The Walking Dead "Slabtown" - The Sound Of The Police

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
The Walking Dead "Slabtown" - The Sound Of The Police

We catch up with Beth Greene and learn that there's something almost as bad as Cannibals. Fans of early 90s hip hop and zombie gore alike are vindicated.

Read Full Article

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
This episode sucked honestly. I was so bored within 15 minutes. "We saved you so you owe us, don't go out there. Why don't you like it here?" This conversation was had at least 4 times in the same damn episode. WE GET IT. Beth is a bad actress, and after everything we've seen her go through already, I nearly lost my mind watching this episode.

Only good thing to come out of the episode was maybe Everybody Hates Chris.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
Judging by the last few incredible and well-written episodes, I really though the show had fixed its horrendous pacing issues. But this episode showed the writers still don't know how to craft a cohesive, compelling narrative. This episode was terrible and it felt like a waste of time. I feel like the events could have been told to the main characters after the fact in a simple five minute scene. Instead, we got an entire tedious, boring, plotless episode.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah those offiers don't know a thing about subtlety at the start of the episode (if you want to keep the patience inside, let them eat their food etc and then bring out the "owes" once the patience want to leave).

Also didn't Rick share his knowledge about smearing zombie blood on yourself to be camoflage among them? Well ok Carol did know that but I don't see why Beth try that method to escaped the place with ease (I assuming the gunshot draw out the cops) ezpecially when she landed on piles of corpses (well ok that probably wouldn't help but still used the zombie gut she just shot)?

Also that scene was another classic example on now unrealistic they are with their gun accuary, Beth was like an aimbot, shooting them all at the head while having a flashlight under the darkness!!

Yeah Dawn is pretty much gone loco and I having a deeling that Edward is going to be killed in one way or another like that doctor/ professor that was with the Govenor.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Haven't read the article because I haven't watched the episode yet but... "It's sound of the police"? Is that a typo? Missing a word? I'm confuseded

JSRevenge

Sep 23, 2014
Good review, Ross.

I disagree with the above replies saying they disliked the episode. If folks want ridiculous, in-your-face action over suspense and world-building, go watch Z Nation or something.

One thing I take issue with is your assertion that Amber (the amputee) was murdered. I thought it was a fairly obvious suicide attempt. She wrote "fuck you" on the floor in what looked like liquid paper (the "f" was obscured by her blood).

Also, I think you're misspelling "Goreman." I only remember because I had the closed captioning on. IMDB lists his name as "Gorman."

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Makabriel said:
Haven't read the article because I haven't watched the episode yet but... "It's sound of the police"? Is that a typo? Missing a word? I'm confuseded
Dammit, yes. It's a KRS-ONE quote. I fixed it. Thanks!

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
JSRevenge said:
Good review, Ross.

I disagree with the above replies saying they disliked the episode. If folks want ridiculous, in-your-face action over suspense and world-building, go watch Z Nation or something.

One thing I take issue with is your assertion that Amber (the amputee) was murdered. I thought it was a fairly obvious suicide attempt. She wrote "fuck you" on the floor in what looked like liquid paper on the floor (the "f" was obscured by her blood).

Also, I think you're misspelling "Goreman." I only remember because I had the closed captioning on. IMDB lists his name as "Gorman."
You're right, and fixed.

I went back on that scene a couple of times. However, Gorman's derisive comment about her - she couldn't get with the program - suggested to me that he might have stabbed her. But you're right, it does support the suicide interpretation. I'm going to do an update taking this into account.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
RossaLincoln said:
Makabriel said:
Dammit, yes. It's a KRS-ONE quote. I fixed it. Thanks!
Hehe, no problem :D For all I knew it made sense in context of the episode, but wasn't sure.

Captcha: Walk the plank. Sheesh, he just made one mistake! Cut him some slack

JSRevenge

Sep 23, 2014
RossaLincoln said:
JSRevenge said:
Good review, Ross.

One thing I take issue with is your assertion that Amber (the amputee) was murdered. I thought it was a fairly obvious suicide attempt. She wrote "fuck you" on the floor in what looked like liquid paper (the "f" was obscured by her blood).

You're right, and fixed.

I went back on that scene a couple of times. However, Gorman's derisive comment about her - she couldn't get with the program - suggested to me that he might have stabbed her. But you're right, it does support the suicide interpretation. I'm going to do an update taking this into account.
I forgot to mention: thanks for the spoiler tag. I bet it feels good for you to actually speak your mind behind that little obfuscation instead of using seething sarcasm.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I liked the change of scenery, but wow did it drag.
JSRevenge said:
It's not that there wasn't action, it's that it wasn't suspenseful. At least, it wasn't for me. The entire situation felt incredibly cliche and to be honest, I find it really hard to believe that anyone would want to leave if it weren't for the rapey cop. They were safe and had food. Those two things are pretty huge.

It wasn't bad, but compared to the rest of the season, it felt like the weakest episode to me.

JSRevenge

Sep 23, 2014
RedDeadFred said:
I liked the change of scenery, but wow did it drag.
JSRevenge said:
It's not that there wasn't action, it's that it wasn't suspenseful. At least, it wasn't for me. The entire situation felt incredibly cliche and to be honest, I find it really hard to believe that anyone would want to leave if it weren't for the rapey cop. They were safe and had food. Those two things are pretty huge.

It wasn't bad, but compared to the rest of the season, it felt like the weakest episode to me.
Well, they played the opposite of your theory out with Woodbury. There was no rape culture there, but when people wanted to leave, they couldn't. I think it's fair to explore other commune dynamics, even if rape seems lazy to some.

As far as weakest episode this season, I would go with S5E2. The canned conversations designed to smooth out everyone's real or perceived beefs with one another was a little pithy for me, and that was half of the dialog. The other half was building up to an anticlimax concerning Father Gabriel.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
I think the apocalypse would bring about an actual rape culture in some groups. If they're goal is showing how various groups of survivors developed and contrasting them with the protagonists, then it seems like a good idea to include something like this episode.

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
RossaLincoln said:
What? No way! I totally didn't see that coming after you ****ing gave it away two weeks ago!

Seriously, this is like giving a review of Game Of Thrones season 3 and sticking Dance With Dragons spoilers at the end.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I think it's pretty clear the armless woman killed herself. If Gorman had killed her for disobedience, he would've pierced her brain to prevent her from coming back. Why would he leave her there to die and turn, then forget she was there and let her eat him?

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Slow ep leading into, well, I imagine the military trikes on Atlanta will look like a slap fight versus what Carol, Daryl, and Beth (Who's pretty formidable for her age, and I don't quite get the hate for her.) are going to do.

Yeah, it's a slow one, but it sets the scene well, I think. Several police versus seasoned zombie killers? Both sides are fairly well trained. Kinda obvious Daryl, Carol, and Beth will survive, but who else will, and what gain will the group have when all's said and done?

Yeah, it's kinda odd Gorman's survived as long as he has being a massive creep, but Dawn seems to just want all the warm bodies she can to hold things down, and Gorman seemed to leave her alone despite hating her, so she didn't have a huge problem.

It's a view into other leaderships, and how people try to get along, and it's not all perfect.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
While I'm not opposed to episodes taking a breather from Rick and Co. though I don't MIND Rick and Co., I couldn't find it in my heart to give ANY shits about Beth.

The pacing wasn't all that great, Noah was pretty okay but they could've have more to do with him and his backstory, Emily Kinney still can't really act and the best part of that episode was Dawn calling Beth's bullshit out about being weak and a burden on everyone because I still think it's true. AT LEAST she gets like A point (placing her at about negative twenty-three on my scoreboard) for helping Noah escape.

Pervy cop is a perv, crazy cop Dawn is crazy, nice doctor with a dark side is probably gonna die soon, blah blah blah. At least Carol's in there to bail Beth's sorry ass out. AGAIN.

(My opinion is not popular opinion but forums exist for a reason and I regret nothing by disliking Beth). We all know she's gonna be okay or else Daryl wouldn't have reacted the way he did at the end of episode 3