the whole "geek chick" thing....

RiboNucleicAxe

May 20, 2011
So you're saying that taking interest in stuff in order to get on with people is a bad thing? I'd say that's generally what people do to be polite...

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
My girlfriend is a proper 'geek chick'. We play games most weekends together and she has a PC, PS3 and a DS.
She is full on nerd as well, which I love. She knows everything about LotR, Doctor Who and Star Trek, whilst I know everything about Star Wars and other misc nerdy stuff.
We actually just recently got through playing Borderlands together, so now we begin the DLC!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
jesskit said:
I have to say legion has it kinda for general fiction based geek, tho why is it alway star wars that makes someone a geek, what bout us who love trek, does that not qualify us hehe :p

Legion said:
loves Star Wars and conventions about it
But seriously there are many types of geeks, computer geeks, science geeks, scifi, fantasy, gamer geeks etc etc. It usually boils down to if someone knows their stuff about their interest areas they are usually a geek to me
I was just using Star Wars as a general example, I would be considered a geek, but I am not a fan of it personally.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
RiboNucleicAxe said:
So you're saying that taking interest in stuff in order to get on with people is a bad thing? I'd say that's generally what people do to be polite...
well I think the distinction here is like

Girlfreind: "so whats this?"
Boyfreind: "its Mass effect 2, wanna see?"
Girlfreind: "hmm I guess.."

as opoased to

Girl:"omg I love mario and nitnendo! I'm such a nerd, behold male geeks, stand before me in awe for I have tits and play video games!"

at least I think anyway

jck4332 said:
I don't get the point of advertising that you are a geek no matter what gender you are to be honest.
the way I see it I think, well If Im going to get a t-shit why not be a t shirt about somthing I think is really cool? and looks cool as well (in my eyes anyway)

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I think if a girl tried to present herself as a geek in order to make me happy that would be kinda nice. That is if she didn't hate "geeky" stuff because if she did that wouldn't be good. If a girl legitimately likes that stuff, then they are instantly cooler in my book(I've met maybe 2-3 total).

A lot of people take on the interests of the person they like. Helps the relationship in my experience.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
It's all hipsters.

Just lock yourself in your room with your Xbox and a gold subscription, occasionally putting forth demands of sustenance and expelling buckets of waste. Everything will be aaaaalll better. Speaking of which, food break!

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
To my mind a geek is merely someone who is overly enthusiastic about niche topics- its very very hard to fake something like that, and those that try can be spotted a mile away.
And yes with all phonies its eye rolling and hilarious, but taking the piss can be hilarious.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
My wife (RIP) could practically quote the rules to AD&D including almost every spell detail.

I think everyone is a geek to someone else. It's a matter of perspective. I'm sure everyone knows someone who can spout sports statistics perfectly and in depth off the top of their head, to me that's geeky.

Sure sports in general are a common subject for enthusiasm but how few people need to be interested in something for it to be called "niche"?

Aside: Grammar Nazis, genuine question. should that question mark have been inside the inverted commas?

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Come to think of it, I actually know no one who tries to be a geek for attention. I guess hypothetically it would be a bit patronising.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
The only real poser stereotypes I've come across are: slut, emo, gangster.

A girl recently challenged me to a game of Mario kart, just for fun.
The only posing she did was saying she could beat me.

ME?
THE GOD OF AWKWARDLY PLACED BANANAS!

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Aetera said:
I think that any distinction made between being a gamer/geek and being a GIRL gamer/geek is ridiculous. I mean, I'm both female and a giant nerd, but I really don't see how one affects the other. They are two completely unrelated things.

Anyone that stresses the fact that they are both a girl and a geek might as well be bragging about being a brunette that is also good at swimming. It just seems like such a non sequitur to me.
True, but considering the emotional immaturity of a large number of the community its not surprising it gets blown out of proportion, hopefully when the prevailing stereotype of the geek being a basement dwelling social reject changes then the "GAMER GURL" phenomenom will also disappear.

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
Togs said:
To my mind a geek is merely someone who is overly enthusiastic about niche topics- its very very hard to fake something like that, and those that try can be spotted a mile away.
And yes with all phonies its eye rolling and hilarious, but taking the piss can be hilarious.
Exactly, you can tell them as soon you ask them about their favourite topic, just like you can with the male geeks.

It's no more annoying than anybody who sticks themselves with any other label anyway.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
It depends on your definition of things...well of geeks anyway, I think we can agree on what a girl is meant to be.

Anyway. I don't think of myself as a geek but I have been called one, due to my knowledge of films, books, comics and games, but I tend to think of geeks as being obsessive.
But back to the topic at hand, I don't think there are many posers, but being a girl on a game related forum always used to get you instant attention (although there are more girls here now then back when I go here, and one of those turned out to be a guy) and that attention can be pretty enjoyable, especially on a more polite forum such as this one. Some people might get carried away in terms of trying to be liked, and this could be where your posers appear.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Being genuinley intelligent with a lust for science and a good understanding of how to conduct rational thought with the ability to avoid fallacies and avoid letting emotions trump over facts is something I like to see in a woman. A woman trying heavily to conform to the nerd stereotype to try to appear intelligent just seems pathetic.

That said, somebody who really likes the Star Wars and spends all day on WoW is considered a nerd. So I guess intelligence isn't a required factor. Well done me, I've refuted my own comment.

Going to agree with zhoominator though.

"Exactly, you can tell them as soon you ask them about their favourite topic, just like you can with the male geeks.

It's no more annoying than anybody who sticks themselves with any other label anyway.
report"

People shouldn't be labelling themslves, they should just do what they want and obtain their societal label naturally.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mandalore_15 said:
Agree with OP. Case in point: Jessica Chobot.
hmmmm not sure if Ive herd of her, so where is she from? like I assume on the internet

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
rokkolpo said:

ME?
I was skimming this thread when that last ALLCAPS sentence jumped out at me.

I was rather relieved when I read the context.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SuperNova221 said:
Being genuinley intelligent with a lust for science and a good understanding of how to conduct rational thought with the ability to avoid fallacies and avoid letting emotions trump over facts is something I like to see in a woman. A woman trying heavily to conform to the nerd stereotype to try to appear intelligent just seems pathetic.

That said, somebody who really likes the Star Wars and spends all day on WoW is considered a nerd. So I guess intelligence isn't a required factor. Well done me, I've refuted my own comment.

Going to agree with zhoominator though.

"Exactly, you can tell them as soon you ask them about their favourite topic, just like you can with the male geeks.

report"

People shouldn't be labelling themslves, they should just do what they want and obtain their societal label naturally.
personally Ive always thourght

Nerd= acedemically focused, like knows science and math

Geek= fiction/ pop culture focused

obviously there is alot of crossover

I would be on the geeky side of things, since I kinda had problems at school, and Im not even at univeristy right now (Ill never call myself stupid however)

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Zhukov said:
rokkolpo said:

ME?
I was skimming this thread when that last ALLCAPS sentence jumped out at me.

I was rather relieved when I read the context.
Thank you so much for pointing that out.
That'll be in my msn name from now on.