The Whole I Hate 'Jocks' Thing

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
reg42 said:
DraftPickle said:
...are yey not equally as shallow if you label people to a certain stereotype?
Not if the person actually does conform to that stereotype. I've met some people who are basically just walking stereotypes.
Pretty much. I mean I hate "Jocks" who are Jocks. I only lable people as jocks if they are big, sporty and (more importantly) bullies. If they're not the last part I'll hang with them as despite being relatively small I too play Sports and quite enjoy drinking. So I have quite a few sporty/big friends and yet I don't consider them jocks. And even then I really don't say I hate jocks completely. I'll more say I hate that guy since he is a big, dumb, meathead bully jock. Whereas I'll say: I like you...you're a jock but a friendly jock so thats fine.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
How old are those records? If they're more than 5 years old then my theory might just prove correct (My theory being that schooling is becoming friendlier for some reason)
Some were released earlier this year so most of the comparative data is 07-08 with provisional stuff from 09 tossed in here and there.

Others were released last year, so it'd be 06-07 with provisional 08.

These are both Federal and State reports.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
What the fuck? All of you need to get your asses down to Australia stat so you can learn how to have a co-existing school environment where no body gets bullied! The sports kids are just kids who play sports, the gangster kids are a bit arrogant and stupid but still alright, the nerds only exist in small numbers and then theres everyone else. We all get along fine, why the hell can't you? The only fights we have are between the Gangster kids because they're idiots, but that doesn't usually branch outside of thier group.
My ex-girlfriend got badly bullied when she lived in Australia, she fell off some monkey bars when these kids were throwing stones at her and she broke one of her ribs, the injury still bothers her today (or was at least when i was going out with her) Your school must be a pretty good one, but i don't think all schools in Australia are like yours.

Like most countries it seems, the UK doesn't really get "jocks". I suppose the closest we have to them are "chavs", they drink a lot, bully people in school, act rebellious and act as general jerks. I think a difference though is that they are universally hated by everyone else, and subject to all sorts of jokes.
E.g- What do a call a chav in a university?
A janitor

Ok...not a brilliant joke i know XD.

Likewise, there is "Moon Chavs"

and the new sport of "Chav Hunting"

Is there much of a hate culture around American Jocks?

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
My previous run-ins with my "fellow" man have been, shall we say "unsatisfactory". Just like many others I have suffered their from elitism and their lack of decency.

Jocks also tend to have a rough time Hollywood productions, where they are portrayed with (according to me) stunning accuracy. I believe in second chances however. If shown that one can rise above the base barbarism of their peers, I will view them differently.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
RhomCo said:
How old are those records? If they're more than 5 years old then my theory might just prove correct (My theory being that schooling is becoming friendlier for some reason)
Some were released earlier this year so most of the comparative data is 07-08 with provisional stuff from 09 tossed in here and there.

Others were released last year, so it'd be 06-07 with provisional 08.

These are both Federal and State reports.
I am very curious to hear what it has to say. Would you kindly provide a link?

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
No what YOU described is a lumberjack just replace alcohol with maple syrup. I hate jocks who fit the stereotype and make fun of nerds you don't fit this stereotype and I don't care what music you listen to I only hate the assholes.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
Furburt said:
There's a reason I hate these 'Jocks' as ye Americans call them. Because they used to beat the shit out of me, psychologically torture me, and I was nearly driven to both suicide and murder. That's the fucking reason.

I don't think that if you're a big guy who drinks, that makes you a jock, what makes a person a jock is a willing disposition to trade intelligence for group mentality and strength, and bully people smaller then themselves. That's what I define it as.

So no, I don't think you're a jock, and anyone who labels you as such is missing the picture. However, I do hate the whole 'jock' mentality.
All hail the mighty, wise and custardly Furburt.

OT: Mostly what Furburt said, but I've had a bit different exposure to jocks, which colours my perception. As a child, even though I was (relatively) small for my age, I was incredibly athletic, and I was considered 'upper percentiles' for intelligence. But I started wearing glasses really early on (I was wearing glasses by age 8), and I was a complete shit-disturber, and therefore, a 'freak'.

Of course, the fact that I was a 'nerd' and a 'freak' didn't sit well with the popular kids, but when it came time to try-out for school teams, or just play intramural sports, they'd all swallow their pride and come begging me to play, because they all knew that I was arguably the best all-around athlete in school, and I was THE best in a couple of specific areas.

But I was still a freak and a nerd, so outside of sports, the jocks and preps didn't really want anything to do with me throughout primary and middle-school, but that mostly changed when I hit high school. I was still a rabble-rouser and a pain-in-the-arse, but the few jocks and preps that really hated me couldn't do much about it, because I was friends with too many people by that point.

But the bias both for and against jocks is kind of silly; just because someone is big and fit doesn't make them stupid, nor does someone being small and 'nerdy-looking' make them physically weak.

JJMUG

Jan 23, 2010
Nickolai77 said:
Is there much of a hate culture around American Jocks?
In the U.S is only Nerds and Geeks are hated. Being a jock is hailed as the best thing a person could be,
education in considered "elitist" and therefore a bad thing.

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
My view on the nerd/jock stereotype thing? In my high school, there were certain...not all, but quite a few...football (American football) players who apparently got so much hero worship for playing sports they decided they were better than everyone else and the only way they could maintain that feeling of supremacy was by picking on the "nerds." Or "geeks." Or "dorks," "poindexters," or whatever other tags they felt like heaping on people who they knew (or thought) wouldn't fight back.

See, because of their "status" as football players, they figured they didn't need to work in any of their classes - they'd just coast by and the teachers would give them passing grades for doing nothing - and therefore to them, anyone who actually demonstrated an interest in doing well in intellectual classes was obviously someone they could (and, in fact, SHOULD, in order to appear more macho in front of their fellows) make fun of.

I was on the "nerd" side of things - insulted verbally, pushed around, tripped in the hallway, locker broken into and one of them took a shit in it - that sort of thing. And I just dealt with it quietly, trying my best to ignore them...at least until one particularly abusive dick decided to start pushing me around in the middle of the hallway without a whole bunch of his friends around to back him up...and I proceeded to completely snap, grab him by the throat, and ram his head into the wall about a half-dozen times - I think he was unconscious by the second, but I was too pissed off to stop until about four other students literally dragged me off the sonofabitch.

Nobody EVER picked on me again after that.

Nowadays, I don't pre-judge anyone based on their size, whether they have a gym membership, whether they play sports, whether they drink, or whatever. Some people who do all of those things are good friends of mine. It's when that sort of person - or, for that matter, any sort of other person regardless of their size - decides to treat someone else like shit because they think they're better than that someone else that I get angry. Or to put it more succinctly, it's not what you are, it's how you treat others.

DraftPickle

Oct 20, 2007
Calatar said:
That or this sites full of insecure dicks
Says the guy posting on the internet to validate his opinion. Now really, you don't need to be so gosh-darn confrontational about your irritation over the use of a stereotype. You're stereotyping the site as full of primarily either shallow or insecure people.
Wow, shitload of replies, reet just for reference:

- I am British, but this piece of shit stereotype is migrating
- If your gonna quote me and make me look like a tool, at least put it in context, this ain't the Daily Mail (Fox for you Americans), I did infact say it was for point making purposes, y'know because I know it isn't.
- This site has quite alot of stories of people who maybe *what you would wrongly stereotype as nerds* (thats point making again prickface) have been nerds, squaring upto 'Jocks' and changing their lives at school or whatever

Calatar

May 13, 2009
DraftPickle said:
Wow, shitload of replies, reet just for reference:

- I am British, but this piece of shit stereotype is migrating
Migrating where? What's your evidence for that? And it's not like this stereotype hasn't existed for ages in both Britain and America. Is this an attempt to raise consciousness on this issue?
- If your gonna quote me and make me look like a tool, at least put it in context, this ain't the Daily Mail (Fox for you Americans), I did infact say it was for point making purposes, y'know because I know it isn't.
For point making purposes. Right.
The apparently rhetorical point that "most" members this site need to defend themselves from the accusation that they are shallow or insecure pricks else be categorized as such.
You know I addressed the majority of your post, sentence by sentence, and the original post is linked to. I'd hardly call my response the equivalent of Fox News or the Daily Mail.
- This site has quite alot of stories of people who maybe *what you would wrongly stereotype as nerds* (thats point making again prickface) have been nerds, squaring upto 'Jocks' and changing their lives at school or whatever
Ooh, nice point-making there. Where the point is that you are incapable of responding to criticism without being insulting.

Could you please link me to one of these "alot of stories"? I'm afraid I haven't seen any of them. Not that they don't exist, but their stated prevalence is somewhat apocryphal at this point.

Also your explanation of these sort of stories is lacking in what I would call a harmful use of the stereotype. It sounds like these are stories of people confronting bullies. Maybe you object to the idea that bullies are "stereotypical Jocks"?

Could you please clarify exactly what you're complaining about?