The Wishlist: Munitio SV Earphones

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
... $130!? I thought my $30 Razer Moray headphones were a tad on the pricey side. I don't see how these could be much better, especially to justify that price.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Link in the description is borked.

"the wubiest of wub wub"
And thus, a new playlist is born.

I've had flat cable headphones for a while and never have they been as tangled as all other prior headphones but the sound is a bit meh and without the control button things.
I think these are worth a look into!

don_geilo

Aug 30, 2010
They sure seem nice, alas, that price seems me a cost i shall not bear, since I pay less than half elsewhere.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
*See video*
Ooh, pretty headphones, I need new buds.
*Impressed by everything*
Wow, so how much are th-
Nevermind...

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
They look a little pricey -then again I don't like to spend too much for in ears but I recommend a pair of sennheisers as they are decent quality and good value for money but if your after an inline remote these seem good.

Chrono212 said:
snip

"the wubiest of wub wub"
And thus, a new playlist is born.
Agreed.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Hmm, I've never heard of this make, I wonder if they are actually any good...

Frequency Response (low): 20 Hz
Frequency Response (high): 20 kHz

That'll be a 'no' then :) More of a fashion statement, no wonder it works so well with Apple products.

For truly wubby wub-wub check out the low range on my (cheaper) Sony MDRXB40EX ;)

Frequency Response (low): 4 Hz
Frequency Response (high): 24 kHz

Thanks for the show though, Ashley! :D

Spakka

Oct 27, 2012
LordFish said:

That'll be a 'no' then :) More of a fashion statement, no wonder it works so well with Apple products.

For truly wubby wub-wub check out the low range on my (cheaper) Sony MDRXB40EX ;)

Except of course it's pointless to judge headphone by their published specifications.

Of course these headphones are probably terrible, like all 'gamer' headsets and 'surround sound' headphones.
As we are told they have boosted treble and bass, we can enjoy a sucked-out midrange and so lose the vast majority of the information in the music, you know like vocals and most instruments.

Maybe you should try having an actually good headphone on the 'wishlist'? Maybe an HD800? LCD3? Stax 009? You know a headphone someone might actually wish for!

P.s. HD800 = 14-44100Hz (-3dB). Of course frequency responses are pointless unless you include the acceptable decibel loss they are measured from. (in HD800 it changes to 6-51000Hz if you accept a 10dB loss).

P.p.s. Why would you recommend these headphones for travelling? They appear quite clearly open design - they will have terrible isolation! No isolation = bad audio quality or hearing damage. Nice.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
LordFish said:

Specs aren't everything; companies can claim a 4-24k response range, but it might have an awful frequency response curve. Munitio could be modest with their advertised 20-20k response range.

I know nothing about your pair from Sony, or about any of Munitio's products, I'm just saying you can't determine sound quality purely from that one set of numbers.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Spakka said:
UNHchabo said:
I know frequency response isn't a great indication of quality, but it gives you an idea and helpdesk weed out the 20-20k's that tend to be god awful (Skull Candy, Dre Beats and the like)

And just like anything the manufacturers will try and bend the rules as much as they can, but when they are all bending the rules the same amount it gives you a yard stick to work to.

Additionally those Sony's have a 13.5mm driver and do indeed kick out some very rich bass, so the 4hz did indeed indicate reality :)

zerodrk

Nov 12, 2010
i must request more jokes on your videos "the wubiest of wub wub" was ok but when you told that quick story about you and your guild it made me laugh so hard i though it was good video the camera rig was diferent but still a bit funny

remember they dont have to be real story or exclusive to you maybe from someone else from the production just add a bit ok geekiness and should be fine :D

good luck

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
I like the idea of this series but hey sound too much like commercials to me. Also the only thing so far that actually could have been on my wish list is the logitech headset. The other products are quite obscure.
As for headphones, for travelling I would recommend Etymotic HF2/5 (one of the models has a microphone). They have excellent isolation (but not not much bass)
I also have monster turbines - they have a strong bass - too much for me. They are also quite heavy. So now i am using Vsonic GR06 which are more balanced but not very comfortable. But both of these have worse isolation than the HF2.
There are also good sony, senn an other in ear headphones that i am just not familiar with.
Also, for long traveling you might be better off using on ear and not in ear headphones. There are a lot of closed and noise cancelling headphones to choose from (active noise cancelling is quite bad on most headphones, and requires a battery. But there are some really good ones as well.)
And like others mentioned before me - technical specs on headphones are totally useless.
I would really like to see some more practical gadgets on the wishlist like: fancy keyboards (mechanical, with LCDs on every key, strange layouts etc) , mice with a lot of buttons like the naga for mmos or with high accuracy for FPS, fancy mousepads (you will be surprised how many different ones exist), game controllers of various kinds (steering wheels, pedals, joysicks, gamepads) and general silly stuff like the diablo 3 usb memory stick or game character statues.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I won't buy any headphones that aren't behind the neck anymore. They're so convenient

LordFish said:
Spakka said:
UNHchabo said:
I know frequency response isn't a great indication of quality, but it gives you an idea and helpdesk weed out the 20-20k's that tend to be god awful (Skull Candy, Dre Beats and the like)

And just like anything the manufacturers will try and bend the rules as much as they can, but when they are all bending the rules the same amount it gives you a yard stick to work to.

Additionally those Sony's have a 13.5mm driver and do indeed kick out some very rich bass, so the 4hz did indeed indicate reality :)

Lol. Except humans can't hear sounds lower than 20 hz and higher than 20,000 hz (20 khz)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
$130? You can keep 'em. I'll stack my $10 (including shipping) pair from monoprice against most of the expensive ones in this thread, and really anything over $30 would be better spent on actual stereo components, not some easily lost piece of portable equipment.

By the way, don't just take my word on those monoprice earbuds, the headfi forum loves them, and is how I found out about them. They're apparently as good or better than most sets of earbuds costing less than $50.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-new-mp9927-pg-208-mp8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club

^That's the forum thread where people found out about them

http://www.head-fi.org/products/monoprice-8320-iem/reviews

^and here's the review page for the silver model. The other colors come with additional tips, but are otherwise identical. Notice that they're listed as #6 in universal fit. That's #6 out of all of the non-custom earbuds people have reviewed on there, regardless of price.

Edit: To describe the sound, it's balanced and full range. Nothing over emphasized, nothing under emphasized. The drivers are 14. something (I want to say 14.2?) millimeters, which in an earbud is ginormous. As the old saying goes, "there's no replacement for displacement." They don't have a microphone or one of those control buttons, but monoprice does sell a model which has one. Word is the sound isn't bad, although it's not as good as these.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Lol. Except humans can't hear sounds lower than 20 hz and higher than 20,000 hz (20 khz)
Hence the whole paragraph about 'rule-bending', 'yardsticks' and 'Indications of performance'. I know the ear phones sound good low down, my sound tech mate said the bass was richer than a lot of other buds so I'd like to postulate a corelation between 'published low end frequency range' and subjective quality.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
Ooo, I am VERY interested :) Have been wanting another pair to keep at work

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I prefer cans for my editing needs, but that's just me.

Anyways, I've been looking around to replace my Skullcandy buds and I was looking at those. A little expensive, but if it means I can fiddle with my ipod's EQ setting without much annoyance then happy day.

...Yes, I know I have a problem, but at least I embrace it. :D

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
But you can feel the the below 20Hz frequencies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound
Though I highly doubt that any in ear headphone is capable of doing that due to the amount of power required to make it noticable.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LordFish said:
Yeah, how DARE they only include the maximum human hearing range!

...I feel dirty for participating in product placement.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Costia said:
Though I highly doubt that any in ear headphone is capable of doing that due to the amount of power required to make it noticable.
There will always be people who buy it anyway. I mean, there's people who swear they can tell the difference even if they can't in a lab test (These people predate dubstep by a fair margin).

There's also these people [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10233-PC-Gamer-Master-Card].