The Witcher 3's Second Playable Character Revealed

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
erttheking said:
Thorn14 said:
erttheking said:
A female character? In the Witcher? WHO DOESN'T HAVE HER TITS OUT!? Well...that's actually interesting. Geralt has an apprentice? Well, that actually makes sense. The Witchers are down to the single digits and he's getting on in years. He needs someone to pick up the mantle when he's gone. The one complaint that I have is that for someone who's supposed to be a monster hunter, she doesn't look that rugged. Though that could be justified considering she's still green. Although considering her hair is white, that should be an indication that she's got the Witcher mutagens in her body.

Also I have to admit I'd really like to see it if she could fuck guys the same way that Geralt fucks girls.

HEY UBISOFT! Is designing female characters still too hard!?
Ubisoft should have said "Your multiplayer character is based on how you customize Arno." instead, since that would have been the truth and...not as stupid as a statement to make.

Also she doesn't have the Witcher mutations which would make her immune to STDs and (I would assume) pregnancy. The STD thing is why Geralt and other Witchers can sleep his way around the world.
No Witcher mutagens? Then what's the deal with the white hair?
Not all Witchers have white hair. I remember them mentioning that when replaying the first game, anyway. It's just Geralt's thing.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Does that you well be having every male character throwing themselves at you when you play as her? lol.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
This must be why the game keeps getting delayed, they're taking several months reorganising the game to pander to the feminazis!

[BTW I AM JOKING! PLEASE, DON'T KILL ME]

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
erttheking said:
Thorn14 said:
erttheking said:
A female character? In the Witcher? WHO DOESN'T HAVE HER TITS OUT!? Well...that's actually interesting. Geralt has an apprentice? Well, that actually makes sense. The Witchers are down to the single digits and he's getting on in years. He needs someone to pick up the mantle when he's gone. The one complaint that I have is that for someone who's supposed to be a monster hunter, she doesn't look that rugged. Though that could be justified considering she's still green. Although considering her hair is white, that should be an indication that she's got the Witcher mutagens in her body.

Also I have to admit I'd really like to see it if she could fuck guys the same way that Geralt fucks girls.

Ubisoft should have said "Your multiplayer character is based on how you customize Arno." instead, since that would have been the truth and...not as stupid as a statement to make.

Also she doesn't have the Witcher mutations which would make her immune to STDs and (I would assume) pregnancy. The STD thing is why Geralt and other Witchers can sleep his way around the world.
No Witcher mutagens? Then what's the deal with the white hair?
Not all Witcher's have white hair. Geralt is actually the exception. If I recall, its because of a freak accident during his trial.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
K12 said:
This must be why the game keeps getting delayed, they're taking several months reorganizing the game to pander to the feminazis!

I get that its a joke, but its kinda getting pretty annoying that every female character always gets associated with feminism. I mean remember when you could have female characters and a fucking political debate didn't happen with every game?

Those where the days.

OT: Really need to read dem books and do a replay of 1 and 2. Most likely not in time to play W3 though.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Wait, I'm suddenly confused. If the second playable character is Ciri, who's the other dude fighting alongside Geralt in the Game Awards trailer? I thought that he would be the other playable character.

Yeah, I'm less excited about this than some. My problem is that Ciri in the books was so boringly perfect and perfectly boring. All the interesting stuff that could have been done with her character was hindered by the fact that she's such an annoying character.

Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see if the game can improve on the books in this regard.

EDIT: Reading the Eurogamer article, and they misidentify Ciri as an elf. This is false to the best of my knowledge, as her (very human) heritage was a fairly major part of her character arc.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Oh sweet, going by the first two games I kind of thought they just weren't going to include Ciri in the game series at all.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I am not too far into the books but I do like Ciri so this could further increase my chance to buy before a sale.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds good. always enjoy playing female protagonists. lets see how close we can bond with her. have to see if i will get it on day one though. im afraid they will release, as with part 2, a special edition with extra content.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
SUPA FRANKY said:
K12 said:
This must be why the game keeps getting delayed, they're taking several months reorganizing the game to pander to the feminazis!

I get that its a joke, but its kinda getting pretty annoying that every female character always gets associated with feminism. I mean remember when you could have female characters and a fucking political debate didn't happen with every game?

Those where the days.

OT: Really need to read dem books and do a replay of 1 and 2. Most likely not in time to play W3 though.
Yeah I agree, honestly I just wanted to make that point sarcastically before some tosser actually tried to argue it for real...

I guess I'm also part of the problem.

Apr 28, 2008
I hope that while playing as her you have the option of sleeping with tons of dudes and collecting cards of nude men. It'd only be fair, really. Witcher 1 had the nudie woman cards, Witcher 2 had none, so... yeah Witcher 3 should have nude dude cards. Again, it'd only be fair.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
T8B95 said:
Wait, I'm suddenly confused. If the second playable character is Ciri, who's the other dude fighting alongside Geralt in the Game Awards trailer? I thought that he would be the other playable character.

Yeah, I'm less excited about this than some. My problem is that Ciri in the books was so boringly perfect and perfectly boring. All the interesting stuff that could have been done with her character was hindered by the fact that she's such an annoying character.

Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see if the game can improve on the books in this regard.

EDIT: Reading the Eurogamer article, and they misidentify Ciri as an elf. This is false to the best of my knowledge, as her (very human) heritage was a fairly major part of her character arc.
Well I hear the entire Witcher game series has been made on the basis of pissing the original writer off, so there's always potential there.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I just wish she wasn't been limited to such a small portion of the game. If I do get the game, I might just end up playing to the point where you play as her, and just not progress story-wise to the point where she's wrenched away. <.<
Hopefully there's enough to repeat, and carry the game a while. Odds are dim that once you beat her section, you'll ever play as her again.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
erttheking said:
Well I hear the entire Witcher game series has been made on the basis of pissing the original writer off, so there's always potential there.
Oh don't get me wrong, that's always fun. While I like the books well enough, there's absolutely no denying that Sapkowski's got a thin skin and massive ego, and sometimes things need to be/should be changed, both for the purposes of the medium and for storytelling purposes.

There's an important distinction though. The games aren't made to piss off Sapkowski. The games try as hard as they can to stay consistent to the universe in which they're created. Sapkowski can't handle that someone else is playing in his sandbox, so he likes to go "Nuh-uh, doesn't count!" Which I normally understand from creators, and even condone to a degree, but when the games are the main thing that have brought the series to international attention...it's a little selfish.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
sageoftruth said:
I hope she has some unique spells. After all, unlike Geralt, she was trained as a witcher and as a sorceress.

I'll be kind of disappointed if she and Geralt play exactly the same. I'm basically hoping for someone with slightly weaker combat and slightly stronger magic.
She has to play different since in the lore she was very different. each witcher has there own spells/ way of fighting. also this is cd projeckt red son! they dont fuck around!

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Fappy said:
The only thing that could make this better is if you got to play her frequently enough to get victory sex when you save some random dudes. I just assume sexual favors are a Witcher's preferred form of payment.
She... plays for the other team.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
T8B95 said:
erttheking said:
Oh don't get me wrong, that's always fun. While I like the books well enough, there's absolutely no denying that Sapkowski's got a thin skin and massive ego, and sometimes things need to be/should be changed, both for the purposes of the medium and for storytelling purposes.

There's an important distinction though. The games aren't made to piss off Sapkowski. The games try as hard as they can to stay consistent to the universe in which they're created. Sapkowski can't handle that someone else is playing in his sandbox, so he likes to go "Nuh-uh, doesn't count!" Which I normally understand from creators, and even condone to a degree, but when the games are the main thing that have brought the series to international attention...it's a little selfish.
I havent heard this? when did he do all that?
what did he do?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
erttheking said:

She doesn't have the Witcher mutagens, it's her natural hair color. And white hair isn't an indicator. Of all the known Witchers, Geralt is the only one who got his hair pigment removed due to mutation.

He took her as his apprentice back in the books. Later on she spent some time in a gang, then being forced to fight in an arena while being drugged. Also the elf king and the Emperor of Nilfgaard both wanted to force themselves upon her, but she escaped from the elf king and the Emperor had a change of heart and let her go. She reunited with Geralt and Yennefer in the last book, but then both of them got killed during the pogrom in Rivia. After their burial, God knows what she did in the six year gap between the books and the third game.

And as far as it is known, she's not into guys.
No, the TV series pissed him off to no end. As for the games, he just doesn't care.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
rbstewart7263 said:
T8B95 said:
I havent heard this? when did he do all that?
what did he do?
Well first of all, it seems Sapkowski was pretty disillusioned with his success by the time he finished the saga. Minor spoilers, but at the end of the saga Yennefer, Geralt and Triss all die in a riot pretty much unrelated to the main conflict of the books. Sapkowski made several claims to the effect of saying that he regretted writing the saga and that he preferred his other historically influenced series, the Hussite trilogy. Which, yes authors can have works that they like better than others, but Sapkowski was openly scornful of his greatest success.

A few years go by, during which a godawful movie and a mediocre-at-best TV series are made on the Witcher series. Sapkowski sticks to his claim that he's never going to return to the series, continued regrets, etc. Then in 2007, the first Witcher game is released. It stays far truer to both the theme and the details of the story and is far more successful both in Eastern Europe and internationally. The sequel is made, and new attention is given to the books, including English translations which are ongoing as we speak.

With this new attention, Sapkowski pulls a 180, saying that the Witcher was his best idea and greatest creation. This statement wouldn't get a lot of attention, except for the fact that Sapkowski publicly stated in 2012 that he considered the continuity of the games to be a load of shit, and threatened to write another book that completely overrode the changes made by the games (namely the survival of Geralt, Triss, and Yennefer). Thankfully his new book didn't override the changes, being a prequel, but Sapkowski still comes off as rather sore about the whole ordeal.