The Witcher 3's Second Playable Character Revealed

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Scorpid said:
Anyone else think Witcheress rolls off the tongue like a brick? I don't think the Witcher needs to be a gender specific title at least since a Witch is a gender specific title so Witcheress is like a double feminine.
My thoughts exactly. It's like calling a widow a widowress.
But then again, I don't know much about the Witcher lore, perhaps a witcher is more than a male witch.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
.......*sigh*

during special sections of the game's plot
This makes me think that Projekt has gone all Mass Effect. TW2 was suffering from irrelevance enough as it was.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
T8B95 said:
Thankfully his new book didn't override the changes, being a prequel, but Sapkowski still comes off as rather sore about the whole ordeal.
It seemed to me that he was wasn't so much upset at the games, but rather so many people thinking it was a game first.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Was saying they should make her playable hopefully if they continue the series you can just be her as the main protagonist, since she'll use the same fighting mechanics as Geralt would due to being trained by Witchers it would make sense for them to have her as a playable character now hopefully all her scenes don't exist to get her half naked or defenseless.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Fappy said:
The only thing that could make this better is if you got to play her frequently enough to get victory sex when you save some random dudes. I just assume sexual favors are a Witcher's preferred form of payment.
Except the fact that she's bi at best, you re-meet her as a lesbian she only sleeps with men due to circumstances in the books and it doesn't seem like she likes it all that much its more of a bargain, if CD put it in they'd push the girl x girl action and give you the lamest uglist dudes to discourage anyone wanting to persue that option. At the latest book she wasn't really looking for either type of lover. I'd support naked Geralt and of course Ciri getting some hot man action she initiates but I really doubt they'll do that for pandering purposes.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
white_wolf said:
Fappy said:
The only thing that could make this better is if you got to play her frequently enough to get victory sex when you save some random dudes. I just assume sexual favors are a Witcher's preferred form of payment.
Except the fact that she's bi at best, you re-meet her as a lesbian she only sleeps with men due to circumstances in the books and it doesn't seem like she likes it all that much its more of a bargain, if CD put it in they'd push the girl x girl action and give you the lamest uglist dudes to discourage anyone wanting to persue that option. At the latest book she wasn't really looking for either type of lover. I'd support naked Geralt and of course Ciri getting some hot man action she initiates but I really doubt they'll do that for pandering purposes.
Dude! That's gross! They have a father-daughter relationship!

Alex1508

Sep 20, 2014
erttheking said:
A female character? In the Witcher? WHO DOESN'T HAVE HER TITS OUT!?
Well.....kinda? I mean that shirt she is wearing is loosely tied over her breasts actually and she still wears tight leather pants, a leather corset and high heels.

http://i.imgur.com/2oawFsv.jpg

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Scorpid said:
Anyone else think Witcheress rolls off the tongue like a brick? I don't think the Witcher needs to be a gender specific title at least since a Witch is a gender specific title so Witcheress is like a double feminine.
'Witcher' isn't a gender specific title since witchers are by precedent entirely male, witcher is a job in the same way as exterminator is.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
This was rather expected to be perfectly honest if you payed attention to Witcher 2.

With that said..I'm really hyped for this because I'm half way done with the books and Ciri and Yennefer are the most important characters in the Witcher universe and Geralt's main objective in the books and in game. The political side of it all it's just "filler" for him even though he is always caught in it.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Irridium said:
I hope that while playing as her you have the option of sleeping with tons of dudes and collecting cards of nude men. It'd only be fair, really. Witcher 1 had the nudie woman cards, Witcher 2 had none, so... yeah Witcher 3 should have nude dude cards. Again, it'd only be fair.
As far as Ciri goes, she isn't full Witcher, so most probably fucking around could be problematic for her.
But cards MUST return, I really liked those

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Insulting at the end of the day, adding a "man with boobs" character thinking it will deflect attention from their Whitey McWhiterson privileged male focused series?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Scorpid said:
In the books, they just called her a "Witcher" like all the others. Then again, for some odd reason I can't remember, she was the only female witcher, so the others had probably never found an occasion to come up with a word for female witcher. There seemed to be a huge gender divide with witchery favoring men and sorcery favoring women.

Andrzej Sapkowski made it no secret that racism and sexism ran rampant in this world, but I think the lore was that male genes were needed to survive the drugs used in the process of turning someone into a witcher. Because of that, Ciri was trained by witchers but was never given the chemicals needed to fully become one.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Fappy said:
Nah. It's definitely money. Witchers are mercenaries through and though (or they try to be at least). Sex is just an added bonus that comes with being tall dark, mysterious, and physically incapable of accidentally making someone pregnant.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
sageoftruth said:
Shouldn't she necessarily have weaker/slower melee compared to Geralt? I mean, she wasn't put through the special diet, trial of the grasses, or the mutagens, was she? She basically got just the training, like Leo (the one who dies in the prologue in the first Witcher game).

Two things worth noting:

1. She's a witcher, a sorceress, and a princess. The story the innkeeper in Murky Waters tells about destiny, the witcher who was killed by an untrained peasant and the woman who was a witcher, a princess and a sorceress is about Geralt and Ciri. Geralt doesn't remember it at the time, because of that whole having been dead for a while thing.
Ciri was never given the trials because the Witchers did't know how to perform it and Triss refused to do it. Ciri is a source and a very powerful one at that, but not a Witcher. Personally I am interested in how the business with her running around with the Rats will factor into this. Ciri knows witcher combat styles and was trained by Yennefer in the ways of magic.

T8B95 said:
EDIT: Reading the Eurogamer article, and they misidentify Ciri as an elf. This is false to the best of my knowledge, as her (very human) heritage was a fairly major part of her character arc.
She has the Elder Blood in her veins and the blood of Falka. Her son is destined to destory the world.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
ForumSafari said:
Scorpid said:
'Witcher' isn't a gender specific title since witchers are by precedent entirely male, witcher is a job in the same way as exterminator is.
Wait, wouldn't Witcher's being entirely male make it a gender specific title by necessity? I don't actually have a dog in this fight (only played the first one and never really got into it) but I agree with the other poster, "Witcheress" sounds really dumb and seems like an unnecessary distinction. Also I don't really know what this has to do with anything but there are female exterminators and we don't go around calling them "exterminatrix's" although I doubt they'd mind since that sounds fucking radical.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
J Tyran said:
Insulting at the end of the day, adding a "man with boobs" character thinking it will deflect attention from their Whitey McWhiterson privileged male focused series?
Whats actually insulting is that statement. Do you go up to brusque women who have a bit of toughness to them and call them out as "playing at being men" or something to that degree? Very sexist and ignorant In my very honest opinion.

Also youd do well to know that in the witcher series witchers are outcasts and geralt as well is an outcast at times.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
rbstewart7263 said:
J Tyran said:
Whats actually insulting is that statement. Do you go up to brusque women who have a bit of toughness to them and call them out as "playing at being men" or something to that degree? Very sexist and ignorant In my very honest opinion.

Also youd do well to know that in the witcher series witchers are outcasts and geralt as well is an outcast at times.
Well and extensively researched feminist studies have carefully defined the "man with boobs" concept, are you accusing them of sexism?

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
J Tyran said:
rbstewart7263 said:
J Tyran said:

Well and extensively researched feminist studies have carefully defined the "man with boobs" concept, are you accusing them of sexism?
I believe you are using the authority fallacy here. It applies because media portrayal is subjective not objective. Ergo It doesnt matter what countless writers or "authorities" may have said regarding the trope because its very existance is due to a matter of opinion. The man with boobs differentiates itself from capable women in that that character "goes too far" to be strong and eliminates feminizing traits from that character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgqM6xeZHNM

You seem to lack a knowledge of ciri. while she is "just as strong as the witcher menz" She has been characterized extensively from sapkowski's witcher novels and indeed possess's both strength as well as feminity as well as other personality traits.

To qualify for the "man with boobs" trope. SHe would have to have just been made as a counter to the man. Like "Hey people are calling us sexist lets make a character just like the witcher but a girl!" or something lazy. Ciri however started out as a princess at birth from the first witcher book and grew from there. it goes on and on but yeah character and background.

Oh and to answer your question no I am not calling them sexist those who appropriately use said trope to describe a character but when someone bumbles in and goes "pfft something sexist how typical" and leaves it at that whilst being wrong I indeed consider that nonsense and in this particular case very sexist or at the least,ignorant and uninformed.