The World Does Not Hate Captain America

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Most of the active pro-American-ism makes sense in the context and so doesn't seem overdone. Also, it's made clear that Steve Rogers hates the propaganda side of things.
Once it gets to being a war/superhero film, patriotism is irrelevant next to the good guy vs. bad guy thing.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
The irony is that Captain America has never been a "America Fuck Yeah" character. In fact he's probably got a stronger track record than most for criticising mindless jingoism. You want unconditional admiration of the USA just look to Superman...

I'm a little surprised at Thor outperforming X-men First Class. I wonder if the disapointing Last Stand and execrable Wolverine have done lasting damage to that franchise.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
It doesn't hurt that Captain Amercia was, oh what's the word, the best of the Marvel superhero flicks by a considerable margain.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
misterv said:
I've been to see this film 3 times I enjoyed it so much. I come from the UK and I'd still happily watch a film this good that was about Captain Brazil or Captain Italy. Just because the story is around an American patriot doesn't mean it loses its value overseas.
Not even that, Captain America is not even that patriotic his whole image was made by the investors of the super soldier program. He?s just a guy doing the right thing, it especially shows when the doctor (can?t remember his name) asks him if he wants to kill some Nazis and he replies with along the lines of ?I just want to stop the bullies and prevent people getting hurt?.

That?s why I think he works internationally in this film because he?s a patriot of Good, not a country.

Dec 27, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
I love the fact that instead of going all "ideal american = america is ideal", Captain America is just "ideal person"; Good all the way to his core and it's an ideal to aspire to and be inspired by.
Exactly. I enjoyed the film, it was definitely better than Thor, but Hollywood shouldn't take this as a cue to start throwing American patriots into every film, which they probably will now.
Another thing; why does this film's success justify 3D? Seriously, I don't know I single person who saw this in 3D.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Just because america is in the title doesnt mean anything, 2 points about the stupidity of thinking it would only do well in america:
1. Its about world war 2 so has a pretty big audience right there.
2. It doesnt spent the whole time sucking up to the U.S. Military, unlike some recent film franchises *cough*Transformers*Cough*
(There is also a slight third point of ITS A FUCKING COMIC BOOK MOVIE, fantasy is loved everywhere)

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
It's a film which could have gone badly wrong, and come across as a film which was overly patriotic, cheesy and worse of all tried to pass itself off as serious.

But it wasn't, they handled a difficult subject matter well. This was done by making it more about the Captain being a "good person" rather than the nation he symbolises as being good. Captain America doesn't actually represent America as "good", but he represents a good American, which is fine, anyone can relate to that.

I liked how also America's allies were given "diplomatic" treatment. Captain America rescued them from captivity, and then they later on in the film "rescued" the Captain. Basically, it's team work- Captain America relies on his allies, and his allies relay on Captain America, and that's the metaphor that people outside America want when looking back on WW2- not the America saves the world single-handedly lark, which was parodied in "Team America".

I'm slightly worried however that Hollywood feared this film wouldn't sell abroad because they worried it was overly-patriotic. This suggests that Hollywood doesn't know it's international audience all that well since it doesn't know what non-American audiences like and don't like. You'd have thought with all the international talent in Hollywood they'd have some idea as to what the outside world likes and doesn't like.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Lold at green lantern budget and earnings. That is most positively a shitty movie.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Maybe international audiences are pining for the days when "I'm an American" was a statement of quiet pride, rather than a shout of macho superiority.

Full disclosure: I'm an American.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Togs said:
Meh theres no "AMURCA FUCK YEAH" in the film, its proletysing is more about being a good person in general.
Thats the kind of thing that would have put off so many people around the world.

But if you want it here it is

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Zing said:
He's just wrong for Green Latern, but perfect for Deadpool.
Disagree. Yes he's a fantastic actor, but he's not loud, not vulgar, and not rough sounding enough to play Deadpool imo.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Marik2 said:
Togs said:
Meh theres no "AMURCA FUCK YEAH" in the film, its proletysing is more about being a good person in general.
Thats the kind of thing that would have put off so many people around the world.

But if you want it here it is
Now that was just brilliant.

OT: I loved the movie, and don't live anywhere near the States. It didn't try to alienate foreigners by saying "this is OUR hero only, gottit?" Rather, it showed him as a hero that fought for values that anybody could identify with.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
Snowalker said:
Greg Tito said:
Oh, Green Lantern. I think you may have single-handedly ruined Ryan Reynolds career. And for that, we thank you.
Speak for yourself, he's a good actor, Waiting and Buried? Hell, he was even decent in Blade and Wolverine even though those movies sucked. He has the tendency to be in bad movies, not being a bad actor.
Blasphemy, Blade trinity was the movie of my early teens! But yeah I agree he is a pretty damn good actor...

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
One thing though, why has Thor out performed First Class? That ain't right.
Thor outperformed them all... That ain't right.

But, yes, fantastic movie.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
As others have said - it was a good movie, that's why it did well internationally (for the record I'm from the UK). I thought it was the best of the comic movies this year, and it used it's budget effectively: Thor had fx heavy scenes but the Earth stuff was dull, Green Lantern I didn't watch but looked terrible, First Class was very good but was patchy in parts - i.e. whenever the focus wasn't on Magneto and/or Xavier.

I don't think Cap suffered from jingoism which was concievably a risk, but even if it had, provided it was entertaining enough (which it was) it would probably still have made good money overseas - look at how Independence Day did, and that movie couldn't be more offensively "patriotic" if it tried.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Togs said:
This.

Captain America was made in the time (and set in the time) where America being a badass was needed and not just the modern day of teabag everyone