The World Does Not Hate Captain America

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Togs said:
Meh theres no "AMURCA FUCK YEAH" in the film, its proletysing is more about being a good person in general.
And Cap in the comics has generally not been a nationalistic dick.

It's kinda funny that way, since his costume IS the freaking flag and stuff.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Snowalker said:
Greg Tito said:
Oh, Green Lantern. I think you may have single-handedly ruined Ryan Reynolds career. And for that, we thank you.
Speak for yourself, he's a good actor, Waiting and Buried? Hell, he was even decent in Blade and Wolverine even though those movies sucked. He has the tendency to be in bad movies, not being a bad actor.
I agree with that greatly. I think that he'll probably shine in the Deadpool movie. And to a lesser extent, I think that I count Robert Pattinson in that "In a lot of bad movies but not a bad actor". I really thought he was quite good in Harry Potter but he's been in some terrible films afterwards. Twilight (Twishite, Sparkles the Vampire) is awfully directed and scripted. Give the best actor in the world the worst movie to work with, he might polish the turd but it's still a turd. Try as he might, I don't think that he'd be able to give a decent performance with half of those lines and then being asked to look deadpan whilst doing it.

I know a lot of people hate him but I wouldn't like to see an actor's career fail because their agent is bad a choosing films or somebody can't script.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
I'm not interested in the film because I don't like abstract extremes. No one is 100% good to the core, just like no one is 100% evil. He's not a rich character. Just a personification of justice or whatever.

Doesn't interest me atall.

I like my heroes slightly unhinged.
I'm not sure Cap is supposed to be 100% good in this movie. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been presented as such.

Can't help you with unhinged, though. Maybe in Captain America 3, the Super Soldier serum can cause him to comb his hair forward in an emo fringe and tango.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well who wouldn't like a guy who has knocked out Hitler over 200 times?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
You guys were nice enough to put in an English sidekick, of course we watched it!

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Zing said:
Greg Tito said:
I think you may have single-handedly ruined Ryan Reynolds career. And for that, we thank you.
What?

Reynolds is a fantastic actor. If you disagree you haven't seen Buried.

He's just wrong for Green Latern, but perfect for Deadpool.
I don't know, I don't have enough knowledge of comics, to discuss his deadpool performance, but I just can't see him in any semi-serious role.... I like him as an actor, but my impression is, that he reached his peak with party animals.

"We are very pleased with Captain America's international results so far, which clearly demonstrate the worldwide popularity of the iconic lead character as well as the continuing power of 3D at the box office," said Paramount Pictures International president Andrew Cripps.
sigh, /facepalm. I think this just smacks of desperation given that 3D is becoming less and less popular. Why are studios so intent on pushing it? 3D is trash.
The thing is, with the additional 3-D fee, the studio is able to make more money out of the movie. The movie may not be more popular trough 3-D, but the studios gain more trough it, if the sales reach a certain number. There is a reason why there are so many movies this year that reach the one billion mark (beside the inflation).

As for Captain America, I don't get the praise for the movie, I thought it was pretty average/boring. Maybe it's because I'm not American and the whole theme of the movie seemed to push these American values that Captain America is suppose to portray.
I need to wait another week, till I can see it, the only thing I can talk about, is the trailer... and it looks decent enough to watch it (at least as non-3-d version)

Also just because a lot of people went to see it doesn't meant hey didn't hate it. I saw it opening weekend because I enjoy superhero movies. But I found it inferior to Thor and certainly inferior to First Class.
As mentioned before, that what counts are the box-office results.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
fix-the-spade said:
One thing though, why has Thor out performed First Class? That ain't right.
I agree, first class was the best comic movie to come out in the past few years. (not seen Cap A, but I can't see my liking it more than FC.)
I have yet to see First Class but I can say this. Put me down as saying that Captain America is my favourite film of this year. No, I don't read the comics except from the odd story I'm told is a good read. No, I don't like just any superhero film. If a film sucks, just because the main character is wearing spandex and punching up a purse thief doesn't mean that I'll like it anymore. Captain America: The First Avenger is just a damn good film, not only for the superhero genre but also for action and war. Chris Evans plays the character so well and the ballsy ending was a great way to leave me looking forward to The Avengers.

And I'm honestly surprised. Iron Man was a great film and the sequel was fairly good too which I wasn't expecting really because I wasn't really a fan of the Iron Man Animated Series. Thor was unexpectedly excellent because... WOW! They made a film about the space Viking really engaging (I don't care that people said it was a kids film, I'd be surprised if you tried pitching that idea as a serious film for adults). And now Captain America which I could also easily say I was not expecting to be good until I saw that first trailer OwO

New York Patrick

Jul 29, 2009
Sixcess said:
The irony is that Captain America has never been a "America Fuck Yeah" character. In fact he's probably got a stronger track record than most for criticising mindless jingoism. You want unconditional admiration of the USA just look to Superman...
I've always thought of the mentality behind Captain America to be more of an icon for Americans to aspire to be more like. Captain America ACTUALLY stands for truth, justice, and the American way, and will call out people who don't. Superman, however, can do whatever the hell he wants... he's kind of an entitled prick that way...

Also, Captain America started out as a basically average guy, who only had his virtues to go on. Superman is (one of the) last survivor(s) of a dead, godlike race, and has very little standing against him other than random green rocks and a retrospectively incompetent bald guy..

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Kurokami said:
Zing said:
He's just wrong for Green Latern, but perfect for Deadpool.
Disagree. Yes he's a fantastic actor, but he's not loud, not vulgar, and not rough sounding enough to play Deadpool imo.
What? He's comedic roles have been nothing but loud and vulgar. Van Wilder anyone? Wade Wilson is practically made for him.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Togs said:
Meh theres no "AMURCA FUCK YEAH" in the film, its proletysing is more about being a good person in general.
there were fuck yeahs in my theater.

also, about ruining ryan rynold's career, i blame the director. well, he still might make it up in the DEADPOOL adaption if the director remembers how bat shit insane it should be.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Ryan Reynolds had a career? When did that happen?

It's surprising to see people responding well to Captain America. No matter how hard you try he's always going to be a bit jingoistic and that puts some people off.

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
Well, its not like they go bashing you over the head with the patriotism.
Its just a really good story of a super hero who just happens to be named "Captain America." No real reason to hate it.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
deckai said:
I don't know, I don't have enough knowledge of comics, to discuss his deadpool performance, but I just can't see him in any semi-serious role.... I like him as an actor, but my impression is, that he reached his peak with party animals.
Trust me. Forget your preconceived notions and watch Buried. He is unrecognisable from his Van Wilder/Blade/Two Guys era.

As mentioned before, that what counts are the box-office results.
Counts toward what?

I pretty much knew that First Class would not do as well as the other super hero movies this year, the reason for this is that some uninformed people just saw it as another xmen movie, and after the trash last one, likely skipped it. In reality it's the best x-men so far.

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
I'm from the UK and very pro-British and i like like joke about yanks, but i've seen Captain America twice because it is a great film. It's not like other american WW2 based films which omit other allied nations or are super gung ho 'U-S-A'. It's there to entertain and it does.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Captain america did great because he's the ideal hero who always fights for what's right.

P.S. I'm canadian if you're wondering.