The Worst Big Youtubers

Aug 1, 2010
Vault101 said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
If that's the way you feel.

I've liked him for some time and something as meaningless as angry internet comments isn't going to change that.
meaningless?

you dont have to ahte the guy but I dont see how his rants were "meaningless" even if people say things online it doesnt mean those things in no way reflect them as a person, the gut was acting like a dick
Yep. I act like a dick online all the time. It's called anger and I completely understand it.

Furthermore, he recognized he was a dick, went back and did what he could to fix it by apologizing directly to the person he was a dick to.

So all I see it reflect is a short internet temper.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
Cry Wolf said:
Dangit2019 said:
Ray William Johnson.

"Look at me, guys! I browsed on reddit for 5 minutes, took this guy's fail video, added 'hi-larious' commentary on it with jump cuts in between each syllable, and added even more commentary in post! Aren't I special?!"

This video sums up his ilk pretty well:

If that video annoys you at first, just wait until :35.

Fucking hell, thirty seconds in and I already want him dead. Thirthy-five seconds in and I can no longer express how much I want him dead. That guy is popular?
Aaand Poe's Law in effect. It's a parody video of RWJ. Did you watch the whole thing?
Hell no - and I probably never will. That thing was just ridiculously painfull.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Cry Wolf said:
Dangit2019 said:
Cry Wolf said:
Dangit2019 said:
Ray William Johnson.

"Look at me, guys! I browsed on reddit for 5 minutes, took this guy's fail video, added 'hi-larious' commentary on it with jump cuts in between each syllable, and added even more commentary in post! Aren't I special?!"

This video sums up his ilk pretty well:

If that video annoys you at first, just wait until :35.

Fucking hell, thirty seconds in and I already want him dead. Thirthy-five seconds in and I can no longer express how much I want him dead. That guy is popular?
Aaand Poe's Law in effect. It's a parody video of RWJ. Did you watch the whole thing?
Hell no - and I probably never will. That thing was just ridiculously painfull.
I told you to watch past :35. Just skip the first part and do it.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Trippy Turtle said:
"The *Subjective value* big Youtubers"
If they managed to get the views, they are doing something right. People on this forum need to learn that just because you disagree with something on a subjective level, doesn't make it wrong.
^Thank you for pointing this out.

And to all the people getting angry about this stuff, can't you just let it go and accept that mainstream will always get more than the unknown talent, that's why they're considered mainstream. And if people whom were unkown talents became as big as the 'youtube celebs' then their would be people saying that they are talentless.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
While I'd don't HATE them, I dislike Nova, PewDiePie and RayWilliamJohnson and any video like theirs. I used to like Nova and RWJ, but they grew old after a while since it's the same thing over and over.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Oh, so many.

The way I see it, if a YouTuber uses colorful (like, neon) thumbnails with their face (especially them making a weird face) taking up 50% of the thumb, and then accompanies it with ALL CAPS TITLES with very obvious attention-grabbing words... they're probably shit.

The all-caps is a dead giveaway for me. Above all else, all-caps titles make me the least inclined to click on a video. (There are correct ways to use it, though.)

Also, can someone explain to me Chuggaaconroy's appeal? I don't think he's necessarily bad at what he does; as I understand, his Pokémon LPs are really informative, and probably the most professional around. But... when I watch The Runaway Guys (being a fan of ProtonJon and NCS myself), he just comes off like a child in so many ways. It makes me genuinely wonder how people can handle entire series of just him.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
The Amazing Atheist (He's a lout with a superiority complex, yet "Doesn't believe in ad hominem". Nice one man, good display of logic. On top of that, he's a sexist jackass, a loud douchebag, and has become the Atheist version of RWJ, who he used to bag out himself.
Ray William Johnson (Though his side-project "Your Favourite Martian" is interesting)
Jenna Marbles (Really doesn't need explaining)
Divine Femitheist (The person who embodies all of those "Crazy Feminist" memes)
VenomfangX (PCFCS)
Laci Green (Pandering and shallow)
EDIT: Oh, and "EpicMealTime". Shit got old faaaaast

I can't really think of any others off the top of my head, mostly because I avoid watching material that annoys me. I don't actually spend that much time watching Let's Plays or such, so I've no idea about gaming ones.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
While I still like the Yogscast to a certain degree, they've long since past their prime. Though, to be fair, it isn't totally their fault. The Yogscast audience is an absolute wretched hive of scum and villainy. I still watch them on occasion, and occasionally, they produce something great, but their time has long since passed.

Other than that, the usual suspects apply. I'd like to add Razorfist into the mix as well, because while I do find him funny, it's definitely a guilty pleasure, because his reviews are generally terrible as reviews (Dishonored is bad because it's not Thief) and the man himself is an insufferable, pretentious, arrogant jerk who treats everyone with differing opinions to him as an idiot.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
RayWilliamJohnson - have to admit, was funny the first 2 times. But it gets old really, really fast. He makes the same fucking jokes and never puts in any more effort than he always has, which is not a great deal. What's more, I suspect he pioneered the whole bright colours and massive words bullshit for the preview frame. At best he is a vehicle for people to see some comical videos without going to the trouble of looking them up themselves.

PewDiePie - I can't believe people actually will be entertained by this. Some of the least mature and more importantly, least useful/intelligent commentary I've ever heard. Rape jokes are all well and good, but simply yelling "Rape" frequently does not comedy make.

The Annoying Orange has been mentioned by others, and although I don't see it recommended much or anything, I do remember watching a couple of videos. It, too, was funny the first 2 times and those times only.

iJustine - ...she's just stupid. Honestly. I'm of course getting this primarily from her Portal playthrough, which in turn I got from other sources, but although all her content is insubstantial, those videos in particular were just the most brainless crap. In fact I suspect she had to deliberately act stupid just to prolong the series, she was using a walkthrough ffs.

Also Smosh, can't be bothered explaining at this point.

Tobuscus I actually am impartial to. He puts some effort in, and although the thumbnails are the most visually offensive things I've ever seen, there is some genuine comedy and some genuine wit that shines through at times. There is of course a temptation to coast on name value alone, which is what I see many Lets Plays by already large Youtubers as being, but really, he does work at producing decent stuff. It's just a bit shallow for me these days (says someone who watches Game Grumps).

Also, have to defend the Amazing Atheist a bit too. A lot of his videos are(/were) good and provide an interesting point of view. I happen to agree with him on a fair few things. But he does deliberately garner controversy and hatred, and what's more, is expected to hate everything and take every stance to the nth degree, so to an extent I'd say his behaviour isn't his fault.

But thankfully none of this really matters because all you have to do to not watch the shit is not search for it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Yep. I act like a dick online all the time. It's called anger and I completely understand it.
anger? its one thing to go nuts at a stupid person/troll online its another too....eh never mind

[quote/]Furthermore, he recognized he was a dick, went back and did what he could to fix it by apologizing directly to the person he was a dick to.

So all I see it reflect is a short internet temper.[/quote]
apology or not it rings alarm bells

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
rob_simple said:
Trippy Turtle said:
If they managed to get the views, they are doing something right. People on this forum need to learn that just because you disagree with something on a subjective level, doesn't make it wrong.
I'd love you to explain in what way a creatively bankrupt grown man squealing, swearing and shouting 'rape' every five seconds can justify 4 million subscribers and not be wrong, subjective or otherwise.

As a flipside to your comment, people need to learn that, just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it has any worth or artistic merit. Some things only exist to make money.
First off, I agree with the second part completely.
Secondly, just because you don't see such a thing as entertaining, doesn't mean it isn't. I would assume a lot of people my age or slightly younger would enjoy it and therefore it deserves those subs.

On a mostly unrelated note, I find most popular things to be a safe conversation topic with strangers, even if I don't really care about it, like music.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Probably Retspurae.

Smug, uppity twats. Firm believers in the "if you like this, then I am better than you - but don't worry too much because I was better than you anyway" school of thought. Wasn't at all surprised to learn they were spat out of Something Awful.

GafferGames

Jan 2, 2013
I think there's a lot of comments on this forum saying "I don't see why they are popular cause I didn't find there jokes funny". I have no problem with people having differing opinions to me, just don't say it like yours is some sort of godly opinion to which everyone else's is wrong.
I don't really dislike any YouTubers, in the sense that I've never come across something I don't like, purely because if I don't like the look of it I won't click on it, there are some people I don't find entertaining anymore, but there aren't any I would say I don't like, I just don't watch their content.

GafferGames

Jan 2, 2013
Just to clarify, I see it in nearly every post on this forum, but I like PewDiePie more now than I did, he hasn't made a rape joke or overexaggerated a reaction to a horror jumpscare in months, now he does normal Let's Plays of funny games, and he doesn't just constantly shout at them anymore, on a lot of these posts I see posts that genuinely look like someone has only watched PewDiePie through the Retsurpae video.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
PewDiePie
Tobuscus
RayWilliamJohnson
Tosh.O (not even Youtube, but is essentially the above on television)
Smosh
Yogscast
Fred
UberHaxorNova
TheAnnoyingOrange
iJustine
and whoever makes DickFigures for MondoMedia

I actually typed out the majority of that list before reading through the thread.
Added a couple after being reminded.

Basically, plenty of annoying people who reek of being fake.
Silly high pitched voices, low brow humor and just overall being annoying.
That or I despise how they look alongside how they sound (especially true for Smosh).

I understand how and why they became popular, but I definitely despise what they do.
Or rather, I should say that I despise how they do it...I think some of them even started out pretty good and then just degraded to the point where they blended in with the other sellouts.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
rob_simple said:
Trippy Turtle said:
I'd love you to explain in what way a creatively bankrupt grown man squealing, swearing and shouting 'rape' every five seconds can justify 4 million subscribers and not be wrong, subjective or otherwise.

As a flipside to your comment, people need to learn that, just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it has any worth or artistic merit. Some things only exist to make money.
First off, I agree with the second part completely.
Secondly, just because you don't see such a thing as entertaining, doesn't mean it isn't. I would assume a lot of people my age or slightly younger would enjoy it and therefore it deserves those subs.

On a mostly unrelated note, I find most popular things to be a safe conversation topic with strangers, even if I don't really care about it, like music.
Ordinarily I would agree with you, and maybe it is just so far removed from what I understand as entertainment that I just can't see it, but I cannot fathom the entertainment value in anything I've seen by PewDiePie.

I think the thing that annoys me so much is I know there are people out there doing really good, skilled work and getting no recognition or money for it, while people like PewDiePie shout rape for ten minutes and it's somehow popular enough for him to make a living off of it.

It's obviously not unique to Youtube --as people who've name-dropped Jersey Shore have made clear-- I just hate seeing people get money and fame for being loud and obnoxious rather than talented.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
boots said:
The Amazing Atheist, though that one's been kind of obvious ever since Redditgate.
I dont think my respect has ever fallen from so high to so devastatingly low. My first ever unsubscribe. Eugh, i dont like to think about it. I mean dont get me wrong i think he is VERY right about a few major issues. A FEW of his criticisms of feminism have actual weight. The fact he managed to associate them ALL with UTTER douche baggery didnt help anyone. So i cant respect his actions even if i agree with some of his views. Ill give him a little credit for saying sorry. Not really an excuse though.

PewDiePie. I can understand why people might like him, but im not one of those people. I much prefer chaoticMonkey. He does the same thing with an air of maturity and a little bit of seriousness when appropriate, and christ he never screams in that way.