The Worst Big Youtubers

camerinian

Mar 16, 2012
YouTube is a very confusing place. There are comedy prodigies on the website who struggle to get the views or subscribers they deserve, yet there appear to be so many talent-less hacks that undeservedly net a massive fanbase, forming the elitist, uncrackable clique known as "The YouTube Celebrities".

You can classify "big" however you want, I just want to know about the video-makers you believe are hogging the limelight when they don't deserve to at all.

I'll start off by admitting my undying hatred for iJustine. I've heard so many people hail her as the Queen of YouTube, yet all I can see in her is a reply girl with slightly better editing skills. Honestly, all the tropes are there: Cashing in on good looks, fake title and thumbnails, and literally no worth to her videos, comedic, informative or otherwise. Granted, she is sort of slipping in the ranks of the YouTube community, but the fact that she was ever popular to begin with is simply purile

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
whos fault is it really?

the content providers or the audience?

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
It's not just Youtube. All you need to do is look at cinema and television and you'll see the same thing. Why is it that Jersey Shore gets 7 (or is it 8?) seasons, and yet Firefly gets cancelled before they finish their first?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
inb4 PewDiePie.

Anyway, I don't really enjoy most of the personalities who become well-known around the internet. I don't know how many of them are Youtubers, but Tobuscus, Spoony, etc., all just come off as really annoying to me.

I like TotalBiscuit, but only enough to watch his "WTF Is..." series, and I've recently started watching Retsupurae, who riff over bad Let's Plays/bad games.

I don't really spend a lot of time on Youtube.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Gosh there is no shortage of YT celebrities with uninspired and lame videos. The first that comes to mind for me is Jenna Marbles. I just don't have one good thing to say about any of her videos and yet she nets 1 mil+ on each one.

It's something that I don't get but at the same time, I just don't care. I subscribe to what I like, search for the random videos that appeal to me and everything else matters not.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Basically all of the YouTube celebrities that their entire thing is reporting celebrity gossip and random stories(sxephil, Ray William Johnson, countless others) are just the worst.

And PewDiePie. I try not to rage about him as much as others here, but I do find it abhorrent that someone like him has 4million+ subscribers for his...take on comedy.

There has to be some hidden joke that I've missed out on when it comes to that guy, honestly.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Yeah this is a problem where it's the audience to blame, not the "Celebrity" in question.

They're just making content and having fun, they don't exactly make themselves popular, the audience did. Getting angry at them for their popularity is silly since they're just pleasing the masses and you can't get made at them for doing that.

Just ignore them and avoid their videos, stop giving them attention and they'll fade away soon enough. I barely even see videos by these youtube celebrities anyway because of that reason.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Yeah, I don't care how many other people say Pew Die Pie, but I'm saying it too.
I'm not someone who "hates" on people because he enjoys doing it- I just don't understand why that guy is so popular.
He incoherently rambles while playing video games- he doesn't even really seem to attempt saying anything funny, he just squeals and swears a lot.
Then again, he does have over 4 million subscribers, so I'm the one missing something... right?

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Ray William Johnson.

"Look at me, guys! I browsed on reddit for 5 minutes, took this guy's fail video, added 'hi-larious' commentary on it with jump cuts in between each syllable, and added even more commentary in post! Aren't I special?!"

This video sums up his ilk pretty well:

If that video annoys you at first, just wait until :35.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
PewDiePie.
He is a cancer on the Youtube community.
All he does is scream into a microphone, and whose word of the day calendar seems to be stuck permanently on 'rape.'

Aug 1, 2010
boots said:
The Amazing Atheist, though that one's been kind of obvious ever since Redditgate.
I'd like more of an explanation on this one. What exactly are you referencing?

OT:
I'm going to sound like a massive hipster, but any of the "mainstream" gaming people other than TotalBiscuit.

Pewdie, Toby, Nova, all of them. They do nothing but dilute and shame the culture I love.

Tobuscus is an especially sad case for me. I checked out a few videos and generally hated it as it was the most PC kid friendly bullshit imaginable. But then I went back and watched some of his old videos and they were FUNNY! He made good jokes and he wasn't afraid of what he said. He then sold his soul in order to become more mainstream.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing for copious amounts of money, but whenever I see him do some idiotic thing, I can see the real guy inside in pain from having to do it.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
The Yogscast, I can't count how many times they've given their audience for more profitable pastures.

The WoW videos and old Yogpod in which they'd just talk about the weather and prank call their friends were great.
I was okay when they gave the WoW audience the finger to make Shadow of Israphel videos because they were pretty funny and the Yogpod was relatively unchanged.
Then they gave the SoI audience the finger in favour of Minecraft mod spotlights and custom maps.
Last I checked they'd all but replaced Minecraft with Let's Plays.

boots said:
The Amazing Atheist, though that one's been kind of obvious ever since Redditgate.
What's this Redditgate?

I used to like him but unsubscribed when I felt he had begun dumbing his videos down to attract a larger audience (plus being a non-American all that election nonsense grew tiring fast)

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Meh, I Guess I'll ramble off the same list I always do:

Sxephil, RayWilliamJohnson, the Amazing Atheist, Pewdiepie, Tobuscus, Ijustine, KassemG and the like

IMO, their all either bandwagoning, Intolerant of others, Fakes, or just using stupid humor to shill, pander and get views. Usually some combination of all Four. However, Really to each their own, who am I to say that someones choice of channel is wrong when its just Opinion anyway?

Shout out to some GOOD channels though (not that some really need the help at all, just want to add some positivity): Quill18, OMFGCata, Damo2986, SapphirePhoenix08, and ElderGeekdotcom

Aug 1, 2010
boots said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
boots said:
I'd like more of an explanation on this one. What exactly are you referencing?
BanicRhys said:
What's this Redditgate?
Short version: He said this [http://i.imgur.com/v8q0J.png] to a rape victim, ostensibly to try and prove that PTSD triggers aren't a real thing.

Even many of his most diehard fans were kind of horrified by it. He quit Reddit and lost a whole bunch of subscribers on Youtube [http://www.dailydot.com/news/amazing-atheist-reddit-rape-controversy/].
Meh, doesn't change my opinion on the guy.

People get mad and say crazy shit on the internet. TJ just made the mistake of not doing it somewhere anonymous.

Plus, he took the time to write a formal apology.

Thanks for the info.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
I can list my least favourite YouTube "celebrities" quite easily:
RayWilliamJohnson. Need I say why I hate his videos, or is it obvious due to the post above, as well as the fact that he is oblivious to the fact that he is not in any way funny, or entertaining in particular?

The Annoying Orange. Do I really have to explain this one?

Now, there's plenty more, but I can't be arsed to list every single one right now.

Aug 1, 2010
boots said:
Meh, doesn't change my opinion on the guy.
It only changed my opinion of him in the sense of giving me even more reason to dislike him than I already had.

I stopped watching his videos a long time ago anyway, but Redditgate at least meant that people started referencing him a lot less often.
If that's the way you feel.

I've liked him for some time and something as meaningless as angry internet comments isn't going to change that.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
boots said:
Short version: He said this [http://i.imgur.com/v8q0J.png] to a rape victim, ostensibly to try and prove that PTSD triggers aren't a real thing.

Even many of his most diehard fans were kind of horrified by it. He quit Reddit and lost a whole bunch of subscribers on Youtube [http://www.dailydot.com/news/amazing-atheist-reddit-rape-controversy/].
Ive seen his famous "its ok if a woman does it!" video

people like that it makes it REALLY hard to take what points he may have seriously...because he goes off and acts like a CUN-you know the rest, I get mysoganist vibes but...eh

If that's the way you feel.

I've liked him for some time and something as meaningless as angry internet comments isn't going to change that.
meaningless?

you dont have to ahte the guy but I dont see how his rants were "meaningless" even if people say things online it doesnt mean those things in no way reflect them as a person, the gut was acting like a dick