The Worst Big Youtubers

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Vault101 said:
boots said:
Short version: He said this [http://i.imgur.com/v8q0J.png] to a rape victim, ostensibly to try and prove that PTSD triggers aren't a real thing.

Even many of his most diehard fans were kind of horrified by it. He quit Reddit and lost a whole bunch of subscribers on Youtube [http://www.dailydot.com/news/amazing-atheist-reddit-rape-controversy/].
Ive seen his famous "its ok if a woman does it!" video

people like that it makes it REALLY hard to take what points he may have seriously...because he goes off and acts like a CUN-you know the rest, I get mysoganist vibes but...eh
^This

Well, that, and him also Blasting everyone who believes points contrary of his. Strangely enough, a man who's sole purpose is to yell into a camera dosent have much use for tolerance or subtlety...

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
"The *Subjective value* big Youtubers"
If they managed to get the views, they are doing something right. People on this forum need to learn that just because you disagree with something on a subjective level, doesn't make it wrong.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
Ray William Johnson, PewDiePie, Annoying Orange and Smosh.

RWJ because he provides really useless 'frat boy' style commentary on otherwise decent videos.

PDP for any reason listed above by others.

Annoying Orange because he is too annoying to exist.

Smosh because they fell down hill after the first few months of 2012.

That's all I can think of For now.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I don't really think of big Youtubers as inherently evil. For the sake of answering the OP though, I'd say the worst are just the most infamous ones. Heck, I still watch some Smosh skits from time to time, and occasionally find them funny.

But seriously, as much as people call them talent-less hacks who don't deserve the attention they get, they obviously did something at one point or another that captivated people enough to build a giant fan-base. They didn't just suddenly develop a huge following out of nowhere on someone else's merit. If that were the case for someone though, then yeah, their attention would be undeserved, but not if they earned it by producing something that people like.

And people aren't just mindless followers, if something is truly without any sort of worth, then most people would probably stop watching, and unsubscribe. If they are still garnering large amounts of views and subscribers, then obviously they are doing something right. I'm sorry, but I find the notion that "they don't deserve the attention they get", or even worse, "They are stealing views from Youtubers who deserve them" to sound incredibly pretentious and stupid.

Also, if someone is truly putting out quality content, then I doubt people won't take notice of it. It may take a while, but people will eventually spread the word around enough until they have developed the viewership they deserve. I think it silly to say that they deserve more viewers and subscribers as if they are entitled to them just because you prefer them.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
eh. none of them are bad enough to care about. my least favorite is shane dawson cause he seems like a megadouche. but i dont care beyond avoiding most videos with him. the ones that annoy me the most are the ones who form thier entire personality around screaming and acting like a child who hasnt met thier parents and have sugar rushing through thier veins. (pewdepie)

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Pretty much anyone who rose fame doing stupid parody music video of popular songs.

Its a cheap way to get Youtube fame.

Youtube person I do like? CommunityChannel. Tell me that you don't like her. I dare you.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Berithil said:
It's not just Youtube. All you need to do is look at cinema and television and you'll see the same thing. Why is it that Jersey Shore gets 7 (or is it 8?) seasons, and yet Firefly gets cancelled before they finish their first?
timeslot.
stop asking questions rhetorically when they have answers

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
I remember a time when every other post of this topic would be "Fred". Now no-one gives a crap about him. It's funny, really.

To answer the question, I don't really keep track of who's who on Youtube anymore. Besides, it's Youtube. Not a site full of quality videos, but rather the other way around. If a bunch of people watch someone, then I'll check them out, and if I don't like them, I won't watch anymore. I didn't answer the question, did I?

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
I think the people we choose to idolize on the internet, T.V, and in politics speaks a lot more of the dysfunction of society than the providers. And the truth is, I don't think any of us are an exception to promoting something that's bad. If we don't promote a hack youtube celebrity, then chances are we're promoting a shitty product, a terrible person, or an untalented musician. With that said, here's what I don't understand:

1. Pewdiepiepie

I'M SHOUTING INTO A MICROPHONE. I'M RAPING YOU. I'M RAPING YOU. AAAAAAAAAGH I'M SCARED! EEEEEEEEEH!

2. Fred

Gasp! It's an obnoxious kid speaking with his voice sped up. I assume there are four main demographics here: 1. Adults that think it's adorable. 2. Pedophiles. 3. Kids with no actual sense of humor. 4. Parents who show it to their kids with no actual sense of humor because it's inoffensive.

3. Crowder

I don't know, I just hate the guy. He comes across as an overly smug douchebag that 'thinks' he's funny. I don't agree with everything Lee Doran says, but at least he doesn't speak in unwitty slogans and have that douchebag air around him.

I don't particularly care for Ray William Johnson, but at least he puts work into his videos, even if the show is basically a parasite that prays on popular videos.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
DeltaEdge said:
And people aren't just mindless followers, if something is truly without any sort of worth, then most people would probably stop watching, and unsubscribe. If they are still garnering large amounts of views and subscribers, then obviously they are doing something right.
Sadly no, these people are very much mindless followers, because we all have a monkey inside us that gets easily amused by poop tossing and equally inventive stuff, it takes a certain level of restraint to put the foot down and say no we need to move on from that.

But those "stars" are indeed doing something right, that is encouraging and hitting that monkey brain demographic that just wants to wallow in stupidity.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
boots said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
boots said:
The Amazing Atheist, though that one's been kind of obvious ever since Redditgate.
I'd like more of an explanation on this one. What exactly are you referencing?
BanicRhys said:
What's this Redditgate?
Short version: He said this [http://i.imgur.com/v8q0J.png] to a rape victim, ostensibly to try and prove that PTSD triggers aren't a real thing.

Even many of his most diehard fans were kind of horrified by it. He quit Reddit and lost a whole bunch of subscribers on Youtube [http://www.dailydot.com/news/amazing-atheist-reddit-rape-controversy/].
Holy shit... I disliked him because I found him to be annoying and extremely immature, but this is a whole new level of d-baggery. He seems to embody all the worst aspects of the internet in a single individual.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Anyone who has a picture of their overreacting face shopped over over whatever they are going to talk about for 90% of their thumbnails (Smosh's channel can burn in a hole and I'll just leave it at that). Usually whatever these people do you can tell they are just acting the way they are for the views. Pewdiepie is a major offender for this. Tried watching a lets play and barely got though half. Tried watching a different one and barely got through a quarter.
There is a reason I watch Mangaminx and other people for my horror lets plays and thats because they actually play the game and their reactions are genuine. If I wanted to watch a poor actor pretend to be scared I would watch Trolls 2.

Toby Turner, while his style is similar to Pewdiepie, is the exact opposite. He is obviously acting out a persona. He made this incredibly manic version of himself and everything that happens is filtered through that character. When he overreacts to stuff going on its not "Oh if I freak out here I get more views" its "Here is where my character would freak out." Which makes all the difference. In short Pewdiepie acts things out while Tobuscus is an actor. Its just my opinion though so don't quote me on this.

Yogscast similarly doesn't register on my ragedar. In fact I really like the channel. While their antics could have easily turned into a really annoying video channel it didn't. They don't act like superstars or act like they are the best thing on youtube, they act exactly like what they are which is like a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of other popular youtube channels. Also I enjoy the back and forth between Simon and Lewis and CO. They are so self aware and laid back that it is easy to connect with them and their characters.

Fred just kinda dropped off the internet and into his own movies and a TV show, to the later I wish to ask, "WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND GREENLIT THIS?" I was pretty much forced to watch half an episode and by god it was the most horrid 15-20 minutes of my entire life. It literally felt like my brain was drowning. I felt so bad for everyone who had to be roped into its production as they stood there, glassy eyed, and lacking any sort of enthusiasm, just going through the motions as this supermanic manchild leapt through the set with a big grin on his face claiming to be an alien. Just thinking about it makes me shudder.

Epic Bear Man

Feb 5, 2013
Yogscast. Luckily I never come across Ray William Johnson, iJustine, etc. all too often, but I do come across Yogscast often...And honestly, I don't get why they're popular. Their jokes never amuse me, and the only time I could really bare watching them was to see a Let's Play of a Tom & Jerry Minecraft adventure mod. There's was the only one up at the time, and I wanted some video evidence of how good the mod was.

The mod was great; the commentary not so much.

But even with that, I don't hate them, I just don't like them nor understand their popularity. But that's just me.

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
fight back by creating better stuff and spreading it around, Bam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vaBugHKn3U, there's a decent video that took awhile to make. or even support some of the more informative channels like pmr rants or Drift0r, there's great quality stuff out there you just have to be more vocal in your support of it than your hate for the big boys.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Yogcast is really stupid. Especially their Minecraft videos.

PDP for the reasons already stated.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Mr.K. said:
DeltaEdge said:
And people aren't just mindless followers, if something is truly without any sort of worth, then most people would probably stop watching, and unsubscribe. If they are still garnering large amounts of views and subscribers, then obviously they are doing something right.
Sadly no, these people are very much mindless followers, because we all have a monkey inside us that gets easily amused by poop tossing and equally inventive stuff, it takes a certain level of restraint to put the foot down and say no we need to move on from that.

But those "stars" are indeed doing something right, that is encouraging and hitting that monkey brain demographic that just wants to wallow in stupidity.
While I can agree that it often doesn't take much to keep someone's attention, I disagree on the idea that people truly are mindless followers. Obviously this holds no real ground as it is just anecdotal evidence, but I have seen several videos by fairly famous to very famous Youtubers that got a surprising amount of dislikes.

One video that I can immediately think of would have to be the music video by YourFavoriteMartian, Shitty G, in which the amount of dislikes was around 40% or so. YourFavoriteMartian being something that RayWillaimJohnson is the main focus of, you'd expect every single video to be showered with at least 90 percent likes, right? Surprisingly, many of YourFavoriteMartians videos have a large amount of dislikes, some even approaching the half-way mark. Although it wouldn't seem like people are capable of resisting the like button with the way that most of RayWilliamJohnson's videos get tons of likes, YourFavoriteMartian made it quite obvious to me that plenty of people who appear to mindlessly follow him, actually in-fact, do have standards, and will dislike a video if they find it of poor taste or quality.

I think it's important to note the difference between "absolute shit", and "passable", as I am to believe that most super big Youtubers that people despise regularly put out videos that are passable. Not great or necessarily even good, but passable, pretty much the lowest standard of what people find acceptable to continue watching their videos. I still firmly believe if they simply stopped putting any sort of effort into their videos at all, and started putting out absolute crap, then people would react negatively. I think your name can only take you so far, even when you have achieved that level of fame.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
Ray William Johnson.

"Look at me, guys! I browsed on reddit for 5 minutes, took this guy's fail video, added 'hi-larious' commentary on it with jump cuts in between each syllable, and added even more commentary in post! Aren't I special?!"

This video sums up his ilk pretty well:

If that video annoys you at first, just wait until :35.

Fucking hell, thirty seconds in and I already want him dead. Thirthy-five seconds in and I can no longer express how much I want him dead. That guy is popular?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
"The *Subjective value* big Youtubers"
If they managed to get the views, they are doing something right. People on this forum need to learn that just because you disagree with something on a subjective level, doesn't make it wrong.
I'd love you to explain in what way a creatively bankrupt grown man squealing, swearing and shouting 'rape' every five seconds can justify 4 million subscribers and not be wrong, subjective or otherwise.

As a flipside to your comment, people need to learn that, just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it has any worth or artistic merit. Some things only exist to make money.

OT: The only people I've come across on Youtube I really don't care for are the AVGN and, does Nostalgia Critic post on there or another website? Anyway, I just really don't like their style of humour, although I can at least see how it would appeal to other people.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Cry Wolf said:
Dangit2019 said:
Ray William Johnson.

"Look at me, guys! I browsed on reddit for 5 minutes, took this guy's fail video, added 'hi-larious' commentary on it with jump cuts in between each syllable, and added even more commentary in post! Aren't I special?!"

This video sums up his ilk pretty well:

If that video annoys you at first, just wait until :35.

Fucking hell, thirty seconds in and I already want him dead. Thirthy-five seconds in and I can no longer express how much I want him dead. That guy is popular?
Aaand Poe's Law in effect. It's a parody video of RWJ. Did you watch the whole thing?