The worst documentary you have ever seen

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
Queen Michael said:
I hereby predict that all of these documentaries will be mentioned: What the Bleep Do We Know; The Secret; Zeitgeist; and, of course, Loose Change.
Was loose change the one that did that proof america did the 9/11 attacks? If so the good to come out of that documentary was that another group used that video and cut in proof that debunked all their proof. Now that was a great documentary.
That's the one! It's extremely awful.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
Anything that has the words "Secret nazi hitler super science weapon doomsday"

All of those, there's like a billion of them

At best they're completely dumbed down and bland commentaries on things that weren't even thought as anything related to wunderwaffen at the time

At worst they're spout a bunch of conspiracy BS and just outright lies

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
Michael Moore's Fahrenheit is the first and only Michael Moore documentary I've seen and I think it will stay that way for a long time. The sheer amount of narrowminded and emotionally manipulative shit he put in that movie made my skin crawl, and I'm not even American. It was just so dishonest, I can't understand why he would do such a thing when he claims to be speaking and fighting for the common man. Doesn't the common man deserve to be treated with respect and not be manipulated like that?

A good example of being honest that I can think of right now is Jesus Camp. There are a few parts of a little bias with a christian radio host condemning the extreme intiatives the camp had taken, but for the 95% of the movie the directors keep their mouths shut and let the footage speak for itself. And boy did it tell a depressing tale.

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
Mangod said:
... Sun, Sex and Satan, you say? Ok, I have to watch this now, because it sounds gloriously shitty.

Woops. It's actually called Sun Sea and Satan, my bad. You can watch it all on youtube where it's weirdly popular. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq6lJsBz9UY

The thing that makes it a really bad documentary is the fact that shady cover ups of abuse and death probably did happen on the island sometime over the past number of centuries, orphans dying to to neglect and being buried unceremoniously without record etc. But rather than give the topic the respect and research it deserves, the film maker attributes all wrong doing to demons and devils controlling people rather than to the perpetrators themselves. By mixing his crazy conspiracy theories into actual crimes he ends up misdirecting blame from the culpable to the fictional. It is hilarious in parts though, especially when he's trying to contrive an atmosphere of hostility by pretending the cult villagers are all out to stop his shitty documentary, when it's clear they have no idea who he is or why they should care.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
There was a Spike TV documentary about a Nazi Victory timeline. Now, as someone who is in (and writing) alternate history, this would have been interesting. Yeah, shoe string budget, but you know, cheap doesn't mean bad.

But then

Turns out that the Nazi's win by using jet fighters on Normandy, which allows them to win the war and conquer America. It was at the point Hitler visited Bollywood with Eva Braun and did a hand-print in front of the Chinese Theater I stopped the video, got up, looked out the window and spent the next thirty minutes debating whether to jump or keep watching. Given how there are literally thousands (thousands!) of well researched articles and timeline online that document how such a victory would be conceivable and how a victory is impossible, the whole thing was a damn insult to alternate history as a form.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Probably Going Clear, which was an excellent documentary but incredibly hard to watch due to the content. Man I fucking hate Scientology.

Dec 10, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Room 237, which compiles just about every stupid conspiracy theory surrounding the making of The Shining.
I thought it was pretty interesting. Virtually everything everyone said is too far out to give any credence to, but it was fascinating to see how people interpreted the film. Certainly, Kubrick was a genius who liked to do odd things with his movies, so I could see how people would dig perhaps too far into it. The world of conspiracy theorists is always amusing.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I think it counts as a documentary series, but Most Haunted. It's basically a group of, I hesitate to use the term "journalists" visiting allegedly haunted buildings and staying the night with night vision cameras trying to catch ghosties. You might think it would be a laugh, at first. But this is a long running series and these people are dead (lol) serious. Once you've seen them over-react to one bit of speckly dust and a creak, you've seen it all.

Scenery is nice though.

I used to like Louis Therox, but he seems to have disappeared. Is he even still alive anymore?

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Queen Michael said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Queen Michael said:
I hereby predict that all of these documentaries will be mentioned: What the Bleep Do We Know; The Secret; Zeitgeist; and, of course, Loose Change.
Was loose change the one that did that proof america did the 9/11 attacks? If so the good to come out of that documentary was that another group used that video and cut in proof that debunked all their proof. Now that was a great documentary.
That's the one! It's extremely awful.
Oh, it's nowhere near as bad as 9/11; The New Pearl Harbor. Six tedious hours spread over three [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1GCeuSr3Mk] awful [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7mDXHn_byA] videos [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DegLpgJmFL8]. Not only do they make all the same arguments Loose Change does, but they make more, even stupider arguments. Watch if you dare.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Azure23 said:
Probably Going Clear, which was an excellent documentary but incredibly hard to watch due to the content. Man I fucking hate Scientology.
Emotionally difficult doesn't make it a bad documentary, in fact when truthful the best ones are really distressing, because they cover things that no one wants to talk about. I wouldn't say "Going Clear" is the worst on that. Some trans issues ones are just freaking heart breaking.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I hate any documentary about Jesus or Biblical times in general which forget that the people of the Holy Lands of the time were not white, including Jesus himself. Sometimes they get some people who look the part, but no matter what Jesus, Moses, Abraham, even Adam always portrayed as a white dude. Even the ones which claim to go really deep into cultural information can't seem to address this blindingly obvious flaw. They'll make a true replica of a Roman crucifix or get handmade costumes made from authentic materials and techniques, but the principle cast will always be white.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
What, no mention of some crappy prehistoric documentaries. Seriously there was a point when I heard that there was going to be a new prehistoric documentary my young self jump with joy. stuff like the walking with series and dinosaur planet and even some of the more mockumentary ones like prehistoric park. Now when I hear they're making a dinosaur documentary I groans.

they're guaranteed to be inaccurate, boring and have some of the worst cgi you will ever see, My god the what the hell happened.

special mention goes to Jurassic Fight Club(How do you make a show about dinosaur fighting each other so boring) and Monsters Resurrected( I didn't know how you can Mary Sue a dinosaur in a documentary until I saw their spinosaurus)

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Azure23 said:
Emotionally difficult doesn't make it a bad documentary, in fact when truthful the best ones are really distressing, because they cover things that no one wants to talk about. I wouldn't say "Going Clear" is the worst on that. Some trans issues ones are just freaking heart breaking.
Damnit Kyuubi I was trying to stealth plug Going Clear! I feel like a lot of people treat Scientology as some sort of weird cult instead of the malicious force that it is, breaking up families, physically and mentally abusing it's members, putting young men and women in extremely coercive situations.

And yeah there are some really heartbreaking and infuriating ones out there on trans issues. I remember one I saw about trans women in men's prison that was pretty hard to watch, I can't imagine what it'd be like if I had a more intimate connection to the issues. I'm a survivor of sexual assault so I could empathize with that aspect of it but there was just so much more you know? Things I wouldn't have even considered, I guess I don't really have to tell you though huh?

Edit: just went and looked for it, pretty sure it was called Cruel and Unusual.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Lilani said:
I hate any documentary about Jesus or Biblical times in general which forget that the people of the Holy Lands of the time were not white, including Jesus himself. Sometimes they get some people who look the part, but no matter what Jesus, Moses, Abraham, even Adam always portrayed as a white dude. Even the ones which claim to go really deep into cultural information can't seem to address this blindingly obvious flaw. They'll make a true replica of a Roman crucifix or get handmade costumes made from authentic materials and techniques, but the principle cast will always be white.
Yeah, those are really the only documentaries that really both me. I can't even watch A.D. because of that and it tries so hard to be like Game of Thrones.

And they all have British accents! WHY?!

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Lilani said:
Yeah, those are really the only documentaries that really both me. I can't even watch A.D. because of that and it tries so hard to be like Game of Thrones.

Because History is British remember!? They did all the history. Seriously remember when what's his voice said that about Assassins Creed Unity?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Azure23 said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Azure23 said:
Damnit Kyuubi I was trying to stealth plug Going Clear! I feel like a lot of people treat Scientology as some sort of weird cult instead of the malicious force that it is, breaking up families, physically and mentally abusing it's members, putting young men and women in extremely coercive situations.

And yeah there are some really heartbreaking and infuriating ones out there on trans issues. I remember one I saw about trans women in men's prison that was pretty hard to watch, I can't imagine what it'd be like if I had a more intimate connection to the issues. I'm a survivor of sexual assault so I could empathize with that aspect of it but there was just so much more you know? Things I wouldn't have even considered, I guess I don't really have to tell you though huh?
Sorry but I agree, everyone, especially scientologists need to see Going Clear.

Also forget about corrections. The abuse we face is almost as common in the outside world and just how many trans people are literally beaten to death for nothing more than using a bathroom... It just makes me shudder with revulsion and makes me despise the kind of people who somehow mentally justify that to themselves.

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
Dreams of my Real Father, a "documentary" that claims Obama is in fact the illegitimate son of some two-bit Communist poet living in Hawaii. Usually I avoid watching trash documentaries, but somehow my parents bought into it so I had to watch the darn thing as preparation to argue with them.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
MrPeanut said:
Anything that has the words "Secret nazi hitler super science weapon doomsday"

All of those, there's like a billion of them

At best they're completely dumbed down and bland commentaries on things that weren't even thought as anything related to wunderwaffen at the time

At worst they're spout a bunch of conspiracy BS and just outright lies
I actually find those stories kind of interesting. Like the Ratte and Monster Supertanks. Hitler saw the plans and was like 'Aw shit dawg that's sick. MAKE A BILLION OF THEM.' and then as soon as he left, the guy in charge of production was like 'Cancel all of these orders because this shit is stupid as fuck.'

Y'know, paraphrasing.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Azure23 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Lilani said:

Because History is British remember!? They did all the history. Seriously remember when what's his voice said that about Assassins Creed Unity?
And now I have this image of Jesus telling Judas to stop being cheeky, and Peter has a cockney accent.

Suddenly the Last Supper is very hilarious.