The worst video game ending ever

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
With the release of the game "Inside" by the creators of Limbo, a lot of people have been talking about it. Specifically, they've been talking about the ending and how terrible they think it is, ruining what was, apparently, an otherwise flawless game.

And that got me thinking. I've seen a lot of games that have put people off simply because they didn't manage to hold to their high standards by the end, leaving players disappointed. So, what I'd like to know is this. What, in your view, is the absolute worst ending of any game you have ever played?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Hmm... this is a toughy.

Mechwarrior 3 had kind of a crappy ending. Not story wise - It ended as one would expect, with a clean narrative and nifty cinema ending, but the final mission is just crap. While one would struggle to call the game as a whole 'difficult,' the final mission is just hilariously easy - It's a straight up vs. map, with no terrain, on a flat stage. You just walk forward until you get the enemy unit on your sensors, then engage them at maximum distance (a kilometer) with either massed PPC fire (1-2 shots per mech, since they can do nothing but march at you) or massed LRM fire (1 shot per mech, with automatic tracking). It's trivial beyond belief.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
In B4 Mass Effect?

I'd say I was rather irked with the ending of God of War 2 when it came out.
Sequel bait as fuck, but now I hate it less.

The only, truly, terrible ending I can think of right now is the ending to FF7.
The final fight was a joke, the 'afterwards' was just..bleh.
I felt like I got NOTHING out of it.

Then the sequels and spin-offs came and ruined it even further.
:/

Athennesi

Jul 28, 2016
A lot of people will give the same answer here.
But there are actually worse, usually result of rushed deadline. Kotor II was unfinished, latest one for me was Risen III, which was simply lazy, with Alien Isolation it was sort of pointless. Or entire expansion to 'finish" the series( or better kill it for good): Forsaken Gods for Gothic III.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Guys guys guys - We can all agree Shadows of the Colossus has the worst ending, because it should never have ended! We need countless more amazing boss-battles, each unique and challenging. I'd never put it down!

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Silentpony said:
Guys guys guys - We can all agree Shadows of the Colossus has the worst ending, because it should never have ended! We need countless more amazing boss-battles, each unique and challenging. I'd never put it down!
if we're going by that criteria then the Last of Us would win for me hands down. I think I was in tears just at the thought of there being no more game left to experience

My real answer for me would be Dark Souls 1.
Once you make your choice the game just ends and it starts you off back at the beginning. I just sat there thinking "I went through all that and I don't even get a cut scene or anything!?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Antichamber. Just... Antichamber. Which sucks because it was such a cool and sometimes even inspiring game too.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
As much as I loved ?Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? with its absolutely fantastic characters and acting despite the game being largely a mindless "Devil May Cry"-esque beat-?em-up, the ending, while cohesive enough for story purposes, was god-awfully executed. You spend several hours of gameplay watching animated cut scenes, then they wrap it all with live video of Andy Serkis expositioning in what appears to be a utility closet or something?!? Not only did it not fit well with the rest of the game, it looked like they put all of 12 minutes into its production, like they met Andy in his garage and told him to read his lines into a hand-held camera. My guess is the animation staff went on strike a couple months before launch and that?s the best the producers could come up with.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I don't know what the worst ending is, but an ending that really annoys me is the ending of Oblivion. You spend the whole game doing all the work, then Martin...dies, which causes Akatosh to Deus Ex Mehrunes Dagon and Martin gets all the credit.

In Morrowind and Skyrim you get the credit. Though Morrowind did it better because afterwards everyone goes "OMG You're the Nereverine! OMG OMG!"

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Tanis said:
The only, truly, terrible ending I can think of right now is the ending to FF7.
The final fight was a joke, the 'afterwards' was just..bleh.
I felt like I got NOTHING out of it.
I liked that ending. Holy gets launched but doesn't work. You realize that the promised land isn't a physical place, but a return to the lifestream. Aerith is "alive" in the lifestream (as she is now one with the planet), and the lifestream defends against meteor. Totally works for me because I am such a hippie :D

OP: I will mention Kotor 2, but I can't really count it because the game itself was rushed and unfinished (and I love it!).

Another bad one was Halo 2, what a cliffhanger!

Crap, I had one in mind but now I forget what it was.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I think we all know the answer to this question. The thread should really be about the second worst ending in video game history.

DrownedAmmet said:
Silentpony said:
if we're going by that criteria then the Last of Us would win for me hands down. I think I was in tears just at the thought of there being no more game left to experience

My real answer for me would be Dark Souls 1.
Once you make your choice the game just ends and it starts you off back at the beginning. I just sat there thinking "I went through all that and I don't even get a cut scene or anything!?
I never understood why people dislike the endings to the soul's games. I loved how anti-climactic they are. It really underscores the theme of the story. It only becomes meaningful when you understand the lore, though. You either don't understand what's going on, in which case you were manipulated, or you do understand, and it just doesn't matter. I though the ending was beatiful and poetic. In fact, it's probably my favorite game ending of all time.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Okay, yeah, first of all I'm going to call out the absolute Tyrannosaurus in the room that is Mass Effect 3.

Moving on from that winner of this question (by several miles at least)...second place. Hmmm...

Its actually difficult to think of endings that were truly awful, especially since lately I've been in a bad habit of playing games that HAVE no ending (despite having a huge backlog of games that do). I remember being fairly apathetic to the ending of Skyrim's main quest line; it was okay but it kinda just felt like "oh alright then, we're done". I'd be tempted to say Dragon Age Origins but honestly its not so much the end of the game that I didn't like than the final boss itself.

Maybe Diablo 3:Reaper of Souls? Frankly the story for that game was an absolute slog and the only thing I felt having beaten Malthael was total exhaustion and a sense of "finally that's over and I can play properly now in Adventure mode". And the story didn't really go anywhere anyway, just acting as a 'reset' on everything so they can lazily set up future games.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
"Beyond Good and Evil", easily one of the worst endings of any game I've played. I wasn't impressed with the game itself, never have understood how it became a "cult classic" (beyond suspecting that many of those who praise it never really played it, but I suspect that happens a lot in gaming), but the ending is just straight up David Cage loony toons BS without even the amusement value of watching the slow motion train wreck that is something like Fahrenheit.

I would also nominate the original Syberia, but the second one finished the story and the ending of the first didn't go straight off into WTFville the way Beyond Good and Evil did, it just ended with only half the story told.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Half Life 2 episode 2. *Drops mic*

Erm...

Oh wait, I'm not done yet, am terribly indecisive. *Picks broken mic back up*

I would like to push the rules a bit here, assuming there are any, and say the last chunk of Far Cry 3 should have been put before the killing of Vaas (spoiler alert). It just felt like a weird trundling DLC expansion than a higher staked last chapter of a game.
Oh and MGSV...but the entirety of the game series kind of conditions you to numbness towards appallingly sporadic writing like that of an overexcited child subjected to only Tom Clancy and bad anime for childhood entertainment.

I don't like a lot of endings. Could be here a while. Like the Witcher 3 gave me the most depressing ending it could muster, maybe researching these things beforehand would help, but that would be cheating. How, what why and what the fuck is "the cold"? I don't know what the game wants from me, it gives me some obscure...thing...threat or weather forecast, I dunno, then a convo moral decision because it noticed I was distracted by a particularly colourful rodent outside my window as it was explaining how no number of woolly jumpers will save me this winter, thanks gran. Then punishes me. Maybe I should've been concentrating more...

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
I don't like a lot of endings. Could be here a while. Like the Witcher 3 gave me the most depressing ending it could muster, maybe researching these things beforehand would help, but that would be cheating. How, what why and what the fuck is "the cold"? I don't know what the game wants from me, it gives me some obscure...thing...threat or weather forecast, I dunno, then a convo moral decision because it noticed I was distracted by a particularly colourful rodent outside my window as it was explaining how no number of woolly jumpers will save me this winter, thanks gran. Then punishes me. Maybe I should've been concentrating more...
To get the 'good' ending, all you have to do is...

Not be a dick to Ciri, and be a dick to everyone who would, in turn, be a dick to Ciri.

Actually blew my mind when I got the good ending on my 'first try,' I was absolutely certain the game was going to break my heart.

I would like to push the rules a bit here, assuming there are any, and say the last chunk of Far Cry 3 should have been put before the killing of Vaas (spoiler alert). It just felt like a weird trundling DLC expansion than a higher staked last chapter of a game.
Crap, I completely forgot about Far Cry 3. Yah, everything after Vaas was just... empty. And the actual ending was just bizarre.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call and Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. They just fell totally flat, which is a crying shame considering how much I loved the first three games. I've not even touched the last one as a result.