"Theoretical" Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free on PC - But Not 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Theoretical" Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free on PC - But Not 360

CD Projekt Red says any forthcoming DLC for the PC version of The Witcher 2 will be free, but you're going to have to pay for it on the Xbox 360.

CD Projekt Red has kind of a thing for post-release support of its games. 2.0 update [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-Pc/dp/B000R2XJJK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1317158367&sr=8-4], coming on September 29. And DLC? That'll be free too, as long as you play with a mouse and keyboard.

"All too often, DLC is seen as an additional revenue opportunity. That's not bad in itself - we're not only in this industry to make games, we're also here to do business. But we shouldn't look at it exclusively from the latter angle, because that sometimes leads to decisions that could leave a bad taste in one's mouth," CD Projekt Development Director Adam Badowski told Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/27/which-witcher-is-the-witcher-2-2-0/]. "If you only think about the business in terms of the money it can generate, I think you could come awfully close to forcing players to buy something additional in order to enjoy fully a game they just bought. And that's simply not fair."

"Our approach is different and relatively simple. All DLC for the PC version is and will remain free," he continued. "That's not likely to be the story for the Xbox version, because of certain Microsoft policies that need to be followed. But on PC, once you buy our game, you don't need to worry about any additional costs - we will provide all updates, including those featuring new content, for free."

Which isn't to say that there won't ever be pay-to-play Witcher 2 content released on the PC, but if and when it happens, it'll be big enough to warrant a price tag. "Any payable DLC that appears is likely to be a more classic expansion pack along the lines of, say, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast [http://www.amazon.com/Baldurs-Gate-Expansion-Tales-Sword-Pc/dp/B00001QEQ9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317158497&sr=8-1]," Badowski said. "But this is a purely theoretical discussion at this point, as we have yet to confirm or even plan any official expansion packs."

Theoretical it may be, but designer Jan Bartkowicz told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-25-cdp-hints-at-witcher-2-expansion-witcher-3] over the weekend that the studio has "at least one big title ahead of us in The Witcher franchise."

"All I can say is we're planning on releasing something. [The Witcher 2.0 is] not the last update for The Witcher 2," he said. "That's what I can assure you."

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Say what you like about The Witcher and it's sequel, but CD Projekt are good to the people that play their game.

Apr 28, 2008
Azure-Supernova said:
Say what you like about The Witcher and it's sequel, but CD Projekt are good to the people that play their game.
Indeed. I'm glad they're doing well for themselves. They deserve it, and more.

Sep 14, 2009
Irridium said:
Azure-Supernova said:
Indeed. I'm glad they're doing well for themselves. They deserve it, and more.
very true.

it's kind of funny they snuck in that 2.0 update to the game before they released it for xbox, basically a finger to microsoft to suck it for that huge free update.

Apr 28, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
FUCK, I guess I should buy it on PC then...

Hurry up Winter, I want a Steam sale.
It's on sale now, actually. $30 on Steam, and on the 29th it'll be $30 on GoG.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for the heads up, just need to check my balance...

Can't wait to play this.

EDIT: Quote fail, sorry.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
These guys are great, this is the way it should be. Sucks that Microsoft restrictions prevent them from doing the right thing.

And I agree with Badowski, DLC should only be charged for if it's of a significant size to justify the charge. All of the Bioware DLC is bullshit, 10-15 dollars so I can play for another 30 minutes to an hour? Yeah, no.

CLC Akira

Jul 6, 2011
Apparently the author hasn't done his research. The Witcher 2 port for 360 will include all the updates and DLC the PC version is getting.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Of course, keep in mind that they're running a digital games shop on the side that helps support this sort of thing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CLC Akira said:
Apparently the author hasn't done his research. The Witcher 2 port for 360 will include all the updates and DLC the PC version is getting.
He has a source, you don't. Clearly, I have to believe the CEO over you.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
CLC Akira said:
Any UPCOMING DLC. Stuff that isn't out yet will be paid for on the Xbox.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
CLC Akira said:
Yeah, if you read the full interview it says so. It'll have all the current content and updates, including 2.0, it just wont get anything that theoretically might come after the Xbox release for free. But those are just theoretical updates that might not happen, after all.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
So, what they're saying is that, they're gonna give PC players some awesome DLC and M$ are *censored*. Sounds perfectly reasonable, CD project is awesome.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Hmmm, so circumstances favoring one platform is perfectly ok, when it's the PC that's getting the special treatment? Gotta love this site's community's double standards...

However, this is for DLC that isn't currently planned, so this is likely a non-issue.
That being said, this is purely M$'s fault, not CD Projekt's. CD is awesome like that.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
CLC Akira said:
Apparently you may have needed to spend a bit more time learning English at school.
I'm dyslexic. Somehow I read this article correctly... you called the author wrong and then corrected him with what he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good to hear. Love that game and fucking around with the characters. When I encountered LaValette did I even try to persuade him to put down his weapons and save his men? No!
I attacked him, I immediately died. 2nd attempt I attacked the archers and got rid of them and was encompassed by people and died. 3rd, I killed them allz.

If there is a kill all that moves option, I will take it.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
Hmmm, so circumstances favoring one platform is perfectly ok, when it's the PC that's getting the special treatment? Gotta love this site's community's double standards...

However, this is for DLC that isn't currently planned, so this is likely a non-issue.
That being said, this is purely M$'s fault, not CD Projekt's. CD is awesome like that.
It's not that PC is getting special treatment, it's that Microsoft are not giving their customers the normal treatment, thus it appears to be special treatment for the PC.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Richardplex said:
Mr. Omega said:

It's not that PC is getting special treatment, it's that Microsoft are not giving their customers the normal treatment, thus it appears to be special treatment for the PC.
I put before that it was more circumstances than anything else, and that it was M$'s fault.

See how there is no rage here? I'm just saying that if there was any circumstance that involved the 360 version getting something special as opposed to the PC version, this thread would have been filled with "Oh, CD Projekt are sellouts, how DARE they abandon PC Gamers!" and "They sold out for the console kiddies!" instead of "Well, this is completely fair and reasonable."

Oct 30, 2010
Heh, cause Tales of the Sword Coast is an example of an "expansion" that just needed to me made and with content worth its price...

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
So spend 200$ on a console and pay for DLC, or spend 900$ on a gaming computer and get free DLC. I'll stick with a console, thank you.

Honestly, the PC gaming arrogance around here is getting annoying. Some of us don't have piles of disposable income. I'd be happy to pay for DLC if it's worth-wile though.