Theory on who Gman is!

samsprinkle

Jun 29, 2008
I think that he may be a computer program, he could be a figment of Freeman's imagination (don't say that one guy sees him too, I KNOW), he could be Richard Nixon or cheese and rice. Who CARES!? Don't we have better stuff to discuss?

Snakktastic

Dec 2, 2008
This is just me but id rather not ever know what his real name is or what G-Man is short for I kinda like not knowing xD. But some good theory's going around here keep'em up guys =D.

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
Snakktastic said:
This is just me but id rather not ever know what his real name is or what G-Man is short for I kinda like not knowing xD. But some good theory's going around here keep'em up guys =D.
G-Man's short for Government Man, and is more a reference to his look and how he melds so well with Majestic conspiracy theories than any real reference to who he is or what he does.

I'd say he's just a representative, an organizer for the benefit of another interdimensional empire. Probably one above the Combine. Or maybe he's just organizing and interdimensional mercenary company as was suggested by Breen.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
samsprinkle said:
I think that he may be a computer program, he could be a figment of Freeman's imagination (don't say that one guy sees him too, I KNOW), he could be Richard Nixon or cheese and rice. Who CARES!? Don't we have better stuff to discuss?
How if we discuss how the war between RED and BLU started?

Walrus42

Apr 18, 2008
broadband said:
samsprinkle said:
well you can't have two opposite colored teams that dont fight each other

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
I gotta say, it kinda scares me that someone has put together an entire chronology of the HL series. More details about the G-Man will hopefully be revealed in subsequent episodes. It's hard to speculate about him b/c everything he says is so vague. "I've received offers for your services". What? From whom?

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
OnlySubscribedtoCommentYahtzee said:
broadband said:
samsprinkle said:
i have another question, whats on the suitcases that they try to steal from eachother?

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
The Gman isn't Gordon Freeman, please stop saying he is. It isn't really his name, he doesn't have one, Gman is simply the entity name. Both Eli and Breen have given evidence they have had past experiences with Gman, and even that Breen fought with Gman over Freeman's employment, saying that he was open (and still is) to the highest bidder. The characters adress Gman and Freeman seperatly, so he isn't Freeman in a Fight Club Tyler Durden sense.

And if Gman worked for God, then why doesn't God just do it himself, instead of having Gman have Freeman do the dirty work?

In Half Life, you could noclip into Gman's suitcase adn see that it conained a pencil, paper pad, and a pistol (and maybe somehting else). In Half Life 2 it is empty.

RED gained a contract with a secret intelligence agency, and stoockpiled many WWII era bombs, prototype weapons, and intelligence gathering...stuff. They then learned that BLU had a contract with another agency, and was also snooping around in their "stuff" and then the clusterfuck commenced.

Sirisaxman

Jun 8, 2008
SAccharing10 said:
I was discussing this earlier and I think this might be something - He infact works for God, or is in association with God, in that he enlists Freeman to restore balance when he's needed, this is open to discussion! gief ideas!
Um, he works for the Government, hence "G" man. I thought it'd be obvious.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I think the G-Man is Gordon, except several decades from now, after some kind of stroke that messes up his voice and his face. Also with a classier suit and the ability to teleport'n'shit.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I think the G-man causes more evil then good. What with making sure black mesa blew up and manipulating Freeman to kill everyone and blow things up. He also acts far to much like a sinister monster. (Maybe he works for the devil?) Also, I doubt if the guys at Value would bring God into a video game.

PsyberGoth

Nov 9, 2008
scnj said:
Gordon Freeman

I bet that at the end of the last game we'll hear Gordon speak, and it'll be with the same speech impediment.
This has been officially refuted by VALVe.

I think that he is a member of some multi-dimensional Combine resistance movement, and has recruited Gordon and Adrian because he believes they stand the best chance of stopping the Combine once and for all.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Break said:
The G-man is clearly a hypergalactic pimp.

The end.
I guess that's a good way of putting it. That's the only logical explanation. I mean, Breen says something about buying Freeman's services, albeit in different words. Plus, he works for people. So maybe he's the pimp being pimped by bigger pimps?

On a slightly different note, anyone here play Minerva: Metastasis, and have any theories on that?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
broadband said:
OnlySubscribedtoCommentYahtzee said:
broadband said:
samsprinkle said:
i have another question, whats on the suitcases that they try to steal from eachother?
Obviously its the formula for the perfect ice cream. That's the only thing valuable enough to warrent that much killing.

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
He's not human. FULLSTOP.

All signs point to G-man being from a completely different race and it's frustrating how many people seem to not take note of the storyline and come to this conclusion simply because the G-man has adorned a human form.

Idiots. Gosh.

I'm going with the theory that he's some sort of contractor for an alien rebel alliance or corporation?
I also have a feeling that him and his 'superiors' will turn on Earth as soon as the Combine have been defeated.
There's alot more going on under the surface and even the surface is still muddy water, just beginning to settle...

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
PsyberGoth said:
scnj said:
Gordon Freeman

I bet that at the end of the last game we'll hear Gordon speak, and it'll be with the same speech impediment.
This has been officially refuted by VALVe.

I think that he is a member of some multi-dimensional Combine resistance movement, and has recruited Gordon and Adrian because he believes they stand the best chance of stopping the Combine once and for all.
Possible, but then why didn't he intervene during the events of Half-Life, the events that expanded the Combine Empire? And why has, at the very least, been implied that Breen could have easily purchased Freeman's services?

And then, when Freeman was still needed, why did he pluck Freeman away, and then get angry when the vortigaunts jacked him?