There May Never be a Witcher 4

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Of course there may never be another [insert anything]. If they're not planning something then that's the most honest thing they can say. But they're still a business and The Witcher is their best selling franchise. 5-6 years from now we'll probably see another. Perhaps based on books, perhaps something new. Perhaps a prequel or a spin-ff with a brand new character from another school.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I'm okay with that. The Witcher had its run and all things has to end sometime. Better to leave it on a high note. I'm still excited about their other projects.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
sumanoskae said:
"There may never be a Witcher 4"

Um, why would anyone EXPECT there to be? Witcher 3's story closes the book about as conclusively as you can in a non-linear story. Shit, it's entirely possible for Geralt to officially retire at the end of that game.

Sure, maybe at some point it would be interesting to revisit the Witcher universe, but the character and his story don't need to be a part of that.

I thought we were all clear that the guys over at CD Projekt Red are cut from a different cloth then all these other hacks running their franchises into the ground with sequel after pointless sequel.

In the modern age of expansive cinematic universes and long running TV epics, it sometimes feels like it's been a long time since a large scale story actually ENDED, but let us not forget that, in spite of what Hollywood would have you believe, endings are a natural part of a story's life; when it's time comes, a good story knows how to die with pride.

The story of Geralt of Rivia has a perfectly fine ending as is; it's over, leave it alone and move on.
To be fair, they could've done one that doesn't follow Geralt. Maybe they could've done a game starring Ciri, or show what Yen or Triss do on their own adventures.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Witcher was fun, but I am really looking forward to their cyberpunk game. CDPR aren't the kind to beat a dead horse.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
But a Pokemon MMO only sounds good on paper, in practice it would be an atrocious grindfest because every MMO has to be the same.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Saelune said:
Long as the DLC gives a satisfying end, even if it has him walking off into the sunset. A lack of decent closure is an unpleasant feeling.
The ending to the Witcher 3 gave me all kinds of warm and fuzzies. What didn't you like about it?

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
On the one hand its kinda sad because The Witcher 3 was a fantastic game and one of the best crafted fantasy worlds to play in, in a long time. On the other hand its nice to see a series go out an high note and not drag out until you just want someone to put it out of its misery. I'm very excited to see what CDR does in the future. If someone ever does a Witcher 4 it needs to be a different character. Cuz Geralt is done. I would like them to explore more of the multi world thing that goes on in The Witcher with a different character. Some of the worlds we got glimpses of looked pretty interesting.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
JUMBO PALACE said:
Saelune said:
Long as the DLC gives a satisfying end, even if it has him walking off into the sunset. A lack of decent closure is an unpleasant feeling.
The ending to the Witcher 3 gave me all kinds of warm and fuzzies. What didn't you like about it?
Havent played it yet. Want to play from start to finish, but I don't want to work so hard to be disappointed.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Personally, that's a good thing. Geralt's story is done in my eyes, his tale, his legacy, his journey is complete, its done. Pass on the torch to someone else, like Ciri or some other witcher in training and have them go on world-changing adventure. The world of The Witcher is still brimming with intrigue but the focus is due for a change.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Saelune said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
Saelune said:
Havent played it yet. Want to play from start to finish, but I don't want to work so hard to be disappointed.
You won't be. Unless you get the bad ending. But the game has a very definitive ending. Closure is not a problem for The Witcher 3. DLC is not there to provide closure. It's there to provide more content because the game is so fuckin' good you'll want more of it.

Lots of devs should be taking notes on how to properly end a series and give players a satisfying conclusion that will make them feel like it was worthwhile. Like both the journey and its destination are equally important. Unlike Bioware and the abysmal idea that it's all about the journey. No it very much fuckin' isn't.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I for one am really happy that they are no longer making Witcher games. The Witcher 3 this is the best is the series. Let the last in the series remain the best in the series. I wish more developers did this. For me personally and this might sound a little strange, but the more I like a game the less I want to see sequels to it. Once you've made an amazing game move on to something different, otherwise your franchise will stagnate.

Nov 28, 2007
Makes me think of something Stephen King said, when he was asked why Firestarter ended where it did. He said something along the lines of "I was told that when you don't have an answer for 'What happened next?', that is the point where the story should end."

CD Projekt understands that, and far too many developers and publishers don't. Not just in games, but in all media.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Why would there be another Witcher game (at least one starring Geralt)? I thought the ending made it pretty abundantly clear that this was Geralt's last hoorah.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
I thought this was something CDPR already stated. Regardless, I don't see the problem. The Witcher is an amazing series, and the Witcher 3 was the mother of all high notes to end on. It's okay if they eventually revisit the world to cover other characters, but Geralt's story is already nice and concluded. Plus, I'd rather have them working full steam on Cyberpunk 2077.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
not really news either since they have made it clear that this is the last one.

i still havent played it. yes, still havent. im waiting for a GOTY edition and now that the last DLC is coming out, it should follow soon and i can enjoy the entire game in one go were everything is patched. this should keep me very busy for a wile.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Mister K said:
Good. Sometimes, stories need to have an ending and not every franchise has a Final Fantasy-like "new game, new world, old name" cop out.
What? That's literally the worst example you could have used. Final fantasy are all ( barring the sequels) all self contained stories. You could literally give most of them different names and it wouldn't change a thing. If anything that's what games should strive for.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The White Hunter said:
But a Pokemon MMO only sounds good on paper, in practice it would be an atrocious grindfest because every MMO has to be the same.
Pokemon already plays like an MMO anyway. Seriously. You start out in Newbie Town, get your first weapon from the people who tell you there's some big thing you should go check out, and then you set out on an epic quest spanning across a relatively large region, frequently being accosted by randos out in the middle of nowhere who want to try beating you up just because you ran in front of them for half a second and occasionally getting side-tracked by things that have little to do with whatever overarching quest you were supposed to be on in the first place.

I spent a lot of time typing out a response to your claim that "every MMO has to be the same", as well, but I feel like your opinion on MMOs is already pretty solidified.

OT: I don't see any reason to be surprised by this. I'm very excited to see what they do with Cyberpunk anyway. Cyberpunk quickly became one of my favorite thematic settings when I really dove into it for the first time a few years ago, and CD Projekt is one of the few developers I legitimately respect at the moment.