There Will Be Brawl: Episode One

The_State

Jun 25, 2008
Simply incredible. Not hokey or corny in the least, surprisingly. I had expected something much simpler, full of ironic humor. I'm not sure I really laughed at all during the whole thing, but videos about game characters don't always have to be comedic, as so many people seem to think.

The writing is a little clichè, but it is a clichè that is very original in this genre. That originality, plus the skill with which the content was fit into the mold more than makes up for the formulaic approach. The acting was some of the best I've seen, and the characters were integrated and portrayed quite well.

Fantastic stuff, can't wait to see more.

gy64

Dec 24, 2008
I went in with low expectations as I do for most things on the internet but I thought this was awesome.

I love all the gaming references, such as the SMB2 potion, which reward the keen viewer.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Went in with low expectations, but I am happy to say that they were exceeded very easily. It is certainly a disturbing video, and I am very curious as ot what will happen next.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Man I loved kirby, oh well I'll just treat it as a "what if" thing and move on.

Great video glad to see more talent coming to the escapist.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
police chief link
young police cadet roy
hyrulian justice
dons bowser, dvd(?), ganondorf and mewtwo
mewtwo dead
kirby sounding like gollum

very original
i hope they show link at some point

its all good

BGinsanity

Oct 31, 2008
Gotta say I really enjoyed this. I thought it would be crappy but i was pleasantly surprised. I cant wait to see more.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Nivag said:
is this sort of based around Smash Bros? Or just Nintendo in general. Or does it not really matter.
its a mix of there will be blood and super smash bros. brawl

thus the title there will be brawl

P1p3s

Jan 16, 2009
woah - dark.
I'm not sure if I'm on board with this concept, someone had already pointed out the pacing issues, I'd have to agree but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, I'll comment further after a coupld of episodes

Social Pariah

Nov 23, 2007
A very well done show, very good for it's dark take on the game and characters, it just had to be Kirby at the end. Awesome parody.

pimp.and.squeeze

May 16, 2008
i thought it was pretty brilliant. although some people didnt laugh, that's probably a good thing, it's just meant for entertainment, however is should entertain you, whether it be making you laugh, or getting you interested in the plot.
Either way, i liked it, and im waiting for the next instalment.
where's it at??

Weldar

Jan 26, 2009
As someone who watched the series it's great to finally see it on here on The Escapist, keep up the good work guys.

Anyway, to all you folks who enjoyed this episode you might also want to take a look at There will be Brawl's main site here http://therewillbebrawl.com/ You can see the original version of the first episode, which contains a (not so great) scene that was deleted from the version here at The Escapist and some bonus videos featuring Lakitu on the Mushroom Kingdom News. There's also a downloads with some sweet wallpapers and MP3s of the music. And while you're there swing by the forums, there's a nice little community in there and we're eager for more members, and you can also get in contact with the creators of the series there.

hutting

Dec 3, 2008
This is brilliant, it's so well thought out and the references are wonderful. Keep it up guys I can't wait for the next installment! :D :D

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Kirby sounds like Gollum/Smeagol from Lord of the Rings.

F'n creepy.

Interesting show, but it's difficult to watch these characters when they are so out of character!

"I am ze Übermensch"
Nov 6, 2007
it was alright love mushroom effects i wanna see peach use one and kick warios arse that would be funny!

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
I couldnt catch who one of the "gang" leaders were i caught bowser and mewtwo and ganon but he says the other one too quick for me to catch

Dec 20, 2008
This was brilliant. It was original, subtle, funny, had great acting and effects, AND a storyline. I do have a concern though. With a video series about a game like Super Smash Bros. Brawl it is almost an obligation to include as many characters as you can. But the effects could get really expensive, and tricky with characters like Fox, Yoshi, and the pokemon. Of course you could just reference those characters in the news reports like you did with Link, then only have the human characters actually on screen.

By the way Roamin11: The gang leaders are the villans that have been playable in SSB; Bowser, King Dedede, Ganondorf, and the body parts formerly known as mewtwo.