There Will Be Brawl: Episode One

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Without having read through the entire page of replies, i gotta say that i like the the concept. Luigi and Mario actually being drug addicts and the mushroom kingdom actually being a huge town with crime everywhere. In that light it's funny, but I took it seriously, if that's okay.

Maybe I should look through it again. It certainly is a twist that is was kirby, I thought it would be bowser.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
PumpItUp said:
I'm kinda wondering where all these new series are coming from.
That's a fair question. The short answer is I have to justify my existence as Director of Video Content by actually producing video. Kind of a double edged sword, that title.

The long answer is that Film Festival [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable]. Since the Grand Prize was a series contract with The Escapist, we kind of shot ourselves in the foot by telling them they won and had to offer them a contract. Whoops.

Our third new series, There Will be Brawl [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/there-will-be-brawl], has been in the works for some time. We're always on the lookout for exciting new video series to bring to our audience. We have a pretty high standard of quality, which is why we don't launch new video series more often, but we're always looking. We were thrilled to have found Brawl and even more thrilled that the creators were excited about adding their show to our growing lineup of exciting, new video. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

For more fruits of this never ending search for new video, watch The Escapist Show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-show] every Tuesday to see a new short video each week that may someday become a series.

As for why all of this new video is coming out at once, we scheduled the launch of all three of our newest series for this week specifically to dazzle and awe all of you fine folks. Looks like that worked. Enjoy!
Russ, I was concerned by Unskippable, but this acquisition is beyond fantastic. Excellent work on bringing this into The Escapist. de-rez has stagnated and Unskippable has not caught me at all, but this is utterly brilliant.

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
Dry comedy, on my internet? How refreshing!

I love how subtle this is and although farfetched it is actualy pretty realistic (as much as gang movies/ series are). The acting is also good which is a nice change.

ChristmasChild

Dec 4, 2008
Its as if The Escapist took every single original series on Showtime and mashed them all together with The Silence Of The Lambs

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
OK, This has fantastic acting, great visuals, an amusing story, and even if the concept of something like this has been thought of (Robot Chicken anyone?) it is much more professionally and maturely done. I just can't tell how seriously I'm supposed to take it. It's hardly consistently hilarious, in fact a lot of the laughs I got out of it were from uncomfortable situations or the way the concept was portrayed in the world. However, the key here I think is that I was laughing. I definitely had a positive reaction to it which is more than I can say for a lot of things I find on the internet these days. Even more so, I have to watch the rest now. At least the next couple of episodes. I'm quite excited about it and hope it can keep it moving.

In fact, I realise now that what makes it even more appealing is how this kind of thing has only been attempted in pure comedy form. It's like Shaun of the Dead for video games; they've somehow managed to combine a genre with a spoof and make it both funny and serious. Very much awaiting the next episode.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
My friend has a theory that the mushrooms are hallucinogenic and the whole game series is taking place inside Mario's head. Mario is just a tripping-out guy hopping around Manhattan imagining he's in a fairy realm saving a princess.

I didn't ask what his opinion on the Kirby series was, though.

ghostgnome

Jun 26, 2008
So dark. But it was well written and enjoyable. This has so much potential. I liked that though the dialogue was serious for the most part, things such as kirby, MooMoo Meadows, the Ice climbers, etc kept it funny enough to keep me interested.

I for one will be a loyal viewer of this incredibly awesome show

Rolling 20

Jan 1, 2009
I'm not a mario fan but I know enough of the series to get by. I think that was brilliant. Black-comedy take on a video game. Soprano's meets Blackadder. I can't wait for the next one.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I think they made princess like they did cause cluless bimbo dosent quite fit the atmosphere. It's going to be interesting to see how they make some of the charicters look considering how they went with kirby. Though my guess as to the main villan would have to be Snake, dismembering people and using there skins to make cammos. It would represent an outside force (not nintendo charicter) invading on nintendo land. of corse this could also be Sonic but id say Snake more fits the bill.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
nooooooo mewtwo!
i hope mew is safe >_<

XD that was really good, i cant wait for the next one

Ectosage

Jan 14, 2009
For a long time now I have stayed away from things that could be considered childish, or made for kids only. I am glad to see these childhood things be turned into something for an older audience, especially if that older audience, like me, grew up with some of this stuff in its original form. I only wish it had been a full length movie, guess I shall just have to wait for the next episodes.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
Now this looks very interesting. Very dark, the perfect offset to the humour on the rest of the site. Something I will definitely continue to watch in the future.

Dread_Reaper

Dec 4, 2008
Dechef said:
It's too slow.
Took 5 minutes to get a small laugh out of me.
I'm not entirely sure this is supposed to be one of those things you laugh at. The humor aspect of it comes from how bizarre the portrayal of these characters is and how dark the narrative is. I immensely enjoyed this, but didn't laugh once.

This is some really well done writing, acting, directing, and set production. Fantastic job to all of you, can't wait for the next one!

-Dread_Reaper

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
Honestly I felt like I was watching a cross between "The Sopranos/any Coen Brothers movie/Super Smash Brothers" and it was EPIC! I saw this on the front page and though "Wow this is going to be so lame" but to my suprise it was a fresh, noir style Brawl tale.

Whoever these guys are keep it up because I love it!