There Will Likely Never be Another Xbox One Exclusive

Hiddelgreyk

Sep 29, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
thewatergamer said:
[...] bringing over your inferior Xbone exclusives isn't going to change my mind Micro$oft [...]
Ohmigosh everyone. Look, I refer to Microsoft as Micro$oft because the 'S' looks like a '$', and it shows that Microsoft are greedy for cash!! I'm so clever :)

And I only refer to the Xbox One as the Xbone, because it is very penisy, since it's made by Microdollaroft.

Man... We all get it. You don't like Microsoft or their console. Your terms stopped being funny a long time ago, it's just exhausting, I don't know why you bother.
I always interpreted the term Xbone in the old-fashioned way [http://dialbforblog.com/archives/136/]...
Because you know, the horrendous direction MS originally wanted to take the console and the following outrage, truly made this a boner for the ages.

OT: So wait, they're basically making themselves obsolete? Interesting...

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Kibeth41 said:
Because it's paying for convenience.

-To start, a regular Xbox One is cheaper than a gaming PC. Note, I'm not saying the Xbox One is BETTER. I'm saying that it's CHEAPER. $300 won't get you a very good PC.
You'd be surprised what $300 dollars can get you if you're very picky and don't mind getting used parts. Put some more into it and you've got something that equals or runs some laps around both a Bone and a PS4. Not always a lot of laps, but still.
-When you buy a PC, you either need to pay an inflated price for a prebuilt flashy PC which isn't overly powerful (e.g. an Alienware), or you need to have a relatively good amount of knowledge as to what components you need, which are better etc. To buy an Xbox, you just go into a store and pay for it.
These days, if you have a smartphone, you arguably know enough to deal with assembling a system or paying someone/a company to assemble it for you without buying from a company that inflates the price tenfold.
-On PC, games are primarily bought digitally, and are generally all over the place. You'll be using Steam, Origins, Games for Windows, Battle.net, etc. Xbox games are either physical, or all stored in a singular location.
Most will be using Steam or Bnet and GFW is incredibly unlikely considering it's effectively dead and you'll need to work around it for older titles(I miss you, Battlestations).
-When you play a game on PC, you'll need to mess around with the settings configuration to try and find the setup which best works on your PC at the best quality. On Xbox, all of the settings are already configured to be as good as the system can handle it.
Not really. There are questionable choices on consoles that make you wish you could change settings to get stable/better framerates.
Sure, some of the things that I've listed may seem ridiculous to some. However, the #PCMASTERRACE isn't the sole market for games. Not everyone has nor wants to learn the knowledge required for PC setups and games. It's good that Microsoft are accommodating preference.
I'm actually willing to say at this point that anyone that does not have the knowledge to go through basic PC game setups these days are possibly mentally impaired, considering how easy it has gotten. Not calling those people retarded, I'm saying that if a person cannot go through a basic install screen for Steam or, for select titles, input a CD key, I don't think they can use a console either.

It's one thing to not want to deal with any possible extra steps and just want to be lazy about things. That's fine, not using the word as an insult. I'm lazy.
But with the proliferation of smartphones and the like, I find it hard to believe that someone who uses one on a regular basis does not have the knowledge to set up games on a PC, or even hardware. With modular phones and cases on the horizon, and the things you now need to do to set up a console, the idea that PC gaming needs a lot of time to even understand has long gone out the window.

Kibeth41 said:
Ohmigosh everyone. Look, I refer to Microsoft as Micro$oft because the 'S' looks like a '$', and it shows that Microsoft are greedy for cash!! I'm so clever :)
A friend of mine came up with Appl?.
And I only refer to the Xbox One as the Xbone, because it is very penisy, since it's made by Microdollaroft.
I don't think anyone has ever thought of it to mean a Penis. Just a bone, dog bone probably.
I mean, even owners of the system call it that.
Man... We all get it. You don't like Microsoft or their console. Your terms stopped being funny a long time ago, it's just exhausting, I don't know why you bother.
Because it's actually a funny term for the system that makes sense?
And shit, there's no faulting them on this motion. They're just accommodating preference. People will still buy Xbox Ones, but now the games are accessible on PC as well. Sure, it's limited, but it's progress.
If it was available for Windows 7 or Windows 10 wasn't a pile, it'd be great progress.

To me, it just seems like an attempt to get people to convert to another locked down store on a locked down system, which many people here have nailed in being disturbingly similar to Games for Windows Live.

I don't even know why I typed this at 11:00PM.

Hiddelgreyk

Sep 29, 2015
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Kibeth41 said:
Sure, some of the things that I've listed may seem ridiculous to some. However, the #PCMASTERRACE isn't the sole market for games. Not everyone has nor wants to learn the knowledge required for PC setups and games. It's good that Microsoft are accommodating preference.
I'm actually willing to say at this point that anyone that does not have the knowledge to go through basic PC game setups these days are possibly mentally impaired, considering how easy it has gotten. Not calling those people retarded, I'm saying that if a person cannot go through a basic install screen for Steam or, for select titles, input a CD key, I don't think they can use a console either.

It's one thing to not want to deal with any possible extra steps and just want to be lazy about things. That's fine, not using the word as an insult. I'm lazy.
But with the proliferation of smartphones and the like, I find it hard to believe that someone who uses one on a regular basis does not have the knowledge to set up games on a PC, or even hardware. With modular phones and cases on the horizon, and the things you now need to do to set up a console, the idea that PC gaming needs a lot of time to even understand has long gone out the window.
Then I guess I (and every other console aficionado) am on a whole new level of lazy. I used to be a PC gamer like you, but then I discovered consoles.
I could propably game on my PC again. But until it's properly set up, my PC experience will always be inferior to that on a console.
Fuck, even my PS Vita runs Terraria better that my PC does, not even kidding.
Yes, I could go through the trouble of setting everything up... for every single game I own.

That, and then there's also the fact that I have no internet connection for my PC. ;)

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
The only thing that will make me care about this is if they let me buy the Rare Replay Collection for PC. Outside of that I couldn't give less of a shit about Microsoft. The only reason I have Windows 10 is because it was what came installed on my laptop. I don't mind using it, it hasn't given me any major problems, it's just that I wouldn't care about it since Windows 7 was working just fine on my last PC.

Mar 26, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
And I'm just over here, waiting for GFWL 2.0 to crash and burn.

XBone games on my PC still isn't enough to get me to get Windows 10, and I'm sure someone will figure out a workaround for those of us who wanted to remain with Windows 7 or 8.
Don't understand the hate for Windows 10. Yes, it's... aggressive with its upgrades, but it is considerably better than Windows 8, and even a little better than Windows 7 which is getting quite dated these days.
I'm really coming around to Windows 10. I use Windows 7 at work and have for years, so I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to "upgrading". My daughter's computer has Windows 8.1 and it gives me the shits.

That said as a Xbox One owner I'm cool with the idea. I outgrew the whole "console warz" thing when I reached adulthood.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
What this means is that there will likely never be another Xbox One exclusive title, unless of course a third-party publisher such as EA games decides to make a game exclusively for the console.
Think this would be a key point to take note of.
While Microsoft might be pushing with their first party games i.e. Halo

I would expect publishers to still push exclusives to the console...

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Hiddelgreyk said:
Then I guess I (and every other console aficionado) am on a whole new level of lazy.
I'm still the laziest bastard I've ever met!
I used to be a PC gamer like you, but then I discovered consoles.
Oh if anything, I'm still just a hardcore console player that has a large PC library, but shifting over to PC because it seems that's where most of my hype titles are at their peak.
I could propably game on my PC again. But until it's properly set up, my PC experience will always be inferior to that on a console.
Fuck, even my PS Vita runs Terraria better that my PC does, not even kidding.
How old is your toaster exactly? I have/had a supertoaster that managed to run it at 60fps at a lower resolution. Your system must be very old to struggle with it.

But props for even being one of the lucky few who actually bought the damn Vita and gives it love.
Yes, I could go through the trouble of setting everything up... for every single game I own.
Is it really that hard? Serious question. If anything would struggle on my toaster that ran, I'd just make sure everything fancy was off and bam, ran everything not recent very nicely and it was just a toaster.
That, and then there's also the fact that I have no internet connection for my PC. ;)
That's probably the biggest strike against most PC gaming, but that was about to become an issue for the Xbone as well until it nearly killed all chance of it selling any hardware due to backlash.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
Kibeth41 said:
-When you buy a PC, you either need to pay an inflated price for a prebuilt flashy PC which isn't overly powerful (e.g. an Alienware), or you need to have a relatively good amount of knowledge as to what components you need, which are better etc. To buy an Xbox, you just go into a store and pay for it.
No you don't, and no you don't. Any reputable pc store will charge you a small fee for assembling a custom machine for you, and you'll get better warranty terms out of it as a bonus.

-On PC, games are primarily bought digitally, and are generally all over the place. You'll be using Steam, Origins, Games for Windows, Battle.net, etc. Xbox games are either physical, or all stored in a singular location.
What? All digital games are stored on your ssd/hdd. Sure they might be in different folders, but you can easily choose to have them all install to the same folder, like x:\games\. Or do you think that multiple programs need to be opened first in order to play those games? Also not true. It's incredibly easy to put a shortcut on your desktop and run whatever game you want directly from there.

-When you play a game on PC, you'll need to mess around with the settings configuration to try and find the setup which best works on your PC at the best quality. On Xbox, all of the settings are already configured to be as good as the system can handle it.
This is also incorrect. When you run a game for the first time it will automatically detect the best settings for your system's hardware. Often, the autodetect settings are rather conservative, and you can choose to tweak them if you want to for better performance or improved visuals. There is no *need* to "mess around with the settings configuration". It's an option, sure, but it's not a necessity or something that *has* to be done.

See, that's one of the beauties of pc gaming, choice. Something I've noticed a distinct lack of when it comes to console gaming.

-------------

LegendaryGamer0 said:
If *snip* Windows 10 wasn't a pile
I'm more than old enough to have heard all of the complaints about windows 10 being said about every version of windows since 3.11. Is it bad that I still find it amusing?

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
DarthCoercis said:
I'm more than old enough to have heard all of the complaints about windows 10 being said about every version of windows since 3.11. Is it bad that I still find it amusing?
Does that include it being a privacy nightmare? That's probably my primary reason on top of Microsoft effectively forcing people to upgrade and screwing their systems.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Don't understand the hate for Windows 10. Yes, it's... aggressive with its upgrades, but it is considerably better than Windows 8, and even a little better than Windows 7 which is getting quite dated these days.
1. Forced Updates. I don't consider aggressive forced updates to be a minor issue. Firstly it tends to break things, secondly its my computer, so I should always be in full control of what is or is not installed at any one time. This is non-negotiable.

2. Forced Upgrades to Win10. The whole forced upgrade fiasco puts an extremely bad taste in my mouth. I know what to do to stop it happening, sure, but I also have to maintain computers for a whole bunch of other people who get tetchy if an icon on their desktop moves position. They have no idea how to control/stop the forced Win10 upgrades, and imagine if they actually did get upgraded! The anguished wails of confusion could be heard from wales!

3. Privacy. Yes, I am aware that the majority of the privacy stuff can be switched off, but the fact you cannot actaully turn it all off is a problem to start with. On top of that, it all defaults to "on" with no mention anywhere, and the relevant settings are hardly made easy to locate - so non-computer people probably won't find them at all, let alone make an informed decision. I'm not saying the options shouldn't be there, but it should be an opt-in decision made during installation: Microsoft should justify to me (or whoever) why they want all this information and what they'll do with it, and give me the choice up-front.

4. Universal Windows Architecture / Windows Store. This is an extremely poorly disguised attempt to create an apple-style walled garden, which for me misses the point and power of having a PC in the first place. No, they're not (currently) making traditional Win32 programs impossible to use, but they are adding features that are only available to UWA programs for no reason other than to try and make people use UWA. A good example is the updates to the sound architecture: In Windows Vista, they completely reworked the Windows Sound Architecture. This was mostly a good thing, as it took a lot of the code out of kernal mode, so less BSODs. However, it also broke hardware mixing and acceleration. Therefore on Win Vista/7, ALL sound mixing is done in software (unless you use a non-windows API like OpenAL, but we'll gloss over that as, for games at least, that basically never happens). This means that you're using up valuable CPU cycles which could be offloaded to your sound card, and the result is generally inferior anyway. Come along Win8.1/10, they re-introduced "hardware-offloading" as they now call it for the first 32 sounds streams - GREAT! but... yep, there's a but... this functionality is only available to Metro/UWA programs.

5. Visual Style. A minor point, yes, but I dislike the Win8/Win10 visual style of Windows. Flat, angular, no colour co-ordination, no clear distinction between button and label and a serious over-use of icons instead of descriptive text. I just find Aero/Win7 nicer to use and to look at, and yes I have tried Win10.

6. Lack of Benefits. Frankly, I don't see that Win10 offers any features I need over Win7, and I prefer Win7's visual style (Aero). So why bother exchanging what I know works for me, for something that has a lot more aggro and doesn't offer anything extra that I want?

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
its amazing how many people complain about privacy in windows 10 when there are some verrrrry easy things to do to wipe them out.....

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Balimaar said:
its amazing how many people complain about privacy in windows 10 when there are some verrrrry easy things to do to wipe them out.....
I shouldn't need to wipe them out - its not the feature itself, or how easy it is to bypass it, its the intent behind it. Its an extremely shady business practice and we should not tolerate it. Besides, I am "easily wiping it out" by exercising my right to choose to not install Win10 so the problem doesn't arise in the first place, a right that MS apparently doesn't think I should have, based on their aggressive upgrade practices.

Besides, you say "easy", but don't forget we're in the top 10% of people who know how to use computers properly. The bottom 50% wouldn't have any idea that they're being spied on in the first place, much less how to deal with it.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Does that include it being a privacy nightmare?
No, that was a new one. It's incredibly easy to turn off though, and really isn't as big a problem as people have made it out to be.

The "forcing people to upgrade and screwing their systems" was old hat though.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
DarthCoercis said:
No, that was a new one. It's incredibly easy to turn off though, and really isn't as big a problem as people have made it out to be.
Only what it lets you turn off, and even then it still sends information you tell it not to. If Microsoft wasn't pulling that, I'd be putting 10 on my new rig.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Because it's paying for convenience.

-To start, a regular Xbox One is cheaper than a gaming PC. Note, I'm not saying the Xbox One is BETTER. I'm saying that it's CHEAPER. $300 won't get you a very good PC.
Well - kind of. What you say is true. However nearly everybody needs a pc anyway. Whether it's for searching the internet or for work. And if you happen to have a work that requires more than just text editing from your computer any processor upgrades will be both beneficial for games and work as well.
So, yes, while a pc is generally more expensive to buy it's also not that much more expensive if you consider you need a pc anyway.
As I said a decent processor also helps with work and for the 300$ you would pay for the xbone you can easily get a really good gpu for your games. Every other pc-part doesn't pay a too large part for game-performance.

That is pure BS. I have been playing on PC for years and I can count the times I had to manually adjust a games settings on one hand. The games are usually smart enough to switch to settings that your pc can handle well.
Sure, if you really want to min-max your game-performance you can spent some time tweaking the settings for higher fps or better textures, but you almost never have to do it in order to play a game.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh, so still exclusive to microsoft current platforms then? Well that killed any excitement i almost had. Sounded too good to be true.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
GIVE ME HALO 3 ON PC MICROSOFT!

Didn't they do a remaster of the older Halo games for the XBone? Would that allow me to finally play Halo 3? or is this just going to be things coming out from now?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I thought this meant that games would start showing up on PS4 eventually. Silly, I know, but that's what popped into my head when I read the title. Glad that's not the case, because I'm finally getting ready to buy one because there are enough games on it now that I want to play, but it would kind of bum me out if everything after that I could get on a different system. It would ruin the point of the console for me.

Hiddelgreyk

Sep 29, 2015
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I'm still the laziest bastard I've ever met!
Impossible! I refuse to surrender my title of "Laziest Bastard[sup]TM[/sup]"!

even my PS Vita runs Terraria better that my PC does, not even kidding.
How old is your toaster exactly? I have/had a supertoaster that managed to run it at 60fps at a lower resolution. Your system must be very old to struggle with it.
It is quite toasty indeed!
But seriously, it can run Windows 7 no problem.
I actually inherited my rig form a friend, and he was able to play games as recent as Deus Ex: Human Revolution fluidly on it.
So the problem is clearly lack of optimization on my part.

But props for even being one of the lucky few who actually bought the damn Vita and gives it love.
I've actually got 2 ^^

Is it really that hard? Serious question. If anything would struggle on my toaster that ran, I'd just make sure everything fancy was off and bam, ran everything not recent very nicely and it was just a toaster.
No, it's not actually that hard. With my previous toaster, I was able (and willing) to put up with all that. It could at least run Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) on max settings (and sound like a starting jet plane while doing so), and barely let me participate in Tribes:Ascend.
With my current machine, it mostly comes down to...
...the fact that I have no internet connection for my PC. ;)
That's probably the biggest strike against most PC gaming, but that was about to become an issue for the Xbone as well until it nearly killed all chance of it selling any hardware due to backlash.
Yeah, I still don't that. I see all the benefits PC gaming has, but these benefits depend heavily on freedom.
And with the Xbone, they were set to take as much control as they possibly could, lock it in a safe, and launch that safe into some sun somewhere.

Luckily the were pressured to backpedal, but even then, it's baffling to think what they tried to get away with.