They Call us Play-ers

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
They Call us Play-ers

Raise a glass to the puckish games that don?t obey the rules.

Read Full Article

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I enjoyed DMC4 when it broke the 4th wall. It was only a tiny thing but when you are playing as Dante, if you leave him standing still for too long he looks behind him at the camera and raises his hands as if to say "What are you doing, get on with it".

I was pleasantly surprised when it happened

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I love how some games will break the 4th wall. As mentioned the scene in MGS4 was brilliant when everything was going crazy.

It creates for something just a little different

Apr 28, 2008
That reminds me of a few moments in MGS4, most notably Psycho Mantis.

That was a fun little moment :p

And I find it funny when games do this. Sure it breaks immersion for some people, but I find it a welcome change from the "grim, gritty, and super-serious" tones most games try, and fail at setting.

I read in a preview for Marvel vs. Capcom 3 that Deadpool will constantly break the 4th wall. One example was he takes his own health bar and beats the opponent with it. It will be interesting to play with him when the game comes out.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Contact for DS had a REALLY neat way of addressing the player, and it made for a touching ending to the game. I highly recommend it!

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Hulyen said:
and it made for a touching ending to the game.
Nice DS pun there!

I always love it when games break the fourth wall. It makes normally boring sections such as tutorials actually enjoyable.

This is off-topic a bit but a lot of people I know don't really seem to have fun when gaming but just do it to rank up in something.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
The mexican pirates in Lost Planet 2. Everything they did made me smile. They were just such silly characters compared to the relative seriousness of the other factions.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I always loved this in the Metal Gear series!

I do think that MGS 3 had the best one though, the one about his feelings about the cardboard box.
Too bad I can't find a transcript at the moment.

tjoris9

Nov 25, 2008
No mention of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem? Between trying to tell you that your Gamecube was broken and all the other f-ed up things that happened when you let your sanity run low, that game played with you as much as you played it.

TimeCruiserMike

Oct 1, 2009
i would just like to point out a minor error in the article . . .

"The first Metal Gear game uses other Konami saves on your memory card to pretend to read your mind, saying "You like Castlevania, don't you?" if a save for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is found. And in Metal Gear 2, Raiden is told that the mission has failed and he must "Turn the game console off right now!"

I think you mean Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. The First Metal Gear was released for the MSX2 in japan and ported to the NES for us release, and Metal Gear 2 was release only on japan on the MSX2 though later it was ported to mobile devices and included with Metal Gear Solid 3

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
I agree with the article really. Games are games first. Everything else is second to the gaming aspect. If you're not having fun with the game, then said game has failing in being what it was created as. A game.

And 4th wall breaking makes me giggle every time when it's done awesomely.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
One point of contention:

Discussions about whether games are art, or narrative vehicles or able to handle complex moral scenarios are missing the point. These questions make sense when applied to other less playful media, but we need to let games stand on their own merits.
While I agree that games do have their own unique merits, I don't believe that obviates those other, more traditional questions. Interactive art has existed for decades, much of it encouraging play. That games can represent narrative vehicles should not be in doubt; one need only look at the evolution from novel to CYOA book to modern interactive fiction.

Again, I do believe that it is the unique quality of games which make them so fascinating, but I do believe there is room for discussion to be had about games and their relations with other forms of media.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Nice reference to the Select button trick in Link's Awakening. I spent hours glitching my way around the game with that back in the day...

And I agree. My favorite part of Metal Gear Solid 4 is still the part where Otacon tells you to change the disc, and then realizes the game is on PS3 and blu-ray. Then Snake yells at him. Good stuff.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Special message to the author of this article:

Metal Gear is an MSX game (also ported to the NES). Metal Gear Solid is a Playstation game. Learn the difference, it could save lives.

P.S. Thanks

omega247

Apr 12, 2010
i loved it in monkey island 4 where u look at an iron maiden torture device and he says 'IRON MAIDEN YEAAA!!! I have no idea why i just said that' :)

kinda breaking the fourth wall i think

Brian Name

Feb 1, 2008
I always loved that MGS never took itself too seriously. Theres a bit in the first Metal Gear Solid when you lose a keycard in a drainage ditch. Master calls up and says: "A rat must've eaten it."

"A rat? That's just ridiculous," Snake retorts.

"It's the only explanation," says Master Miller, "Rats eat all sorts of things. And there's nothing ridiculous about that..."

It sums up the attitude of MGS entirely. It's a bit like True Lies in that respect. It's ridiculous, but it knows that it's ridiculous.

Brian Name

Feb 1, 2008
mjc0961 said:
And I agree. My favorite part of Metal Gear Solid 4 is still the part where Otacon tells you to change the disc, and then realizes the game is on PS3 and blu-ray. Then Snake yells at him. Good stuff.
Or whenever you fight the reincarnation of Psycho Mantis - if you try to reassign the controller to controller 2 on the PS3 he shouts at you: "Did you really think that would work this time!?"

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
"YES! Rumble feature is back!!" Love it. I actually got the Suikoden message in MGS. I like this article because it brings up the fact that games are supposed to be fun and be about playing before anything else.