They fired the Escapist's editor, and the video team, Yahtzee resigns

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I also think he always wanted a partnership, deep down. He had that one-off gaming news channel with friends that didn't take off, then tried again with the Mana Bar and that was a fiasco. Always felt like he had to settle for the lone wolf thing when ZP became a hit. Not that it was a bad thing but I get the impression he's grateful for finally building something with other people (since he's shelling out big time for Second Wind) instead of merely clocking in.
What happened with Mana Bar? That news show was pretty good at the time I remember enjoying it. Unpolished but promising.
I didn't even know about Mana Bar. Seemed like it was supposed to be a spiritual successor to his Let's Drownout LP series.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
What happened with Mana Bar? That news show was pretty good at the time I remember enjoying it. Unpolished but promising.
From what I've pieced from the occasional mention in Let's Drown Out, it failed to build a regular clientele and those that did show up would do so for the free games while engaging the bare minimum with the 'Bar' part of the establishment. They also tried franchising a little too fast. They opened another one in Melbourne and almost immediately had to close it.

Apparently there was also some bad blood behind the scenes. Yahtzee, who was an investor and silent partner, has alluded to getting swindled by one of his partners. He finally pulled out after bleeding enough money and the bar had to close. At least that's what I make of it. Good luck getting him to talk about any of this, it's clearly a sore subject. Or at least it used to be whenever Gabe would bring it up.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Debuts tomorrow on Thursday at 12:00 p.m.

Well, it absolutely is just Zero Punctuation with a different colour pattern. I don't see how the actual review would have been any different, it's just Yahtzee talking, but the tiny visual changes are an amusing middle finger.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I like the dog sidekick. It's cute. But yes, ZP with a coat of paint. That's fine tho. Was actually kind of refreshing watching one of his reviews again. Been a while.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I like the dog sidekick. It's cute. But yes, ZP with a coat of paint. That's fine tho. Was actually kind of refreshing watching one of his reviews again. Been a while.
Zero Punctuation; but red instead of yellow, Yatzhee wearing glasses and dressed with a black coat and black hat instead of white hat, a dog instead of an imp, and everyone without glasses has googly eyes instead of black bead eyes.

I can't tell if they came up with it on the fly, or they had planned to revamp Zero Punctiation at some point with that as its new look.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Zero Punctuation; but red instead of yellow, Yatzhee wearing glasses and dressed with a black coat and black hat instead of white hat, a dog instead of an imp, and everyone without glasses has googly eyes instead of black bead eyes.

I can't tell if they came up with it on the fly, or they had planned to revamp Zero Punctiation at some point with that as its new look.
To me it just looks like "legally distinct" but played for laughs.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
From what I've pieced from the occasional mention in Let's Drown Out, it failed to build a regular clientele and those that did show up would do so for the free games while engaging the bare minimum with the 'Bar' part of the establishment. They also tried franchising a little too fast. They opened another one in Melbourne and almost immediately had to close it.

Apparently there was also some bad blood behind the scenes. Yahtzee, who was an investor and silent partner, has alluded to getting swindled by one of his partners. He finally pulled out after bleeding enough money and the bar had to close. At least that's what I make of it. Good luck getting him to talk about any of this, it's clearly a sore subject. Or at least it used to be whenever Gabe would bring it up.
Oh shit. That's a shame. I knew it went under but I figured it was just a case of these things usually fail and way too many people think they can run a hospitality business and then they see the margins and the work hours and realise they have made a terrible mistake.

But yeah I used to play D&D in a bar that hosted a weekly game night. Always bothered me how in a group of dozens of gamers most would spend next to fuck all on food and drink. They always got pissy with my group (it was just a coincidence we were there on gaming night we were totally separate) because we would get preferential treatment from the staff. Like yeah dudes, between us we spend 2 to 3 hundred every session. You guys sit at a table of 8 and one of you bought a pot of tea.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Oh shit. That's a shame. I knew it went under but I figured it was just a case of these things usually fail and way too many people think they can run a hospitality business and then they see the margins and the work hours and realise they have made a terrible mistake.

But yeah I used to play D&D in a bar that hosted a weekly game night. Always bothered me how in a group of dozens of gamers most would spend next to fuck all on food and drink. They always got pissy with my group (it was just a coincidence we were there on gaming night we were totally separate) because we would get preferential treatment from the staff. Like yeah dudes, between us we spend 2 to 3 hundred every session. You guys sit at a table of 8 and one of you bought a pot of tea.
I think also video games aren't social in the way they used to be, where we'd all sit around the same screen with beers playing games. I think it's built into most games that the social element is online play, which I'm not sure the bar situation caters to.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It was basically that, a general case of mismanagement. Misread the market, franchised too soon and bled their one investor dry. But yeah, if I had a nickel for every hipster bar I've seen open and close I'd have the moolah to buy Twitter.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Just watched a bit of the post-FR review stream. They said that they were considering toning the red colour down.

As to the video itself it just feels like another ZP video. Which I have no problem with and is what I expected.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It was basically that, a general case of mismanagement. Misread the market, franchised too soon and bled their one investor dry. But yeah, if I had a nickel for every hipster bar I've seen open and close I'd have the moolah to buy Twitter.
Yeah I went to the Melbourne Mana Bar. Oh boy, I’ve been to a few shitty watering holes in my day but the drinks were expensive and not great and the atmosphere was just not fun. Even the worst of the other bars I’d been to at least managed to be bars. And competition in Melbourne for bars is fucking cut throat. Staying in Brisbane may have worked and netting a nice little regular profitable clientele. But in Melbourne CBD? It’s sink or swim and there’s pubs there older than our house of Parliament.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Bloody hell now I am reminded of how all the geek bars in my city closed down and we are left with a cultural wasteland of generic franchise pubs

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Fun fact:

Its now been 9 days since an escapist video came out. In their piece on Nicks firing Gamers council commented that it's entirely possible no one at Gamurs even has access to the youtube channel to upload any new content since Nick was in charge of the channel. I have to imagine if they asked for the keys Nick would be legally bound to give them over and I'm sure he'd acquiesce.

What a strange and inept direction to take the company. I work in corporate and unless it was an emergency, like guy spouted racist stuff on a bridge (watched that happen in real time once), you'd do empathy interviews with their team to gage reaction and fallout. Complain about meeting ad revenue goals and boom now you're at 0 for the foreseeable future. Good job.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Fun fact:

Its now been 9 days since an escapist video came out. In their piece on Nicks firing Gamers council commented that it's entirely possible no one at Gamurs even has access to the youtube channel to upload any new content since Nick was in charge of the channel. I have to imagine if they asked for the keys Nick would be legally bound to give them over and I'm sure he'd acquiesce.

What a strange and inept direction to take the company. I work in corporate and unless it was an emergency, like guy spouted racist stuff on a bridge (watched that happen in real time once), you'd do empathy interviews with their team to gage reaction and fallout. Complain about meeting ad revenue goals and boom now you're at 0 for the foreseeable future. Good job.
I'm starting to wonder if they will even ever upload the last Zero Punctuation that the Patreon subscribers saw for the general public.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Fun fact:

Would he be? Considering they just fucking fired him on the day and locked him out of his company email, he could totally have lost access himself to the password. Our company uses a password manager for example.

I'd say he could easily refuse to help them in any way, so long as he's not actually keeping any company owned property. Companies are supposed to have an offboarding process for a reason.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'm starting to wonder if they will even ever upload the last Zero Punctuation that the Patreon subscribers saw for the general public.
hmm. The content is owned by Gamurs, I imagine it will go up eventually. I suspect Gamurs literally will have to hire someone to get tubes uploaded, Nick and team were literally in charge of uploads so I doubt Gamurs even has someone to do that function if they havent released it by now...

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Would he be? Considering they just fucking fired him on the day and locked him out of his company email, he could totally have lost access himself to the password. Our company uses a password manager for example.

I'd say he could easily refuse to help them in any way, so long as he's not actually keeping any company owned property. Companies are supposed to have an offboarding process for a reason.
There was a case about this a while back. The Traffic control manager for San Francisco lost his mind, quit and locked everyone out of the system. He went to prison for obvious reasons, but I think there's standing precedent that they could sue Nick. I think this would fall under malicious behavior and he'd have to go through some legal hassle. He's not the vindictive type, I'm sure if they asked he'd had over the logins and keys. The way he describes Gamurs though they seem pretty inept and may already have the keys, but no talent to get the channel going again.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

I was thinking the same thing. If they ousted him without organizing a strategy upon said ouster, it's pretty much on them to figure their own shit out now. If they kicked him out of the house, there's no obligation for him to return they key he has to the cupboard. They should have had their own key to the cupboard, and changed the locks to the house making his access to the cupboard a moot issue.

There was a case about this a while back. The Traffic control manager for San Francisco lost his mind, quit and locked everyone out of the system. He went to prison for obvious reasons, but I think there's standing precedent that they could sue Nick. I think this would fall under malicious behavior and he'd have to go through some legal hassle. He's not the vindictive type, I'm sure if they asked he'd had over the logins and keys. The way he describes Gamurs though they seem pretty inept and may already have the keys, but no talent to get the channel going again.
How could they sue? He's done nothing as malicious as intentionally sabotaging what he was forced away from. He was told to leave, and Gamurs [apparently] had no contingency plan; Nick is under no obligation to aid them now in any way. He even rejected their severance, so they can't even use quid pro quo and bank on good faith for his help. They shot him in the leg, and bullet ricocheted off a wall and hit them in the head.
(Now I'm hoping they're not reading these comments and decide to kill the forum out of spite...)