They fired the Escapist's editor, and the video team, Yahtzee resigns

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I tuned in to the stream, and it sounds like there won't be a journalistic website or anything of the sort for Second Wind ala The Escapist, so likely no forums either.

It was a pleasure, mentlegen
Thats a shame,. I hate sounding this critical, but I wonder how well their numbers will do without some kinda promotional site. I know a lot of streamers who do great without a site, but those streamers stream on a regular schedule like 9-5, 2-10.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Well if there won't be any forum anymore, let me just say thanks for these years. I've enjoyed several of our conversations around these parts.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I tuned in to the stream, and it sounds like there won't be a journalistic website or anything of the sort for Second Wind ala The Escapist, so likely no forums either.

It was a pleasure, mentlegen
Oof, yeah, I listened in but hadn't connected the dots on that...

Well, it was a good 15 years, 1/3 of my life spent on this site. Whoever would have thought it.

If any of you remeber Escapism UK they still have a discord channel. I haven't posted on there for a year but a couple of other old escapists just popped up in the general chat

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Welp. I guess we can look forward to a bunch of new, original shows on Second Wind like Yahtzee's Ramblomatic Game Critique Animation, Darren Mooney's On The Celluloid and the review show180 Seconds Review.
Yahtzee's new show will be called Fully Ramblomatic, so I want to claim half a point.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Sigh, I know we should consider ourselves very fortunate we lasted this long, surviving so many other outlets and forums, despite everything. But yeah, this one is probably it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But I'm guessing some day we're gonna wake up to find the lights off, courtesy of the soulless corpos at Gamurs. Doesn't seem like the new thing will have forums, which was really unlikely anyway.

2023 just plain sucks, doesn't it? At least it does for me. So many things I like dying or going in directions I no longer really enjoy.

But does it have to end here? Is there any place we could go? Like, I know there's a couple active forums left, but I don't think they'd be very welcoming to all of us. Could we maybe set up our own Reddit or Discord, or something? Neither ideal, but it'd be something. Stupid idea maybe, but, you know, if it works

Last edited:

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm pretty sure anyone that calls themselves fascist is far right.

But of course, it's me exaggerating, not the fact that everyone in there holds beliefs that do not oppose or contradict a self-admitted fascist in any way shape or form, got to give him credit, at least he is self aware and honest enough to know what he is though, unlike some other people that are either too stupid to recognize what they are or too spineless to admit what they are.
What the absolute hell are you even referring to? No one on that server supports facsim, calls themselves fascists, or is "too stupid" to recognize facts. You built a strawman in your head, and now you're trying to play gatekeeper to my community by defaming it because you don't like the strawman. There's plenty of people here we would be glad to have around, Especially the people that bring disagreements. Facism requires thst everyone follows in perfect lockstep, and our server is purely the opposite of that.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Fyi, Nick's planning on opening a Second Wind subreddit, for whoever is interested.

As an aside, Stephanie Sterling is in their Discord, and seems open to the idea of collab'ing. Felt it worth mentioning, since that would be kind of a blast from the past.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Into Sanctuary, run by Arnox. Still around, I think.
It's around but vacant even by our standards. There's like 7 people that post there somewhat regularly. And yeah, it's like the Wild West forum if everybody was serious most of the time and like 90% of the fun was removed, and there were legit guides on how to commit suicide being posted by the administrator.
Do you think we could pull off a mass migration to Into Sanctuary? (Manifest destiny n'all...) If it's still around with so few users, I think we could take over with our active group and keep this camaraderie going. Do you have a link to it?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Do you think we could pull off a mass migration to Into Sanctuary? (Manifest destiny n'all...) If it's still around with so few users, I think we could take over with our active group and keep this camaraderie going. Do you have a link to it?
I dropped off a whole ago because I never formed a habit of visiting, but if there's more people, I may show up. Arnox is a very nice person.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I mean, we could, but I'm not really sure most people here would agree with the ideals that Arnox is trying to uphold with the site. It's very 'won't let anyone trample our free speech' in a kind of paranoid way. But I'm sure that Arnox would be happy to have us, though. Personally I'm hoping that Second Wind will have a forum and we can just go there. If we all go to Sanctuary that pretty much rules out ever getting new members, even here we've picked up a few new regulars since the site's resurgence.

Anyway, discussion of what forum to move to should probably be in the other thread. (Edit: fixed link)

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
But does it have to end here? Is there any place we could go? Like, I know there's a couple active forums left, but I don't think they'd be very welcoming to all of us. Could we maybe set up our own Reddit or Discord, or something? Neither ideal, but it'd be something. Stupid idea maybe, but, you know, if it works
I deleted my Reddit months ago (cause fuck Reddit and what they did with their API costs and how they handled the whole situation, the scummy chodes), so that's out on my end. I have too many Discord channels I ignore as well so that's a tough one to justify. I feel, personally, that unless it's a forum like this one then I'm probably going to disappear into the void... which is a shame, but The Escapist had a vibe that worked in an old school way I appreciated. I'm not sure if the currently listed alternatives by other users here excite me all that much.
If Second Wind builds a forum (which is sounds like they won't, but if), then you'll all see me again

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States

The Aftermath logo looks like it jumped straight out of WipEout HD and one of their teams
That's funnier when you remember that the Fury expansion actually had a circuit named Aftermath.
and the Second Wind logo has this weird blue hue covering it as if you were dragging a select box over it in Windows, so weird.
...Actually, reminds me of an old LCD with the blacks that really, really weren't.

Reactions: bluegate

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hi. :)