They fired the Escapist's editor, and the video team, Yahtzee resigns

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Sounds bad.

I admit i am mostly here for the forum ( originally joined because miracleofsound, who left long ago ) but when the side goes under, the forum will die as well.

Reactions: Zeraki and gorfias

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Here's the people who killed The Escapist, because they shouldn't be faceless corpos
Meh, I can't be bothered to remember their faces nor hold a grudge against them over The Escapist.

I've joined the Escaped the Escapist Discord, and I'll be waiting to see what comes next. I hope to see everyone there, ...
It'll probably be full of unfamiliar faces from The Escapist's Twitter, YouTube and Twitch communities which sort of makes me lose interest in it.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
To see what this site recovered from just to see it fall apart again is actually heartbreaking.

Been coming to the escapist off and on since 2009. The site and these forums were a big part of 20's.

Gamurs can rot as far as I'm concerned. I'll be keeping an eye out for what this crew does in the future.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Man. As miserable and ranty I am on here, I will greatly miss this place should it ever go under. I'm not at all worried about Yahtz and the others, I'm confident they'll all find something to occupy themselves with, as talented as they are. It's a fucking shame that we have to lose ZP, but I can imagine that Yahtzee is incredibly excited to do something new.

But yeah, the forums. It was never perfect, but it was still great to have a space shared with a small number of people with similar interests. Thanks for all the good times y'all, I'll miss discussing, and more often complaining about, nerd shit with you guys.

EDIT: In retrospect, I am actually kinda shocked that we've been able to use the forum for as long as we have. Surely all our posts contribute to some level of overhead.

EDIT EDIT: This news had me hopping back on twitter, and good lord has it gone to ruin. I'm not a big fan of discord, but with the way every other social media platform is going, I guess I might as well bite the bullet.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
EDIT: In retrospect, I am actually kinda shocked that we've been able to use the forum for as long as we have. Surely all our posts contribute to some level of overhead.
I don't know, just text can't be too much to maintain. And there has to be some benefit to the forums because they went through all the trouble of migrating 13 million posts from the V1 forums to V2 for "search engine optimization".

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Why does this seem familiar?
Because it happened to Destructoid and it happened to Siliconera, a slow but gradual erosion of the community due to shareholders believing any kind of solidarity is an affront to their agenda

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Damn....so this is how it all ends.

I've barely been active at all these past few years but I would still check out the forums every now and then. Really sucks to see it end like this after 15+ years. Also sucks that Yahtzee does not have the rights to zero punctuation.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Meh. The death of The Escapist was bound to happen sooner or later. I saw a thread about this on Reddit. I don't really come here as often as I used to. I originally joined in 2009, but I forgot my password and lost the e-mail that I used to register, so I came back as Adam Jensen in 2011. And I was pretty damn active. But this just isn't as fun as it used to be prior to v2.0. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. But I guess that this is the final nail in the coffin. Everyone knows that without Yahtzee, this place is dead.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
For completion sake, Jack Packard was let go as well, and Marty Sliva resigned. Don't know about KC Nwosu, but as a video editor I assume he got the sack too.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Last time that was tried it ended up being taken over by far right weirdos.
Weirdos? yes. Far right? No. It only feels far right if you're far left, and any evidence you have otherwise probably was a statement crafted to piss off people like you that label everything that doesn't agree with you as "far right"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So Second Wind will be the new site? Don't wanna go on twitter and discord is blocking me for some reason.

Anyway, another gif for no reason whatsoever.

the-simpsons-homer-the-vigilante-animated.gif

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Welp. I guess we can look forward to a bunch of new, original shows on Second Wind like Yahtzee's Ramblomatic Game Critique Animation, Darren Mooney's On The Celluloid and the review show180 Seconds Review.