They fired the Escapist's editor, and the video team, Yahtzee resigns

Glademaster

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Ireland
So sad to see Yahtzee go but fair play to him. This site was such a large part of life but I can't see it surviving after letting Nick go and everyone leaving. I was enjoying still coming back here and lurking but it is what it is. Unfortunately lost access to my old account but not that it matters now.

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They are notorious for taking over control of niche game and media sites and sucking them dry till you got bland content farm style posts. Think Siliconera and Destructoid then and now
Oh, that was them? Then never fucken mind then, screw those guys.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
Well, I wasn't expecting that.

Can't remember the last time I actually watched/read any escapist content, but it was nice to know it was there.
Yeah im much in the same boat, this is the first time i have logged in for like 5 years. It was nice to know that little bookmark was still there, a sorta constant in my life since i first joined, but after the first wave of the site 'winding down' with Bob and the Webcomics and all that leaving, it felt like the place was in limbo. Sure the Site was brought out, sure the forums were saved, but the internet the escapists thrived in faded away long ago. All we had left was borrowed time. Like a old battered ship saved from sinking but trapped on a ocean that was rapidly drying up, even then.

To drop the metaphore, yah it was kinda just sitting around waiting for this to happen. Especially with the reputations of the new owners, and the fact that its just logical they would turn sour to the site once its clear it could not turn them profits. I think especially without Zero Puncuation, we are seeing the begining of the end now.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
So sad to see Yahtzee go but fair play to him. This site was such a large part of life but I can't see it surviving after letting Nick go and everyone leaving. I was enjoying still coming back here and lurking but it is what it is. Unfortunately lost access to my old account but not that it matters now.
Same here. With any luck they’ll have new forums and be able to reinstate old/legacy accounts. Who am I kidding; they’ll all probably die with this site since it r belong to Gamurs.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Yahtzee was basically why the site even continued to exist back when the first exodus happened. I still remember the time when Jim Sterling, Movie Bob, Extra Credits among others. Then it was just Yahtzee.

Anyway seems like they started a new venture called The Second Wind with its own discord channel so I guess I'll lurk there.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Just my hot take -

I don't expect the forums are going anywhere, but that's kinda been part of the problem with theescapist going as far back as 2.0 . It's likely just gonna get ignored.

They completely cleansed the forums, but then, made no effort to promote it, then they redid the user content and comments section and obfuscated it so much so that no one bothers to engage with the site anymore. Nick seemed to believe that everything is going great, but idk I question how much site traffic the escapist was actually getting, especially if the owners were trying to do a big content push.

I do like some of the content that Escapist has been doing, but idk I did not find Mooneys diatribes on film/tv consistently interesting, entertaining or accessible. I liked all the 3 minute reviews, yahtzee and some random review content. I don't watch the game night or D&D stuff. It just didn't excite me to Check Escapist daily the way I did on 1.0, when you had a bunch of content creators doing "different" things. Yeah I know that turned into a big nightmare, I'm just talking about what brought me to the site.

I guess if I could put it in a nutshell, somehow I'm just not that surprised. I think the owners probably wanted to do LTT numbers and to do that I think they need more myriad content and more user engagement. If not the forums, then something else to boost more return traffic.

I kinda miss the web comics.
I don't disagree that the site traffic was probably doing poorly, but I do think the growth that Nick was chasing and seemed to be achieving had more to do with Escapist YouTube channel than anything else, with their memberships and whatnot. Who knows, guess we'll see all the dirty details when Nick takes advantage of not signing an NDA.

I too miss the webcomics, although I couldn't even tell you what they were and what they were about. Critical Miss was about a game critic right? Or was that even a webcomic...

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yahtzee was basically why the site even continued to exist back when the first exodus happened. I still remember the time when Jim Sterling, Movie Bob, Extra Credits among others. Then it was just Yahtzee.

Anyway seems like they started a new venture called The Second Wind with its own discord channel so I guess I'll lurk there.
Man am I disappointed in myself for sleeping on Unskippable when they had it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Man am I disappointed in myself for sleeping on Unskippable when they had it.
Good time as ever to dig through their archives. I'm just browsing them and the memories are coming back. I enjoyed Uncivil War. There was also a short lived MtG column called Hexproof.

I did watch
They're in read-only mode right now while they try to get essential stuff like moderation and channels set up. This was a spur-of-the-moment thing.
They did open up the general for chatting, but they have muted it again. We'll see what comes of it in the passing days.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Jesus Tittyfuckin.

That sucks. They had a solid run though, Yahtzee especially considering his decade+ tenure. Honestly I'm really surprised he's stuck around through this many mass exits - talking about us on the forums seeing the ebb and flow, but I think there were at least half again as many "everybody quit" events that we saw but didn't feel. Hopefully they can put that energy somewhere solid without getting fucked around by Gamr as they try to get started. I'm sure Yahtzee will have to stay far away from yellow backgrounds and black imps to avoid lawsuits, but maybe that's for the best.

Reactions: SmugFrog

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Weirdos? yes. Far right? No. It only feels far right if you're far left, and any evidence you have otherwise probably was a statement crafted to piss off people like you that label everything that doesn't agree with you as "far right"
I'm pretty sure anyone that calls themselves fascist is far right.

But of course, it's me exaggerating, not the fact that everyone in there holds beliefs that do not oppose or contradict a self-admitted fascist in any way shape or form, got to give him credit, at least he is self aware and honest enough to know what he is though, unlike some other people that are either too stupid to recognize what they are or too spineless to admit what they are.

Reactions: BrawlMan

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Oh hey people are remarking on the Discord server where I explicitly let the Forum Mods have access and specific roles to keep a semblance of order.
You're all welcome to join in on the Escape Pod, never said you weren't.
(link has a 30 days timer to keep bots from harvesting it. After that's done, DMing me always works if you want access)

Reactions: Signa

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
A mention in Penny Arcade:

No disrespect, but I do have to agree about the logo. It looks like something I'd have made in 1996 and that's really not a compliment.
It's almost like the logo and name were made over a brief period of time without being planned in advance.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I am actually surprised ad revenue is said to go down for gaming sites.

I would have assumed with twitter going under advertisers were flooding the other options.