BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A mention in Penny Arcade:

No disrespect, but I do have to agree about the logo. It looks like something I'd have made in 1996 and that's really not a compliment.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I find the take that somewhat petty coming from Penny Arcade. I know it's their schtick to do this stuff, but it's ironic because Penny Arcade partnered up with The Escapist back when it was version one. It was more than once for those that don't remember.

Reactions: Leg End

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What was the forum someone created a few years ago when The Escapist last shit the bed? A few people migrated there briefly before V 2.0, but all I remember was it being ye olde Wild West and a playground for Houseman, and backing out pretty quickly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
What was the forum someone created a few years ago when The Escapist last shit the bed? A few people migrated there briefly before V 2.0, but all I remember was it being ye olde Wild West and a playground for Houseman, and backing out pretty quickly.
Into Sanctuary, run by Arnox. Still around, I think.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Into Sanctuary, run by Arnox. Still around, I think.
It's around but vacant even by our standards. There's like 7 people that post there somewhat regularly. And yeah, it's like the Wild West forum if everybody was serious most of the time and like 90% of the fun was removed, and there were legit guides on how to commit suicide being posted by the administrator.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

No disrespect, but I do have to agree about the logo. It looks like something I'd have made in 1996 and that's really not a compliment.
So Penny Arcade isn't even trying to be funny anymore, huh? Or make the artwork not a strain on the eyes.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

For people wondering what the logos look like;
1699456436402.png

1699456590707.png 1699456631662.png

The Aftermath logo looks like it jumped straight out of WipEout HD and one of their teams and the Second Wind logo has this weird blue hue covering it as if you were dragging a select box over it in Windows, so weird. I can get behind the bird as the S and the wings reaching around the text, but the colors...

Oh hey people are remarking on the Discord server where I explicitly let the Forum Mods have access and specific roles to keep a semblance of order.
You're all welcome to join in on the Escape Pod, never said you weren't.
(link has a 30 days timer to keep bots from harvesting it. After that's done, DMing me always works if you want access)
Hey, I remember this existing....

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I find the take that somewhat petty coming from Penny Arcade. I know it's their schtick to do this stuff, but it's ironic because Penny Arcade partnered up with The Escapist back when it was version one. It was more than once for those that don't remember.
I think they're being snippy, but my honest read is that they're talking about where the people went instead of where they came from which is about the biggest kindness they can do for a pair of groups that have yet to show what they're about.

One of the things that legitimately concerned me about the move to a new site is the lack of visibility. Twitter isn't what it used to be, but even if it was the group doesn't have a huge social media engagement, to the point that I would expect Yahtzees old YouTube channel getting an update would turn more heads than a post to his anemic twitter. A huge gaming outlet said "guess what happened" and mocked the names and logos, but they didn't talk shit on the people. Even if it's a neutral statement rather than an endorsement, a feature on PAs webcomic is way more visibility than a bunch of small twitter accounts posting.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
View attachment 10041

View attachment 10042 View attachment 10043

The Aftermath logo looks like it jumped straight out of WipEout HD and one of their teams and the Second Wind logo has this weird blue hue covering it as if you were dragging a select box over it in Windows, so weird. I can get behind the bird as the S and the wings reaching around the text, but the colors...

Second Wind is okay, not bad but the afmftermath one actually hurts my eyes to focus on for some reason.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I do hope with Facebook being Facebook and Twitter getting worse and worse we can return to the days before everything was migrated over to social media sites and independent websites could actually survive on their own. Remember when college humour and cracked were things that existed? Downside is I'm broke. I pay for dropouts but can't afford to financially support everyone who decides to go the subscription route.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So Penny Arcade isn't even trying to be funny anymore, huh? Or make the artwork not a strain on the eyes.
Don't you get it? He took a shot at the names choices as something one would get from thesaurus, and then he used an obscure adjective himself! Hypocrisy is funny! /s

Second Wind is okay, not bad but the afmftermath one actually hurts my eyes to focus on for some reason.
They definitely tried to imitate the Kotaku logo's font, but came up with something worse.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
View attachment 10041

View attachment 10042 View attachment 10043

I like the Second Wind one (but am also guilty of liking tribal tattoos), and I do read it as Second Wind, but only because I already know that's what it's called. Otherwise I don't think I'd quite read the bird (assume phoenix) as an S.

The font on Aftermath is hard to read for me: Afterrnatk. Reminds me of UFO: Enemy Unknown for some reason.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I like the Second Wind one (but am also guilty of liking tribal tattoos), and I do read it as Second Wind, but only because I already know that's what it's called. Otherwise I don't think I'd quite read the bird (assume phoenix) as an S.

The font on Aftermath is hard to read for me: Afterrnatk. Reminds me of UFO: Enemy Unknown for some reason.
I don't think the second wind logo is bad per say, but I definitely did not see the bird as a phoenix.

1699458298230.png

Reminds me too much of that old rooster between the tail and the head puff.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
We all just learned the house is burning down, and the knee-jerk reaction is to complain about the wallpaper in the ostensible new house we might be moving into. That's funny to me.
Not sure the "house is burning down" analogy fits here. It's more of a playhouse that already burned down the moment all those people were fired / resigned, and we are just seated among the embers and cinders.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Yeah, that was it. If this forum goes ten toes up, I wish we could fall back on something like that... that's NOT that.
Maybe set up one or more communities on something like Lemmy or KBin (think decentralized Reddit-alike)?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
In case anyones interested Nick and Yahtzee are livestreaming abou the new site on twitch (and youtube) right now

Yeah im much in the same boat, this is the first time i have logged in for like 5 years. It was nice to know that little bookmark was still there, a sorta constant in my life since i first joined, but after the first wave of the site 'winding down' with Bob and the Webcomics and all that leaving, it felt like the place was in limbo. Sure the Site was brought out, sure the forums were saved, but the internet the escapists thrived in faded away long ago. All we had left was borrowed time. Like a old battered ship saved from sinking but trapped on a ocean that was rapidly drying up, even then.

To drop the metaphore, yah it was kinda just sitting around waiting for this to happen. Especially with the reputations of the new owners, and the fact that its just logical they would turn sour to the site once its clear it could not turn them profits. I think especially without Zero Puncuation, we are seeing the begining of the end now.
I'm pretty much here out of habit and the forum. This has been my first and only home on the internet, gaming content hasn't really been of much interest to me for a while, unless there was a wholesale community move to a similarly formatted forum I'll probably just head back to dry land and stay there.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In case anyones interested Nick and Yahtzee are livestreaming abou the new site on twitch (and youtube) right now

I'm pretty much here out of habit and the forum. This has been my first and only home on the internet, gaming content hasn't really been of much interest to me for a while, unless there was a wholesale community move to a similarly formatted forum I'll probably just head back to dry land and stay there.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich