Thief 4 Gives Deus Ex the Boot at Eidos Montreal

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Thief 4 Gives Deus Ex the Boot at Eidos Montreal

With work on Deus Ex: Human Revolution winding down and work on Thief 4 kicking into full swing, Eidos Montreal's floor space is making a major transition.

Many large videogame studios have multiple projects going on at any given moment, but - as with any office - space is usually a premium. Naturally, you want all your designers and producers in one spot to make communication easier, and they need to be able to zip on over to the artists and programmers when they need something.

According to Deus Ex: Human Revolution art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletete, the Thief 4 team has usurped the Deus Ex team's primary floor space at Eidos Montreal. "We've ramped down, and they've ramped up," Jacques-Belletete told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-27-thief-4-development-supersedes-deus-ex]. "The main production floor is occupied by them now. We're occupying a lesser space."

The transition felt a bit odd, said the Deus Ex director. "For the past four years all the directors on Deus Ex were sitting in the same area, with tons of concept art and design papers all pinned up on the walls ... the day we went to take them down all the directors of Thief were sitting in our places. It was a weird day." Of course they were sitting there, Jonathan. They're making a thievery game - they're bound to be sneaky.

While Jacques-Belletete was adamant that he couldn't reveal any details about the game - and that the Thief 4 team was entirely separate from the Deus Ex crew - he promised that the franchise was "in really good hands ... It's a really kickass team [on Thief 4]," he assured gamers, "some great people."

"I cannot say anything about the game apart from that it'll rock your shorts."

Eidos Montreal had previously confirmed Thief 4's existence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91613-Thief-4-Its-Official], but the game still has yet to be formally revealed. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is out this August.

(Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-27-thief-4-development-supersedes-deus-ex])

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Based on how good Deus Ex is looking, this just reminds me of how close it is to coming out.

Hopefully Thief 4 gets the same love that Deus Ex did. I haven't played any games in the series before but I've heard many good things about it.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I think I speak for everyone about Deus Ex when I say... please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck pleasedon'tsuck.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
What's Thief 4? The only game I know of that sounds like that is Thi-Four-FFFF. Thief 4 does sound like a much better title for a game but hey I'M not in the industry so maybe I don't know.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I think I speak for everyone about Deus Ex when I say... please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck pleasedon'tsuck.
yes, you speak for me, that's for sure.

I'll add:
Dear Eidos Montreal,
Please don't mess up these games that were incredible PC franchises and completely ruin our nostalgia!
Thanks.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Okay.. fuck Human Revolution, there's going to be a Thief 4?

Excuse me while I go jump around making squeaking noises.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, good to hear Deus Ex is getting completed. Hopefully they didn't rush anything and the game will be awesome as some sort of delicious sauce.

Jim Stacey

Mar 31, 2011
Deus Ex and Thief being revived has resulted in extreme excitement. I'm having a fanboy moment, folks! Even I'm surprised...

Deus mortuus est

Apr 26, 2011
evilthecat said:
Okay.. fuck Human Revolution, there's going to be a Thief 4?

Excuse me while I go jump around making squeaking noises.
^
This, very much this.

Now let's just hope that they go and do another Dark Project/Metal Age and don't mess it up like they did with Deadly Shadows. DS was a decent game, I admit, but the first two are some of my favorite games ever...

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Deus mortuus est said:
Now let's just hope that they go and do another Dark Project/Metal Age and don't mess it up like they did with Deadly Shadows. DS was a decent game, I admit, but the first two are some of my favorite games ever...
I'm hearing that.

Sadly, there's a big problem and its called 'current generation graphics'. Making big, sprawling, non-linear levels without breaking them up will probably end up being too processor-buggering

Still Eidos, if you manage to solve that problem I could probably be coerced into offering sexual favours in return.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
My shorts will remain purposefully aloof and detached from Eidos' attempt to rock them until I've seen how they've done with Deus Ex 3. I'd like to be hopeful but I live rather firmly in the "announce the game when you have something to actually say about it" camp.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Feels like it has been a lot longer since Thief 4 was revealed in that empty teaser site. Good to hear their team is going to be increasing their resources. I want it so much.

Deus mortuus est

Apr 26, 2011
evilthecat said:
Deus mortuus est said:
I'm hearing that.

Sadly, there's a big problem and its called 'current generation graphics'. Making big, sprawling, non-linear levels without breaking them up will probably end up being too processor-buggering

Still Eidos, if you manage to solve that problem I could probably be coerced into offering sexual favours in return.
If Beteshda can do it in Skyrim, I do hope that Eidos can do the same to Thief. And yes, I do realize that buildings take more to generate than the same patch of land over and over again, but I'm willing to buy a new computer and have last year's graphics just to get my sprawling back :p

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Please let this mean we're going to get Thief 4 info. Please, Eidos, please. *begs* I'm dying for information here!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Didn't they name it THI4F instead of THIEF 4?

Yeah, not getting my hopes up...