Thief 4 Gives Deus Ex the Boot at Eidos Montreal

ReSpawn

Feb 24, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
At least they managed to make highlighting optional before moving out. I still don't understand why the called it Deus ex when that makes no sense in latin.

Deo ex mite b cool
It's incomplete. Deus Ex Machina is less snappy, so they presumably shortened it.

The title refers to a key theme in the game, and is important in the plot.

Also, naming your heavily story driven RPG after something traditionally indicative of poor writing is probably a bad idea.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Squuueeeeee. Deus Ex and Thief are two of my most favourite franchises of all time and i'm a total unapologetic fanboy of both. I love you, Eidos.

LastGreatBlasphemer said:
*Explodes* Fuck yeah! Sorry Deus Ex, but it's still nice to hear some good news this week.
soulfire130 said:
Uuummm... Theif 4? Sorry to seem out of touch with the Thief series but when was Theif 2 or 3? A little help please. ("O_O)
Thief, Thief 2, and Thief: Deadly Shadows.
Deadly Shadows was great and I still shit my pants at the Shalebridge Cradle.
I think i shit my pants whenever there was a zombie in the area, period. Remember what they sounded like? Like a god damn baby being choked. EEEUUURURURUAARRRHGHGH. And it was always super loud so it felt like the bastards were right next to you too. Oh yeah, and the hag is RIGHTBEHINDYOUOMG.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Is it August yet?
Is it August yet?
Is it August yet?
Is it August yet?
Is it August yet?
Is it August yet?
Is it August yet?
Is it August yet?
Is it August yet?

Deus mortuus est

Apr 26, 2011
FredTheUndead said:
Deus mortuus est said:
evilthecat said:
Deus mortuus est said:
Now let's just hope that they go and do another Dark Project/Metal Age and don't mess it up like they did with Deadly Shadows. DS was a decent game, I admit, but the first two are some of my favorite games ever...
I'm hearing that.

Sadly, there's a big problem and its called 'current generation graphics'. Making big, sprawling, non-linear levels without breaking them up will probably end up being too processor-buggering

Still Eidos, if you manage to solve that problem I could probably be coerced into offering sexual favours in return.
If Beteshda can do it in Skyrim, I do hope that Eidos can do the same to Thief. And yes, I do realize that buildings take more to generate than the same patch of land over and over again, but I'm willing to buy a new computer and have last year's graphics just to get my sprawling back :p
But Bethesda most likely are not going to do it in Skyrim, as Bethesda programmers are incompetent chimps.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams :(

If Beteshda aren't going to make Skyrim as free-roaming as the previous TES-titles then I'll be a very sad puppy indeed. Free-roaming is the bestest! Ah, I'll continue dreaming of a Skyrim and Thief that allows me to run wherever I want.

Mumonk

Mar 14, 2010
THIEF 4!!! ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!! Thief games are my most favorite series ever, before yahtzee made it kewl =P

Splinter Cell helped curve my appetite for stealth games, but nothing beats the Thief games. At least part 1 and 2, 3 was ok.

I just hope Stephen Russell still does the voice. I would like to hear him do books on tape =P

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
Sennz0r said:
I understand that people seem to dislike Thief: Deadly Shadows, or at least seem to be having a strong preference for its predecessors. Could anyone explain to me why that is exactly?
I'm not saying DS was actually better but seeing as I tried to play Dark Project and Metal Age but for some reason they wouldn't run on my PC (enemies would be invisible, colours would be messed up etc.) I couldn't find that one out for myself.
Well, your second bit there, apparently the games don't work on new machines. Something about a conflict with the dual processor. I don't know the whole story as I still have an old machine, so I haven't bothered to try and put the older Thief games on my laptop.

Anyway, I said earlier that I was disappointed with Thief 3, but I won't say I specifically hate it, or even don't like it. I just prefer the originals. Here's why.

First of all, pretty much any time a story uses time travel, it looses a some credibility to me. This is an incredibly over-used plot device and I just plain don't like it. That said, not a game-breaker, just kind of an eye-roller for me.
Second, a lot of little details just got to me. Like seeing wanted posters with Garret's face on them. Sorry, I don't buy that. Garret always struck me as the kind of guy who stayed out of the public eye. There were a lot of little moments like that which just didn't feel in tune with the feel of the Thief world to me.
Finally, I didn't get where it was going thematically. The first game was about the forces of Nature trying to pull the world back into the way things were and ended with a note suggesting that a "Metal Age" was coming. The second game was about the forces of technology trying to destroy the forces of nature to make the world perfect and it ended on a note that there were prophecies of something big coming. The third thief game was about . . . what? A boogeyman using magical artifacts to screw things up. Sorry, I don't see any thematic significance to the plot.
That said, I think TDS is a good game. I like the open city exploration the story is compelling and the ending of the game brought things full circle in a way that I really appreciated. It's good, I just think the originals were better.
I'm a bit worried about Thief 4, though, because I don't see where the series should go at this point. It seems like a shameless and totally needless sequel that won't add anything meaningful to the series, especially considering how well Thief 3 closed the circle. I mean, I don't think it will be outright bad, especially if they've got a good team working on it, but I don't see that it will even be as good as Thief 3.
Could be wrong though. I'll wait and see.
Thank you for that, very enlightening. The story was indeed a little vague on the crux of the matter. To me it just seemed like they were unravelling a prophecy, one which they didn't quite understood themselves in the first place. I agree it was all a bit vague.

Now, the time travel bit you mentioned: Did you mean The part within the Cradle where you had to return to the past? Because I liked that. It was my favourite mission of the entire game. I understand it's a weird thing to come across in a game where nothing of the sort is going on, but considering the circumstances it was a pretty nice story twist. I mean time travel may be out of place in the rest of the Thief World, but seeing as we were also in a house that could prevent you from leaving it didn't seem that far fetched to me.

Also I agree with the wanted posters bit: The way I played the game I made sure no one was ever able to see me, and if they did then I wouldn't leave them in a state for a sketch artist to draw up a reliable face.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Sennz0r said:
Like I said, it's a personal thing. Time travel is a lazy writing crutch and I just don't like it when writers use it unless the concept is central to the story itself, like it was in Michael Crichton's "Timeline". The only exception I've come across so far was Babylon 5, for a lot of reasons I wont' go into right now, but even then, it still kind of struck me as a bit lazy. I mean, I just don't like when writers fall back on that.
But, admittedly it was a smaller part of the game and it wasn't done badly, so it doesn't ruin the experience. Like I said, it was still a good game, I just found the others much better done overall.
Well, maybe I shouldn't say "much" but they were definitely better.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
And there was much rejoicing.

Can't wait to hear Garrett's sexy voice again.
I do believe the voice actor is being used for the main character of the new Bioshock Infinity. Go check out the trailer and see if you agree it is Garrett's voice. ^-^ I'm glad the guy is getting work. I like the his voice, too and Garrett's scripts tend to be quirky and enjoyable.