Thief 4 Promo Video Sneaks Out

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Odjin said:
Vault101 said:
Odjin said:
I can't agree with the OP. Seeing on what they did to Deus-Ex with DX:HR (urks) I'm not so looking forward to what they might do to the Thief series. They broke my Deus-Ex heart already... please don't break now also my Thief heart #.#
what was so horrible about Human Revolution?
A lot of things I'm not going to lay out in detail here as I wrote already a 3 or 4 pages long in depth review about the problems (and good things which is the difference between DX:HR and the bottomless crap-shit Bethesda tossed out recently). In general it lacks a lot of what made Deus-Ex Deus-Ex. The story is not even remotely interesting. Multi-path is non-existent. You get a lethal/non-lethal path but essentially they are just the same only with the name "kills" replaced by "stuns" on weapons without any real effect. Aug system is also lackluster as there is no choice involved (you get anything important 1/4 into the game) and no blocking. It's limitations and choice that allows character development and that make Deus-Ex interesting. Not to mention the stupid take-down and cover-system crap. In Deus-Ex taking down somebody means working for it and it can actually fail. In DX:HR it's one-button-never-fail. Adam is cut-board flat without any variance while JC has been a round character. The boss fights I don't lay out. They know they fucked it up and will change it in the future (another difference to Crap-thesda... they don't even notice how much they fucked it up).

Eventually I played Deus-Ex through over 8 times each time differently and it never had been the same. DX:HR I player 1 time through and on the second I got so bored I deinstalled it half-way through because there is just no variation and anything else than their "the-one build" plays like somebody shoved a stick up your rear. It's their first try at Deus-Ex though so chances are they learn from the mistakes and rip out all the crap for DX4 getting back to the glorious Deus-Ex game mechanics which changed the game world like next to no other game did.
thats all good and well...but if the new theif was at the same leve of Deus Ex:HR then it wouldn't be a bad thing

because Deus Ex:HR was by no means a bad game

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
Vault101 said:
thats all good and well...but if the new theif was at the same leve of Deus Ex:HR then it wouldn't be a bad thing

I just hope they don't turn it into a stupid shooter or something.
I'm not familiar with the Theif universe but that would be WAAAAAY too much of a stretch with crosbows/bows or even old timey guns

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
The4f may be a terrible title, but it's not as bad as F.3.A.R. At least Thief isnt an acronym.
First Encounter Assault Recon is already a shit acronym, what with Assault and Recon being opposites, but First Three Assault Recon is just absurd.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Vault101 said:
Odjin said:
Vault101 said:
Odjin said:
I can't agree with the OP. Seeing on what they did to Deus-Ex with DX:HR (urks) I'm not so looking forward to what they might do to the Thief series. They broke my Deus-Ex heart already... please don't break now also my Thief heart #.#
what was so horrible about Human Revolution?
A lot of things I'm not going to lay out in detail here as I wrote already a 3 or 4 pages long in depth review about the problems (and good things which is the difference between DX:HR and the bottomless crap-shit Bethesda tossed out recently). In general it lacks a lot of what made Deus-Ex Deus-Ex. The story is not even remotely interesting. Multi-path is non-existent. You get a lethal/non-lethal path but essentially they are just the same only with the name "kills" replaced by "stuns" on weapons without any real effect. Aug system is also lackluster as there is no choice involved (you get anything important 1/4 into the game) and no blocking. It's limitations and choice that allows character development and that make Deus-Ex interesting. Not to mention the stupid take-down and cover-system crap. In Deus-Ex taking down somebody means working for it and it can actually fail. In DX:HR it's one-button-never-fail. Adam is cut-board flat without any variance while JC has been a round character. The boss fights I don't lay out. They know they fucked it up and will change it in the future (another difference to Crap-thesda... they don't even notice how much they fucked it up).

Eventually I played Deus-Ex through over 8 times each time differently and it never had been the same. DX:HR I player 1 time through and on the second I got so bored I deinstalled it half-way through because there is just no variation and anything else than their "the-one build" plays like somebody shoved a stick up your rear. It's their first try at Deus-Ex though so chances are they learn from the mistakes and rip out all the crap for DX4 getting back to the glorious Deus-Ex game mechanics which changed the game world like next to no other game did.

It's not a bad game but falls way short compared to DX1. I most certainly can't recommend it to anybody in the shape it currently is... especially without proper modding support to fix all the flaws.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Odjin said:
It's not a bad game but falls way short compared to DX1. I most certainly can't recommend it to anybody in the shape it currently is... especially without proper modding support to fix all the flaws.
oh please...no one was ever going to be satisfied comapred to DX1

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Vault101 said:
Odjin said:
oh please...no one was ever going to be satisfied comapred to DX1
Which by itself is the problem. If AAAs keep tossing out mediocre or even bad stuff it's no wonder you can't be satisfied. The problem here lies with the game developers not the players.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Odjin said:
Which by itself is the problem. If AAAs keep tossing out mediocre or even bad stuff it's no wonder you can't be satisfied. The problem here lies with the game developers not the players.
but your mostly in the minority there since most people don;t think is mediocre or bad...compared to alot of AAA games it certainly isnt

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Vault101 said:
Odjin said:
but your mostly in the minority there since most people don;t think is mediocre or bad...compared to alot of AAA games it certainly isnt
I don't know what selective group you look at but what I see on the net and amongst DX fans is an entirely different picture. Granted it's not crap as certain AAA titles slammed into the face of people nowadays but it certainly isn't worthy of Deus-Ex in the title. DX4 maybe but not DX3.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
trty00 said:
Well, I hope Thifourf makes it through. I want to see what Yahtzee's been talking about all this time.
You should play the first games, if you want to know what he's talking about.

OT: I am really excited about this. I just hope it doesn't suck. Please, oh, please don't suck. Thief is one of my favorite franchises of all time, and I want it to be good so bad.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Seeing as it's been in development for this long, I kind of hope they kill it off. Start from scratch immediately thereafter, certainly, but I really wouldn't be surprised if keeping every asset they've already made ended up making the game worse.

Also, a little part of me wants it to be a PC exclusive. This isn't because I am among or a sympathizer of the PC Gaming Master Race (my laptop can't properly play Thief fucking 1).

It's because I can't think of another series that would lose so much in being dumbed down.

And bear in mind that I thoroughly enjoyed Thief 3.

I just can't see it being Thief if it was simplified any more than that, and if it were released multiplatform, it would probably be.

Necros_21

Sep 18, 2007
Triality said:
I'm glad they got over their 2D morph-animation style. It was dated when the last game came out. I think we can thank Square-Enix for once for being cut-scene happy.
Unlike you I hope they'll go back to the cutscenes used in Thief 1 & 2, and to the mission briefings we saw there. I'm not against in-game cutscenes every now and then though.

Also, I really liked this video, but I want the game's intro to be like the old ones, which was kind of unique. In higher resolution of course, but don't change the art style. This CGI stuff is great for a trailer, but it should only be that.

Oh, and since this confirms that Garrett is back, I hope they brought Stephen Russell back too!