Thief 4 Storyboards Leak

Mar 26, 2008
sgtshock said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Is it just me or does it appear that the thief is not Garrett? There appears to be no mechanical eye on the person in question.
I noticed this too. The painted fingernails and slight build of the character make me wonder if this is actually
the girl from the end of Thief 3.
I totally agree with your theory my friend.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
GZGoten said:
isn't Thief a FPS (first person stealth)? Does it work well?
I've never played a Thief game should I get Thief Gold, I'm a huge fan of stealth games but not so much of FPP (first person perspective)
Huge fan of stealth games and yet you haven't played Thief.

What are you still doing here?

Desaari

Feb 24, 2009
Master Taffer said:
And Fallout 3, for that matter...
Ah, yes, but Thief 4 is being developed by Eidos Montreal; the same studio that developed Deus Ex 3.
Also, while I can't comment on DE3 yet in this regard, many people felt that Fallout 3 was not a faithful sequel to its precursors.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I suppose I'll have to start brushing up on my skills. It's been a while since I've done some Expert runs on Thief 1 - 3.

Judging from the story boards, I wonder if this will follow an older Garret.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Desaari said:
Master Taffer said:
Ah, yes, but Thief 4 is being developed by Eidos Montreal; the same studio that developed Deus Ex 3.
Also, while I can't comment on DE3 yet in this regard, many people felt that Fallout 3 was not a faithful sequel to its precursors.
but because of fallout 3, fallout NV was made which is at least considered "kind of" more faithful

you know except for the purists..but no one really cares what they think

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
ActionDan said:
I just wish that Eidos could make another Legacy of Kain game...that is an awesome series.
Pretty much this. Though they would have to get whats her face back for the story. I think she is doing the Uncharted story now.

Master Taffer

Aug 4, 2010
sgtshock said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Is it just me or does it appear that the thief is not Garrett? There appears to be no mechanical eye on the person in question.
I noticed this too. The painted fingernails and slight build of the character make me wonder if this is actually
the girl from the end of Thief 3.
-The fingernails aren't painted. They're dirty. Black fingernails was not uncommon in a time when people thought frequent bathing led to disease. There's an entire conversation between two watch officers in Thief 3 that spans the entire game about the dangers of frequent baths.

-Garrett's never been a buff guy. He's always been tall and a bit lanky. He's a thief, not a soldier. Besides, if that's a girl then she has some seriously broad shoulders, especially when compared to the woman they showed in the first storyboard.

-Take a closer look at the close up on the third storyboard and you'll see what looks like a long vertical scar under the character's right eye.

-It's a freaking storyboard. The whole point is for them to remain loose and without too much detail so the artists can go into greater detail later.

Desaari said:
Master Taffer said:
It was an example of an old franchise being handled by a new studio to critical and commercial success. I'm well aware of who's making Thief 4, I've been perched and watching their studio for anything related to the game.

And that "many people" who felt Fallout 3 wasn't a faithful sequel were a vocal minority. They are present in every sequel or reboot release. A group of particularly loud fans who over-estimate their own importance and bemoan the slightest change to their favorite franchise. They represent a small fraction of the customer base for a franchise and in the grand scheme of things matter very little.

jez29

Nov 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
jez29 said:
That ancestral tomb level early in Thief 1 is just insanely mazey, even without all the zombies its a nightmare to navigate.
That's the Bonehoard - the level is called Down the Bonehoard, I believe - and it's actually one of my favourites. I'm the rare Thief fan who actually likes the zombies and dungeon stuff. Bonehoard and Lost City are my two faves from the original game.

To me, that's what Thief is all about. Huge, sprawling levels with multiple paths of attack. Thief 3 levels were way too small and too linear. Partly because of the technical limitations of the original Xbox, but also, I think, because some brainiac decided that "real" Thief levels wouldn't have mass market appeal. But the simplified Thief levels didn't do a damn bit of good either. Thief fans were put off and non-fans didn't care.

(Trivial note: The Horn of Quintus is my email alert sound and ringtone.)
Down in the Bonehoard, that's the one. The levels were disappointingly small in Thief 3 and I can see the appeal in really mastering the geography of a level like the Bonehoard, but I think I'm too used to more recent level design and graphics to properly get to grips with the bigger levels of the first two Thief games. I thought the Bonehoard was satisfyingly big and complex, but it lacked any landmarks to orient yourself with, whereas a level like 'Assassins' just after it had a big mansion on multiple levels that was easier to understand because it had some organisation to it. My problem with the Bonehoard might have been down to art design, with too little differentiation between areas, than the level design itself. Deadly Shadows levels are too small, but I think the art design actually improves on that established in the first games. If Thief 4 could mix those visuals with the much more expansive levels of The Dark Project and the Metal Age, then Eidos would be on to a winner.

And the Horn of Quintus email alert and ringtone is pretty fantastic. I can't match that level of Thief fandom so you probably win the argument by default!

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I still don't have my hopes too high. Well, if it does not contain zombies and does not have small ares with long loading times like T3 I will be interested in picking it up.

Also I want another Shalebridge Cradle-like level. And that the original voice actor returns.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
6unn3r said:
Zhukov said:
Now if only they'd just change the bloody name. Whoever came up with "Thi4f" needs a slap across the face, as does anyone who was in the room when it was suggested and somehow failed to administer said slap.
I too am confused and slightly annoyed at the need to put Thi4f, for two reasons, one, every 1337 speaker knows that E is 3 not 4, and two, why not just give it a name? Numbers just seem lazy.
I never played the Thief series, so I look forward to this new THIAF game.