Thief's Possible Saving Grace!

2HF

May 24, 2011
A thought just occured to me! One that might make the new Thief worth looking into! Drumroll please.... MODS!!!

I happen to know that the Thief modding community is still alive and well to this day, how long before they mod the everloving shit out of the new one? Recreating old levels and missions, adding in the original voice files, bringing the old Garrett back to life. These things should be high on the list of priorities, and all in glorious HD!

Does anyone here mod? Any plans for modding Thief? How much would it cost to kidnap Stephen Russell and force him to rerecord every line in the new Thief and replace the audio files?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Not worth the bother to fix that mess. None of the old factions, a different garret and as some friends reported, a completely braindead AI and the new thief's ability to crush every encounter like a tank.

Just play the old games: the original, the sequel and even #3 isn't all bad.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Wait a minute, Thief needs saving?, as in saving just for one platform since we're in the discussion about modding that which some don't like?.

Not trying to be rude or anything but I'm not exactly despairing on what this new Thief has to show us, yes mods would be nice since some people only exist to make mods (too bad not more gaming and little modding but whatevs) but if not then it's not the end of the world as we know it, that is unless total faith in said studio has all but gone then you really shouldn't buy said game in the hopes of fixing it to personal specifications.

And besides the console users won't have the "saved" version of Thief if you put it like that.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
I cant play this reboot anymore. Finished 3 chapters and cant stomach any more of this mess. It plays like Assassins Creed light instead of Thief. The story is a terrible so is gameplay with loading 30 seconds of loading for every 90 seconds of gameplay.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
asdfen how are you playing it its not supposed ot be out.

Ill wait for review but so far the game looks like it might just be a more polished thief experience.

Silvver

Aug 21, 2009
veloper said:
Not worth the bother to fix that mess. None of the old factions, a different garret and as some friends reported, a completely braindead AI and the new thief's ability to crush every encounter like a tank.

Just play the old games: the original, the sequel and even #3 isn't all bad.
There is a Classic settings feature that allows you to up the difficulty and switch of pretty much everything. Crutches like waypoint, navigation, interaction prompts to name a few. That should make it much more interesting.

EDIT: I also like the 'Iron Man' option which will never touch =P, if you get killed its permanent..if you get seen you die.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_%28video_game%29

*looks at release date*
*looks at thread*
*looks at release date again*
what?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Angelblaze said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_%28video_game%29

*looks at release date*
*looks at thread*
*looks at release date again*
what?
Apparently a leaked version of the Thief reboot hit the internet last week. All the people who have already dismissed the game thus felt obliged to download this leaked version so that they could say they've played the game and can then rightfully dismiss it as bad. Never mind that leaked pre-release copies tend to be unfinished, shoddy, beta builds.

Personally, I will wait and see. It is the same studio that made Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so I am cautiously optimistic that they can reboot Thief for the modern day.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
A great modding community doesn't always carry over to new games, it takes first party support. See Civ IV vs Civ V.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
Gethsemani, the game on Steam already has three legitimate reviews (although two aren't very detailed, to put it mildly). Obviously, for some people it unlocked slightly earlier than for others. Maybe some kind of pre-order bonus.
Also Total Biscuit did a WTF:.. on it, and I'm very sure it wasn't leaked version either.

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
Well it sounds like I finally lucked out (in not pre-ordering this). Decided after pre-ordering x-rebirth and buying Aliens Colonial marines (under the logic, of it can't be *that* bad) I have had enough of buying games on faith :p

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
To be honest, TB's WTF is was pretty convincing to buy this game. I never played the old Thief games anyway so I have no reason to go Full Salty Radge Mode on it at the slightest change.

Then again this is coming from someone who liked the DMC reboot *and* thought DMC3 was boring as hell with crap gameplay (discover jump invincibility, win game) with the cool Vergil/Dante relationship carrying the whole game on its back solo so i'm on a roll ignoring old fanbases whining endlessly.

Yes and mods are really cool, I hope they have the Steam workshop active and stuff cuz after downloading some L4D2 mods I will admit they enrich the game experience significantly. Shrek Tanks, Lucky Star Survivors, Witches looping Annie's laugh from AoT, Specials voices are replaced by BlazBlue characters, Tank music replaced with PS&G's D Rock City and so on.

That last one is a particular favourite by the way.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
IrenIvy said:
Also Total Biscuit did a WTF:.. on it, and I'm very sure it wasn't leaked version either.
Well, no, because he gets review copies.
The Wykydtron said:
To be honest, TB's WTF is was pretty convincing to buy this game. I never played the old Thief games anyway so I have no reason to go Full Salty Radge Mode on it at the slightest change.
Same here. I wasn't terribly interested in it before and don't know when I'll ever get around to picking it up, but the video pushed me over into the "I'll check it out" bracket.

Then again this is coming from someone who liked the DMC reboot *and* thought DMC3 was boring as hell with crap gameplay (discover jump invincibility, win game) with the cool Vergil/Dante relationship carrying the whole game on its back solo so i'm on a roll ignoring old fanbases whining endlessly.
Hell, I'm someone who likes DMC3 and DmC.

The "hate boner", as TB put it, that people get for reboots often perplexes me. People are very quick to latch onto anything that can confirm their biases.

I mean, hell, I don't like the look of Sonic Boom at all, but I'm still going to give it a chance to surprise me.

As for OT, second paragraph pretty much says it all. I've never played much Thief, but I'm actually interested in this new one now so I don't see why it needs a "saving grace". Because it won't appeal to the tiny amount of really hardcore Thief fans still clinging to the hope of getting another one that matches up to the first two?

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
I never needed mods to love original 'Thief' (all of them), so I don't see why people (not publisher) should bear the burden of enriching the game if the developers/publishers didn't do sufficient work to make the game enticing at the first place (from my perspective, of course).

TB's WTF on this game actually fortified my decision not to buy it until it is on 75% sale or something.
I also liked both DmC and Tomb Raider reboots a lot but this Thief just looks like Deus Ex: HR + Tomb Raider hybrid with badly-written, badly voiced Garret knockoff, not a 'Thief' game (from my perspective). Although I greatly welcome the absence of experience for headshots, the absence of free jumping and takedowns kill this goodwill entirely.

Dishonored or original 'Thieves' are my game plan for nearest future.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Thief has one of the most technically proficient and talented modding communities in gaming, but I'm not sure even they can crack this game open and mod it (outside of .ini/cfg stuff). There are no modding tools and it looks like the levels are tightly scripted and broken into "invisible" loading zones that are masked with animations, in addition to the visible ones.

All that makes for one hell of a challenge when it comes to modding. That said, the Mirror's Edge community was able to figure out a way to make it happen, so I guess it's possible.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
I couldn't give a crap about the previous games, archaic wank that won't run on my PC anyway.
GOG version runs under Windows 7 x64 well (didn't check Win8), and I played 'Thief' under XP initially.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
it's an alright game. not a great game though mind you, and most certainly not thief. not with it's focus crutches (yes you can turn em off, i know), pipe-levels instead of open free areas, non-rewarding loot system and dumped down complexity. so if you are expecting a worthy successor, then don't.
if you just want a neat little 7/10 action adventure with some stealth elements, i suppose you could do worse. but fans of the series are rightfully pissed.

boy oh boy i can't wait for yahtzee to go clownfuck crazy on this one.