Things about skyrim that worry you?

PinochetIsMyBro

Aug 21, 2010
"The Elder Scrolls 5 ? Skyrim: Bethesda follows Bioware?s lead in RPG romance"
http://www.gamebandits.com/news/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-bethesda-follows-biowares-lead-in-rpg-romance-07211/

Like most things Bethesda tries to do, this will be utterly awesome or completely terrifying and wrong...

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
Only thing about the gameplay that makes me go "oh I was really hopeing they would change that" is how slow you move when you have your shield up. It's irritating and there is no need for it. Also I fear that the sword/shield combo will be slow and clunky like Oblivion - you know like how it would take about a second or so for the character to realise he needs to lower his shield and raise his swod AT THE SAME TIME!?

But I do realise these are trivial matters that can and will be overlooked by myself. All in all, I haven't been this excited abotu a game in a very long time.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I'm concerned about inventory and the materials you need for crafting.

Specifically, I'm afraid of having to haul around everything in order to make weapons and armor. Say I have enough leather, etc, but need iron. Do I have to cart everything with me until I find enough iron to make a sword?

I know there will probably be houses I can buy with storage, but what about before that? Is there a place I can pay to store my junk, like in a tavern or something?

It was tolerable in Oblivion and Morrowind, since the only crafting materials you needed to collect were plants and such. Now there are two additional crafting skills and I'm sure iron and leather weighs more than flowers.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
I'm afraid, that the controls are too simplified, so on PC right mouse button jumps, uses things and fights, just like on consoles.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
ultrachicken said:
Windexglow said:
If you played a non-healer in previous elder scrolls games, what did you do after taking a hit in a fight? You either spammed a healing spell or waited one hour. That is not fun. The regenerating health is slow enough that you can't rely on it in combat at all, but fast enough that outside of combat you don't have to kick your immersion in the crotch by waiting and you don't have to mash the cast button.
This^

When I first heard about the regenerating health I ran to get my torch and pitchfork. Then I thought about it a bit and realized it might actually not be that bad. I would prefer something a little more tactile, like using bandages or something, but overall it might be an improvement over Oblivion and isn't likely to be any worse.

It's basically the same reaction I had when I learned they were removing stats. At first I cried foul, until I thought about and realized the stats in Oblivion were pretty weak (really and honestly, once they changed the combat away from the to-hit mechanic half of them were worthless) and the new perk system was considerably better, in theory.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
The fact that its made by the same developer as Oblivion and Fallout3.

I've already pre-ordered it because I'm certain I will enjoy it regardless; it's simply disappointing to see a game that is very close to greatness fall short. Oblivion's NPC leveling system was awful: Bandits in daedric armor, enemies that take forever to kill, cougars that were more dangerous than demons. And Fallout 3 threw away one of the most amazing leveling systems ever conceived of for absolutely no reason whatsoever. My marksman had 1 perception, because perception did basically nothing. In fact none of the attributes really did anything except intelligence, strength and agility.

And another problem both of them faced was that it was insanely easy to max out everything, making your character some kind of ubermensch that entirely took me out of the roleplaying aspects of the games. What character did you play in oblivion? You played the exact same kind of character everyone else played. The warrior/mage/archer/thief who was the leader of every single guild in the land. You never alter how you play the game, your experience never really changes unless you mod it. It's not like Fallout 2, where making a new character will drastically change how you experience the game with a witty charismatic pacifist, or a insanely buff but half retarded guy. Hell its not even like Mass Effect 2, where you literally all play as the same dude or dudette, but playing as a vanguard makes the gameplay hugely different from playing as an adept.

But that variety of play and replayability is lacking from all the Bethesda games I've played thus far. I hope that things will be different for skyrim, but I'm not particularly optimistic.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
The thing I'm most worried about is how stable and how many bugs and glitches will be present.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
The storyline and the dialogue. Bethesda aren't exactly known for their prowess in either area. Either way the gameplay should be solid and they've supposedly fixed the crappy voice acting, so good times!

Takolin

Aug 21, 2011
ultrachicken said:
If you played a non-healer in previous elder scrolls games, what did you do after taking a hit in a fight? You either spammed a healing spell or waited one hour. That is not fun. The regenerating health is slow enough that you can't rely on it in combat at all, but fast enough that outside of combat you don't have to kick your immersion in the crotch by waiting and you don't have to mash the cast button.
There were other options besides healing spells or waiting.

You could gob a potion. Make a custom spell that absorbed health while dealing damage. You could enchant a weapon that absorbed health. Or you could avoid taking damage with a 100% chameleon set or gear that absorbed/reflected/resisted magic and/or melee hits.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I'm concerned about the engine. Supposedly, it's just a somewhat polished Fallout 3 engine- which was shit, in my view. However, the notion that it's just a tuned FO3 job runs counter to the game's advertisement on Steam, which explicitly states it's a new engine.

It all depends on how Bathesda interpret the word "new", and I'm cautious of them because a developer is likely to be pretty generous toward itself. One new bell or whistle, one squashed bug or crash does not a *new* engine make.

QPCloudy

Oct 20, 2011
I'm actually worried about it not being as wide open as its predecessors. I mean, I know it's supposed to be, and that what TES games are, but there's this little worry bug that just won't leave me alone. I'm praying I'm wrong. We'll find out in 8 days!

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
evilneko said:
I can't say I really worry about it per se but... I sure hope Skyrim isn't as dull as Oblivion.
If you found Oblivion dull then you will probably dislike Skyrim aswell.

Same series and same style of game. There isn't as many changes between Oblivion and this than there were between Morrowind and Oblivion.

Basically, from what it looks like, certain aspects have changed but the core game is still in the style of the other TES games.

So yeah, if you didn't like Oblivion then Skyrim, more than likely, will not be for you.

On topic.....

Nothing worries me.

If there is anything in the game I don't like I can mod it and change it around.

Thanato5

May 12, 2010
The fact that its being done by bethesda. Nothing against them but they do have a habit of delivering only half a game and then you have to wait another year for all the patches and mods to fix the flaws. who knows though maybe this time they do it right.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
The only thing that worries me is that once its out ill have no time to play it!!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
In order of importance to me:

1) Combat System - Will it be fun at all or is it basically the same as Oblivion and will get old within hours?

2) Bugs - Will they cause me to play huge chunks of the game again because I'm stuck in some unbeatable dungeon from an event that happened over an hour ago?

3) Classless system - Will I feel as though I'm punished for not utilizing skills like restoration in every single build I make? Or focusing on non-combat skills like speechcraft?

4) Replay Value - By the time I 100$ complete the game's quest, will I be master of everything in skills? If so this could greatly reduce the replay value found in older versions.

5) Will the inventory management system be too realistic and bog down 50% of the game with senseless amounts of backtracking to cities?

6) Will the main story be unplayably boring like Oblivion's constant gate repetition quests?

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
Im worried about the overhype, im trying to keep a bubble around me because i enjoy a game more when i dont know much about it
last time i overhped a game i was dissapointed, it was great but did not live up to my hopes

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
Krantos said:
ultrachicken said:
Windexglow said:
This^

When I first heard about the regenerating health I ran to get my torch and pitchfork. Then I thought about it a bit and realized it might actually not be that bad. I would prefer something a little more tactile, like using bandages or something, but overall it might be an improvement over Oblivion and isn't likely to be any worse.

It's basically the same reaction I had when I learned they were removing stats. At first I cried foul, until I thought about and realized the stats in Oblivion were pretty weak (really and honestly, once they changed the combat away from the to-hit mechanic half of them were worthless) and the new perk system was considerably better, in theory.
I have an idea, since modding this game will be so easy; if you have a PC copy that is; then how about someone mod out the regen healing and add in immersive healing like bandages and such? Hell you can probably get a hotkey for it, add a skill for it even. Then hit the button; and depending on how badly damaged you are the character wraps bandages around itself in specific ways. A light injury might involve wrapping the hand up or forearm. A greater injury might require you to patch up your thigh or even wind a strip of cloth around your stomach. Hell if they were smart and left the damaging limbs stuff from fallout in; perhaps you can mod the game so it'll patch that specific body part that is damaged, healing and repairing the limb.

See modding games can be so great when the developers don't give you what you want....

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
I was slightly disappointed with the rag doll physics from the preview videos, I don't know, they just don't sit right with me, I guess I'll find out come the 11th.