Things everybody should know but for some reason, most don't.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
ELCTea said:
Roggen Bread said:
Jack the Potato said:
The toilet is NOT a trash can! Paper towels and wet wipes NEVER go in it! Those aren't NEARLY the same thing as toilet paper! Toilet paper is specifically designed to dissolve in septic tanks. You know what isn't? PAPER TOWELS!!!
Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks for enlightening me.

to topic:

You should *NOT* give cats anything containing milk.
Such as cream, butter, joghurt or... erm... MILK!

Ffs, so many people are seriously risking their cat's health.
I've been giving my cat milk her whole life and she's now 17 (in cat years) i'm pretty sure she will outlive me!!
Yeah, Thats stupid. They can obviously take milk.
Know why?
THEY'RE MAMMALS.
We have two cats, one's 14, and the other one's 8, they both drink milk. And are healthy.
Do you own a cat? (Just wondering)

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
Well Nokia is a Finnish company ffs not Japanese(not sure if someone already said that but oh well). We also do not have polar bears here.

The thing that I find most hilarious, is that someone thinks that we had war-mammoths in the winter war(don't remember where I heard this so it may be a fake, but given the amount of stupidity this world has, it might be true that someone thinks that). I mean hell yeah it would have been epic, but on a more serious note: WTF???

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Tipsy Giant said:
omicron1 said:
Tipsy Giant said:
omicron1 said:
The US budget cannot afford entitlements. Almost all entitlements present are founded on borrowed money; without them we'd have a balanced budget.
The US budget can't afford to sustain it's Imperialist occupation of foreign soil!
Military costs are ~15% of the budget. Entitlements are ~55%. The amount of the budget per year borrowed is ~40%. Any questions?
what's the other 30%?
the other 30% would be the full cost of running the rest of the government. Pay, expenses, upkeep, public works... Bill Whittle (iirc) does a pretty good breakdown of the system.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Black Holes are not some sort of hole in space and time. If somehow you magically were not effected by gravity, you could put your hand through a black hole, no problem. The black you see (or don't, relatively speaking) is just where the gravity reaches a point so strong light is pulled in, there is still stuff past that point, that orb of blackness, it's just impossible to get it out.
The REAL ''Black Hole'' is a singularity at the center of the orb of darkness that Black Holes are depicted as.
Also, they aren't some sort of monstrous demon travelling through space, eating up planets. They have the same mass as the core of the star they formed from, so if our Sun were to turn into one (which wouldn't happen, but bare with me) we would continue to orbit it, the only change would that we'd be plunged into darkness.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Wingmna said:
gim73 said:
Marcus Kehoe said:
Internet explorer browser suck's, using really anything else.

Chiropractor's are doctors and won't break your neck.

Christmas isn't Jesus Christ's Birthday.
to the first: that's your opinion. While there may be many great facts supporting that opinion.

to the second: That's your HOPE. Yes, they are doctors. But you also gotta figure in the fact that ALL DOCTORS ARE KILLERS, without exception. During their career, every single doctor will kill somebody, whether through negligence, malpractice or just plain malice.

to the third: It doesn't matter. Stating facts to a death cult is a waste of time. You could also point out that their holy day is supposed to be saturday, but that doesn't matter either. The cult leaders have a firm reign on the sheep. They tell them that murdering non-believers is okay, then murder happens. Murderous rich guy with a band of thugs wants your crop for taxes? He must be appointed by god to be your king because the cult leader is backing him. Don't have a good reason to keep the figurehead born on a certain day? Winter solstice is a great time in pagan tradition, let's switch it up!

People who use 'you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar' should have feces thrown at them. If they really want to catch flies, nothing will get the flies buzzing towards you faster than a hot, steaming turd. Also, why are they trying to get flies? I'm always trying to keep them out of the house.

'People who don't know history are doomed to repeat it' is very valid, but more valid is, 'People who know history are doomed to point out forever that everyone else is repeating history'

Stalin was an evil man who was going to divide up the world with Hitler. If Hitler hadn't been so greedy and wanted to keep it all for himself, WWII would have been alot darker...

Pro-Life doesn't mean that you value human life, only that you wish for the government to take away freedoms from those who need it. It's funny how many pro-life people are supporters of the death penalty.
LOL you call out 'death cults' (I'm guessing you are talking about general Christianity and its ilk) yet obviously support abortion, oh the irony!

Also, Christianity has a very good reason for celebrating the Sabbath on a Sunday, but alas you fall into the very ignorance you are trying to call people out on. And the Sabbath isn't even on a Saturday, the old Jewish calender was different, if anything the Sabbath would have changed week to a new day if it transitioned to the calender we have now. And even if you did try to transition it, it would probably end up falling on the Friday anyway.

Also, obviously you do not understand the simple logic behind abortion and the death penalty.
1. Kills unborn human beings that have not been given a chance, is directly discriminatory since it is encourage in some communities and cultures more then others. Basic genocide that controls certain populations more then others.
2. Punishes human beings that had been given a chance and are a direct threat to the rest of the population, it is far cheaper, and more effective then keeping them alive, and it removes all risk of a reoccurring crime. It is also used as an example to others who might think to do likewise.
And no, I couldn't really care less if a country had the death penalty or not; but as you can see the two have completely opposite reasoning and logic that are perfectly justified.
Discriminatory against whom ? The unborn child?
Aren't abortions usually done when it's just a zygote ? If you'd argue that a zygote contains life, biologically it contains as much life as any other cell in your body. In my country it is illegal to have an abortion when it has been fully developed. The limit is 24 weeks.

(If you are religious: I think that because how you defended christianity quite vigorously, if not that ignore this wall of text). I think that making things illegal based on religious ethics is wrong. If one does that, he or she is enforcing his views on another person. How is somebody having an abortion affecting you ? Religion should keep to where it belong. It doesn't belong in State affairs. I don't know where you live but that's the way it is here. Religion has no place in our government and it shouldn't. Therefore, any moral ethic argument based on religious views have no validity for me.

You probably have heard that argument, but rape victims should have a right to abortion. I must admit my bias for the rape argument, because it is something someone close to me had to go through.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
The planet is in no danger. People are always going on about how we are killing the planet...no no we are not. Whatever we do to it, it will still carry on, you would be amazed at how tough life is.

What we should worry about is saving the humans, if we continue with all the pollution then it'll be us that gets shafted. Earth will just shrug it's shoulders and and in a few million years will not even remember us except maybe for some slightly elevated radioactivity in some places.

Oh and also

Wood is made up of cellulose, which is mainly made of carbon, the carbon comes from the air not the soil, thus trees can be thought of as condensed air and sunshine.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Patrick Buck said:
ELCTea said:
Roggen Bread said:
Snip.

You should *NOT* give cats anything containing milk.
Such as cream, butter, joghurt or... erm... MILK!

Ffs, so many people are seriously risking their cat's health.
I've been giving my cat milk her whole life and she's now 17 (in cat years) i'm pretty sure she will outlive me!!
Yeah, Thats stupid. They can obviously take milk.
Know why?
THEY'RE MAMMALS.
We have two cats, one's 14, and the other one's 8, they both drink milk. And are healthy.
Do you own a cat? (Just wondering)
MANY cats are lactose intolerant and as adult mammals do not need it in their diet. Humans are the same story but most of us have built up a tolerance to cow milk by drinking it through our generations for thousands of years.

Give a cat cow milk [http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm] and you increase the chance of them puking/crapping on your floor, basically.

Also; dogs are actually fatally intolerant to chocolate. Give your dog too much chocolate (which is only a few squares) and you will be poisoning it [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning]. DO that for a few days and he'll be dead by the end of the week. It's worse for cats but cats, unlike dogs, don't eat food they dislike; and chocolate is a food many cats dislike whereas most dogs eat any food you give them.

DeadlySpider

Mar 5, 2012
Almost every ideal you aspire to is something invented by other human beings. Their is no tangible force behind it. Good and bad or moral inventions, as is justice, fairness, and value of truth. That's not to say they aren't valuable, but they are not created by anything beyond man.

However, if your religious, this could be pretty much bunk.

Oh, and if your Christian

The devil is imprisoned in hell, not ruler of it

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Popadoo said:
Black Holes are not some sort of hole in space and time. If somehow you magically were not effected by gravity, you could put your hand through a black hole, no problem. The black you see (or don't, relatively speaking) is just where the gravity reaches a point so strong light is pulled in, there is still stuff past that point, that orb of blackness, it's just impossible to get it out.
The REAL ''Black Hole'' is a singularity at the center of the orb of darkness that Black Holes are depicted as.
Also, they aren't some sort of monstrous demon travelling through space, eating up planets. They have the same mass as the core of the star they formed from, so if our Sun were to turn into one (which wouldn't happen, but bare with me) we would continue to orbit it, the only change would that we'd be plunged into darkness.
One question, doesn't something have to have mass to be affected by gravity? And as far as I know light has no mass which is why it can travel at light speed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought black holes somehow had gravity so great that it sucked in time as well. I don't know a lot about astronomy so sorry if I'm rambling.

Anyway everyone should know that germs aren't all evil and that your body is attacking invaders. however not everything that is a bacterium exists to fuck you over and most are what is protecting you from foreign germs.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
At the current rate, antibiotics will be useless in 10 years as bacteria mutate to resist them. Abuse of antibiotics (they DO NOT help a cold, people) is not helping.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
1. That ellipsis don't indicate a pause, but the cutting off of a sentenc...

3. Social rules/boundaries don't exist outside what us humans create.
3.5 We aren't truly free and there is no 'you', but made up of are experiences, genetics and
society.And people are only held accountable to their actions based on we decide.

4. Sexuality is not black and white.

5. Humans are animals.

6. All forms of government are flawed.

7. Backing up a statement with an example or Numbers/statistics doesn't make something true.

GoAwayVifs

Aug 5, 2011
him over there said:
One question, doesn't something have to have mass to be affected by gravity? And as far as I know light has no mass which is why it can travel at light speed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought black holes somehow had gravity so great that it sucked in time as well. I don't know a lot about astronomy so sorry if I'm rambling.
You are correct that light has no mass, it does however have momentum, but that is another issue. To understand how a black hole could affect light, you have to understand spacetime. To make things easier let's just imagine a 2D plane, anything with mass will cause spacetime to curve around it, like placing a ball on tightly stretched sheet of rubber. Light follows the curves in spacetime, its path being altered by the curvature. A black hole is so dense the spacetime has an nearly asymptotic slope near the mass, or singularity. The point at which the slope is so great that light will curve down into the singularity is called the event horizon. And that's black holes 101. I might have screwed up some details since this type of physics is not my field, so if you are in this branch of physics feel free to sperg at me.

As for content: Searing meat does not lock in the juices. The point of searing meat is for colour and flavour.

When making pasta add a bit of olive oil to the pot to stop it from boiling over.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
brandon237 said:
Kermi said:
Pi is 22 divided by 7, just in case you have a calculator without a Pi button and urgently have to calculate the circumference of a circle.
Ahem...
[HEADING=3]WRONG![/HEADING]
Pi is not a rational number, it never terminates and does not repeat. All rational numbers can be shown in the form x = a/b, Pi, not being rational, cannot be accurately represented by 22/7 as this totally goes against what Pi is, an irrational number.

You can say that Pi is approximately 22/7, although it is as easy to remember 3,14.

Sorry. That may have been a little harsh :p

OT: Everyone should know that Chernobyl was not a good example of normal nuclear-fission power-generation and that "theory" in English does NOT mean the same, or even a similar thing, to what theory means in science.
You will have to blame the school system for this one up to A-level math (18 years old) i was still being told Pi was 22/7.

Mind this is the same school that tried to tell me Electricity flows from Positive to negative

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
zumbledum said:
brandon237 said:
Kermi said:
Pi is 22 divided by 7, just in case you have a calculator without a Pi button and urgently have to calculate the circumference of a circle.
Ahem...
[HEADING=3]WRONG![/HEADING]
Pi is not a rational number, it never terminates and does not repeat. All rational numbers can be shown in the form x = a/b, Pi, not being rational, cannot be accurately represented by 22/7 as this totally goes against what Pi is, an irrational number.

You can say that Pi is approximately 22/7, although it is as easy to remember 3,14.

Sorry. That may have been a little harsh :p

OT: Everyone should know that Chernobyl was not a good example of normal nuclear-fission power-generation and that "theory" in English does NOT mean the same, or even a similar thing, to what theory means in science.
You will have to blame the school system for this one up to A-level math (18 years old) i was still being told Pi was 22/7.

Mind this is the same school that tried to tell me Electricity flows from Positive to negative

This comic came to mind when I read these posts

GoAwayVifs

Aug 5, 2011
zumbledum said:
Current flows positive to negative, electrons flow negative to positive.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Darwins Theory of evolution has given us a massively miss understood catchphrase

"Survival of the fittest"

Today the word fit might be used to mean attractive in England. It used to mean healthy as in physical condition. But in Darwins day it referred to shape. He is talking about fitting into a niche like a round peg in a round hole. a 3 toed sloth is not fit by any definition , hey the poor guys even got a sin named after em but they fit a niche and so they survive.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
redisforever said:
Quaxar said:
Damnit, I just watched sooo much QI. Now I can't even decide what I want to mention here!
Gah, you're right! Me too!

We have two moons!
Kina.
Yeeeaah... no, we don't. Cruithne is not a moon. Sadly, it's not a battle station either.
I don't like to tell QI they've done a mistake but it is an asteroid orbiting the sun that just happens to cross earth orbit in a way that made him look like a distant moon with a weird orbit to one guy who decided to publish just that.

Magic Cheese

Jun 19, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
Entertainment's only purpose in our lives is to distract us from realizing one day we will die, kicking and screaming, into a deep dark black abyss, and we won't want to go but we won't have a choice...
All the more reason to live life to the fullest.And that doesn't have to mean skydiving or jumping the grand canyon on a Triumph Bonneville.

I'm taking up cycling to compliment my fitness regimen (lost 25 lbs since October) and I've been playing guitar for the last two years (after several people outright told me I was too old to learn an instrument at 24) and plan to keep trying new things until I'm inevitably dragged kicking and screaming back into that cold, dark abyss.