Things in games that need to stop.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Quicktime events, especially ones that come out of fucking nowhere. I'm looking at YOU, Uncharted.

Other than that, ironic parodies of popular games. BulletStorm, Duke Nukem. They need to stop. It's not funny.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I don't mind motion controls if it means we eventually get full round tv's and full motion controls basically next to full on emersion with kinect were so close you can practically taste it

Baconmaninspace

Jun 8, 2011
Make games about something other than killing things.

While I love plenty of combat-focused games, there's no reason why that should be the focus of nearly every game's mechanics.

ScottyMuser

Dec 17, 2010
LobsterFeng said:
EDIT: Oh and I totally just remembered something else that bugs me. Adding titles to sequels instead of numbers. This probably only bugs me, but I find it so annoying that Assassin's Creed went from 2, Brotherhood, Revelations. I mean what happened to the numbers Ubisoft?
Why? Books, films, video games, all these mediums have been adding words rather then simply jusrt numbers since the beginning of time. And your use of assassins creed is possibly the worst, most inaccurate comparison you could make. The entire point is, the Assassins Creed games have number on them if the main character (other then Desmond) is a brand new character, and if instead they are a continuance of the existing characters then they shouldn't.. This is because the whole series is building up to the modern day conflict, and therefore you playing the point of different ancestors in the main games as they drive forward that meta-story. Ubisoft may have been better served prefixing brotherhood and revelations with a "2" just so its more obvious it is a continuation of the AC2 story through Ezio, rather then the AC1 Altair's story, but thats debatable as it does seem to be clumsy to say.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
ScottyMuser said:
Being someone that has never played Assassin's Creed, that totally confuses me. See why this is a bad thing to an outside observer? And really, since the beginning of time? Woah.

ScottyMuser

Dec 17, 2010
LobsterFeng said:
ScottyMuser said:
Being someone that has never played Assassin's Creed, that totally confuses me. See why this is a bad thing to an outside observer? And really, since the beginning of time? Woah.
Sorry for the sarcasm, was exagerrating a bit there. And, no, I don't see why it is a bad thing - again, because of the whole mythos of the story Assassins Creed means that the developers want to tell the story a certain way, and want gamers to understand this (and all the reviews would/shouldhave pointed this out).
As for games which do have words rather then just numbers, there are plenty which seem to be fairly random - the new Call of Duty games (although I understand why), and the Halo games (which the names *are* utterly silly) for instance may seem confusing. But again, it's an artistic decision for the developers to use tsomething that could describe what happens. Much like the sequel to Alien wasn't Alien 2, but Aliens, the sequel to Die Hard is Die Harder, etc

Mar 9, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Big budgets.

Gaming should focus on ways to minimize costs in gaming rather than inflating them.

If we can reduce costs necessary to make a game, we can introduce more risky ideas without the risk of a massive downfall.
I disagree. If we minimize the costs then we may also end up with a cheap, poorly made game. It would be far better to do things to their best degree so that the game brings in a tidy profit.

OT: Stop being cunts to the developers. This goes for projecy managers and publishers. Every time you're a dick to your developers you reduce their moral which means that they're far more likely to fuck up the game. As for publishers, stop trying to bring the game out on a specific date, bring it out when it's ready. No, it's not ideal for the marketing department or for many other things, but if you want a steady stream of high quality games that people enjoy that actually reach those ridiculous review scores that you demand then you need to make some fucking leeway for the devs to work with.

Indie developing has all these things, that's why you rarely see rushed indie games. Learn from the indie kids.

OniSuika

Jul 11, 2009
rofl jet said:
LobsterFeng said:
Swearing in videogames. It annoys me that writers think that an M game needs to have a ton of F-Bombs in order to be seen as "mature" Seriously is there any real need for it? Let's look at Resident Evil 5 as an example, it has an F-Bomb totally out of nowhere and wasn't needed at all.
Reading this I looked back at Mass Effect a series full of violence, some graphic gore, overall a lot of mature themes, and to my memory no one ever swears.
Dunno if this got pointed out, but they do. At least Aria definitely does.

But yes, your point still stands, Swearing is very rare in it, and it doesn't make the game any less mature. Sometimes, swearing is needed in dialogue to enforce a sense of realism, as it's not like no-one ever swears in real life, but swearing every other word like many games like to is a good way of making the dialogue feel even more forced.

Anyway, I think games need to stop being rushed out. Too many games have been pushed out the door with lacklustre campaigns and less single player enjoyment time than you can get for £10 at the cinema, games like Brink that could have been so much better with the time to actually finish them, and fighters being released with hardly a single heed given to balance. Here's lookin' at you Marvel Vs Capcom 3. I know a lot of the time it isn't realistic for games to have had that extra time in development, but it would be better none the less.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
2 kinda linked things....

1) A personal, selfish gripe first, stop making exclusives!!!, I don't want to have to buy everything of X generation to play the games I want, not to mention, companies think for a second, you sell to one console, you get X ammount of people to sell to, you sell to every playform, you get 3-4 times that ammount!

2) When making things multiformat, dont make the PC version just a console port, I'm tired of seeing promts turn up on screen as Xbox or Playstation controller buttons when I'm playing on my PC!

oh n just thought of another along the exclusives line, stop with the timed exclusives, I'm looking at you Microsoft, with your "look we have the shiney demo on xbox live before everyone else, oooooo! thats right, follow the carrot on the stick silly consumers!", just no!

madchatter92

Nov 19, 2009
Obviously there are some exceptions but, at the risk of being heavily criticized, a lot of DLC, expansions, and the lot are really annoying to me. I mean I already paid upwards of 50 or 60 bucks for a game and you want me to buy MORE stuff for something I just bought? When I spend my money on a game I'd like to have the ENTIRE game please.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
ArcaneFyre said:
6: Bury Duke Nukem, forever
Fixed that for you.

I agree with most of the OP's points except for number 5. I enjoy it when the enemy is an actual country because it makes the game feel like it could have actually happened. It can also cover up shitty writing because they can just draw from actual events.

I personally hate DLC when it's something other than cosmetic stuff like hats or mounts, it makes the game you're playing feel cheap because you know you don't actually have the whole game.

I also hate the fact that newly released games usually cost 100-120 dollars in Australia despite our dollar being stronger than the US's, that needs to change.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
The only people that complain about CoD clones are the people that go out and buy ALL of the freaking CoD clones.

When I see that the CoD game is just copy and paste or a clone of CoD I stop right there, I don't buy it and complain afterwards.

drh1975

Dec 8, 2010
Pre-order exclusives need to go. Everyone should have access to all extra content in new games. Why should I, for example, get DLC for inFamous 2 or any other game just because I ordered it early?

Kiereek

Nov 18, 2008
Saelune said:
And how many games is the American Government the bad guy?
Name one. I can only think of games were the Americans were dicks, like C&C Generals, or Red Alert 3.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
EverythingIncredible said:
Big budgets.

Gaming should focus on ways to minimize costs in gaming rather than inflating them.

If we can reduce costs necessary to make a game, we can introduce more risky ideas without the risk of a massive downfall.
I disagree. If we minimize the costs then we may also end up with a cheap, poorly made game. It would be far better to do things to their best degree so that the game brings in a tidy profit.

Indie developing has all these things, that's why you rarely see rushed indie games. Learn from the indie kids.
I think you're misunderstanding this a little bit. By cutting costs he means putting money where it matters, currently the game industry pours so much money into making everything realistic and marketing the hell out of it. We need to pour more money into every other aspect and make graphics a lower priority.

You'd be surprised how good things can turn out when developers have limited budgets or toolsets, you can take 8-bit tunes and indie games as a solid example. Not to mention having a low budget puts less at risk, and means more risky games can be created.

Also indie games are largely well-developed because they're not in it for the money. There's no higher ups holding their paychecks and saying "we need this game in X weeks and just how we like it". And because little or no money is at stake they can make their ideas as risky as they want - again the benefit of lower budgets.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I feel like I've heard this argument before, its almost as if these are the same arguments that everyone else in the forums has been making for the past few years. Oh well.

I'd just like to see people stop giving games numerical rankings. I don't believe in such a rarification of games into a single omni-value. I don't support it in any medium actually. I know that a full review mighty be a bit much to read for every game but can we at least get a panel of scores and values and not just one ultimate number here?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
VikingSteve said:
Also, start making PC games actually have super high requirements. I don't game on PC just for the controls, I do it for the raw power. The last game that actually seemed to care about that was Crysis in 2007.

If you want cheap gaming buy a console instead

Also, sad attempts at realism. If you're not pursuing realism like ArmA or OFP, then don't even bother with the quasi-realistic bullshit. I've only enjoyed 1 FPS that was somewhat realistic, all the rest I loved for being just the opposite
Yes, that way even fewer people buy PC games and fewer games are released for PC, brilliant!