Things that annoy you about your friends

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Marter said:
How a "meet me at 1:00" becomes an "I'll show up at 1:30 despite telling you I'd be there at 1:00."

That's really the only annoying one that isn't really excusable to me (if it happens every time, which, for one friend, it does).
This. I'm always on time for almost everything and will try to get places early so it's annoying when others don't show up on time.

Another thing is that one of my friends has these... mood changes where he'll just be a complete ass for a week and inconsiderate to everything. Another one of the friends in my group of friends hardly makes any attempts to contact and spend time with any of us so we have to go the extra mile to even speak to him.

My overall best friend can also appear to me to be a bit arrogant sometimes with what he's confident with and sometimes may just shrug off your points.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
The few friends that I have are all online ones, and still only a few at that. Sure I have seen a couple in person (just once) and been friends for a long time, I really miss seeing someone in person. Any acquaintances I have don't share my interest for games or books. =( I'd love to just have a day of going to museums, arcade, and then play some really hard game on nes or something with someone who'd not consider all of that to be boring. *cuddles up with her books and cries* Time to go play depressing music on piano.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Friends on Facebook who constantly post things above how they love their beautiful/gorgeous sweeties.

The fact that everyone I know buys up the new COD every year like clockwork, then after about 3 days starts bitching about how horrible/stupid/unfair it is and how everyone cheats/spawncamps/is a racist. This is nothing against CoD and not a complaint about shooters so much as continuously having to listen to people ***** about game they can't wait to rebuy every year despite hating it.

Friends who talk over me continuously.

MajorTomServo said:
One of my best friends from high school recently came out as a lesbian, and my friends and I want to be supportive. Unfortunately, they're the overly PDA couple in a big way. We'll just be sitting around in a circle chatting or playing a bored game or something, and they start making out, sliding their hands down each other's pants, etc. We all just kind of awkwardly sit there and let it pass. When we all go out to eat, they spend the whole time texting each other and only kind-of sort-of pay attention to the rest of the group. No one wants to complain about it though, because she gets all emotional about how we're only pretending to be accepting. Ugh, it's annoying.
Live by example. Find a dude to constantly make out with and grope and show them how annoying it is.

...This may not work for everyone.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
One of my mate is very antisocial (and when people think I'm antisocial!). Due to his work style (pro at 3d softwares and is a freelancer) he pretty much stay at home 99% of the time. He admit he want to go out more however he spend most of his money on upgrading his pc so he doesn't have the cash to visit us in the city.

Currently he is so busy with his work that he haven't watch this show that I watched which I am dying to talk to him about it! (He will only watch it when he got some free time which he hasn't).

He also have a tenancy to always got to be right in an argument, let just say do not bring up about time travel or the show LOST to him :p

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
well for one they always seem to have zany adventures and never include me another got a girlfriend and now has disapeared from the world
plus tons of lil stuff

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
One of my friends has dropped out, isn't going to uni, isn't applying for jobs and just isn't doing... anything. It annoys me, as he's a clever guy and could do well if he wasn't so painfully lazy.

Another of my friends got drunk and put his tongue down my ear. Enough said.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
I have a high self esteem. As such, two of my friends think that I am narcissistic and challenge a lot of things I say/do in order to attempt to "knock me from my stride".
It's not going to work and by now it's just gotten really annoying.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Jedamethis said:
One's a dickhead when he's bored. That's about it.
one of mine is just a dick a lot of the time.
Also, his philosophy just pisses me the hell off. He turned general pessimism into a belief system "or lack thereof", mixed in the most cynical bit of Hobbes, and the most cynical bit of nihilism, and then labelled it all as nihilism.

normally not to bad, because we dont get into these discussions much, and he is partially justified in his beliefs (he has had some BAD experiences. and was a little shit as a smaller child apparently, but weren't we all?), but it only really annoys me because he is the dungeon master (because the other one moved out, and i just dont have the drive to do it myself. there are way too goddamn many supplements and shit, and the Basic rules are complex enough!). And as the dungeon master, he has made his belief system not a way of looking at things in his world, but the truth. at least for the most part.

and i cant make the world a better place when all the intelligent creatures are inherently evil. I almost did once, made a near utopia, but then he had the god of war try to raze it, and when we won he made a bad roll and the economic fallout turned it into a literal shithole. luckily, he finally accepted that his pet character literally selling the city to our rival province was grounds for me to kill the fucker. i just haven't had the chance yet.

now, i would find a new group, but im only 16, so am severely limited in options (curfew, reasonable parent fears of who i hang with, especially if they are all adults, and i cant drink, which hampers the fun a bit and makes me uncomfortable when im the only sober person in a room. because i am a good child and wont drink until i legally can, or but a few months before that). so i have no choice but to either quit RPGs, which i really REALLY dont want to do, or deal with it, which is getting increasingly difficult as he is increasingly defensive in his insistence on grimdark grimdark grimdark for his campaigns.

is it too much to ask to play a more noblebright campaign?

(for those who have no idea what im talking about, grimdark and noblebright are terms thrown around on /tg. look it up on 1d4chan.org, it explains it rather well)

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Fluoxetine said:
I loaned a friend of mine $100 so she could stay at a motel because her boyfriend was threatening to kick her out. Then about a week later, hurricane Sandy hit. She made up with her boyfriend and together they spent the $100 on food/supplies. I never asked for the money back, and she never offered.

Shortly afterward she put up a message on facebook saying how grateful she was for having all the friends that she does. She listed several people by name...mine was nowhere to be found.
well then, call her out on it. but make sure it is in person so you can tell if she tries to BS her way out of it. it doesn't matter if you publicly out her or not, as long as you know what kind of person she is.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Alucard 11189 said:
Marter said:
How a "meet me at 1:00" becomes an "I'll show up at 1:30 despite telling you I'd be there at 1:00."

That's really the only annoying one that isn't really excusable to me (if it happens every time, which, for one friend, it does).
I have a friend who is like that. I like to be punctual and it annoys me when people don't show up on time and they don't have a good reason for doing so. To me, "I slept in" does not excuse someone for being late. They knew the date, they knew the time, and usually these are arranged in accordance to her schedule, and yet she thinks its a viable excuse. It is an argument we have had many a time. Wow, I kinda went on a little rant there didn't I? But still, it irks me no end.
no problem with ranting, we all need to do it every now and again.

i know the feeling though. it is even more annoying when people say "i probably can know, but i'll just check. (repeated each day up until the event)" "oh sorry, turns out i had to do something, lets try next week" (they day of the event, less than 3 hours from when they were supposed to arrive, and you already bought a bunch of snacks)

ELD3RGoD

Apr 23, 2010
My best friend never eats. He has breakfast at like 4PM, Dinner at 12AM (Midnight) and then has a couple snacks in the day. It's like, FUCK DUDE, and every time I tell him I'm hungry, he's like, "Oh, well, I'm not, sorry." Makes me hate staying there. Not to mention he thinks he knows absolutely everything to do with anything. He also can't stand dying in video games or any games at all. He, in his mind, is the best player ever who never dies unless it's lag or bullshit or unfair. He always plays the stealth guy so he can insta-kill every one with either knives, bows or snipers. That is unless he's playing CoD in which he runs and guns, which then leads to him dying more and resulting in him getting even more pissed off.

He never diversifies and the most infuriating thing is trying to play a Warhammer RPG. He freaks the fuck out if ANY of his guys die. What do you expect!? I love the idea that a character I am really attached to has been hurt or killed because it sticks with the rest of my guys. Stop thinking you're a God. Get in to the game and enjoy it, especially when it's only amongst friends. Even when it comes down to dice rolls he calls bullshit when they go against him.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
THE_JOKE_KING33 said:
One of them truly thinks he's dark and mysterious when he's anything but, and it kind of annoys me as I'm the editor of his endless fanfics.
ah yes, the last complaint about my dm friend. he tries to be dark and mysterious, but for the most part it just falls flat because of the funny names (dark salvation, antipathy, agony, dark one etc. it wouldn't be so bad if 75% of his cast weren't named in such a manner). also, he never seems bothered to remember all the details to anything, or ever fill us in on all the details so that if he forgets something we can remind him. it kinda ruins supposedly scary moments, or AHA! moments when he apparently pulls some rule out of his ass, or some detail we probably should have known but never was told to us.

one example. i broke one of the BIG BAD guy's weapon during what was effectively a mexican standoff moment, centered on the vampire player in the party (vampire clan warfare and all that). suddenly, it fixed itself, which was apparently one of the properties of soul-bound weapons. they repaired themselves instantly when broken, in addition to either teleporting to the user's hand, being able to be summoned like in harry potter (accio sword! basically), or some other third property i dont remember.

whether or not it actually was in the rulebook (i dont know the rules about most of the magic item enchantments besides the basics, so i dont even know if it is one of the rulebooks), or whether or not in his extensive homebrewing it was a property of soul-bound weapons, he didn't write it down until after that encounter as a solid rule henceforth.

aaaaaaand im turning this into a complain about my dm thread a little bit. im very sorry. i'll stop right here.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
CommanderL said:
well for one they always seem to have zany adventures and never include me another got a girlfriend and now has disapeared from the world
plus tons of lil stuff
it is kinda funny how one of my friends got a girlfriend and then seemed to disappear. the only thing is, its not because they always did stuff together to the exclusion of us (they did hang constantly, but always had time for group stuff). he disappeared because he had to move away.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
The fact that my "friend" does nothing but play TF2... kinda pisses me off. Boring, and to think he used to play strategy and fallout...

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Mine are always late too. I had to wait for two fucking hours once, after agreeing to meet one at 6.

"Oh, I fell asleep. Shall we go then?"
OH FUCK YOU. MAKE ME WAIT TWO HOURS, THEN YOU DON'T EVEN SAY SORRY? >.<
Most of the time they're/he's just ten minutes late, but that time took the fucking cake.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
One of them I cannot watch movies with. He gets distracted so easily (I'm pretty sure he has mild ADHD but he's never been coded for it) that he'll randomly start talking about something completely different from the movie.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
Quazimofo said:
Jedamethis said:
normally not to bad, because we dont get into these discussions much, and he is partially justified in his beliefs (he has had some BAD experiences. and was a little shit as a smaller child apparently, but weren't we all?), but it only really annoys me because he is the dungeon master (because the other one moved out, and i just dont have the drive to do it myself. there are way too goddamn many supplements and shit, and the Basic rules are complex enough!). And as the dungeon master, he has made his belief system not a way of looking at things in his world, but the truth. at least for the most part.

and i cant make the world a better place when all the intelligent creatures are inherently evil. I almost did once, made a near utopia, but then he had the god of war try to raze it, and when we won he made a bad roll and the economic fallout turned it into a literal shithole. luckily, he finally accepted that his pet character literally selling the city to our rival province was grounds for me to kill the fucker. i just haven't had the chance yet.

now, i would find a new group, but im only 16, so am severely limited in options (curfew, reasonable parent fears of who i hang with, especially if they are all adults, and i cant drink, which hampers the fun a bit and makes me uncomfortable when im the only sober person in a room. because i am a good child and wont drink until i legally can, or but a few months before that). so i have no choice but to either quit RPGs, which i really REALLY dont want to do, or deal with it, which is getting increasingly difficult as he is increasingly defensive in his insistence on grimdark grimdark grimdark for his campaigns.

is it too much to ask to play a more noblebright campaign?
That was one of the best posts I've ever read on these forums.

I'm not sure if tabletop games that exist as you described really exist or if you're just completely making it all up, but man, you should be a salesman for Wizards of the Coast or something.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Quazimofo said:
Alucard 11189 said:
Marter said:

I have a friend who is like that. I like to be punctual and it annoys me when people don't show up on time and they don't have a good reason for doing so. To me, "I slept in" does not excuse someone for being late. They knew the date, they knew the time, and usually these are arranged in accordance to her schedule, and yet she thinks its a viable excuse. It is an argument we have had many a time. Wow, I kinda went on a little rant there didn't I? But still, it irks me no end.
no problem with ranting, we all need to do it every now and again.

i know the feeling though. it is even more annoying when people say "i probably can know, but i'll just check. (repeated each day up until the event)" "oh sorry, turns out i had to do something, lets try next week" (they day of the event, less than 3 hours from when they were supposed to arrive, and you already bought a bunch of snacks)
Oh yeah, she's done that before as well. It was fortunate that I lived near her at the time otherwise I think I would have popped a blood vessel or something, but now that we live in different places and meeting up with her takes more planning I have a lot less patience.