Things that left you baffled

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
My 12th Grade Chemistry teacher didn't know which was bigger; the earth or the moon. She was also an avid user of Wikipedia whenever a student had a discrepancy with her logic. We didn't have much respect for her. Didn't help that she slept with 3 students in one year (It's okay, my friends were all 18). She was a very baffling woman.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Stasisesque said:
I said "according to QI", and I only mentioned it because I found the episode funny. I do not have a background in marine biology so in no way could I make a statement of fact, just an observation I found on a fun TV show.
One of the great things about the internet is that you don't need to be an expert. These days, you don't even need to buy expensive textbooks or journals. People frequently pull the "you think you're so smart" thing because of one of my superpowers. Research.

This is a piece of misinformation that's spread far and wide on the internet, and QI may actually be the source. I'm not sure. however, it is misinformation. There is a biological definition of a fish and it operates the same as any other polyphyletic groups.

Fair play if you're only interested because of QI or whatever, but it's not that hard to research something like that. I don't 100% understand all the terminology myself. I also did find it interesting that I couldn't find a primary source for the Gould statement, but I found one I think people screwed up. Considering what I've watched of QI, I was kind of surprised to see this one.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Saltyk said:
So I just watched some recent stuff over at TGWTG. Namely, Nostalgia Critic's review of Sailor Moon and Sage's Top 20 Worst Number One Songs. Now, something caught my attention in Sage's video. He mentioned something in passing. Something with a caption assuring me it was real. So, I looked it up.

Okay, I couldn't care less about Miley Cyrus. But... Why? Just why? Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of Nirvana's most famous songs. I love the song. It leaves me baffled. I seriously don't know what to say to this. I couldn't believe it before, and now, I don't even know what to think. I think this overshadowed the rest of Sage's video for me.

And in that video, literally no one even seemed to know the song. Which I'm pretty sure is a crime in some countries.

So, that left me completely baffled today. What about you? Got anything that left you in shock? Or maybe that video I just posted left you in shock.

I think I'm gonna go listen to the real song, now.
Hmmmm, surprisingly it wasn't that bad. Just because it is Miley doesn't mean it is instabad. Atleast she didn't remix it or something, although I only listened to the first min or so.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Golman Sacks, why do we keep trusting them with shit. They played prediction with housing values and it blew up in all of our faces. Then they were bailed out and they gave themselves bonuses. They said Facebook would be work 50 billion and only allowed opening trades with people who were friends with Goldman Sacks. AKA not someone like me that could of used a good growing stock. Then it turns out they fucked that up too. It wasn't worth nearly that much.

Seriously it would be like if I went into work punched the keyboard with my fist till it broke, then shrugged and went on lunch break. Then got a raise.

Grrr... Why can't I pull that shit.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Stasisesque said:
I said "according to QI", and I only mentioned it because I found the episode funny. I do not have a background in marine biology so in no way could I make a statement of fact, just an observation I found on a fun TV show.
One of the great things about the internet is that you don't need to be an expert. These days, you don't even need to buy expensive textbooks or journals. People frequently pull the "you think you're so smart" thing because of one of my superpowers. Research.

This is a piece of misinformation that's spread far and wide on the internet, and QI may actually be the source. I'm not sure. however, it is misinformation. There is a biological definition of a fish and it operates the same as any other polyphyletic groups.

Fair play if you're only interested because of QI or whatever, but it's not that hard to research something like that. I don't 100% understand all the terminology myself. I also did find it interesting that I couldn't find a primary source for the Gould statement, but I found one I think people screwed up. Considering what I've watched of QI, I was kind of surprised to see this one.
Yes, I do realise I could have researched the claim. However, as I pointed out in a previous post, I was only making the claim that QI had made the claim that fish do not exist. That was the entirety of my point. I wasn't claiming they were correct, I was merely using the point QI had made to emphasise a joke I was making regarding the lady who refused to believe fish were animals.

I was in no way prepared to research the claim because I was not, until now, taking part in an academic discussion. I was, for all intents and purposes, making a pop-culture reference. I've noticed QI and Stephen Fry in general are popular here, so I thought I'd bring it up, believing (perhaps mistakenly)that others would recognise my reply as light-hearted.

Another great thing about the internet is that you can appear knowledgeable about a subject. For example, do you realise "fish" are a paraphyletic grouping, not a polyphyletic one?

To make this even clearer, my mentioning of the QI video was along the same lines as the "dogs can't look up" quote. It was for fun. Obviously it's not fun anymore, it's tedious and annoying and I'll make sure never to bring it up again, but it started out as fun.

Edit: fixed a phrase I'd managed to mess up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Total LOLige said:
I think its because SLTS is the ultimate pop song, everyone knows that shit. That wasn't even a bad cover, OP is just complaining because it was ol' Miley C. I don't really get all the fuss over Nirvana, just a shit Smashing Pumpkins *shield against Kurt Cobain cultists activate*
Wonder how Cobain would feel about that.

OT: When fans cry that a band change their style is pretty baffaling, words like "sell outs" get thrown around.
Depends on the band. Sugar Ray really did sell out. They switched to soft, kid-friendly pop, and they even said they sold out. Which made it funny watching some of their live shit on MTV. 10 year olds moshing to mean machine, albeit a censored version.

But seriously, they went from this:

To this:

Ironically, this came off the same CD as "Cash" from up above.

And this was done explicitly for money. That seems the definition of selling out. And regardless of the quality of their material before and after.

However, I often like artists who keep it fresh. I mean, Queen is one of my favourite bands. They really didn't have many CDs that sounded the same. There was the "Queen sound," but "Queen" didn't sound like "A Night at the Opera" didn't sound like "Hot Space" didn't sound like "the Game" didn't sound like "Innuendo."

Artists can and should evolve, so I get your complaint for the most part.

Then again, if something is good, more of the same isn't a bad thing either. The lack of sameness simply shouldn't be grounds to

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Stasisesque said:
Another great thing about the internet is that you can appear knowledgeable about a subject. For example, do you realise "fish" are a paraphyletic grouping, not a polyphyletic one?
Oh dear, you caught a dyslexic looking at two separate terms and getting the wrong one. Yes, clearly I was trying to "appear" knowledgeable.

Even though I just stated otherwise.

Huh. If you're not going to do research unless challenged, at least read the post you're on about.

Yes yes, for the lulz, why should anyone care about information, spreading false statements is okay because QI said it, etc.

(Well, sauce for the goose and all that).

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Stasisesque said:
Oh dear, you caught a dyslexic looking at two separate terms and getting the wrong one. Yes, clearly I was trying to "appear" knowledgeable.

Even though I just stated otherwise.

Huh. If you're not going to do research unless challenged, at least read the post you're on about.

Yes yes, for the lulz, why should anyone care about information, spreading false statements is okay because QI said it, etc.

(Well, sauce for the goose and all that).
No... I was trying to appear knowledgeable. I don't know the first thing about taxonomy, marine biology or fish in general. Again, that was the point, I'd made it very clear I didn't in previous posts.

And again, there is a very good reason I said "according to QI" and not "this is a fact". I know very well that a comedy panel show isn't a basis for academic discussion and I am certain everyone else does too.

I tell you what, to get back on topic, this entire discussion is something that has left me baffled. I have no idea if you're right because I have not done the research. I'm probably not going to do the research, but as paraphyletic means a grouping that share a common ancestor but does not include all species within that group, we can at least agree that the "no common ancestor" point is false. So can we please leave it at that?

Promethax

Dec 7, 2010
You haven't known "baffling" until you've seen the movie "The Devil's Rejects". Rob Zombie should be banned from being given complete creative control over any movie ever again.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I imagine he'd be most displeased but then again I've read that he was trying to write a pop song, can't remember where I read that though. I always find it funny how Cobain hated the mainstream and they are now the (probably)most popular band of the 90s, I bet he's turning in his grave.

Wow, that's a drastic change in style. At least they admit they soldout.

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
piinyouri said:
(Majority of)Borderlands 2 forum posters.

The game is already about to snap in two from the immense strain increased numbers is putting on it, and people asked for MORE levels.
But....but.....how will people with modded equipment feel they are accomplishing anything?!

Seriously, I can confirm (at least on the xbox version) that at least half the people in matchmaking are equipped with 1 million damage per shot sub machine guns. These are the people screaming for a lvl cap increase.

Which really flumoxes me. Whats the point of even playing if there is littrally zero challenge and zero point in getting new gear?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm baffled by how Halo 4 warrants a sequel. Yes I know that a trilogy was confirmed before it was released but... really? The ending, as awful as it is, actually closes the whole Master Chief story up.

But oh no, those pesky Flood rip-offs will be back next game because killing the main villain doesn't mean killing the main villain.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
WTF did I just watch.
I used to like Miley as a disney child star.
i think it is ok for her to want to grow up.
I just dont understand why she has to go around doing stuff like..that. lol

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
Evonisia said:
I'm baffled by how Halo 4 warrants a sequel. Yes I know that a trilogy was confirmed before it was released but... really? The ending, as awful as it is, actually closes the whole Master Chief story up.

But oh no, those pesky Flood rip-offs will be back next game because killing the main villain doesn't mean killing the main villain.
Oh god i hated those bloody things, from the dogs carrying shotguns, to the 1 hit kill snipers. On NORMAL DIFFICULTY.

I thought reach's brutes were overpowered bullet spnges but they look like mice compared to the big guys.
oh, and there is a unit with shields that revives the dead. who thought that would be balanced?

*continues ranting angrily about how the franchise is ruined*

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Actually, TV baffles me. I've been without it for well over a year now, and every time I happen to be watching it outside of my home, I just sit and think "How is TV still a popular medium?". It's just so braindead.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
One the comment my Ex-Girlfriend is now the one ex I intensely (or even at all) dislike. Here is the quote "It is sad that your religion is engrained in your DNA I want to be able to alter it so that all people may one day be Christian" To which I responded with laughter thinking she was joking but no dead serious and told me to look up the genome and I did and she nor I could find faith gene so she got pissed and blamed fake organizations like the NWO and said again quote "***** if you do not accept this lets break up!" mt response being well sounds fantastic thus ending my 14 day relationship and frankly worst person I ever called friend.

Yeah... baffled, perplexed, moderately angry but most of all interested in such idiocy as it was exceptionally humorous.