Things that make no sense to you in video games

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
ExiusXavarus said:
So, I was playing Assassin's Creed and it finally clicked with me while I was taking down wanted posters, that a lot of them are way up on top of buildings. Generally out of sight to the random passerby. Now of course, I know this isn't true of all wanted posters, but a vast majority of the posters I took down were on the upper area of a building. Wouldn't the whole purpose of a wanted poster to be that people can SEE it and alert authorities of the subject? Hardly effective if they're up out of sight.

So I ask you, my fellow Escapists, what sort of anomalies have you come across in your video games that just made you take a second and think: Wtf?
I noticed this about AC as well.

My one is 'You Private, went against several direct orders, violated international law and may well have started a war between 2 superpowers. But you got the bad guy, so all is well. Here, have a medal'

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Inconsistent injuries, why do you not show damage when an enemy bullet or hatchet just took a chunk outa' you?! Halo, Crysis and others with armor get off scot-free here but what about every single other game in the world?!

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
IronStorm9 said:
Dawkter said:
IronStorm9 said:
Dawkter said:
Pokemon.

What the fuck? I can just waltz in anyone's house and no one would care?

Also there are more PokeCenters then there are hospitals? What, our animal thingy slaves deserve more healthcare than us now?
I think what's stranger is the fact that there never seem to be enough houses for everyone you see in a town. For example, there are only three buildings in Pallet Town in the original game: Your house, your rival's house, and Oak's lab; but there are 2-3 other people in Pallet Town who constantly stand outside. Where do they live?

Since we're talking about Pokemon, How the hell does the professor from each game know when you're about to use an item when you shouldn't? When you try to ride the bike indoors in the first game, Professor Oak would say something like, "This isn't the time to use that," no matter how far from Pallet Town you were at the time. How the hell does he know? The only plausible explanation is that he is an incredibly powerful telepath who can read people's minds from miles away.
And why are the Elite 4 champions constantly there? Do they have lives or do they just sit inside, imprisoning passer-bys to unescapable battles?
And what about the trainers? Do they just stand there awaiting somebody to wander by so they can get uncomfortably close to them and then have their animals molest yours?
Also, why don't you become the Elite 4 Champion after beating him? I "blacked out" ten times getting this far, burned through 60 Hyper Potions and a shit-ton of Revives, and all I get is my Pokemon in the hall of fame? Bullshit! I wanna put some noob trainers in their place!
They can also convert Pokemon and items into data and store them on a computer, have a magnet train as well as a hydrojet boat, and several gyms have teleporter panels, yet everybody drops out of school at the age of ten to go train Pokemon. Futhermore, there are numerous instances of children younger than ten training, but I remember something along the lines of "You gotta be ten to get your trainer's license" or whatever. Also, how do you support a nation whose primary form of currency exchange is battling and buying potions and Pokeballs? Assuming no other characters use the shop (They do just stand in one place after all), the player character is supporting the ENTIRE economy of the region the game is set in.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Easton Dark said:
Immediately I wonder about CoD health regeneration.

And well I'm there: Mmmmmmm, strawberry jelly on my eyes.
I'd say it's more like strawberry jam... Oh wait.

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
Where the hell do you put all your ammo?

I can understand the effects of the bag of holding for carrying an entire arsenal on your person...and how reaching in to grab a rocket launcher or a sniper rifle shouldn't be too time consuming...

but wouldn't it be hard to shift through the mounds of ammo in your bag of holding for the one specific gun you're using?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
How the maximum punishment in Red Dead besides outright death is a few days in jail to "think about what you did"

Juventus

Feb 28, 2011
why is it in a lot of japanese rpgs, when you are about to control the main chaarcter, the party members get absorbed in the body of the main character? how does that work?

also how come i have to do your shitty fetch quest? even though i have godlike powers and you are nothing but a weak peasant, i still have to go find your lost puppy to get the piece of armor?

why is it in yakuza 3 and 4, i need to go to a telephone booth to save, or move items? how the fuck does that make any sense?

hagar2

A RoMAN
Jul 24, 2010
how is it in the first assassins creed you could turn a corner sit on a bench and blend in. also what the hell with the super powers in tekken! why cant they just be regular fighters with no lightning!

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Nooners said:
campofapproval said:
i like to pretend the "health regeneration" in games like cod, killzone, halo etc. isn't really my character getting shot as much as combat-related stress and/or the increasing likelihood i'll get shot (and killed,.) staying out of fire for a few seconds means i won't get hit, and gives me a breather. it works.
My god, I love it. So simple, and yet so great. +5 Internets to you, good sir.
I'm pretty sure that's the actual way they explained it in the Brothers in Arms series, or some other similar ww2 fps.

Anyway, this thread could be endless from when I had less of a suspension of disbelief, but pretty much the entirety of X-Com. I mean, seriously? You start me with a few assault rifles and like 12 soldiers to defend against an entire alien threat on a strategic level all over the world? God damn. Priorities, people!

Sure, there's little things like drawing magic in FF8 or constantly regenerating health, but I've never seen the basis of a gameplay element be so odd as "respawning" in games like Unreal Tournament. In Quake 3, okay, the Vandrigar are resurrecting you to fight in their arenas forever for their amusement. In Doom, maybe it's just some weird form of hell or some other magical/mystical/demonic explanation. UT doesn't have that. It says yes, this is semi-real, yes, we have criminals fight for entertainment and make money off it. Alright, makes sense, but if they die, how come they don't...die? How do I see people later on in the tournament when I killed them the first level (Blake)? How come robots are the champions? Why did in the first game Xan seem to be a guy in a suit, then in 2K4 they're like "nope he was a robot LOOOL"

And why in UT3 did they try to make it logical "technology is reanimating you and it can only do it so many times so you need to kill them more to drain the power from their regenerators", and it was fucking retarded.

Also, how about in Fallout 3 when you are "walking" to be stealthy and then melee some guy directly in his face and he goes around shouting "WHERE? COME OUT AND FIGHT YOU COWARD?" and you can crouch directly on top of him and he says "HMM WHERE'D HE GO" and lose aggro?

Also, how about the entire concept of aggro? Dang!

TL;DR: Things don't really have to make sense in games, but it's funny when they don't.

kijebe

May 6, 2011
well, when i was palying fallout 3, somebody shot a rocket launcher at me just as i started a discussion with somebody, and it froze in mid-air = the longest discussion on earth

another is in just cause 2, where if your going 300 mph on a bike going off a cliff, some soildier with a shotgun 100 m away can still track, shoot and kill you

finally, in left 4 dead 2, haveing something grab you with his toungue does more damage then having a gas can blow up in your face or lighting yourself on fire

kijebe

May 6, 2011
speaking of which, how do you blend in with priests in the first one while carrying all that weaponry? (assasins creed one that is)

Relnik

Oct 5, 2010
in modern warfare one when a nuke goes off on earth and somehow the shockwave travels through the vacuum of space

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Assassins creed 2 was full of this shit. Like how nobody aged and your sister sat in the same fucking chair for 20 years.

I still can't get over the fucking flashlight from Doom 3.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
I hate how when an enemy gets shot in the lower torso they die immediately. That doesn't happen in real life, in real life it takes a bit longer, with a period of rolling on the floor in agony. Same goes for shooting someone in the arm, in fact, in that case they'd probably survive.

Also, someone may have already said this, but...commando. Realistic military shooter my ass.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Bullet Damage in all Shooters, It doesn't matter if I'm shooting a pistol or a nuke launching gun It should at lease slow you down and NOT take your entire clip of ammo to kill someone.
But I remember its all games and if someone made a TRULY 100% realistic game based around shooting, too many would complain and it would never be played.

SO I guess Its better to enjoy the chaos?

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
How come Rico in Just Cause 2 can avoid falling to his death by hook-shotting the ground and pulling himself to the ground?

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Easton Dark said:
Immediately I wonder about CoD health regeneration.

And well I'm there: Mmmmmmm, strawberry jelly on my eyes.
Hit points don't do much better either. I don't know if it's the small red bar just in your field of vision, or the idea that you can reattach an arm simply by licking a few first aid kits you find on the floor.