Things that should be be standard by now.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
..(ahem), cleavage, of course. Look down, there you go, well rendered, sweaty boobs, with a convenient, highly inneficient opening in your character's amour to boot!

It's a good idea, but it's usually not important for games without platforming. And even then, 1st person is not a good perspective for platformers, which is why Portal was so good (it has the Portal gun, and kept platforming to a minimum) and why Mirror's Edge sucked balls.

There should also be re=bindable controls in most games, and FOV slide, player-custom stat allocation for more strategical games (at least for the Protagonist), less sexualisation in what is supposed to be battle armour (So, I'm supposed to believe that a tiny, short, huge-boobed chick with a sword with a huge window for her cleave and hips so I can see her thong, is nearly as strong or well-defended as the 6-foot, musclebound, rough guy with biceps the width of a pizza?), the first female character to join you should not always be the healer, female party members should not focus on magic because that's implying women are weak (most women can kick my ass. Then again, that's probalby a fault of my own) and that the men are idiots who can't tie their shoelaces.

/half-minded rant

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Doom-Slayer said:
No region specific pricing for games. Call of Duty Ghosts is $90USD on Steam for me, thats $110NZD, that is completely ridiculous.

Same with region coding/blocking on basically anything. There is no excuse.
Basically this...what baffles me is how inconsistent Nintendo has been here: All of their handhelds for example have been mostly region free up until the 3DS. Luckily at this point though the Vita, PS4 and I think XBone are all region free. It still sucks to have to pay import fees but I like knowing I have the option to order a game that won't being released in my home-nation.

Speaking of, I don't see why it isn't standard to have both/all vocal tracks when it comes to fully-voiced games. Game discs (and carts/cards...whatever the 3DS/Vita things are called) at this point can hold tons of data after all so there's no reason to not include everything that was made for the game instead of excluding those features based on the region said game is going to be sold in.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Crossplay is my main bugbear, considering we are supposed to be in the so called MP age and every 3rd party is a multiplat, they why are most MP games with a hint of niche dead after a month of play with most XBLA games not even lasting that long.
Either release niche MP games on one platform only to keep the playerbase together or use crossplay.

Like many others rebindable controls should be in all games not just PC games. I'm sick to death of modern indie arcade games not having this feature with 2D beat em ups by far the worst genre when I've got an arcade stick sat on the shelf gathering dust and all of them have block or dodge mapped to a trigger and on the official 360 pad has a massive deadzone, also along with all the fast none telegraphed attacks the enemies of modern brawlers do makes block rather useless. Fuck even Charlie Murder a rather newish addition to the genre makes the same mistake. (deep breath)

Don't agree on quicksave been included in every game, it's a rather shitty thing for convenience that destroys a games difficulty and balancing. Why bother designing a game with proper balancing when everyone can quicksave spam passed every stupid difficulty spike in the game.

bee14ish

Jan 3, 2014
Bot modes for FPS games. I suck at them, and I know that I should be trying to get better instead of playing with bots, but there are those times where I imagine what it'd be like to actually be good at this game, and a bot mode would allow me to do that. For example, in Call of Duty, I get my ass kicked online, go to the bot mode and get a hundred plus game, that type of stuff. A bot mode with the ability to level up like in multiplayer like in Black Ops, combined with the ability to edit matches, rules, maps, etc. like in BO2(maybe a bit more customizability), combined with the bot quality of the UT bots would be the perfect bot mode to me. Recent Battlefield games need to incorporate this into their games, IMO.

EDIT: Also, the ability to change settings in-game would be nice, though not necessary. Sometimes I put the difficulty up a bit too high, so to be able to lower it mid-game would kinda add to the "immersion" and give you that "comeback" feeling. Idk now I'm just throwing out ideas.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Field of View (FoV) sliders. Some people get sick from narrow FoV games so games that constantly limit FoV below 90 degrees run the risk of literally making individuals sick from playing their game. In some cases I can understand, like say a character is wearing goggles. However we shouldnt see anymore FPS games with FoV's around 70 degrees anymore because some people are proven to get sick when exposed to such games for prolonged periods of time

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
All games should have these features:
-The ability to change the FOV if the game is in first person and at least three camera options in third person games;near, medium and far.
-Colourblind options.
-Fully remappable controls.
-Adjustable HUD scales. Not everyone is playing on the same size screen from the same distance.
-Skippable logo screens at the start of games (unless you the game is actually loading)
-The ability to pause cut-scenes (Or the ability to pause the game in general, I'm looking at you Dark Souls)
-The ability to skip cut-scenes

PC specific features:
-The ability to turn mouse acceleration off, and adjust mouse sensitivity.
-Borderless window mode
-V-Sync on/off
-All PC games should have an options menu that is as good or better than Starcraft II's

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Writing that doesn't suck. That really should be standard by know (I said it should, not that it was plausible) but sadly that's a LONG way off, if ever.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
erttheking said:
Writing that doesn't suck. That really should be standard by know (I said it should, not that it was plausible) but sadly that's a LONG way off, if ever.
That's more subjective though, isn't it?

And it's not like the majority of movies and TV series don't suffer from this just as well.

OT. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, especially at the dawn of a new generation; Backwards compatability. I'm not a stickler for this feature, but just imagine a world where games don't die out along with their original platform... Pretty sweet, huh.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
erttheking said:
That's more subjective though, isn't it?

And it's not like the majority of movies and TV series don't suffer from this just as well.

OT. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, especially at the dawn of a new generation; Backwards compatability. I'm not a stickler for this feature, but just imagine a world where games don't die out along with their original platform... Pretty sweet, huh.
Yeah it is. Maybe I should've rephrased it to trying to tell a good story, because I'm pretty sure there are a fair few where they don't.

Like I said, I said it should be that way, I didn't say it being that way was plausible.