Things You Can't Prove, But Believe

platinawolf

Oct 27, 2009
Things I believe in but can't prove? Gosh, that's a list ^^* From mundane things like true love, magic and luck to a little more strange things like Reality or the existence of others as independent entities. Yeah, I'm a tad nuts ^^* Nothing can be proven, in the end all we can do is play whatever part we are handed and see what happens. Sure, we can try to fight our "fate" but would that not be part of our fate as well?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
That we are not all brains in jars connected up to the Matrix.

I can't prove that. But I sure as hell believe it. ...at least I sometimes believe it. I have my doubts.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Moon definitely effects the behavior of people, and animals for that matter. I have seen, and talked to people who have seen, way too much evidence of this to believe otherwise. And to get out there ahead of time, I've heard the confirmation bias theory, and it doesn't explain my observations, or those of my family. And other than religion, there isn't much else that I believe but can't prove. However, take like ghosts and bigfoot, and nessy, and pretty much everything out there like that: I don't believe they exist, but I think it's more likely that they do, then it is that they don't. Simply an extension of the believe that there is far more in the universe that we don't know, than there is that we know.

I don't think JFK was shot by a lone gunman. I've fired a bolt action rifle, they don't fire that accurately that quickly.

I believe in luck and unluck. My friend jon is perfect example of luck, i am perfect example of unluck.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
That parallel worlds exists, and that every thought we have is currently someone else's event.

So currently, another you is sleeping with that chick/guy you shyly like.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
I can't prove most of the things I learn at university, since I don't have hundreds of thousands of years to re-run every study and experiment ever done. But I trust the scientific method and understand its limitations :p

So +1 to that response

Captain Pirate said:
Well obviously.
But do those animals speak multiple languages, or have cars?
Do they do art, or science?
No, and that's my point. We're so different in other ways than genes and common behaviour.
A lot of birds speak quickly evolving languages that change regionally, and some species have been shown to display surprising levels of comprehension. A lot of the more intelligent species

We're not that different, we were just first. Most of your other points are using very anthropocentric criteria... of course other animals aren't as advanced as us in the areas that we are most advanced...

keinechance

Mar 12, 2010
Captain Pirate said:
keinechance said:
It is.

But the reason I am having this discussion with you is your first post:

Some form of God.
Now, before you all have a rant at me, I said 'some form of'. Not "The Christian God" or any other one, but some kind of creator.
I just find it immensely hard to believe that we, humans, who have advanced beyond our primal instincts so much that we barely resemble our fellow animals, happened by accident.
The world is too awesome for me to just think it was all random.
What you are essentially saying is: " I believe a God exists, because the whole planet is too incredible to come about without some God."

You are essentially saying this incredible planet is your "proof" of a God.

And I object to your saying that this is "proof" of a God.

If you had said: "I believe in some form of God, even if I have no proof.", I wouldn't have bothered you with my posts.
Fair enough, but I didn't mention it as I assumed it was a given, due to the title of the thread already saying "Things you can't prove, but believe."
Alright, than I apologize if I misinterpreted your post.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Dryk said:
A lot of birds speak quickly evolving languages that change regionally, and some species have been shown to display surprising levels of comprehension. A lot of the more intelligent species

We're not that different, we were just first. Most of your other points are using very anthropocentric criteria... of course other animals aren't as advanced as us in the areas that we are most advanced...
Like I've already said, the entire planet's natural complexity and beauty makes me believe in some form of creator/god. I just used humans as a primary example.

keinechance said:
Alright, than I apologize if I misinterpreted your post.
No worries :)

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
That somewhere, off on some distant planet in a far off galaxy, are aliens every bit as advanced as us.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Terminate421 said:
Abedeus said:
Terminate421 said:
God exists. I know he's there but I cannot prove it. Doesnt mean I am wrong at all.
Actually if you say "God exists and that's a fact", you do have to have some kind of proof.

Also, which god? Zeus? Hera? Poseidon? Or one of the less popular ones?
I'm catholic so the only name we have for God is, ironically enough, God.

I also believe Jesus died for our sins. etc. But I do not take the bible word for word, I respect others and follow the phrase "Hate the sin, love the sinner" (Thanks for at least being respectful, I so much as say the word Jesus and I am harassed for believing because "lolz u belive in GoD")
I was being respectful? Wasn't trying to come off as such. Your views are illogical and make as much sense as believing in unicorns.

Also, evolution proved there was no Adam and Eve and entire Genesis story is invalid, therefore Jesus didn't die for the original sin. Nor for other sins, since we are still accountable for them (according to Christianity) and have to confess them and beg for being alive and so on.

The biggest mystery of modern times - Christians who know evolution is true and yet don't find it strange that although Adam and Eve are a metaphor, the original sin somehow isn't... Then again, you did pull the "I'm being oppressed for being Christian" card. You can use it when you are not the majority in most of the countries east of Russia. And west of Japan.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Alcamonic said:
That parallel worlds exists, and that every thought we have is currently someone else's event.

So currently, another you is sleeping with that chick/guy you shyly like.
Math proved that. 10 dimension theory is commonly accepted.

There are even universes where laws of physics, while giving stability, are different. Some of them have different gravity values, some have different temperature of suns, or amount of subatomic particles in some elements. As long as the whole thing doesn't collapse right after it started, it exists.

Also, universes where dinosaurs exist, where humans have common ancestor not with the primates, but crocodiles or elephants, where you died last Tuesday in a meteor crash... now, how MANY of those parallel/alternative universes exist, that is a matter of debate - limited or unlimited.

http://www.youtube.com/user/10thdim?feature=g-all-c

This is an amazing presentation in several easy to understand videos.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Everything we believe is unprovable because nothing can be proven beyond solipsism. We can only go with what works for us, for our experience with the universe. And then yell at anyone who disagrees with our perception of how things work, and act like they are Hitler.

spartan231490 said:
I don't think JFK was shot by a lone gunman. I've fired a bolt action rifle, they don't fire that accurately that quickly.
Simo Hayha begs to differ :crosses arms: :puts on sunglasses:

Abedeus said:
Also, evolution proved there was no Adam and Eve and entire Genesis story is invalid
Uh, no it doesn't. Welcome to metaphysics 101, you can't prove or disprove God. God would easily be capable of creating Adam and Eve just as the story says, and creating evolution at the same time. It's a matter of when the system originated, and Gods ability to fabricate anything including evidence. Poor logic skills are not an argument for God's nonexistence.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Mycroft Holmes said:
Uh, no it doesn't. Welcome to metaphysics 101, you can't prove or disprove God. God would easily be capable of creating Adam and Eve just as the story says, and creating evolution at the same time. It's a matter of when the system originated, and Gods ability to fabricate anything including evidence. Poor logic skills are not an argument for God's nonexistence.
Welcome to Occam's Razor.

I can disprove God by stating few paradoxes: thou shalt not kill. Unless it's a witch, adulterer, thief, someone having sex outside marriage, homosexuals and so on. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife or property. Unless God tells you to, then you have to fuck your dead brother's wife or you'll get smitten.

And of course, Genesis says that men have one rib less, are made out of mud and that God created light before creating light source, or that Moon is a light source.

Science proved that Genesis is a load of crap, like most of the Bible. And Occam's Razor allows us to cut out any entity that isn't necessary for something to happen.

Also, God is supposed to be perfect and he created us in his image. So why do we have two organs that are redundant, but can burst and kill us? Our skulls are not big enough for all of our teeth anymore, and our center of pleasure (ding-dongs and hoo-haas) is in the middle of sewage. That's kind of weird that a perfect, omnipotent and all-knowing God would create such crappy copies of himself. And if he did that on purpose, to make our lives harder and make sure without science most of us wouldn't live past 30, that cancels out his benevolence.

Sorry, but while the burden of proof lies on the one making claim (thus there is no NEED to deny deities or magic or spirits), logic defies all modern gods.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Abedeus said:
Terminate421 said:
Abedeus said:
Terminate421 said:
God exists. I know he's there but I cannot prove it. Doesnt mean I am wrong at all.
Actually if you say "God exists and that's a fact", you do have to have some kind of proof.

I also believe Jesus died for our sins. etc. But I do not take the bible word for word, I respect others and follow the phrase "Hate the sin, love the sinner" (Thanks for at least being respectful, I so much as say the word Jesus and I am harassed for believing because "lolz u belive in GoD")
I was being respectful? Wasn't trying to come off as such. Your views are illogical and make as much sense as believing in unicorns.

Also, evolution proved there was no Adam and Eve and entire Genesis story is invalid, therefore Jesus didn't die for the original sin. Nor for other sins, since we are still accountable for them (according to Christianity) and have to confess them and beg for being alive and so on.

The biggest mystery of modern times - Christians who know evolution is true and yet don't find it strange that although Adam and Eve are a metaphor, the original sin somehow isn't... Then again, you did pull the "I'm being oppressed for being Christian" card. You can use it when you are not the majority in most of the countries east of Russia. And west of Japan.
Wait....

You know what? You have some goddamn nerve about the size of Bob Chipman to tell me and about several billion people that we are all wrong and idiots. Congratufuckinglations you just ruined my day and made yourself look like a douchebag.

How about you read what this damned thread was about. Things you believe in but have no proof of. There is no physical way to prove god exists, the same could be said by evolution through natural selection. This is not to say that I do not find natural selection nonexistent. I do not however believe we came from monkeys.

Choose your next words wisely. Not out of fear but for your own fucking dignity. You must have reached a new damn low to do something like this. And befor you bring up "oh religion has caused problems too!" yeah, I know that and I admit it, but that does not mean its wrong or does it mean we are idiots, it means we believed in something and stood by it. Not by evolution l, pride, culture, or ignorance, but because we wanted to.

I'd write an entire novel as to how pissed I am at you but right now, I typed this on iPhone so I have little access to garunteed service.

EDIT: I am aware of how evolution by natural selection works etc. If you have something to say, please read my later posts, I am not against other's religions, nor am I one to deny science.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Terminate421 said:
Abedeus said:
Terminate421 said:
Abedeus said:
Terminate421 said:

Wait....

You know what? You have some goddamn nerve about the size of Bob Chipman to tell me and about several billion people that we are all wrong and idiots. Congratufuckinglations you just ruined my day and made yourself look like a douchebag.

How about you read what this damned thread was about. Things you believe in but have no proof of. There is no physical way to prove god exists, the same could be said by evolution through natural selection. This is not to say that I do not find natural selection nonexistent. I do not however believe we came from monkeys.

Choose your next words wisely. Not out of fear but for your own fucking dignity. You must have reached a new damn low to do something like this. And befor you bring up "oh religion has caused problems too!" yeah, I know that and I admit it, but that does not mean its wrong or does it mean we are idiots, it means we believed in something and stood by it. Not by evolution l, pride, culture, or ignorance, but because we wanted to.

I'd write an entire novel as to how pissed I am at you but right now, I typed this on iPhone so I have little access to garunteed service.
Appeal to popularity, ad hominem, ad hominem, ignorance (heh, "I don't believe we came from monkeys", way to show your lack of understanding of Evolution), threats...

I'm sorry that you and "several" (3 at most, and most likely over half of them are like Jews - tradition and nothing else, at least those more educated) billions of people listen to what goat herders talked about for some time, then someone wrote it down and edited it out a thousand and one times, has been proven wrong at every step and abused for thousands of years.

No, religion isn't wrong because it did bad things. It's wrong because it still does them (suppressing rights of minorities, telling people in AIDS-infested countries that condoms are bad, hiding pedophile priests, suicide bombing, civil wars and so on) and because it teaches you, how you nicely proved, to be satisfied by what you believe, and not what is real.

Thread indeed is about "things you believe but can't prove". However, "I believe" and "I know for a fact" like you claim to know for a fact that God exists, are two different things. And if someone pointing out flaws in your religion angers you so much, your faith must be really shaky.

And I would've written a novel on how I'm pissed at people who think evolution means "WE CAME FROM MONKEYS HURRR", but there are already several textbooks that people read in high school and sometimes before that. And for more advanced knowledge, more books! I do suggest "The Selfish Gene", it explains nicely why the fundie... I mean, the uneducated view on Evolution is so misplaced and inaccurate.

0z0wen

Feb 11, 2009
An afterlife, of some kind. I want to believe it. Because I'll be perfectly honest. Death scares the fuck out of me. So I like the idea that there is something afterwards, reincarnation sounds nice...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Aliens I guess, not necessarily that they visit us, but they exist somewhere out there, mainly because it seems bizarre that humans could be the only intelligent life in the entire universe.

Other than that, nothing really, granted there are lots of things I believe that I cant personally prove, but there's evidence for it that I can reference.

Relish in Chaos said:
-Time travel doesn?t and never will exist, because neither the past nor the future necessarily exists since the past has been and gone, while the future hasn?t even happened yet. If someone had travelled back in time to kill Hitler or something, we?d know about it, but no sign of anything like that.
The thing is, that depends on how time exists, it could either be a linear series of events, in which case the future hasn't happened yet, while the past ceases to exist but did exist. Or it could be Dr Who Wibbly Wobbly Timy Wimy which is to say(I wont get into the Future Doctor problem here) all time exists at the same time, (such as how people can call other people in the past/future, and the Tardis travels THROUGH time as opposed to turning it back or forward)

If someone were to go back and kill Hitler before WW2, we wouldn't know about it, because time would have to reshuffle and history would be changed, thus WW2 wouldn't have happened. I mean for all we know Hitler did win the war, but someone went back and changed events causing the Allies to win instead.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
TheBobmus said:
Crime is affected by myriads of factors...
Indeed it is. [http://www.cracked.com/article_19489_5-terrible-ideas-that-solved-huge-global-problems.html]

OT: I try not to believe in things that lack evidence, but in the end, everyone makes base assumptions.

One of the things that sticks out to me is that I can't help but feel that I have free will, despite knowing full well that every action I've made and thought I've had was the result of events in my body that I had no actual control over.

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
I believe that the Earth is not the only planet in the universe to contain life, and that life on other planets evolved following mechanisms similar to earth evolution.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I believe no one seems to know what real karma is (or at least the kind of karma I've heard people talk about) karma is things you've done in the past life (not that there is such a thing) that effect you in your current one (which is still a load of BS anyways)