Things you feel bad about in videogames (Spoilers might be present)

Svartfalk

Jun 28, 2010
I recently started a new character in Fallout 3 and, hvaning played only good guys, thought it was time to play a bad guy. Then I remembered what happened the last time I did that.

SPOILER!
In the quest "Power of the Atom" you are given the choise of either blowing up the town of Megaton by setting of the landmark nuclear bomb in the middle of it or telling the sherrif on the guy who gave you the first option.
As I had already made up my mind about playing as a bad guy, I of course rig the bomb to explode and then go to Tenpenny Tower.
When I'm there, after some dialog, I get to press the button and se this lovely little town turn into a pile of radioactive dust.
At that moment, my throat tied up, I felt tear flowing into my eyes and images of Moira, Lucas Simms, Moriarty and Gob flashed in my mind.

I have never, before or since, felt so bad about a action I took in a videogame.

SO, now that I have dragged you all through my (oh, so heartbreaking) story, have you ever felt bad about something you did in a videogame?

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Biggest one for me is killing neutral NPC's in the Stalker series.
They're just average Zone-faring guys looking to make what living they can in this hellhole, pretty much just like you. They're not necessarily bad or great, yet you can go around and kill them for their gear, ammo, artifacts, or sometimes for no reason at all.
I always felt like a total dick whenever I shot a guy in his sleep, looted him and hid his body in the bushes, but he had ammo, meds and high quality guns and I didn't so...

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
The evil sonuvabitch that I am, I killed the guy who gave me the quest to assassinate the Emperor in Skyrim just after he'd payed me. It would have been fine, except right as he dies he says, 'I thought we had a deal!...' in this pitiful voice. For some wierd reason I felt so awful that I had to reload my last save and allow him to live.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Being a scum in BlazBlue and using the classic underhanded, spammy Noel we all know and love. I do feel genuinely bad about it sometimes.

"Oh you're pressing buttons are you? Well... FENIR DON'T FAIL ME! EYAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!"

Gotcha :3

Don't worry, I play Mu-12, Makoto or Hazama most of the time so you're safe from my autocombo spam 9/10 times.

Oh and successfully demolishing an enemy AD Carry in LoL... Sorry man, I'm just doing what must be done. Nothing personal.

[sub][sub]Unless you're playing Vayne, then it's personal. I hate that slag[/sub][/sub]

Rickin10

Mar 16, 2013
2 Recent ones on Mass Effect 3. SPOILERS!!!!

Killed Mordin to stop him curing the Genophage after lying to a coughing and spluttering Eve, then killed Wrex when he found out I played him. Wow, did I feel like a shit!

I also didn't shoot Ashley during the 'Udina Incident'. After all that endless whining and bitching and spouting nauseating family anecdotes and pointing a gun at me..... I let her live. I haven't been able to look myself in the eye since.

fezgod

Dec 7, 2012
Well you don't really have any control over it in Farcry 3 I felt that
when you torture your brother was pretty fucked up. He's tied in a cell and he immediately looks hopeful when you walk into the room but then Jason just covers his mouth and beats the shit out of him. Before Sam disables the camera, you can tell that Riley has no idea what is going on and is fucking terrified of you.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
In DX:HR, I always felt a bit bad if I killed Sarif during the end. He is so..nice to you, through out the game.
Well, besides butchering your body and hiring a private investigator.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
At the end of Mass Effect 1, I had maxed my paragon and needed some more points in Renegade to do a stupid ass distraction side quest on the planet you save that bug queen (don't make me bother to remember) from. So I found my Adoring Fan and acted like a dick to him. I felt really bad when he started crying away from me. I didn't even get enough to complete that stupid distraction mission so fuck my jerk ass.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The Dark Brotherhood.

Purification.

Those words should be enough for a great many people.

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
Robbing the innocent zeppelin owners in Crimson Skies: Highroad to Revenge on the original Xbox. "Just take it and go, it's all we got!" Making me feel like a douche.

Also, Leaving Sev at the end of Republic Commando. Gat dang! Why you gotta do that to me Star Wars? Why can't we just get our sequel?!!

Gemanks

Jun 8, 2012
I find it funny how many of the above decisions didn't make me feel bad.

There is however one thing that stands out to me as arguably the worst thing I've ever had to do in a game..
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Unicorn..

Worst thing I've ever done.. I couldn't bear it after having killed it so I reloaded and went back just to admire it instead.. Perhaps a stroke of luck but when I went there I was set upon by ogres and the Unicorn came to my rescue and fought the ogres and died in its attempts.. So in the end I managed to complete the quest without killing the Unicorn, but I still can't think of the quest without feeling sad about it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I feel bad when I kill/hurt a dog and they make that heart-wrenching high-pitched whimper sound. It just pulls my heart strings.

GeneralBigG

Environmentalist Clarksonian
Jun 26, 2012
Playing Borderlands and killing any human enemy with a corrosive attack. The kill animation of their body dissolving from the acid/poison looks awesome, but the scream they make, just creeps me the fuck right out and I feel terrible for making them die so horribly. And yet, I have no problem setting them on fire, making their brains pop out of their skull with lightning, making them explode or killing them in general. Video game morality, huh?

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
I don't feel badly about anything I do in games, even when I grief actual players. I've never been emotionally moved by a game whatsoever. Even Heavy Rain and SpecOps: The Line had no effect on me. I think that's probably why I come off as hypercritical of everything; when people are watching movies or tv shows, or playing games, and they're emotionally involved, they just don't notice all the mistakes and flaws. I'm sitting there wondering why Rick's gun isn't moving as he puts a burned orphan out of its misery. It's also possible that Spec Ops: The Line and Heavy Rain sucked as much as I thought they did, but then TWD, which is good, didn't really move me, either, and I purposely let Clem enjoy her meal. Clean your plate, sweat pea.

Having said that, I have a hard time taking risks in games if I think I'll miss out on content. Nuking Megaton was something I very much wanted to do as soon as I had the option but I ended up waiting until I did the quests first so I could see everything the game had to offer. I could have just played another character, a good one, but that sounds intolerable.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I actually felt bad for looting houses in Tales of Graces...

I was in a town called Velanik which is inspired by the Soviet Union's way of dealing with poverty. Kids are freezing to death by finding cryas to heat their houses and food is scarce. I walk into a house and take 3 tuna. Yeah, I felt like a dick.

Amanda Diamond

Nov 2, 2011
Not being able to keep people alive/ rescue them. Especially bugged me in skyrim, I'd happen upon some house and discover the inhabitants butchered and wonder "is there someway I could have gotten there in time?" It's silly I know.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Not really...I actually liked blowing up Megaton. I tend to play evil characters.

The only moments that made me feel bad in games was when the NPC companions I liked, died. Like the times when Rex or Dogmeat were killed. I reload no matter what. I also never kill dogs in the Witcher, for the quest of dog tallow. I just save it or buy it.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I tend to dislike killing anyone in video games. even in wide open sandbox games whose chief appeal is the opportunity to create chaos, like the GTA series, I'll typically just play it for the missions, never intentionally killing anyone I'm not asked to, and in games that give the option of pacifist runs, I'll usually take the option without thinking about it. I dislike even being too much of a jerk to NPCs in video games, which makes stories with good cop/bad cop options like Mass Effect and Deus Ex limited by my own taste as well. yeah, I'm that big a sissy.

surprisingly, megaton was the one exception to the rule. I didn't think I'd want to do it when I heard about the mission prior to buying the game, but Mr. Burke was just so damn affable.