Thinking about it, what is the stupidest fictional thing ever?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
bartholen said:
Trivun said:
bartholen said:
The sun's radiation causing the Earth's core to collapse or some shit. 2012? The Core?

A man who's had his heart removed has to constantly electrocute himself to stay alive. Crank, which was awesome...

When giant monsters attack we spend untold trillions of dollars to create gigantic robots to fight them in hand-to-hand combat (and get angst-ridden borderline psychotic teenagers to pilot them). First thought was Pacific Rim until I read 'teenagers'. Neon Genesis Evangelion.

A group of survivors get stranded on an island and after 6 seasons it turns out they were called there to stop Satan. Lost, which again was awesome...

The entire galaxy's greatest protector of peace is an ancient order of warrior monks who abduct children to their services at a very young age to forever live a life of unquestioning servitude, devoid of free will, emotion or sex. If you do any of those things, you get labeled as a heretic and a traitor.

Aliens whose only weakness is water attacking a planet that is 70% water inhabited by creatures whose bodies are 65-something % water. Signs.

When a ghost civilization has grown tired of existing only as a memory they bring a sports celebrity alive from themselves to kill the planet-terrorizing ancient monster that's serving as their life support.

A time traveler fights every monster you dreamed up when you were 10 years old, including ghosts that are actually aliens who create zombies to make their civilization survive.
Soooo... what are those from then? I can guess some (in bold above) but I'm stumped on the others... :p

As for me, anything where the characters break the laws established within the franchise itself in order to do something. I'm fine with crazy shit happening if the universe allows it, but as soon as those established laws are broken within the plot and no valid explanation (even just a one-liner) is given then everything goes flying out of the window as far as I'm concerned.
The ones left out were in order:
1. The Jedi order in the Star Wars prequels
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Doctor Who

I put the mention of teenagers in brackets because it was supposed to refer to giant mecha stories in general, with Evangelion being a special case. And I like most of the things I mentioned, it's just that most of the stories in entertainment in general are pretty stupid if you really think about them.
Goddammit I should have known those, I'm a massive fan of all three!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Skullknight not just killing Griffith when he was still a human, thereby avoiding the flipping apocalypse. That's one thing I never really got about Berserk.

The dude obviously knows way ahead of time that Griffith is to join the Godhand. And even if he doesn't know about his rebirth as the fucking anti-Christ on Earth, him joining the Godhand should be enough to want to avoid it. You could agrue he has his own agenda, in using the Eclispe ceremony to break into Hell and get a piece of Void, but still...

Thanks for being a dick, Skullknight.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Credossuck said:
bartholen said:
When a ghost civilization has grown tired of existing only as a memory they bring a sports celebrity alive from themselves to kill the planet-terrorizing ancient monster that's serving as their life support.
For a moment there i wanted to ask "Where is that from that sounds cool!"
Then i realized you were talking about FFX and now i think you are an inhuman monster hiding in the hollow shell of a human like thing, sitting in the head or torso and controling the body with way to few controls for the task. . .
Damn-it. The hu-maan has gifure us out. Abort plaaans to tak over E-art-H.

Seriously speaking, I never could understand why the Fayth had to create someone like Tidus. Even if he wasn't a sports celebrity with no prior combat experience to speak of, his personality would still be as appealing as feeding your private parts to a wood chipper.

And remember, the part I mentioned isn't even the focus of the story. It comes into play during like the last 6 hours of the game out of the 45 it took me to complete the thing. Now that I think about it, if it was the central focus, maybe FFX's story would have been a lot more interesting.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
A race of ancient, space-faring machines make a habit of letting organic life grow and evolve for 50 millennium, then show up and meticulously wipe all of it from the face of existence. But not before they pick one particular life-form out from a hat and build a giant robot by grinding up as much of that life-form as they can find and jamming the paste between metal plating.
Also apparently all intelligent life prior to 50 millennium ago consisted entirely of intelligent cuttlefish.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
You know what? I like giant robots. No, that came out wrong. I freakin LOVE giant robots. But the whole concept is ridiculous.

Still:

WHO! DIGS! GI-ANT RO-BOTS?!
I! DIG! GI-ANT RO-BOTS!
WE! DIG! GI-ANT RO-BOTS!
CHICKS! DIG! GI-ANT RO-BOTS!
Nice.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
The way time travel works in the Back to the Future films, despite being probably the best time travel films ever (IMO).

In Dragon Ball Z, Freeza detonating the planet?s core meaning that the planet eventually explodes in five minutes (give or take).

The Book of Eli. Full fucking stop.

bartholen said:
A man who's had his heart removed has to constantly electrocute himself to stay alive.
You're talking about Crank 2, right? God, that was abysmal. Crank was crazy, but it knew where to stop and remained entertainingly ridiculous. Crank 2 just went off the deep end.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Talking animals.
Vampires that sparkle.
Teens that pilot giant mechs.
And small everyday items that can either save or end all life or save the planet.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
An alien parasite that develops to the size of one's forearm while occupying exclusively the chest cavity. After being planted there via esophagus. That is able to keep them alive in an atmosphere completely uninhabitable to humans.

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Sending Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck to drill a massive hole and plant a nuclear bomb inside a FUCKING ASTEROID o_O

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Bullets that send people flying when the recoil of the gun doesn't do the same thing to the shooter.

Excepting if the shooter is a giant, or the "bullet" accelerates after leaving the barrel, I guess.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
VMK said:
You know what? I like giant robots. No, that came out wrong. I freakin LOVE giant robots. But the whole concept is ridiculous.

Still:

WHO! DIGS! GI-ANT RO-BOTS?!
I! DIG! GI-ANT RO-BOTS!
WE! DIG! GI-ANT RO-BOTS!
CHICKS! DIG! GI-ANT RO-BOTS!
Nice.
Thats not stupid, thats awesome.

Dumbest thing...a boy conjures up weird shit because of his dreams including a very scary looking george lopez, Jacob from Twilight, and horrid CGI. (Sharkboy and Lava Girl)

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
Gunblades, i.e. weapons that combine a melee weapon and a firearm within the same object, are of 'sounds mathematically good on paper, turns out to be completely retarded' area of stupidity.

As far as I know, part of the reason why guns are designed the way they are is to deal with the recoil of essentially setting off a small explosion in your hand. So what happens when you put this in something not equipped to deal with the recoil? A load of broken hand bones, that's what. And this is without even considering the weight issues, or accidentally shooting yourself.

These weapons are all over the place in Roosterteeth's very stupid anime-inspired series RWBY, where just about everyone seems to have one of the fucking things. The dumbest of the lot belongs to the main character, combining a scythe (already a decidedly impractical weapon) with some sort of high-powered rifle. And is wielded by a girl about half its size. And to top it all off, she says she made it herself! Did she download the plans off the internet or something?

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
That wearing no armour, and thus exposing the "undergarments" that are commonly used in MMOs to prevent nudity, actually covers you up more than if you were wearing the armour.

*gets stabbed in the neck by TERA Online*

Or the very concept of the Illuminati.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
the premise of "Parasite eve" definitely springs to mind. not "stupid" in a bad way, but still a very silly things to play as perfectly straight as they did. XD

The mitochondria proletariat, tired of slaving under the opulent oppression of the nucleus, evolve into action in the form of an opera singer and rebel against their human overlords... by setting them on FIRE! ..and melting them into puddles of goo ...and mutating animals in improbable ways to attack them.

...because Mitochondria are more than the glorified energy creation engines of the cellular bourgeoisie!

viva la organelles!

Torkuda

Nov 7, 2013
Pretty much any movie that bring up aliens for the express purpose of the "aliens are gods" trope. Yes, they traveled light years to get here, it's still stupid to assume that means they can blow up buildings with their minds and completely dominate us. Yes, we HAVE seen advanced cultures fight un-advanced cultures and ya know what, the gods (the advanced culture) 100% of the time, bleed. Advanced cultures generally win, but they still bleed. If they didn't, explain the wars of the natives and settlers, or the Americans with Iraq, or the Romans and... well a good number of their enemies. It's rare that victory, in a war, means no one on the winning side died.

(I especially love the arguments in favor of this. "But what if America were to fight Republican Rome? They only had swords and knives and stuff!". Yes, because it's not like knives and stuff are used to kill people to this day, and it's not like the Romans could just do what the natives did and take guns from our corpses or trade with our enemies for them or anything.)