Thinking about it, what is the stupidest fictional thing ever?

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Torkuda said:
Groxnax said:
Young children gaining powers and have to save the world or something else.
How is Ben Tenyson gaining powers any different than Peter Parker? Agreed, Ben wouldn't be as smart as Parker, but actually, I do find this interesting. You have two ludicrously out there plots, why is your problem age difference? Peter has no combat training or police work history either, so experience is pretty relative, and super powers kinda make physical strength a non-issue. I agree, a 20 year old and a 10 year old can't be equals even under the most ideal circumstances for the ten year old. However in my mind, that just makes for a possibly even more interesting story. We have a hero that is playing the game with a lower IQ for a damn good reason, so he will have difficulties you or I would not have. He's not an idiot, he's just young.

Or is your problem that they always have to "save the world"? I agree, dumb or not in concept, that's pretty over done these days.

Its the "Save the world" part not the youth part.

General Grind

Oct 31, 2011
Torkuda said:
Pretty much any movie that bring up aliens for the express purpose of the "aliens are gods" trope. Yes, they traveled light years to get here, it's still stupid to assume that means they can blow up buildings with their minds and completely dominate us. Yes, we HAVE seen advanced cultures fight un-advanced cultures and ya know what, the gods (the advanced culture) 100% of the time, bleed. Advanced cultures generally win, but they still bleed. If they didn't, explain the wars of the natives and settlers, or the Americans with Iraq, or the Romans and... well a good number of their enemies. It's rare that victory, in a war, means no one on the winning side died.

(I especially love the arguments in favor of this. "But what if America were to fight Republican Rome? They only had swords and knives and stuff!". Yes, because it's not like knives and stuff are used to kill people to this day, and it's not like the Romans could just do what the natives did and take guns from our corpses or trade with our enemies for them or anything.)
I think you are coming at this from the wrong perspective. Yes, human on human warfare has always yielded losses on both sides, but an alien race attacking humans is not the same as human on human warfare. If the imagined alien race is exceptionally smarter than the human race, they can be able to wipe us out without a single casualty on their side. Coming at this from a human perspective is natural and obviously the only possible way we can come at it, but if they are unimaginably smarter than us than it would be not akin to warfare between an advanced civilization and a primitive one, but more akin to war between man and sheep. Thus I do not think it is "stupid" to assume that alien race X would completely dominate us, but that it is just as likely as us being able to repel them on account of nukes or other advantages we have.

OT: A man who grows bone claws out of his hands and can subtract them at will. Also a girl with faerie wings who shoots acid. Basically, most of X-men really.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
likalaruku said:
Canon-Sue protagonists. (God Mode Sue = Resident Evil, Anti-Sue = Twilight, Black Hole Sue = Charmed).

Armor double standard: The less she wears, the more it protects.

Also anything of the following books. I think the name of the URL speaks for itself: http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/10-real-book-covers-from-dinosaur-on-human-sex-novels/
Wait, WHAT!? I'm sorry I can't contribute because nothing could possibly top that FUCKING image I now have in my head. Now excuse me while I go headbutt the pointy part of a nail.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
brom0220 said:
What are these from? I don't remember either of those, but the second one sounds familiar.
I figured I'd give others a sporting chance to figure them out first.

But as a hint:
One is from a movie.
The other is from a very stupid video game.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Someone probably already beat me to this BUT!

Every single plant, bush and, tree in Manhattan/New York City (or was it The Whole World?) stops letting off its regular pollen and instead spreads a strain that causes a violent allergic reaction in every human being on the Earth. Symptoms include falling into a trance-like state until the effected person finds a way to end their own life. This pollen only effects humans and, the cause is specifically because humans are polluting the planet.

---

A global cosmetics/pharmaceutical producer inadvertently discovers a way to revive and, mutate dead cells which leads to the revivification of humans bodies. Instead of going public with the knowledge, this company instead turns to making biological weapons out of humans, frogs, dogs, plants and all sorts of other things.

---

South America attempts to invade the USA while commandeering an orbital super weapon in the US's control.

---

Giant Red Buttons that act as a self-destruct trigger...but not automatic self-destruct, the kind that starts a 5, 10, etc. minute timer.

Torkuda

Nov 7, 2013
General Grind said:
Torkuda said:
Pretty much any movie that bring up aliens for the express purpose of the "aliens are gods" trope. Yes, they traveled light years to get here, it's still stupid to assume that means they can blow up buildings with their minds and completely dominate us. Yes, we HAVE seen advanced cultures fight un-advanced cultures and ya know what, the gods (the advanced culture) 100% of the time, bleed. Advanced cultures generally win, but they still bleed. If they didn't, explain the wars of the natives and settlers, or the Americans with Iraq, or the Romans and... well a good number of their enemies. It's rare that victory, in a war, means no one on the winning side died.

(I especially love the arguments in favor of this. "But what if America were to fight Republican Rome? They only had swords and knives and stuff!". Yes, because it's not like knives and stuff are used to kill people to this day, and it's not like the Romans could just do what the natives did and take guns from our corpses or trade with our enemies for them or anything.)
I think you are coming at this from the wrong perspective. Yes, human on human warfare has always yielded losses on both sides, but an alien race attacking humans is not the same as human on human warfare. If the imagined alien race is exceptionally smarter than the human race, they can be able to wipe us out without a single casualty on their side. Coming at this from a human perspective is natural and obviously the only possible way we can come at it, but if they are unimaginably smarter than us than it would be not akin to warfare between an advanced civilization and a primitive one, but more akin to war between man and sheep. Thus I do not think it is "stupid" to assume that alien race X would completely dominate us, but that it is just as likely as us being able to repel them on account of nukes or other advantages we have.

OT: A man who grows bone claws out of his hands and can subtract them at will. Also a girl with faerie wings who shoots acid. Basically, most of X-men really.
As I've said (something to the effect of), there's no idea that is entirely inconceivable. This does not mean there are not intellectually vacant ideas.

Generally folks seem to use the aliens dominate us like gods plot to say "What if the aliens completely dominate us and force us to reexamine ours ways of thinking?". Don't you mean "what if I had a convenient plot item that forced everyone to just sit quietly while I preached at them?"? Kinda what Taken (the sci-fi miniseries) started to feel like after a while, especially after the BS, aliens made us THINK we fought them episode. Being conquered or otherwise subjected by an alien race is a very interesting idea, why can't we actually explore and show how things go down? Why, if you want to work some kind of anti war message into your production, can't you actually show horrors of war? Actually showing non-glamorized death is pretty effective, artists have proved this before. It's better than just using a device to shut everyone else out while your alien Jesus pontificates.

Or they use the plot to set up an unbelievably dumb miguffin. "The aliens can only be defeated by an ALIEN laser beam, because that's made of energy (or its alien or advanced or something)". Oh yea, because shock waves and flashes from nukes aren't made of energy or anything. Lasers are so next gen, there's no way we could make something so amazing as a laser beam.

The only time I find this plot interesting is when it's used as "we just got pwned, deal with it.". That's interesting because, now we realize just how small we are and we have to figure out how to establish our worth when we have been shown so rudely how not special we really are. A god like entity farted and that was it. It probably just made a mistake or didn't even notice. Any survivors now have to figure out where to go from there. That is an interesting idea. Interesting, but I've never seen it.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
Aliens having a very similar anatomy to humans. Because if there even is intelligent life out there, pretty much no chance they'll be anything like us.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Four turtles and a rat mutate developing not only human level intelligence but in the turtles mammalian characteristics like opposable thumbs, endothermic temperature control and are trained in the collected martial arts of samurai for hire, with no scruples but get the job done.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Really, just about any "aliens invade Earth to steal stuff" scenario. There's almost nothing on Earth that couldn't be gotten from some airless, lifeless rock, and any species advanced enough to travel between stars isn't going to need slave labor. So unless they have some urgent need to steal our trees and can't even conceive of the idea of trading for them, it's not gonna make a lot of sense to come blow us up to take our stuff.

A close second: Giant megacorporations who routinely suffer catastrophic losses due to ridiculous malfeasance (engineering a zombie plague, for example, then letting it get loose) without being discovered and sanctioned by every last government on Earth.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
brom0220 said:
What are these from? I don't remember either of those, but the second one sounds familiar.
I figured I'd give others a sporting chance to figure them out first.

But as a hint:
One is from a movie.
The other is from a very stupid video game.
The second one sounds a hell of a lot like Dirge of Cerberus, but I haven't played that since it came out, and very stupid video game sums it up almost entirely. The first is entirely unknown to me.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Reversing the Earth's rotation causes time to go backwards. This still stands as the biggest (and dumbest) Deus Ex Machina I've ever seen.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Theres a fictional material that regulates anti-matter/matter reactions.
That isn't the silly part.

Somebody digs up a new form of that material in a far away place and use it in a power source that allows a ship to travel at infinity miles power hour.
A ship FOLLOWS the infinite velocity ship as it ACCELERATES to infinity miles per hour, then is surpised that the infinity ship is "gone"
After going through every point in the universe at once, it returns to the spot where it left once the engine is turned off.

Yes, worst episode of Star Trek: Voyager EVER, and that's saying something.
This just scratches the surface, the full stupidity is enumerated here.
http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v832.php

Also captcha reads "live long + prosper", "die soon in poverty" you bunch of hack writers.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Torkuda said:
I would further say, we could just drive our missiles to new locations, ICBMs could probably be reprogrammed to donate in space pretty easily, and the dodging thing... yea sorry but, no, to leave our atmosphere a projectile has to be traveling at around mach 25 or faster. Unless the aliens already knew where it was headed and we couldn't just redirect the missile (which we can do, look at how cruise missiles work)dodging something going that fast would make dodging bullets look like child's play.
Cruise missiles and ICBMs behave very difficult, ICBMs are like mortar shells (they can't really manoeuvre), cruise missiles like aeroplanes (they can).

But, yeah, depending on where in the orbit they wee, they could have very little warning (no way of saying if it would be too little, though). However, it might be possible for them to move around erratically anyway, like someone running in a zigzag because they think someone might try shooting at them.

Torkuda said:
However the whole, "they ARE aliens" thing is one of the main things I wish people would address, and it's far less intellectually vacant then trying to figure out how they could kill us all without even giving it much thought. Aliens would actually be pretty unlikely to know where our missile trajectories are or even how our stuff works. Who's to say a alien race even knows how nuclear weapons work in the first place? There are probably ways to achieve space flight without knowing how nukes work. In fact the connection between the two subjects is pretty loose to say the least. What if they have no idea about the 100 foot rule?
Well, ICBMs follow predictable trajectories, though the aliens might not know that in advance.

Even if they understand nuclear weapons, until the first ones are initiated, they'd not know that's what was being used. They could detect the presence of radioactive material and guess that's what was there, but they wouldn't know for sure.

Moderated

May 12, 2012
A magical crossdressing zombie with a chainsaw, a mute necromancer, a girl with a chainsaw and magical powers, a vampire ninja who hates him, a vampire ninja who loves him, and a vampire ninja who loves his ass all do stuff.
It's great.
(Kore wa zombie desu ka)

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
A group of gods keeps an entire population imprisoned and in fear of a giant moon while randomly selecting some people among them to do their chores, except they don't tell them what the chores are or how long they have to make them. If they fail, their punishment is death, if they succeed, their reward is death. This have gone for thousands of years, and some gods are tired of it, apparently. Also, they get magical powers and people hate them, apparently.

A race of martians have been undercover on Earth for thousands of years, but they didn't know that Earth was filled with bacteria and viruses. So, when they tried to invade, they caught a cold and die.

The core of the planet is stopping, so we need to detonate A atomic bomb in the Earth's core to give it a boost.

Brian Tams said:
Reversing the Earth's rotation causes time to go backwards. This still stands as the biggest (and dumbest) Deus Ex Machina I've ever seen.
You think that is bad? How about kissing a person gives them selective amnesia, a power he just finds out he had.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
hermes200 said:
A race of martians have been undercover on Earth for thousands of years, but they didn't know that Earth was filled with bacteria and viruses. So, when they tried to invade, they caught a cold and die.
And they predicted where the population centres would be.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, I don't agree with everything that everyone's said here, but some of them. Here's one I just thought up.

Y'all know that I am a big Fallout fan. "Naw, Jack! How would we ever get that from you?" Well anyway, much as I like the Fallout series - all of it - something bugs me. How in the buggery hell does anyone realistically fear Caesar's Legion? This is something that I've brought up a number of times in my RP and in discussion, but there's no two ways about it. Most of the Legion is fighting with knives and sticks! Do you know what the tribals of Arroyo did with knives and sticks for the most part when the Enclave came? Uhh, THEY DIED, except for the ones who were captured.

True, the Enclave is several levels of advancement above them AND the NCR, but you've seen the current modern NCR of the Mojave. Dudes with combat armor and modern military hardware. Not like jets or tanks, but I seem to recall that Vertibirds were present in NCR. Seriously, air supremacy! The Legion have NO WAY to attack an air vehicle, mostly, because they hardly ever use guns! What do they have? A hazy understanding of the Roman empire, spears, blades, and SOME firearms. Some.

Everything about the history of warfare tells me that the gun replaced the sword and spear for a reason. WHY is there a Legion that isn't cowering before the might of people with LONG RANGE WEAPONS? Hey, I love Fallout and NV's gray-on-gray morality in the wasteland is very cool, but Caesar's Legion is frigging ridiculous. THERE ARE RAIDER GANGS IN THE GAME USING LASER TOMMYGUNS. Make THEM the big threat from the east!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
FalloutJack said:
Okay, I don't agree with everything that everyone's said here, but some of them. Here's one I just thought up.

Y'all know that I am a big Fallout fan. "Naw, Jack! How would we ever get that from you?" Well anyway, much as I like the Fallout series - all of it - something bugs me. How in the buggery hell does anyone realistically fear Caesar's Legion? This is something that I've brought up a number of times in my RP and in discussion, but there's no two ways about it. Most of the Legion is fighting with knives and sticks! Do you know what the tribals of Arroyo did with knives and sticks for the most part when the Enclave came? Uhh, THEY DIED, except for the ones who were captured.

True, the Enclave is several levels of advancement above them AND the NCR, but you've seen the current modern NCR of the Mojave. Dudes with combat armor and modern military hardware. Not like jets or tanks, but I seem to recall that Vertibirds were present in NCR. Seriously, air supremacy! The Legion have NO WAY to attack an air vehicle, mostly, because they hardly ever use guns! What do they have? A hazy understanding of the Roman empire, spears, blades, and SOME firearms. Some.

Everything about the history of warfare tells me that the gun replaced the sword and spear for a reason. WHY is there a Legion that isn't cowering before the might of people with LONG RANGE WEAPONS? Hey, I love Fallout and NV's gray-on-gray morality in the wasteland is very cool, but Caesar's Legion is frigging ridiculous. THERE ARE RAIDER GANGS IN THE GAME USING LASER TOMMYGUNS. Make THEM the big threat from the east!
From playing it for 10ish hours it seems Caesars Legion has more numbers than the NCR dose in any particular region, also the higher level you are the more guns they use. It also seems only the initiat's have only spears and knifes. Also they seem to be better organized and trained than most raiders. As they expand and brainwash/conscript new fighters they are a power to be reckoned with. The NCR might have vert birds but whatever number they have probably protect specific core regions of the NCR. Also if FO3 is any indication a couple misses and a vert bird is down so you need a sizable force to lose in large scale battle.

Tho as I do random quests I am thinking about heading out and wiping out the legion areas. Got just about the rest of the map explored.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I'll give you one while I do not think its 100% correct this is what I surmised from it.

Multidimensional female warriors travel to earth to destroy by mistake and they can only be disabled if you date them.

Oh anime sometimes even you make my brains hurt.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Okay, open discussion.
If any force around there has superior numbers, it really doesn't show it as well as it could or should. If they two armies have been fighting like hell over the Hoover Dam this long, then neither one of them has an overwhlming amount of numbers over the other. There is no shortage of gun power in the Mojave, and an undisclosed amount of vertibirds. Now, I know that vertibirds are not invulnerable. I've blown some up. However, mostly you need rocket launchers or better to actually down one. The Legion might have some of this stuff. Hell, one of their top commanders may have even been saving a fatboy for a rainy day. Not likely, though. I say you can go and bomb most Legion camps with impunity, like the Enola Gay of old.

That said, I cannot stress enough the way in which the bullet has dominated in war. Legion armor is also crap. It's not designed to withstand the bullets. I can guarantee that a small team of gun-toting vigilantes can overpower a large Legion force. And if not, then hey...Mr. Courier...how are you still standing? Okay, he's the main character, but I actually died to NCR gunfire before during an accidental discharge. The Legion couldn't handle my guy buck naked.