Thinking of getting into Fallout...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
There will always be disagreement between folks, hardcore fans or otherwise, but really I think all four main games are worth a buy. I'd go chronologically if I were you, because by the time you're finished a GOTY edition of F:NV will be available.

Areani

Dec 18, 2008
I got into the Fallout series this summer starting with 3, moving on to NV, beating both games at least two times, and then tried to move on to 1 and 2 but... I never really got into them. I wasn't bored with them and I did feel immersed, it's just that playing them is so... draining I suppose. Exhausting, and I feel like if I don't play for at least several hours at a time it's not worth it. I guess I was just too busy, or at least felt too busy, to play either of them right now.

One day maybe.

EDIT: Oh, and I recommend you start with 3 and move on to NV. They're great fun games and totally worth your time.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
If your willing to attempt and old school turn based rpg thats quit a challenge I'd pick up fallout 1&2 great games but a lot of people can't get into them because their turn based and give you have to figure everything out or use a guide especially for character creation, 3 would be a good place to start I'd go for the GOTY if you can find it the dlc was pretty good and adds a fair bit of time and gear, new vegas is my favorite of the series the best of both the old and ne the originals had great story and character along with the player having an impact on the world, 3 added fun gameplay. New Vegas as it is now is amazing their were issues in the beginning but they've all been fixed and the dlc is just amazing, I loved 3 but New Vegas is better in every way.

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
I would suggest rolling a four-sided dice, and make that which game you start on. Because you will not get any sort of consensus from this site...

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
LITE992 said:
The whole premise of the Fallout series interests me, and I was wondering what it's like and what game I should get, or if I should wait until the next one (if they are making another one).

Edit: I'm personally interested in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so I'm probably gonna get either one or maybe both.
Fallout 3 with Broken Steel, that's worth it.

New Vegas is iffy, personally it was very repetitive with the main arch and very few minor arches were okay, the color scheme was downright depressing and which I can understand but it was still unnecessary. The DLC being good? Not that I know of... the first was imbalanced and poor, the second was dull and imbalanced, the third was even duller and more imbalanced, and the fourth? I'm going to say the trend completes itself.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
LITE992 said:
The whole premise of the Fallout series interests me, and I was wondering what it's like and what game I should get, or if I should wait until the next one (if they are making another one).

Edit: I'm personally interested in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so I'm probably gonna get either one or maybe both.
If you want bleak desolat despair with a feeling of rebuilding what has been lost pick fallout3

if you want a more comedic and more colourful art style fallout go for fallout new vegas

or go waaaaaaaay back and play the first 2 (tactics if you can) so you can say
"oh hay it's that guy I helped from fallout 1 2"

kane.malakos said:
I would suggest rolling a four-sided dice, and make that which game you start on.
or this

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
EDIT: Finding the first two Fallout games can be found on Steam but the more modern adaptions are on PC and console, all comes down to personal preference. I'd recommend getting Fallout 3 first to gauge whether you like the gameplay/story/etc. then getting New Vegas.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
VaudevillianVeteran said:
Finding the first two Fallout games can be a problem (well, in my case at least) but the more modern adaptions are good too. I'd recommend getting Fallout 3 first to gauge whether you like the gameplay/story/etc. then getting New Vegas.
They're on steam.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Delsana said:
They're on steam.
I have a steam account but no way to pay for games at the minute/no way to play games properly on this PC. But thanks.
If it's a problem because you can't afford 20 dollars then you should just say you're poor.

I'm sure someone will suggest torrenting it in your case then, though I wouldn't agree.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Nulmas said:
Ah, this discussion never grows old :)

*snip*
Hell yeah tell me about it.

One day, Bioware will rise from the dead, release Baldur's Gate 3, and we'll all sit around and argue which Baldur's Gate was better - 1, 2, 3, or New Vegas. Well, maybe not the last one. Probably New Amn or somethin'.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Delsana said:
If it's a problem because you can't afford 20 dollars then you should just say you're poor.

I'm sure someone will suggest torrenting it in your case then, though I wouldn't agree.
I didn't know they were on Steam and I'm sorry... I guess I'll just edit then. And yes, maybe I am because I can't get the money together.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Delsana said:

I didn't know they were on Steam and I'm sorry... I guess I'll just edit then. And yes, maybe I am because I can't get the money together.
That's fine.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games ever. It made me go back and play the originals, and play the broken New Vegas as well. Here's the lowdown:

If you want a good classic RTS/RPG game with 2D graphics and an interesting storyline, play Fallout 1. Follow that up with Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.

If you want a 3D FPS/RPG game with a giant sandbox world and really good graphics, play Fallout 3 GOTY edition. (Dogmeat levels up and Broken Steel adds 10 levels plus lengthens the storyline.)

If you want a glitchy 3D FPG/RPG that if you get past the bugs is pretty damn cool, play New Vegas.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Delsana said:
Finding the first two Fallout games can be a problem (well, in my case at least) but the more modern adaptions are good too. I'd recommend getting Fallout 3 first to gauge whether you like the gameplay/story/etc. then getting New Vegas.
They're on steam.
I would actually recommend the Good Old Games versions more than the Steam versions for three reasons.

A. They're cheaper

B. No DRM whatsoever

C. They're optimized for newer machines and trust me its much easier to get them going that way than hunting for fan patches.

As for my opinion. Start with 1 + 2 and then New Vegas. FO3's story is shit and the characters unbelievable.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
If you're interested in the entire IP, ALL of Fallout, rather than just the past few years, Fallout 1 & 2 are very cheap, have good stories. The gameplay is... not slow, but rather deliberate. Not for everybody. There are tons of Lets' Plays out there on the two games, so look some up if you wanna see gameplay.

If the gameplay of those two don't look appealing, don't play them. Simple as that, you won't enjoy it. And even better, you don't need to know the plot of the first two. You don't. The series is a bit like Far Cry, in the fact that they could all exist in the same universe, but no person you play has an impact on any other game in the series.

So yeah, if those don't look appealing, try Fallout 3. Its one of the best value-for-dollar games out there, its really fun, and the DLCs are worth getting. In fact you may not even want to get a patch for a while, as there are quite a few glitches that people like to use that were fixed in the patch (see Mister Sandman glitch).

But yeah, definitely Fallout 3, no matter what. If you're interested in the IP as a whole, go check out the first or second one. Don't go for the non-numbered entries in the series, like "Brotherhood of Steel". Just trust me on that, unless you become obsessed with the franchise. I haven't played New Vegas yet, so I can't give an opinion on that.

Lost In The Void said:
FO3's story is shit and the characters unbelievable.
Playing Fallout solely for the characters and story is like watching The Godfather for the special effects. Any installment in the series. The game's main plot can keep a dark tone, but it never takes itself to seriously. For every scene of a father martyring himself for his child there's a Republic of Dave, which I think is an important, and successful, design choice made for FO3.