Thinking of getting into Fallout...

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
Despite many Gamers today not even being alive when Fallout 1 or 2 came out; they are where anyone who is interested in the soul of Fallout should start. Fallout 2 will forever be the game that got me into gaming, it is just such a absorbing game and the amount of choice and actions is mind blowing.

Not to mention it is the only game where you could sell yourself for money and cheaper drugs. New Vegas is the hands down better than the other newer Fallout. Fallout 3 is like having Zelda in space and space chickens, it may be Zelda in name but really all it does is make fans angry.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
VaudevillianVeteran said:
Veldie said:
20bucks lol buy off GOG its cheaper and better then steam for games
Strangely I was just told about GOG today, and I totally agree, a lot less expensive.
it has no DRM or anything if you dont like that which who dues like DRM?

Stick to getting Fallout 2 first and formost tho its by far the best series tho you may want to play a few chars and try and get ahold of the controls and such til you get the hang of things :3

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Fallout 3 and New Vegas are unrelated, so there's no real reason to play Fallout 3 before New Vegas.

Biggest reason to check out Fallout 3 first is that GOTY edition is nicely cheap and features some cool DLC. Even the worst of the bunch have some great equipment that makes them worth playing. It has a simple karma system which really doesn't affect the game overly much one way or the other. Very much a hostile world, so most of your missions are going to be fighting.

But I prefer New Vegas which has various factions that give you side missions. Decent number of good guys to choose from and a couple of bad guys, so pick a general good or evil bent and only burn your bridges when you absolutely have to. But what I enjoy about it is that you're around communities, so there's plenty of opportunity to explore and talk to people in a safe environment. Put on some sexy underwear, a red beret, and some sunglasses and cruise the strip.

Otherwise, the biggest difference is that New Vegas has some areas that hard-wired difficult. Fallout 3 adjusts to your level, so you can pretty much pick a direction and explore. While in New Vegas, taking the most direct route to the strip will see you die insanely quickly because you'll be completely unprepared to deal with the enemies found there... and there's plenty of little pockets like that all over the place. Stick to the roads and civilization and you should be okay. Head out into the wilderness until you level up and you'll soon be dead.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Veldie said:

Stick to getting Fallout 2 first and formost tho its by far the best series tho you may want to play a few chars and try and get ahold of the controls and such til you get the hang of things :3
I've wanted to play both of the first Fallout games, but I'll take that advice, thanks. :3 I just gotta hope that I can get a computer that can actually handle gaming first. XD

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I'd start with either Fallout 3 or New Vegas, simply because they're the easiest to get into, on top of just being good. If you find yourself interested in seeing more of the Fallout universe and you like turned based stratagy then Fallout 1, 2 as well as Fallout Tactics are avaliable in a bundle package for about $20.

thelastmccabe

Jun 23, 2011
I'd play Fallout 1 first to see where it all started. It's really an excellent game with a few bits that are a little rough around the edges. Fallout 1 wasn't buggy for me. Fallout 2 is supposed to be somewhat buggy, but there's an unofficial patch that fixes most of it AFAIK. Fallout 1 is pretty hard, and it is turn based, so you have to be OK with that. But it's not as if it's some dinosaur of a game that's impossible to enjoy now. I played it for the first time in the last few years. The combat really isn't that slow. Like others have said, you may want a patch to remove the time limit.

These threads always make me feel like an old man even though I'm not that old at all.

Pjotr84

Oct 22, 2009
Since Fallout 3 breaks the story's continuity, you'd best skip that one. I'd suggest you just play 1,2 and Vegas. The first two can be a bit tricky to run on Vista or 7, but there are a lot of patches and fixes around. Just check out No Mutants Allowed and you should be good to go. I can especially recommend the Restoration Patch for 2, which adds a lot of content.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
VaudevillianVeteran said:
Veldie said:

I've wanted to play both of the first Fallout games, but I'll take that advice, thanks. :3 I just gotta hope that I can get a computer that can actually handle gaming first. XD
Gog optimizes the games and you should have a comp that could the games are not really demanding at all xD

psychodynamica

Feb 24, 2010
If you want to be bored, frustrated and confused get Fallout 1/2. If you want to play and interesting and fun FPS RPG, play fallout 3, if you want a slightly better made but less interesting (IMO!) over sold expansion pack, get New Vegas.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
If you want to try the newer versions, take Fallout 3.
Wanna give the older versions a shot? Fallout 2. To make it easy, make your stats into the following:
S-4
P-8
E-2
C-5
I-8
A-9
L-6
And tag the skills: Small Guns, Lockpick and Speech
And the Traits Gifted and Fast Shot. Small Frame is also an acceptable replacement for Fast Shot.
Pump up the Small Guns to over %110 right away. With speech over %120, you can persuade anyone. Lockpick over %120 can unlock anything as well.
This is a noob class and makes you pretty much unbeatable.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Personally, I 'missed' Fallout 1 and 2 by not having the PC to play them. So I started with Fallout 3 (NV wasn't out yet) and moved into New Vegas in due time. It was fine for me, though I do understand from my fiance that I've missed out by having skipped 1 & 2.
You're doin better than me, I originally wanted to get 3's goty edition, but the place didn't have it. So I bought NV and I've sunk most of my summer into it. Speaking of which...

EDIT: cursed ads... can't even click my bloody profile

Turing

Dec 25, 2008
dickywebster said:
Fallout 3, i love the entire series (though still unsure about NV) but the ones before r old turn based rpgs that while i love, i know a lot of people who dont and think its jsut a waste of time.
So go for fallous 3, its the most popular one so most likely to get you into it.
Fallout 3 is one game, you can't "love the entire series" :p

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
If you can take older games, start with 1 or 2, and play as a low intelligence character for great fun.

If you want modern, go with New Vegas.
...and play as a low intelligence character for great fun.

Fallout 3 doesn't care what stats you have, every playthrough is the same.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I say play them in the following order:

Fallout 1
Fallout 3
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas

You could go 1,2,3,NV like a normal person... but then you'll probably be a bit sick of things in 2 and NV because of the similarities.

This is the way I'm playing through them... although I haven't started 2 yet. Loved 1 (although the time limit was a bizarre inclusion) and 3 was decent but I was underwhelmed a bit.

Oh, and plasma weapons are where the action is. The last couple of hours of Fallout 1 were incredibly fun for me, plasma rifling the shit out of everyone.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
If noone brought it here before - remember about bugs. There are patches, both official and fan-made for FO3 that deal with most of problems. New Vegas is still in it's bug-hunting stage, especialy now with "Lonesome Road" DLC. Long story short : you may still lose all your progress, suffer nightmarish lags and hardships while playing NV. And i don't mean "typical Wastelander's life" hardships. :)

Go, play FO3, then, after month or two give NV a try.
Also : FO3's DLCs. They are f***g amazing !

P.S.
Older Fallouts were, and still are greatest parts of franchise, but they didn't age that well.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Turing said:
dickywebster said:
Fallout 3, i love the entire series (though still unsure about NV) but the ones before r old turn based rpgs that while i love, i know a lot of people who dont and think its jsut a waste of time.
So go for fallous 3, its the most popular one so most likely to get you into it.
Fallout 3 is one game, you can't "love the entire series" :p
Alright, if u want me to be more specific, I have completed several times fallouts 1, 2, 3 and tactics and never replayed NV, happy now? =P
I was just saying its the one most people have played, much as i do love the second one (the disc kinda lives in my disc drive), I sometimes stuggle to find others who do...