This "cod hate" is getting out of hand.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
MacJack said:
Seriously i can browse the internet without seeing so many people spam about it everyhwere even in non cod related videos/articles and if you say something negative about the game they are like "go play cod" like its some knida insult when in reallity its one of the most sucessfull franchises thus a very good geame. I guess its the same as halo back then when it was bashed.

But what pisses me off is how BIASED those haters are

They say that MW3 looks rehashed and same as last year.

Well, in E3 i saw uncharted 3,assasin's creed revelations and spiderman edge of time. If no one told me i would say i was looking at their predessecors, yet only cod is bashed.

In retrospective, killzone 3 and dead space 2 and fallout new vegas were exactly like their predecessors but did the fans complain? Nope.

Infact if you go take a look in game that tried to change, you will see they piss of the fans and failed like prince of persia in 2008, fans were pissed so they made a warrior within clone after that.

Hell if you take a look a the past you will see many similat situations, eg doom 1 and 2 were practicly the same with one new weapon and a bunch of monsters, when they made doom 3, everyone was pissed it changed. Same thing with blood 2 or the tomb raider series, all tomb raider games till angel of darkness were the same, after that they change the game and took their chances and the fans hated id and went back to the last 5 "Recycled" tomb raider games.

Hell even stalker series are recycled, suprisingly people only bash cod about it like all those examples i pointed out do not exist.

Another thing will be is that they say there are too many cod games and it has gone stale over the year wih no changes whhile praising bf3 which comes from a franchise who is doing the same formula for farrr longer with very few additions. Eg: BF3 is basicly bf2 with better grpaphics and destruction(since they bringing back the airplanes)

Imo this cod hate is getting out of hand and its way too biased.

first of all, most of he games that are up their have had people complain that there just reskinning the first and before i get into this i just want to state that i have played all The CoD's and i have only liked moderen warfare one.
ok all those games you posted are basiclly the same game as before with new technology behind it and new gameplay(hopefully) except AC.revelations which i can ad reasons for but i don't want to waste your time. CoD games come out once a year and if you go play moderen warfare one then play black ops you would think it was a DLC because there are only a couple of new weapons some new perks etc but the base of the game almost unchanged.
Sure other games rip off their originals but atleast they don't make one every year with the same mulitiplayer and then you can bet your ass that their going to make another DLC map with a zombie map.
The reason you don't hear as many people ***** and complain about stalker it's because that game isn't raking it in.
lastly i have a friend who loves the CoD series saying that all games could be better if they base around it and we always argue about every single time.
ok i could go on how the CoD online multiplayer is almost impossible who is new to FPS to join and how it has indirectly led to a landslide of dull CoD clones but that would take all night

Withard

Feb 4, 2010
Saying Battlefield is the same game everytime they release it is the weakest argument I have heard im afraid MacJack.

Battlefield 3 Features:

A new engine (This is an addition)
Further destructible environments (This is an addition)
A PROPER Battlefield campaign (This is an addition)
64 Player battles* (Considered an addition based on the size of the CoD games and Bad Company)
Ever evolving battles due to the Frostbite engine
Updated class archetypes
I CAN GO PRONE!!!
Improved medic abilities ie dragging fallen friends

*Battlefield 2 was the same but HEY its been too long.

Theres lots more.

Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2142 etc I mean the latter brought us a Titan war and that was VERY different.

Vehicles, NO perks, Good balancing, variety of multiplaying modes. The argument that they released expansions is invalid as they didnt just add a map for 50 dollars they actually added whole new factions, sections and graphical updates so nuurr nurrr!

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
I'm sure COD is a fun enough game, but it's the players that ruin it. Completely turned me off to the series without ever actually playing it. I'll stick with Halo, Jedi Academy and Wolfenstein ET.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Rpground said:
congragulations you ended the thread have a cookie
OT:cod comes out every year the fans are annoying Most commentators* of cod are douches
one exception is seananners hes not the only one though

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
After facepalming my way through the first two pages, it looks like the biggest complaint is that it's the same game every year (since 4). Why don't we take a look at the last four games-

CoD 4- brought it to modern times, was fucking awesome, but somehow the hate worked retroactively.

World at War- Pacific campaign of World War 2. Yep, sounds exactly the same. Added vehicles to multiplayer and honestly had a much different feel due to being developed by Treyarch.

Modern Warfare 2- A direct sequel to 4. It's a sad day when sequels can't be similar to their prequels. Graphics were definitely improved, if you play both MWs you can easily see, and multiplayer was greatly expanded (a bit too much IMO, but that's not the point).

BlOps- Vietnam, which is the first time the series has gone there. Went for a more cinematic campaign and streamlined the multiplayer because of fan reactions, and was more balanced than MW2. Before someone goes "HERP DERP BLOPS WASN'T BALANCED", I never said that.

For coming out every year, this all seems like a pretty reasonable amount of variation. If people are only angry because it's coming out every year, there's no reason to be blaming the games themselves or Infinity Ward or Treyarch. It's Activision that wants the sequels.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
My opinion? Call of Duty needs to take about a ten year break. What they are doing right now is just pumping out a new one every year, flooding the market with the same damn thing (like EA with Madden), and killing innovation in the process.

Of course, that won't happen until either Kotick gets canned or CoD stops making money.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
MacJack said:
You say this as if it's the only thing COD is disliked for.

I usually rag on COD for having a stupidly short campaign, being linear and scripted to the point where they may as well make it a rail shooter with QTE, and for using infinitely respawning enemies to make up for how lame the enemies are.

Oh, and the multiplayer is horribly balanced and has zero depth- it's just people running around at top speed or camping until they get a killstreak.

Oh, AND (insert hipstercat.jpg) I was saying that COD was overrated back when COD4 came out and everyone else was still on the hypetrain.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
People hate CoD not because of CoD itself (well, perhaps a little), but because every other game wants it's success and we've thus seen a giant influx of boring, brown and grey military shooters with short campaigns and copy pasted multiplayer.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
austincharlesbond said:
COD IS A GOOD GAME!! otherwise it wouldn't be so popular and every other developer wouldn't copy it.

duh
I thought you were above making bland, generic and thoughtless statements on the internet? No need to keep stirring up the pot.

I think OP has a valid argument in there somewhere. I take issue with some of the key comparisons in FPS gaming which he has cited as being derivative. Half the problem here is that he hasn't constructed a solid argument. I like COD for what it is, but over-saturation has turned the game into something like Coca Cola for me -- a drink I like, but only wish to consume in small amounts.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
MacJack said:
Seriously i can browse the internet without seeing so many people spam about it everyhwere even in non cod related videos/articles and if you say something negative about the game they are like "go play cod" like its some knida insult when in reallity its one of the most sucessfull franchises thus a very good geame. I guess its the same as halo back then when it was bashed.

Well, in E3 i saw uncharted 3,assasin's creed revelations and spiderman edge of time. If no one told me i would say i was looking at their predessecors, yet only cod is bashed.

In retrospective, killzone 3 and dead space 2 and fallout new vegas were exactly like their predecessors but did the fans complain? Nope.

Infact if you go take a look in game that tried to change, you will see they piss of the fans and failed like prince of persia in 2008, fans were pissed so they made a warrior within clone after that.

Hell if you take a look a the past you will see many similat situations, eg doom 1 and 2 were practicly the same with one new weapon and a bunch of monsters, when they made doom 3, everyone was pissed it changed. Same thing with blood 2 or the tomb raider series, all tomb raider games till angel of darkness were the same, after that they change the game and took their chances and the fans hated id and went back to the last 5 "Recycled" tomb raider games.

Hell even stalker series are recycled, suprisingly people only bash cod about it like all those examples i pointed out do not exist.

Another thing will be is that they say there are too many cod games and it has gone stale over the year wih no changes whhile praising bf3 which comes from a franchise who is doing the same formula for farrr longer with very few additions. Eg: BF3 is basicly bf2 with better grpaphics and destruction(since they bringing back the airplanes)

Look cod hate is justified it is the same game every no gameplay changes no new setting every time its just oh the russians are assholes shoot them they play like a really bad Michale bay film its just shoot run shoot oh you have been shot sit behind a rock for 10 seconds replete its a joke
fans have complained about all the games on that list but at least they have more game play
depth that the kiddies pool
and assassins creed really that's a new game every time the characters are different based on setting and time frame alot more goes into assassin's creed than that pile of crap we call call of duty
lets think back to the e3 demo i don't have the slightest clue how to embed a video so ill link it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CblUvlZDio8
now look at 5:50 and then look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEvAfZtquaY&feature=related around 1:20
the animations on mw3 are exactly the same as mw2

also the community who plays the game sucks their are hackers profile thieves moders lag switchers (etc)and that doesnt even goin to overpowered perks weapons and glitches which took for ever to to patch (im looking at you javelin gitch)

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
MacJack said:

Respectfully disagree.

fuck COD.

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
This Racism thing is getting out of hand too. Can we deal with more pressing issues, instead of Group A hates Group B's favorite thing HALP!.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
Dramerc said:
The cod hate is because most COD fans think they know everything about guns yet they know jack about them so they look like fools and also its not all based on change i refused to play COD after World at War because i hate playing in the modern time as the only enemies your allowed are either the Russians (who would never invade the USA) or Terrorists or PMCs so i can see where the hate comes from.
Thanks, you said practically everything that I was going to say :)

Well fallout new vegas and those other games weren't bashed because their predecessors weren't, MW2 was bashed, so copying it again with black ops is just silly, and then copying black ops with MW3 is even worse. It's like cutting yourself with a knife to see if it hurts, then doing it a couple more times because you think something good would happen.

And yea, sure a lot of the cod bashers are biased, but show me one gamer who isn't. A gamer who has played Wow for 4 years is easily going to be biased to wow and possibly the mmo genre, a person who has played final fantasy since the start is going to be biased to final fantasy no matte how bad it gets.

AshuraSpeaks

Jun 12, 2008
meganmeave said:
I had to stop reading the responses to this thread because they are filled with such idiocy I can't stomach it anymore.

As to the OPs question about COD hate, who the fuck knows? People like to hate on things. If you don't like something that is popular, that automatically puts you on the outside of a group. People don't like being on the outside. They resent those who have the shared experience. Maybe they secretly wonder if there is something wrong with them because they don't like something that so many other people have liked? I'm no psychologist, but I'm sure there are theories aplenty as to why people will hate something popular so vehemently.

As to some of the arguments I've read in the first ten or so responses, I feel compelled to address them:

CoD is just the same game over and over again

I don't know. I've played three of them now, and I would say the story lines are fairly unique and interesting. MW is part of a trilogy, so obviously those stories are building on each other. In the modern gaming world, it seems to me most sequels are pretty much the same game with a new story. Some people really like that. When you have solid gameplay, there really isn't much reason to mess with it. I'm not pissed because my books don't know have letters that dance on the page and sing me songs while I read. If it's about a new setting and story, I can't see the problem here. Innovation for innovation's sake is one of the more annoying things the gaming industry does imo.

It's not CoD, it's the douchey fans.

I know quite a few CoD fans who aren't assholes. I myself am one. I'm not an idiot, I'm not twelve, and I'm not "giving gamers a bad name" as one poster put it. I enjoy all types of games. I can certainly see the merit of something like CoD. After playing it, other shooter games do seem clunky by comparison. CoD has a very smooth and fluid system for an FPS. In fact, I've heard this generalization so much, I was reluctant to play CoD. I'm glad that a number of my friends suggested otherwise.

Is it for everybody? No, but neither is Mario, and that has a decidedly more favorable opinion of it in communities like these, even though they haven't really done anything different in the last few years either. Mario Sunshine was really the last interesting innovation they did with that series, and it was unpopular, so they went back to the old Mario 64 type game.

I'm just saying before you start labeling an entire community of gamers, you should probably talk to a few CoD players here on these forums. Many of them are quite willing to recognize the flaws in their favorite series. They just find your arguments for why the series sucks to be not particularly persuasive.

The company that makes it is greedy!

To me, this is one of the most baffling arguments. I personally know of no single game company that isn't profit motivated. They all want to make more money. Yes, they hire artists who really just enjoy making great games. But without the corporations like Activision, these artists wouldn't have a place to work. Let's just set aside the fact that they just announced a CoD con where all the proceeds go to charity. All gaming companies are greedy. They are all run by people and shareholders who want more money for less risk. These are not non-profit organizations. If you hate CoD for this, you really should be more consistent and hate all gaming companies.

I'm not going to argue that the working conditions of one place are better than another. In huge organizations like that, those kinds of things can change on a yearly basis. Your favorite company can easily be bought up by assholes and the whole structure can change. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking any of these companies are altruistic. I've yet to see a non-profit oriented gaming company. It's what they do.

I'm just sick and tired of seeing it! I want it gone!

A rational argument if I ever heard one. If the very existence of CoD bothers you this much, you may need some therapy. I'm serious. It sounds like an anxiety disorder.

It annoys me to no end that Stephanie Meyer sells as many books as she does while authors I love to read flounder in obscurity. However, I would never wish Twilight away. Millions of people love it. My pleasure is not more equal than theirs. Neither is yours. I know, you are the most important person to you. That doesn't make this particular sentiment any less selfish.
Dear Megan,
I was about to post, then I read yours, and my eyes were blinded from all the WIN it contained. Your every rational argument and ready wit are a beacon in the dark. I have nothing to add, so here's a bunch of praise for what you wrote, and a quoted re-post for the people who missed it.

Yours,
Ashura

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Is it me or is TC in the "Why do they hate my game, it sells well so it must be good, I love this game so everyone must love this game, but other games does the same thing, LEAVE CALL OF DUTY ALONE".

Also going by what the guys at Call of Duty are saying is stupid "We have 60 fps so we are better", while Battlefield seems to be saying "We have a awesome and versed game so 30 fps is enough to not cause issues".

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/news/battlefield-3-vs-modern-warfare-3-you-dont-ship-an-engine-you-ship-a-game-says-sledgehammer/a-2011062916274807088/g-20110513154613130025

End of story TC; get over yourself, you may love the game but you are just whining about how people hate it and ignore what others are saying to make your point clear which at this point is getting sad.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
The mechanics behind Call of Duty allows a player who has more equipment to beat a player who has more skill. This creates a system wherein a new player has to choose between getting their ass kicked for a very long time, or using the bottom mounted grenade launcher, and being insulted by the other players.

There is no real place to get good, as the campaign puts you in the wrong mindset for multiplayer, and beginners can get destroyed in Modern Warfare.

The addition of Killstreak rewards have not helped either. In Call of Duty 4, every killstreak award was avoidable. In the more recent games however, the Killstreak rewards have become unfair, not giving players enough time to escape, or an option to avoid it (i'm looking at YOU predator missile!)

I used to be really good at Call of Duty 4 (which I believe to be the peak of the series Multiplayer-wise)
It was balanced, and the Ideas for the franchise were fresh and interesting. There were 3 killstreak rewards, a few attachments, and a couple of good guns.

By Modern Warfare 2, there were killstreak rewards that could instantly kill someone, attachments that allowed players to see through walls and then proceed to shoot through them. It also introduced the tactic (or plague) of quickscoping, which allowed snipers to instantly kill someone by exploiting the lock on mechanic of zooming in.

I also believe it is the community's fault. In my experiences, most of the players who use the mic are a bunch of jackasses who scream in anger if god forbid you kill them...
The overuse of swear words and a certain racial slur which I will not say makes the community seem immature, like it is being run by asshole teenagers and their prick friends. While I am sure that the community probably has at least some well minded, friendly people, the overwhelming number of immature ragers gives outsiders the impression that that IS the community in a nutshell.

TLDR: unfair killstreaks, community full of dicks, exploitation of mechanics

Pontus Hashis

Feb 22, 2010
MacJack said:
Seriously i can browse the internet without seeing so many people spam about it everyhwere even in non cod related videos/articles and if you say something negative about the game they are like "go play cod" like its some knida insult when in reallity its one of the most sucessfull franchises thus a very good geame.

Let's start of with "its one of the most sucessfull franchises thus a very good game".
NO, NO NONONONONOOOOOOOOO! It's an easy to sell game to the drones. Doesn't mean it's good, only that it's easy to use, and well marketed. A good game however would be a game that feels fulfilling and let's you learn stuff. That has not happened to me with CoD.
Also, it's published by activision, and therefor it's paying for the death of the industry.

About E3 stuff is that they are accualy story based games, not multiplayer. I still dislike Uncharted becus of Smuggy McCanOnlyClimbInTheDesignatedArea.

Killzone was an exclusive, Dead space 2 was just as unlikable in gameplay (For me) and don't you dear speak ill of New Vegas, it's the true sequel to Fo1 and Fo2!Also it had improved gameplay, A GREAT STORY and a genneraly better atmosphere.