This "cod hate" is getting out of hand.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
NickCooley said:
Then there's all the insults aimed at the players. In this thread alone we've been called drones, morons, idiots, arseholes etc. Apparently trash talking is a blight on all gaming but insulting a huge swathe of people is ok. And we're supposed to be the arseholes?!
^ The truth. I am so sick and tired of people stereotyping CoD players, like they haven't got anything better to do. They are probably jealous we're having fun with our favorite games and want to ruin them for us.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
I wouldn't say it is getting out-of-hand, it's actually leveled out if not been in decline for a while.

I'm not sure why people need to "hate" on anything, really. If you don't like it, don't play it; if someone else likes it, who cares? Though on the same token, I don't know why people care if other people dislike something that they do.

I play World of Warcraft, the MMORPG equivalent (almost everyone seems to play it, and almost everyone seems to hate it). I happen to like it, but I'm not going to defend it to folks who hate it. Random people on the internet aren't going to stop me from enjoying it. Anyone who assumes something of me based on the fact I play it isn't worth my time anyway, so why take it personally?

As for the Call of Duty franchise specifically, I don't hate it. I don't particularly care for it. I got up to Modern Warfare (1?), it was alright. I played the campaign, I played with some buds, some good times were had. Subsequent titles have looked like just more of the same to me, so I just don't play them, but I don't care if you like them and play them.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
stewox said:
The hate for cod is simple, MW2 is a dumbed down console game for kids and 15 old noobs, my brother 3yrs younger , he actually liked it, while i hated it.

But that is simply how much you grown up, some guys 20yrs and still loving what you loved at 15yr, come on, time to move on basement kreeps, MW2 is a crap game overall.

It's selling because of the name, brand, simple as that. It's mainstream, it's for western population, they love controversy, i didn't liked the "no russian" level, not at all. It's sick.

When you don't have quality, you seek desperate measures to make up for that.

My mind's not going to change with MW3... until i see it fully.
Or, and stop if I'm incorrect here, maybe they just generally enjoy the game. You're in no place to judge them for what they enjoy and if you share a different opinion from them, then fine, but don't insult them just because they happen to enjoy one specific series.

OT: With the exception of Nazi Zombies and Gun Game, I could care less what happens to the series. I am a bit disappointed by the direction the game has taken single player and multiplayer wise, but you can't argue that its been successful and that's hardly a reason to hate it.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
hate is very reasonable because every new call of duty is just adding few new guns. game play hasn't changed at all, and none of the other game you mentioned even compares to call of duty's repetitive rehash.

I hope I'm not the first to tell you: you're just being a fanboy.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
stewox said:
The hate for cod is simple, MW2 is a dumbed down
Dumbed down? in what way? From what? Did they dumb it down from World at War (the previous game) did they dumb it down from Call of Duty 4?... Please elaborate.

stewox said:
console game for kids and 15 old noobs, my brother 3yrs younger , he actually liked it, while i hated it.
So you question the maturity of the gamers yet your posts so far have just been childish name calling of the players. As for console game... why does that matter?

stewox said:
But that is simply how much you grown up, some guys 20yrs and still loving what you loved at 15yr, come on, time to move on basement kreeps, MW2 is a crap game overall.
Again childish insults.

stewox said:
It's selling because of the name, brand, simple as that. It's mainstream, it's for western population, they love controversy, i didn't liked the "no russian" level, not at all. It's sick.
Or maybe its because people enjoy the game? also mainstream?... Why does that matter? do we automatically have to hate something regardless of merit as soon as it becomes popular?

OneEyeX

Sep 6, 2005
Imper1um said:
- CoD:BLoPs is, again CoD4 MP, with 19th Century weapons,
20th

Nuke_em_05 said:
I'm not sure why people need to "hate" on anything, really. If you don't like it, don't play it; if someone else likes it, who cares? Though on the same token, I don't know why people care if other people dislike something that they do.
There are generally THREE reasons for this;
Mad-Bad: They're bad because They're terrible at the style of combat presented in CoD and dislike the fact that it's a bench-mark for Shooters.
Mad-Pretentious: They're literally too much a little girl to enjoy combat based around military firearms and competitive nature of the multiplayer. Generally they don't like multiplayer overall and complain about tacked on multiplayer.
Mad-Mad: They're just Mad about it being popular.

Nuke_em_05 said:
I play World of Warcraft, the MMORPG equivalent (almost everyone seems to play it, and almost everyone seems to hate it). I happen to like it, but I'm not going to defend it to folks who hate it. Random people on the internet aren't going to stop me from enjoying it. Anyone who assumes something of me based on the fact I play it isn't worth my time anyway, so why take it personally?
Because of the reasons above, minus Mad-Bad. Mad-Bads get put in your que-finder.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Silenttalker22 said:
OP couldn't have more selective vision if he tried. Everyone complained at Angel of Darkness? Uninformed or selective, nonsense. People were complaining as early as Tomb Raider 2, that the gameplay felt the same with nothing but slight changes like the ability to ledge-climb around corners, as a change.

And yes, half the hate is the fans. I mean ffs, I checked out the IGN youtube vid for Shadow of the Colossus HD, and no less than two comments out of the few were to the effect of, "This looks like garbage, you should play COD". I don't even have to break down the knuckle-dragging, I-only-play-COD-and-call-myself-a-gamer retardation in that. I wish that were the only time I could say I've seen that happen,but I could cite more.

So if the fanboys... sorry, the fans of COD are tired of the hate, maybe they should work on the image they project.
Silenttalker22 said:
I liked the one reference to the fanboy worship, comparing it to Twilight fanbase. At IGN's game of the year choice, when the real debate was between Mass Effect and Red Dead, there were endless, ENDLESS comments about how COD is "infinitely" better than either. Again, a mass of simple folks who do nothing but COD multiplayer, with no real experience in gaming culture.

For the record I loved MW1+2. Didn't buy Black ops cuz as Yahtzee says "I don't give a flying shit about multiplayer and neither do a lot of people". But I can safely call myself a hater of the series' fans.
THANK YOU
I swear, it's like you're in my head. You've said, almost point for point, what I was going to say. (save the Tomb Raider and other assorted, specific examples. though I was going to bring up the IGN message boards)

As futile as the following is going to be, as the OP is not likely to actually read what I write, I have to say that I actually do hate Call of Duty. And, yes, I do mean hate. At this point there is literally nothing about Call of Duty that doesn't fill me with ire and aggravation. It's cookie-cutter, lowest-common-denominator game design at its most obscene. It's become the next Guitar Hero. By that I mean it's literally the same game as the previous incarnation with, what one could at best tentatively call, "additions". Hell, they even rehash entire scenes from previous games!

See, where normally a developer, after releasing a multi-player-centric game, would address balance issues or add extra features through the use of patches or updates, Activision has seen fit to instead release a whole new game for their additions. No matter how small or inconsequential. Even worse, they do so at full price. (and soon, at raised prices)

And all of this is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the problems with Call of Duty. I dare not even began a discussion as to the state of it's online community or the exploitative nature of it's DLC. I've even heard the most die-hard of fans of the game complain, almost endlessly, about the rest of the community and $15 map packs. (containing maybe four maps that the fan base plays for maybe a week before reverting to the older maps)

Yet, they keep going back for more. Why? Because Call of Duty has literally become a drug. A popularity drug. People, especially with the explosion of social networking, feel more and more pressured to "fit in" and be like "everyone else". As a result, games like Call of Duty and it's very vanilla, mass-market appeal, quickly and easily become the new social networking drug. Much like Facebook.

And, just like Facebook, Call of Duty breeds a community of people who are quickly becoming the most self-indulgent, self-absorbed people on the planet. It's all about "me, me, me". This lends itself to much of the community being confrontational and abrasive towards everyone else. Even if they're nothing like that in "real life". I know people that are very fun and kind in person, but as soon as they pick up a controller and join a match in Call of Duty, they turn into the most offensive, obnoxious jerks I've ever met.

So, Mr. OP, you ask why all the hate? We hate (or, in most cases, just dislike) because Call of Duty represents everything wrong with the gaming industry. It's a showcase of all the misdeeds, stereotypes, and misconceptions of the gaming world and those that are a part of it. It may seem harsh or extreme to put so much blame on a single franchise, and in some ways it really is unfair, but the truth of the matter is Call of Duty is far too popular for what it is or has become. It's a true celebration of mediocrity.

A couple of side notes.
First, I loved the hell out of Call of Duty 4. I still regard it as one of the finer games of the last decade. It's what has become of the series since then that irks me so.

Second, does anyone else find it suspicious that the OP's account was created just a few days ago and has since been used only to start, then comment on, this topic?

[/edit] Sorry for the lengthy rant. I've abstained from commenting on these kinds of threads for quite a while. Had a lot of pent up comments. :p

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
The reason why so many people hate cod is because... well, not everyone likes fish you know

Lame puns aside. The reason why people hate CoD is because it's the same game every damn year, the same story, the same mechanics, and the same enemies and only a very few new additions. The only new thing I saw in the gameplay videos for MW3 was the ability to switch between red dot sights and an ACOG scope... and thats it. Also, the fact that there's a new CoD game EVERY DAMN YEAR is also why people hate it, and lets just face it, $15 dollar map packs doesnt excactly help improve CoD's image

Arkyance

Jun 21, 2011
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like Call of Duty? -What I saw from OP's post. Good job.

bro1667

Jul 21, 2010
As to the 60$ price range in COD

As TB once mentioned in a mailbox, older games liké Super Mario Bros. 10-20 years ago cost 50-90 $ ! That in my opinion, was quite alot back then. When we skip to present day, dev. in games cost more and more and we should be happy that the price is not higher. Think if they charged 70 $ or more for a game today?

I do agree that COD is NOT worth the 60 $ but aleast there not charging more for their game. (hopefully)

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
Irriduccibilli said:
The reason why so many people hate cod is because... well, not everyone likes fish you know

Lame puns aside. The reason why people hate CoD is because it's the same game every damn year, the same story, the same mechanics, and the same enemies and only a very few new additions. The only new thing I saw in the gameplay videos for MW3 was the ability to switch between red dot sights and an ACOG scope... and thats it. Also, the fact that there's a new CoD game EVERY DAMN YEAR is also why people hate it, and lets just face it, $15 dollar map packs doesnt excactly help improve CoD's image
indeed, but that's a local issue, the point is , they purposely did it, dumbed down for masses of people to "enjoy" ...

Im just talking differently , i mean the same thing, and that rant above is not really personal against anyone here, it's just what people think, sumed up, but it has my anger when i talk, ofcourse im not happy to rant about it.

One of the biggest reasons for these discussion is when people who have no idea about the history or the point come up with some of their arguments, you should expect retalliation, of freaking course.

I was there since COD1, i ran COD2 servers, i MODDED C++ scripts for my server mod, it was a hardcore rifle-only mod, no freaking sprayers, that's why i take my balls to write here this today, i wouldn't be writting a post if i wasn't sure i was having an idea what's going on.

I think many people ... don't even know how to behave on the web, you don't start a discussion if you have NO hardcore knowledge, it is pointless to discuss with someone under-infromed about the subject.

What people defend in MW2 , is a local issue. a local issue without any SENSE. The whole issue is that it is actually a success, it's designed to make this hate and discussions and flame wars and internet abuzz , it's the design of MW2, they wanted the camps to go at fire, they wanted to screw the PC people because they knew they'll go bizerke, console gamers aren't vigilant, aren't capable of REVOLTING.

Console gamers of such ages.

Remember nintendo ... years ago, the times when hardcore console communites had a brain.

If you ask me, in my eyes, X360 is the biggest parasite in entertainment history, X360 is the biggest blame for this flame wars and kids they brought up , it's exploiting the stereotype, giving 10year old kids to play MW2 and thos kids are asking for trobule on the web, did you expect PC community to be ... okay with that ?

Microsoft has been screwing PC for a long time now, we're pissed , how we wouldn't be, Win7 is just a 300$ vista patch, the industry is turning mature gaming into monetized dumbed down social gaming.

It's an unfortunate story, why wouldn't i hate that, why wouldn't i be upset if everything in front of me is turning into shit. Im actually SAD because industry is turning into mindless slaves and stupid people in every corner you look, it is not plesant, i am unhappy because i miss the old days.

The sad part is, the PEOPLE get dumbed down , and they actually accept it. And the won't see my messeage, they're dumbed down to understand it, sadly.

and im offf to sleep (bit late ) this is just honest opinion , no offense to defenders , but i hope i explained well

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
austincharlesbond said:
Arehexes said:
austincharlesbond said:
Arehexes said:
austincharlesbond said:
Portal 2, Dead Space 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 use the previous games' engine, and are proclaimed as brilliant games. But if COD does it... apparently it means it must be banished from the Earth! Really haters, grow up.
I've heard people say galaxy 2 is good but still complain it's the same game with yoshi added (it's why I got rid of my copy after a few days and I love me some mario I tell you that). But by this logic any game that uses the Unreal Engine should be banished. The key problem is sequel beating, which Super Mario Galaxy 2 ate bad, while Dead Space 2 and Portal 2 are at least new ideas. But Call of Duty's point now is that they don't even want to try to change it up in terms of game play (You mention Portal 2, at least it added some new elements to the puzzles with the bounce gel, and speed gel, and convalsive gel). But Call of Duty from what I played felt the same (played nice mind you) but just felt the same.
OK I'm sick of talking about COD so I'm going off-topic.
No other game of 2010, and I mean NO OTHER GAME, has as many new ideas as Super Mario Galaxy 2. The overall goal of each level is the same but the levels are insanely creative. That's why it is one of the highest rated games of this generation.

It's totally obvious you didn't actually buy the game, btw. Don't worry, we all lie about owning games to make our opinions sound better :p
Don't put words in my mouth dude, I gave my copy to my brother and his nieces because I was tired of getting stars to save princess peach from bowser (hell they even reused a mario 64 stage). Cause hey if I hate a game I must not have owned it. I have better games to play over it on my Wii, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, DS, PSP, and PC. And shocker they are at least different in their ideas (even it it can rehash ideas from it's genre), instead of another get X number of stars and save princess peach from bowser again.

But again thanks for assuming what games I own/play/don't own just because I hated the game.
OK I admit I was being a bit of a dick but now I'm just really, really intrigued. I have never met anyone who has hated this game, and now I'm just interested why. I just assumed since you "love you some Mario", you would know that every Mario game has the same (not really a) storyline and that it's not about the flagpole/stars, but the levels that get you there.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 could be seen as an expansion pack as it doesn't change the core concept or collecting stars, but it is incredibly creative with the ways it constantly changes the mechanics of the game and frankly, I feel that in one hour of the game, it offers more creativity and ambition than most games do in their entirety.

Also, it's a massive game and the Whomps-Fortress homage occurs very late in the game, so you must have been playing a hell of a lot over those few days. With such a lukewarm feeling?

I'm getting frustrated because I still believe you didn't actually buy the game; how else could you say it's not different in it's ideas? You would have to be blind to not notice how every level offers something fresh and unique.

But whatever, I guess you're entitled to your opinion. EVEN IF YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!! TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
You can say I didn't buy it, but I did. Traded in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Mario Party 8 for a gamestop deal to get it cheaper. And yep I did play it a lot it was fun, but I still don't like it as much as the first one. I also don't like Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, are you gonna claim I didn't buy/own/beat that when I beat the Original one and Master Quest. The problem is I said I didn't like a game you love or like a lot and are taking offense saying I didn't even buy it. Galaxy did something I love over 64 and Sunshine, instead of a giant sprawling world where you have to find your star it's more point A to point B. But Galaxy two is good, but it's just like DLC but for 60 bucks only nintendo can pull something like that and get away with it (Other then Microsoft and ODST).

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
austincharlesbond said:
Arehexes said:
austincharlesbond said:
Arehexes said:
austincharlesbond said:
Arehexes said:
austincharlesbond said:
Portal 2, Dead Space 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 use the previous games' engine, and are proclaimed as brilliant games. But if COD does it... apparently it means it must be banished from the Earth! Really haters, grow up.
I've heard people say galaxy 2 is good but still complain it's the same game with yoshi added (it's why I got rid of my copy after a few days and I love me some mario I tell you that). But by this logic any game that uses the Unreal Engine should be banished. The key problem is sequel beating, which Super Mario Galaxy 2 ate bad, while Dead Space 2 and Portal 2 are at least new ideas. But Call of Duty's point now is that they don't even want to try to change it up in terms of game play (You mention Portal 2, at least it added some new elements to the puzzles with the bounce gel, and speed gel, and convalsive gel). But Call of Duty from what I played felt the same (played nice mind you) but just felt the same.
OK I'm sick of talking about COD so I'm going off-topic.
No other game of 2010, and I mean NO OTHER GAME, has as many new ideas as Super Mario Galaxy 2. The overall goal of each level is the same but the levels are insanely creative. That's why it is one of the highest rated games of this generation.

It's totally obvious you didn't actually buy the game, btw. Don't worry, we all lie about owning games to make our opinions sound better :p
Don't put words in my mouth dude, I gave my copy to my brother and his nieces because I was tired of getting stars to save princess peach from bowser (hell they even reused a mario 64 stage). Cause hey if I hate a game I must not have owned it. I have better games to play over it on my Wii, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, DS, PSP, and PC. And shocker they are at least different in their ideas (even it it can rehash ideas from it's genre), instead of another get X number of stars and save princess peach from bowser again.

But again thanks for assuming what games I own/play/don't own just because I hated the game.
OK I admit I was being a bit of a dick but now I'm just really, really intrigued. I have never met anyone who has hated this game, and now I'm just interested why. I just assumed since you "love you some Mario", you would know that every Mario game has the same (not really a) storyline and that it's not about the flagpole/stars, but the levels that get you there.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 could be seen as an expansion pack as it doesn't change the core concept or collecting stars, but it is incredibly creative with the ways it constantly changes the mechanics of the game and frankly, I feel that in one hour of the game, it offers more creativity and ambition than most games do in their entirety.

Also, it's a massive game and the Whomps-Fortress homage occurs very late in the game, so you must have been playing a hell of a lot over those few days. With such a lukewarm feeling?

I'm getting frustrated because I still believe you didn't actually buy the game; how else could you say it's not different in it's ideas? You would have to be blind to not notice how every level offers something fresh and unique.

But whatever, I guess you're entitled to your opinion. EVEN IF YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!! TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
You can say I didn't buy it, but I did. Traded in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Mario Party 8 for a gamestop deal to get it cheaper. And yep I did play it a lot it was fun, but I still don't like it as much as the first one. I also don't like Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, are you gonna claim I didn't buy/own/beat that when I beat the Original one and Master Quest. The problem is I said I didn't like a game you love or like a lot and are taking offense saying I didn't even buy it. Galaxy did something I love over 64 and Sunshine, instead of a giant sprawling world where you have to find your star it's more point A to point B. But Galaxy two is good, but it's just like DLC but for 60 bucks only nintendo can pull something like that and get away with it (Other then Microsoft and ODST).
I completely disagree with everything you just said, but you know what? I don't care. I'm going to sit down, fall in love with the game again, and be happy that Nintendo made it. If Galaxy 2 is DLC for $60, then I guess I wish there was more DLC for $60 in the industry.
I could care less if you agree with me or not I stand by my reason for not liking Galaxy 2, but don't get all fan boy on me going "Well you must not have even owned the game if you didn't like it", if I don't like a game you like then just deal with it, I can dislike any damn game I please and I don't need someone claiming if I owned it or not just because he is butt hurt that someone doesn't like his game he loves. Hell if I had your attitude I would throw a fit when people say they don't like games like Disgaea, or Etrian Odyssey or any of the 200+ games I own that my friends/people of the internet don't even want to think about playing. And it's sad your getting in such a fit over the fact a random guy you will never meet said he hated a game you love, how does it feel to be a fan boy on such a level such as yourself. To be honest I don't wanna know cause I'm done with you, to me you are a stain. I lump you with the Final Fantasy 7/6 fanboys who rage over which is best or insult or make stupid claims to those who don't like either series.

In short:Get over your self and just enjoy your stupid game, you don't need EVERYONE to love your favorite game for you to enjoy it.