This Guy is the BEST Game Analyst No One's heard of

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Are we talking about SuperBunnyHop?

*Remembers that BunnyHop just broke 200k subs* Nope, ok let's see what this guy is about... *sees videos are mostly nintendo games and trendy "popular" stuff like Undertale or Dark Souls which I never was interested in* Hum ok...
And you say this guy is all about "Vidya games as art" to boot?
Yeh Extra Credits kinda burnt me out on those types a long time ago I'm afraid.

Strike 3 is judging from his choices in videos, we don't share any gaming tastes whatsoever so I guess I'm just not his target audience.
Edit: Since sounded harsher then intended, wanna explain that before I give a 20-30 min vid on something I'm not super interested in a shot, I need to know I like the vid maker first. So when exploring new game reviewwers/anaylst I start by the vids they made on things I enjoy/know a bit about then if I like what they have done, I explore what's outside my comfort zone.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Hey! A friend of mine just linked me to this. I'm Emcee. We talked before in the User Reviews. And this is really kind of you. I just want you to know I appreciate, and appreciate everyone here giving my pretentious crap a fair shot. Got quite a few new subs today, and good feedback, so thank you :)

ThereIsNoSanta

Sep 17, 2015
Overusedname said:
Hey! A friend of mine just linked me to this. I'm Emcee. We talked before in the User Reviews. And this is really kind of you. I just want you to know I appreciate, and appreciate everyone here giving my pretentious crap a fair shot. Got quite a few new subs today, and good feedback, so thank you :)
Hey there! No problem dude, It's always nice to share content I love. :D More people gotta know your stuff exists. Keep working hard man, you have a great thing going here.

IndignantMole

Apr 27, 2016
Overusedname said:
*Mild Fangirling*

Good stuff, Emcee! Glad I found yer stuff. I don't know if this is obnoxious to ask, but do you consider requests for episodes?

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
IndignantMole said:
Overusedname said:
*Mild Fangirling*

Good stuff, Emcee! Glad I found yer stuff. I don't know if this is obnoxious to ask, but do you consider requests for episodes?
I'm not nearly popular enough for fangirling/boying of any level. But thanks! :D And yeah, I listen to all requests, I just can't make any promises. I get a lot of requests lately, on top of topics I was already planning on doing.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I think one of the best ones he's done is the Twilight Princess one. It really made me open my eyes to that game and see it in a very different light. If you can't be arsed to watch all three videos though, just watch the last one where Emcee ties it all together. It's just the best. It actually really touched me emotionally.

Nevertheless though, Emcee is all about the story. Which is awesome stuff but...

For gameplay analysis, Noah Caldwell-Gervais is a boss. Together, the two, Noah and Emcee realllly compliment each other well, and I think they both need to be employed at The Escapist. For Noah, I like his analysis of Skyrim the most. He tells you exactly WHY Skyrim is built the way that it is.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've heard of him before but I've always refrained from watching because of the use of "symbolism" in the title. That word is usually used by people making extremely tenuous connections to unrelated material in an attempt to make themselves look smart, like that Game Theory video where he claimed Link was dead and Majora's Mask was symbolic of the 5 stages of grief. Most people that use the word "symbolism" seem to be unaware that symbols are actually meaningless until they have their meaning ascribed to them. So unless a symbol is so widely used that it's meaning cannot be misunderstood, such as the cross and Christianity, or the work itself sets up the symbol and demonstrates it's meaning, any meaning derived from the symbol is nothing more than worthless speculation. Basically "symbolism" is code-word for Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory.

However, after watching this Undertale video, I'm pleasantly surprised about the lack of pretentiousness contained. He seems to be simply discussing things that are actually present in Undertale without finding any 'hidden meaning'. I'm tentatively going to watch the rest of the series, but that word is still making me nervous.

IndignantMole

Apr 27, 2016
Overusedname said:
I'm not nearly popular enough for fangirling/boying of any level. But thanks! :D And yeah, I listen to all requests, I just can't make any promises. I get a lot of requests lately, on top of topics I was already planning on doing.
You'll be that popular eventually! :)

My suggestion is on Persona. You seem to like dark RPGs and I think I heard some Persona 3 music in one of your vids. There's always been some subtext that really interested me in those games, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

ThereIsNoSanta

Sep 17, 2015
Drathnoxis said:
Yeah, thats largely how I felt when I first saw his stuff. Only I was more worried about 'hurr durr illuminaughty' type stuff. But as I watched more, I realized he was honest to god just talking about the subtext, morals and theming. Its so simple, yet rare. If you haven't watched it yet, His Twilight Princess stuff is possibly his best so far.

SomethingWorse

Sep 10, 2012
IndignantMole said:
Overusedname said:

My suggestion is on Persona. You seem to like dark RPGs and I think I heard some Persona 3 music in one of your vids. There's always been some subtext that really interested me in those games, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I second that one, if this is a vote.

Those games need more exposure :D

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Oh yeah, this guy. I was subscribed to him a couple of years back, but then I unsubbed because he practically disappeared, and for his long running Zelda series (I couldn't care less about Zelda). But yeah, if he branches out a little, and it looks like he has, I can probably see myself resubbing because I did actually really like his stuff.

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
SomethingWorse said:
IndignantMole said:
Overusedname said:

I love me some persona, especially 4. And you're right, a lot of people don't know much about them, so it would be nice to cover. I'll try to tackle both 3 and 4 at one point, and shin megami tensei in general. Underrated as hell.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
ThereIsNoSanta said:
Drathnoxis said:
Yeah, thats largely how I felt when I first saw his stuff. Only I was more worried about 'hurr durr illuminaughty' type stuff. But as I watched more, I realized he was honest to god just talking about the subtext, morals and theming. Its so simple, yet rare. If you haven't watched it yet, His Twilight Princess stuff is possibly his best so far.
Hmmm, not liking this one as much. He's reaaally stretching to make sense of some of the garbage in that game, especially that nonsense scene with the shadows and all the blank eyed Ilias.

What I said about "symbolism" goes for the content creators as well as those that interpret it, "symbolism" that is just thrown in for the sake of having "symbolism" but isn't properly set up is worthless. The Ilia hallucination is "symbolism" of the worst kind, and I'm not interested in the slightest in that kind of analysis.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
I'll give his stuff a look when I get home, can't watch youtube at work. A small side note, but the title of the thread immediately made me think of those ads like 'Professors hate him, learn six languages in a month!' or 'Check out this weird trick for losing belly fat!'

ThereIsNoSanta

Sep 17, 2015
Drathnoxis said:
ThereIsNoSanta said:
Drathnoxis said:
Hmmm, not liking this one as much. He's reaaally stretching to make sense of some of the garbage in that game, especially that nonsense scene with the shadows and all the blank eyed Ilias.

What I said about "symbolism" goes for the content creators as well as those that interpret it, "symbolism" that is just thrown in for the sake of having "symbolism" but isn't properly set up is worthless. The Ilia hallucination is "symbolism" of the worst kind, and I'm not interested in the slightest in that kind of analysis.
Eh, to each his own. I found that he did a good job brining up recurring themes in the game. I actually think it's a bit of a stretch to say he's stretching it. He's just bringing up patterns in the game.

IndignantMole

Apr 27, 2016
Overusedname said:
I love me some persona, especially 4. And you're right, a lot of people don't know much about them, so it would be nice to cover. I'll try to tackle both 3 and 4 at one point, and shin megami tensei in general. Underrated as hell.
Persona 4 is the best! My fav RPG ever. Can't wait for that one :D

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
IndignantMole said:
Overusedname said:
Damn straight it is. Honestly I just want more people to know these games exist. Very few popular videos about them as far as I can tell. I'll add persona to the ever growing list, haha.

ThereIsNoSanta

Sep 17, 2015
Overusedname said:
IndignantMole said:
Overusedname said:
Damn straight it is. Honestly I just want more people to know these games exist. Very few popular videos about them as far as I can tell. I'll add persona to the ever growing list, haha.
It's cool to see other people who have played these awesome games. I'd love to see those reviews. Have you played Nocturne? I really think you'd love that one in particular. It tackles really interesting themes about ethically controlling the world's fate. And it's just a good game for masochists. Like you :D

SomethingWorse

Sep 10, 2012
Overusedname said:
SomethingWorse said:
IndignantMole said:
Overusedname said:

Awesome! It's always nice when a youtuber uses his powers for good.