This is kinda awkward...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, a cute girl works at a local Gamestop. Today, I asked her for her phone number and she gave it to me. Small and awkward problem. She shares a name with my cousin. And it's not a terribly common name like Sarah or Jennifer or anything. She's literally the second girl I've ever known or even heard of with this name. The first being my cousin.

So after 20 plus years of the name being synonymous with family, I'm getting this weird mental block that every time I think about her I get things like:
[my cousin] is cute.
I wonder if [my cousin] actually likes me or was just humoring me.
Kinda hope [my cousin] is single. Game playing girls like [my cousin] are never available in my experience.

This isn't some major problem. My cousin isn't a bad person. And its not like I can't tell the difference in my thoughts, it was just an odd mental effect that has been a little awkward for a moment.

So, escapists, the real question is: Have you ever had a similar mental block? Dated a girl/guy that shared a name with a sister/brother/friend? Met a person that looks just like someone else you know? Or just generally had some issue where you had some trouble separating two or more things from each other?

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
I was interested in a guy with the same name as my brother a while back. They looked and acted nothing alike, though, so I never conflated the two. Thus, it really wasn't that awkward.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Nothing like that for me, but my sister's boyfriend, as described by her:

"You dress like dad, you talk like David (my brother), and you have Hank's (me) interests. Oh my god, I'm dating my family!"

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Back in highschool I dated three girls named Brittany back to back to back. It was so weird. Even spelled the same. I didn't like them for their names and all three were very different. (One was a cheerleader, one was an adorable nerd, and one was a psychopath)

I was constantly teased for it, but it was more coincidental and funny than awkward. Though it definitely helped in the whole "mistaking one girl's name for another on accident" issue, ha ha. :p

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
I am a complete introvert.

I had a girl let me know that she liked me, a lot. I liked her too.

She looked EXACTLY like my step-mother.

I HATE my step-mother. Which provided a convenient excuse in my mind to not say anything to her. (like a complete jerk)

AJvsRonin

Nov 11, 2010
Yeah I've had that problem, current GF shares a name with an old ex of mine. She doesn't say it but I can tell shes worried there's some kind of comparison. The ex is now one of those car girl models, the ones who do car shows etc. I'm just like, well you (current GF) have a Masters Degree in Science, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Fortunately my extended family all gave their kids weird names (Aubrey etc) so don't really need to worry about that.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I've dated three girls named Ally. Two of them were Allison, and one was Alisha. But they all went by Ally.

But a good friend of mine has been engaged to two girls named Heather. Both engagements were broken off.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I've never had this type of situation before, but as you get to know her you'll probably get over it. As long as she doesn't act exactly like your cousin that is. XD

Lenvoran

Apr 29, 2010
It'll probably be awkward for a little while, but if you don't worry about it too much. If it's -really- a problem, try mentally adding the last name whenever you talk or think about her (Jane Doe vs Jane Smith).

Little tricks like that can really help remember people and keep them separate. Worked wonders when I had three people I hung out with regularly named David.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
DustyDrB said:
I've dated three girls named Ally. Two of them were Allison, and one was Alisha. But they all went by Ally.

But a good friend of mine has been engaged to two girls named Heather. Both engagements were broken off.
He should probably avoid girls names Heather from now on. At least, that's what I'd tell him.

DJDarque said:
I've never had this type of situation before, but as you get to know her you'll probably get over it. As long as she doesn't act exactly like your cousin that is. XD
Well, assuming anything happens, I doubt that would be a problem. For one thing, this girl is a complete dork (kinda a relief to be the lesser dork). I'm already over that mental block anyway, it was just an interesting effect and I wanted to know if others have experienced similar things. If nothing else, I thought it could be an interesting topic. XD

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Nothing like that for me, but my sister's boyfriend, as described by her:

"You dress like dad, you talk like David (my brother), and you have Hank's (me) interests. Oh my god, I'm dating my family!"
haha my boyfriend is like this too, he is so much like my family, thus he fits right in :p

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Lenvoran said:
It'll probably be awkward for a little while, but if you don't worry about it too much. If it's -really- a problem, try mentally adding the last name whenever you talk or think about her (Jane Doe vs Jane Smith).

Little tricks like that can really help remember people and keep them separate. Worked wonders when I had three people I hung out with regularly named David.
I know three guys named Nick. Occasionally have to clarify by using a last name. Especially when two or more of them are around. From time to time, someone will mention something "Nick" did and I have to ask which one. It can lead to funny conversations from time to time, but never really a big problem.

Dissolve

Garroter of Maladjusted Slobs
Apr 27, 2011
All three girls I've dated have the same birthday. It never bothers me, but I do think it's strange.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
and you have Hank's (me) interests."
I certainly hope she didn't break up with him as, if he shares the same interests in you, anyone is worth dating if they like Spice and Wolf.

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
My sister is dating a guy with the same name as my dad. My friend(s) are dating people with the same name as their brother/sister.

I don't know how people do it. I too think it's really weird. Granted if I met the girl of my dreams and she shared a name with a family member, I wouldn't turn it down... but it still kind of sucks lol.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
My name is Chris and I'm dating a girl named Kristen, which is a little weird but would be a ton more awkward if she went by Kris instead of her full name.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Saltyk said:
So, a cute girl works at a local Gamestop. Today, I asked her for her phone number and she gave it to me. Small and awkward problem. She shares a name with my cousin. And it's not a terribly common name like Sarah or Jennifer or anything. She's literally the second girl I've ever known or even heard of with this name. The first being my cousin.
Go by a nickname. My wife has the same name as my mother (how freudian!) though they spell it differently. My ma also goes by a nickname whereas my wife prefers the full name. This helped get over that hurdle. I don't even think about it anymore unless it's pointed out.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
ZiggyE said:
Macgyvercas said:
and you have Hank's (me) interests."
I certainly hope she didn't break up with him as, if he shares the same interests in you, anyone is worth dating if they like Spice and Wolf.
They're still dating.

And he doesn't have all my interests. Anime is not really his thing, but he loves video games, computers and some science fiction.

Now I just need to find more people who believe that someone is worth dating if they like Spice & Wolf, because I've got that one down.

Talydia

Feb 15, 2011
Closest thing I have is my friend's girlfriend shares the same name as my sister which is weird enough by itself. Definitely can see how that would be weird for you in your situation, just grin and bear it though :p