This perticular hair style just makes me so...disgusted.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Doggular said:
Saelune said:
Less likely to be homophobic in my experience, and that's kind of important to me.
That's fair enough but irrelevant; but this isn't about sexuality, this is about haircuts and judging people based on their appearance.
And that's why I didn't open with that. I started with that I generally find I prefer people with certain styles over others. Shouldn't be surprised that there were reasons why that is.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Doggular said:
Saelune said:
And that's why I didn't open with that. I started with that I generally find I prefer people with certain styles over others. Shouldn't be surprised that there were reasons why that is.
I'm not disagreeing with the idea of personal preference, though I think some of the personal preferences expressed in this thread go back unpleasantly to something like nerd rage against jocks or cool kids (i.e., this guy has hair that makes him super douchey, and yet he's more popular/ripped/consistently getting shagged than me; one of these days everyone will realise they were wrong all along and I was the best person!).

I don't think it's fair to suggest that you can judge whether a person will be homophobic based on their haircut. You could maybe believe/hope a person won't be homophobic based on their subcultural group (which, fair enough, you might infer from their hairstyle), but I think it's a push to suggest members outside of that group (that is, those not indentified by that hairstyle) will, by default, be homophobic (but accept that I have nothing to lose on that judgement because I'm totally into fannies (that's vaginas to you Americans, not butts)).

(And I'd agree that the alternative community is generally more welcoming of difference; what they're not always welcoming of is conformance or the ordinary, even though many things are ordinary/commonplace simply because they are more popular.)
Its more identifying who likely wont be rather than will be, but I find the mainstream preppy types to be well, small-minded. Certainly a man with a haircut other men may not find manly is likely to be less stringy about gay guys. And well, crew/buzz cuts...genuinely make me feel uncomfortable around them. But I always stay open to being wrong about a person.

I'm someone who overly analyses people, for reasons, and well, I find people with certain styles tend to be more like this than that. I'm no scientist, so I cant put it in a study, but this isn't something I just passingly thought.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Saelune said:
Well, for one, I think you think people literally hate people for their style, when really it is greatly disliked. When I actively hate someone, like, legitimately hate, it means I actively hope for bad things to happen to them. Anyone who would actively hope for bad things to happen to people because of their hairstyle are probably shitty people, but I don't think most of the people here are that.
I don't know. Of all the things I've been harassed over in my life, wearing "alternative" fashion is the only thing that seemed to make people so enraged as to attempt to seriously injure me over it. Don't underestimate the human capacity for meaningless and petty hatred.

Saelune said:
Second, alternative styled people usually are more open-minded than those who either just follow trends, or actively dress "normal".
Yes, and no.

Alternative styled people are less likely to hit you with the accusation of simply being "weird" or "gross," but in other ways they can be hyper-judgemental, because they tend to exhibit this conceit that the clothes you wear are really significant to who you are as a person and expect you to get the cultural reference points they do. For example, I grew up in a very small village so when I moved away I was quite naive about a lot of visual culture. I wore stuff I personally liked. Unfortunately, what I liked at the time ended up looking kind of emo. It took about a year of being absolutely shunned at any kind of alternative events before I finally cottoned on to what was happening.

The past few years it's kind of been the same thing again because of the dark wave revival and nu-goth/witch house. I wouldn't say I've lost friends over it, but there are people I have much less time for.

Also, there is a lot of homophobia/transphobia in the alternative scene, in fact it's kind of worse in some ways because people will absolutely insist they can't be homophobic or transphobic because they're alt and that means they're really accepting and much more enlightened (again, assuming clothes signify the type of person they are, rather than you know.. actually being that type of person). Assuming that just because a guy has long hair or wears makeup they're not going to be an arsehole might seem an okay assumption, but it doesn't actually work.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
evilthecat said:
Yes, and no.

Alternative styled people are less likely to hit you with the accusation of simply being "weird" or "gross," but in other ways they can be hyper-judgemental, because they tend to exhibit this conceit that the clothes you wear are really significant to who you are as a person and expect you to get the cultural reference points they do. For example, I grew up in a very small village so when I moved away I was quite naive about a lot of visual culture. I wore stuff I personally liked. Unfortunately, what I liked at the time ended up looking kind of emo. It took about a year of being absolutely shunned at any kind of alternative events before I finally cottoned on to what was happening.
I dunno, I've been shunned for trying to fit in with that scene growing up.

And don't forget they will also go over your music collection with a fine toothed comb, making sure you're listening to what they want you to listen to and if you don't you can kiss your friendship with them goodbye.