This Week's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Is All About World-Building

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
This Week's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Is All About World-Building

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. focuses on Marvel fans... and if you're a fan, the results pay off.

Read Full Article

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Only 3 stars? humm well ok. I thought this was a pretty solid episode, one that moved the overall story along pretty well. I can see how they could be moving towards more of their core fanbase, but a season and a half in, at some point you do have to make the call, "Who are you making this series for?"

Thankfully the show says enjoyable without dragging out needless obstacles to the main plot line. Maybe that is just me, but I like the flow from week to week.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Another week break? Christ how do any US TV shows maintain an audience? and AoS never seems to do well with breaks it always seems to come back with lower ratings and this episode was the most enjoyable yet.

Surprised about no mention of how certain bloggers are calling this episode misogynistic though and how that the MCU seems to be fridging more female characters as it goes on, what with Skye's and Thor's mothers suffering the most gruesome non bad guy deaths.

I wonder if Bob would have been so silent if it was a DC TV show hmm.

vid87

May 17, 2010
-I'm not overly familiar with his previous body of work, but Kyle MacLachlan really is a joy to watch.

-What age range is this show for specifically? Considering this is a prime-time tie-in to a movie series whose fan-base includes young children, I can only picture a young Marvel fan tuning in expecting comic-bookish fun and seeing a woman being carved like meat.

-Did I see correctly that next episode includes May getting a major burn scar on her face? Or is that an imposter?

-Is it me or do ABC shows have a problem with balancing sound? I'm trying to listen to dialogue but it's constantly drowned out by music.

P-89 Scorpion said:
Surprised about no mention of how certain bloggers are calling this episode misogynistic though and how that the MCU seems to be fridging more female characters as it goes on, what with Skye's and Thor's mothers suffering the most gruesome non bad guy deaths.
I've been noticing it throughout the series actually. I mentioned in another episode thread that shows like Stalker get criticized for their violence against women (the pilot apparently involves a woman being set on fire) while this show has a woman set on fire and disintegrate while the female Shield agent has the Inhuman(?) symbols carved into her dead body. It's hard to know exactly how much of this can be said to be justified to establish villains or shock audiences, but I feel like the show seems to be steadily relying on it more even as it tries to balance with more independent character like Skye and Bobbi.

Also, just found this out:

Apparently the worst-kept secret of the show has been confirmed.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Marvels-Agents-Alien-1089443.aspx

Wolyo

Sep 27, 2013
vid87 said:
-
-Did I see correctly that next episode includes May getting a major burn scar on her face? Or is that an imposter?
Didn't watch the image for the next episode but remember the brainwashed Agent 33? May burnt her face with an electric lamp while she was wearing the "winter soldier" mask looking like May. Surely her.

I remember someone on one of those thread calling that the mask was going to fuse with her face.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Whitehall isn't technically "immortal," he aged naturally in a S.H.I.E.L.D. prison until 1989, when he was freed and presented with a mysteriously-ageless recaptured Diviner-proof woman he'd discovered in 1945... whom he dissected alive (making him, on balance, the "nastiest" MCU heavy by far at this point) to create an anti-aging serum for himself.
Actually, my reading of this scene was that they transplanted her internal organs into Whitehall

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Skye's dad became a lot more interesting this episode. Ward's stuff was solid, though it's payoff wasn't all that it was built up to be. Fitz' stuff seemed pointless. I would rather have had them give more time to Ward and his brother. It also seemed kind of rushed in spots. Maybe I was just tired and wasn't focusing, but I honestly had no idea what they were doing in Hawaii/Australia for the first little while.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Jinjer said:
Actually, my reading of this scene was that they transplanted her internal organs into Whitehall
That was my thought as well, but I wasn't paying 100% attention to the show. It would seem odd that he was up and walking after such an invasive surgery though.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Spaceman Spiff said:
Jinjer said:
That was my thought as well, but I wasn't paying 100% attention to the show. It would seem odd that he was up and walking after such an invasive surgery though.
Well considering that he almost instantly de-aged over 40 years, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that the regenerative properties of whatever they did would fix surgery damage too. It's possible Skye's mother just suffered too severe a trauma in too short a time to heal up again (or they can heal, but not regenerate lost limbs or organs).

Kinda reminds me of the Super Serum actually; it made Captain America grow a foot, gain 150 pounds of muscle and fix all his health problems in a matter of minutes. Bucky Barnes also got a version of the serum but wasn't able to grow a new arm

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks Mack might not be a "good guy"? I shrugged off his conversation with Simmons basically telling her to leave Fitz alone before... but with his whole "Did you see Coulson? He was crazy! Maybe we can't trust him?" thing this week... I'm wondering if he's purposefully trying to drive wedges between team members and sew dissent.

Man, I hope he's not just going to be the "Ward" of this season...

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Jinjer said:
Well considering that he almost instantly de-aged over 40 years, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that the regenerative properties of whatever they did would fix surgery damage too. It's possible Skye's mother just suffered too severe a trauma in too short a time to heal up again (or they can heal, but not regenerate lost limbs or organs).

Kinda reminds me of the Super Serum actually; it made Captain America grow a foot, gain 150 pounds of muscle and fix all his health problems in a matter of minutes. Bucky Barnes also got a version of the serum but wasn't able to grow a new arm
All good points. That certainly would explain his recovery time.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Spaceman Spiff said:
Jinjer said:

Now that I think about it, I found what would be the perfect ending for Whitehall - the Doctor vivisecting him in turn and using his organs to de-age Peggy Carter, Whitehall's worst enemy. It would be Schadenfreude-tastic AND give Cap a shot at a happy ending.

It's probably not gonna happen, but a girl can dream!

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Did we ever find out what happened to the third brother? Grant threw him the rope eventually, what happened later?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
A good episode.
You didn't mention Trip getting shot, though.

And kudos for showing some actual horrors in the whole Nazi context!
They did loads of horrible shit like that, after all :(

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
Wolyo said:
vid87 said:
-
Didn't watch the image for the next episode but remember the brainwashed Agent 33? May burnt her face with an electric lamp while she was wearing the "winter soldier" mask looking like May. Surely her.

I remember someone on one of those thread calling that the mask was going to fuse with her face.
I'm beginning to wish they hadn't introduced those at all. I find shape-shifters (or the tech variant, in this case) to be a really tiresome plot device.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I was actually able to sit down and watch this episode as it aired!

I was very uncomfortable with what Whitehall did to that woman. Very, very uncomfortable. So I am hoping that The Doctor keeps his promise and does the exact same thing to Whitehall. That would probably explain why he became a doctor. To make sure he knows exactly what to do to the man. And seeing as he's not exactly human, I'm betting The Doctor has a few extra ways to make Whitehall suffer as he's cutting him apart. Glad to know there's a very painful death waiting for him at the end of the season.
Why yes, I do believe in revenge against someone as twisted as Whitehall.

Okay, Wards parents were jerks. His brother was a jerk. I still don't like the guy because his brother was right: Ward has killed a lot of innocent and good people. I still can't accept the fact that he shot those two SHIELD Agents in the head after they 'saved' his life.
It was interesting to see him in the room at the end with Whitehall and The Doctor, and seeing how they reacted to each other. Made me think that Ward's endgame is in line with The Doctor's, and that the two are working together.

A good, if dark and disturbing, episode.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
P-89 Scorpion said:
Another week break? Christ how do any US TV shows maintain an audience? and AoS never seems to do well with breaks it always seems to come back with lower ratings and this episode was the most enjoyable yet.

I wonder if Bob would have been so silent if it was a DC TV show hmm.
It's like a kid in school, who has great potential, but his parents keep dragging to strange relative homes every other week, and just when he gets his feet, it's off to hairy Aunty Mildred and her hopping cat Tilly!

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
WarpedLord said:
Am I the only one who thinks Mack might not be a "good guy"? I shrugged off his conversation with Simmons basically telling her to leave Fitz alone before... but with his whole "Did you see Coulson? He was crazy! Maybe we can't trust him?" thing this week... I'm wondering if he's purposefully trying to drive wedges between team members and sew dissent.
Or he's the voice of reason. Boss goes nuts, carves designs in walls, and flips out, trapping a fellow team-member to run off on his own? But he's fine now that he saw a train set? Are you SURE?

As for his conversation with Simmons, he could see how her presence was tearing Fitz apart. He's been hanging out with Fitz a lot, he can see what things (like hands-on work) get him focused, and what things (not being able to help, anytime Simmons talks to him) set him off.

Kenjitsuka said:
A good episode.
You didn't mention Trip getting shot, though.
They finally did a good teaser about that during the previous week though. No reveal about who it was, and I was expecting a character to actually get offed, so I was surprised when
Trip very nearly died, but instead allowed us to see how ruthless the Doctor was.

Yuiiut

Jun 9, 2014
Jinjer said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
Jinjer said:

Now that I think about it, I found what would be the perfect ending for Whitehall - the Doctor vivisecting him in turn and using his organs to de-age Peggy Carter, Whitehall's worst enemy. It would be Schadenfreude-tastic AND give Cap a shot at a happy ending.

Really? I can't see this working out-I just cannot imagine Peggy Carter accepting having someone being tortured for her benefit. I mean, she basically says in this episode that yes, Whitehall's methods are effective, and they may need his info, but she can't imagine using it/suffering being around him because of what it entails. I can't see Whitehall being carved up for her benefit as anything other than a moral victory for him-it's like if, in the Dark Knight, the ferries not only blew up, but Batman blew them both up in order to defeat the Joker.

On the 'violence against woman' point: It is becoming a noticeable issue that most of the 'victims' are woman, and I hope that the show overall manages to avoid falling into that trap. However, it's full of strong, independent female characters, so perhaps I'm willing to cut it more slack than I would otherwise.

jabrwock said:
WarpedLord said:
Or he's the voice of reason. Boss goes nuts, carves designs in walls, and flips out, trapping a fellow team-member to run off on his own? But he's fine now that he saw a train set? Are you SURE?
Seconded to this-it would be a major plot hole/mischaracterisation to have the new people completely trust/believe in Carlson just 'because'-I can handle the team, who have history with him, continuing to trust him, but bear in mind for these new people their world has been turned upside down-SHIELD collapsing, HYDRA rising again and being a genuine threat, and now they're asked to 'trust' someone who appears to be completely off his rocker? There's plenty of in-character reasons for them to be very suspicious.

On topic: I liked this episode-I really, really, like how fast the show is moving along in it's plots now, and am looking forward to the next episode, when we should be getting some fairly big reveals. I wonder-as the obsession/carving came out of the GH formula's genetic desire to reach the city, does this mean that Carlson will start getting edgy and impatient to go there? I mean, they'll probably head straight there anyway, but if they get detoured for any reason, I wonder if Carlson will start acting up again.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Yuiiut said:
Jinjer said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
Jinjer said:

Really? I can't see this working out-I just cannot imagine Peggy Carter accepting having someone being tortured for her benefit. I mean, she basically says in this episode that yes, Whitehall's methods are effective, and they may need his info, but she can't imagine using it/suffering being around him because of what it entails. I can't see Whitehall being carved up for her benefit as anything other than a moral victory for him-it's like if, in the Dark Knight, the ferries not only blew up, but Batman blew them both up in order to defeat the Joker.
I never said that Peggy would be a willing participant in this (remember, at the time of TWS she is already bedridden and her dementia is worsening). What I meant is that the Doctor is obviously biding his time to backstab Whitehall at just the right moment and would probably give the bastard his Karmic comeuppance with relish and work as much irony in as possible. Doing the same thing to Whitehall as he did to the Doctor's wife AND driving it home that it's going to be used to cure the woman who had him locked in a hole for a couple of decades would be the proverbial icing on the revenge cake IMHO