"This **** will not beat me."

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm pretty much that that with some of the harder monster on Monster Hunter Tri espically the last monster Alatreon. Sure while I refuse to let that dragon take the pleasure of killing me but its has no problem killing my teammates...
I hate the fact that the whole "3 lives and it's game over" is a share among the team (so many fail mission due to the other members getting killed alot).

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
Forgotten Realms Demon Stone.

I say that in a negative way.

I found it in a 5 dollar bin and thought why not? I loved Forgotten Realms and I love the lore so a game based off of my favorite RPG setting would be just dandy no? Boy was I wrong...

A good couple of hours in the game showed its difficulty. I felt the pressure of staying alive but I was still doing well up until I get to a specific boss fight.

At this point I begin to notice a few factors. 1) The enemy AI is ruthless and will not give you space to breath. 2) My companion AIs are dumber than a bucket of bricks. (And that is insulting the bricks.)

So here I am attacking this dragon Caminus (I was playing the Fighter class) hitting and slashing at the baddy. My Sorcerer AI and Rogue AI just STOOD THERE! Not attacking. Just chatting it up probably compiling a list of witty remarks to tell Black Staff the next time we see him (IF we ever saw him again).

I lost count how many times I died in this game against that dragon. But I wouldn't give up. I kept redoing, redoing, redoing until I FINALLY killed the bugger and then I looked at the time. I spent well over 6 hours trying to kill him. 6 FREAKING HOURS but he was dead and I was satisfied.

Then I took a hammer to the CD.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Heavy Rain's last Ethan moment, because that was so emotional that I would restart the section by quickly turning off the PS3 so that the kid wouldn't die. Fuck that QTE but I did it.

Fine in a actual game ya' pansys. Cave Story Hell level, I eventually gave up, but I so did not want to.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Mafia II. It's not that it was difficult in any way, it's just aggressively boring, and it reuses plot points like a *****. I started feeling like spoony/angry joe/AVGN right around chapter 6 when it made me clean toilets. But in the end, at around chapter 14 part 1 where I was in debt because a drug deal went bad for the third time in the game, I just stopped. Because at that point, I felt the game couldn't pull itself out and be any better than it had been previously. The game is a boring slog, and if you want cover based shooting, just get a gears of war game.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
There was something about this last week on 8 out of 10 cats (TV show in Britain) and one of the comics said something like:

"I suck at real life, so I play games so I can be awesome. If a game is too hard and I suck at that too, I curl up on the floor and cry."

I agree mostly with this. I love a challenging game, dont get me wrong Ninja Gaiden ( the first one and arguabley 2 ) were amazing and very rewarding because of their difficulty. But if it is punishing, I believe it is a waste of time as I may as well be doing something more productive.

Or playing online. I suck at online, die loadsss. But least I have friends that are supportive. Kinda. Well not at all actually.

WhyBotherToTry

Jun 22, 2011
Final Fantasy 13. The bosses in that game had such cheap attacks, it pissed me off to no end. By the end of the game I wasn't even enjoying it anymore, I was just determined to prove that it wasn't better than I am. To this day it remains the only game that made me so angry that I lost sleep over it.
To a lesser extent, Dark Souls. I was with my first character for about 40 hours and got as far as Sen's Fortress and kept getting killed by the traps, so today I restarted as a Pyromancer and achieved in 45 minutes what took my previous character about 4 hours.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Super Mario Bros. 2, the lost levels version on Wii. Dear god that's hard. I wasn't really having fun eventually, the game was too hard to be fun, but I kept going, and won. It took probably half a year to do, but I did it. To give you an example of how rediculous this game is just go to level 8-2. If you get to the end of the level, you'll just run into a wall. You can sit there and wait for time to run out, or you can realize that you need to find a secret vine. Where is this vine? Well it's in a block over a cliff, with a red paratroopa. To hit it without dying, you have to make a running jump at the very edge of the cliff and hit the troopa at the exact right time to both hit the block and make it to the other side. Also, don't forget, that troopa doesn't come back so even if you survive you only have one shot. If you blow it to many times it's back to the begginning of the game for you. I think this game is the reason Atlus games seem so unappealing to me. It sucked all the masochism right out of me.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
Insanity difficulty in the first Mass Effect, playing as an adept, a new (low level) character, and the final Krogan battlemaster on Therum. God fucking damnit, that was a fight I'll never forget. It took me almost three hours to kill that bastard, I died more times than I care to remember, invented a few new (and fairly incoherent) expletives, attained levels of furious rage I previously thought impossible, but I preservered. The feeling of satisfaction upon finally killing him was well worth it.

DesertMummy

Jan 6, 2011
Grand Theft Auto 3 ported on the Xbox. The controls were atrocious, not to mention the unnecessary timers on 90% of the missions. Seriously, fuck that game. Also, Gears of War. No, I'm serious. It was mainly due to the fact the game wants you to sit in cover like a good little boy, and play the game like a pop up shooting gallery at a carnival. But you know what? That's boring! So fuck that, I ran around playing the game like it was half life, barley ever using cover. Boy, did I ever get my ass whooped! But I soldiered on, and beat the game, and shortly after hurled my disc onto concrete, shattering it to bits because I lived through all that difficulty for a shit story nobody cares about. Fuck both those games

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
The Tricky Chest Chases in Rayman Origins. If any controllers were to be smashed in this game, these would be the culprits.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
HeWhoFightsBosses said:
The Tricky Chest Chases in Rayman Origins. If any controllers were to be smashed in this game, these would be the culprits.
...Just watching the first part of that video made me think, "Kayin has NOTHING on this."

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I'd say Dungeon Defenders on Nightmare. It's incredibly difficult compared to the rest of the game (if only because there are enemies that spawn that you might have never seen before, and they require a fresh way of thinking compared to even Insane mode), especially when you're only starting to get into mythical equipment (but it's also a requirement to get said equipment). Still, I'm determined to do everything (eventually) on Nightmare, so I'm inching my way through it.
Mythical equipment drops on insane difficulty.

Also if your having problems, your obviously not playing as the squire. . .he is still stupidly OP, and probably will continue to be.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Although I enjoy fighting over the top fighters (Marvel vs. Capcom series, Skullgirls, Super Smash Bros. series, etc.), I can never seem to master/get as good to play competitively. And it isn't because I don't practice or play solely with experts, but I just get to a point where I get good with some characters and just peak a few steps before actually reaching tournament level skills.

I still just play for fun and I'm not really out to win tournaments anyway.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
I refuse to stop playing Guilty Gear even though I have been fighting the same boss for 3 hours something in me just wants to keep going until I have proven my superiority over a machine.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
Wandering dragon/drake/wyrm in Dragon's Dogma (in Devilfire Grove, for those familiar with the game)... he promptly roasted/stomped me several times, but I eventually figured him out. Leveled up a bit, refined skills, upgraded equipment and went back and just barely skated out of the ensuing fight victorious.

Been gaming a long time, but that was the most personally rewarding fight I've ever had. :3

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
ChromaticWolfen said:
Gears of War, General RAAM on Insanity difficulty. I spent two weeks trying to kill him just so I could beat the game on its hardest difficulty. When I head kill him it twas a glorious sight. Still to this day my greatest gaming achievements.
Something curious happened to me with RAAM. Couldn't even beat him on Normal difficulty. So I stopped playing. 6 months later, I re-started playing the game on Insane and got to kill that bastard on my first try. One of the best moments of my gaming life (with all the achievements popping up)

OT: Your case reminds me when I started playing Counter-Strike I, literally, died so many times I didn't even enjoy the game, but, I kept goin' (for the sake of it, I suppose). And I, now, consider myself pretty decent CS player.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
GenericAmerican said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I'd say Dungeon Defenders on Nightmare. It's incredibly difficult compared to the rest of the game (if only because there are enemies that spawn that you might have never seen before, and they require a fresh way of thinking compared to even Insane mode), especially when you're only starting to get into mythical equipment (but it's also a requirement to get said equipment). Still, I'm determined to do everything (eventually) on Nightmare, so I'm inching my way through it.
Mythical equipment drops on insane difficulty.

Also if your having problems, your obviously not playing as the squire. . .he is still stupidly OP, and probably will continue to be.
Yeah, crappy low tier Mythical stuff, and in wave 16+ on survival. I know, I have some. That's one of the problems with random drops.

Anyway, my main builder is a Countess, but I also have an Aura Initiate, Trap Huntress and Wall EV, along with a DPS Monk. I just managed to solo Aquanos Insane last night, and now I'll be farming Trans Seahorses, that should help.

As for having problems, keep in mind my highest character in level 78 (DPS Monk) and I have no stats above 800 yet.